JormaJormala

CORONAVIRUS threatening to end NBA season early?

28 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

People who were going after Gobert because he is French or because he got the virus ate either racist or stupid.  Most likely both.

Or scared. Some people act before they stop and think.

donovan tested positive

I am really worried about the US where majority of the games are played.  I think if NBA wants to be smart then the season is over.

I see no coherent plan at the federal level in US to fight the virus.  Travel ban  for non-US citizens from Europe will do nothing. How about US citizens coming back? 

20+ millions people are  without health insurance. How many of them have virus without knowing it?

Even people with insurance don't get tested,  either because of extra fees or lack of testing kits.

My uncle in Houston went to see the doctor and was told that he will have to pay over $1,000 in extra fees to get tested  despite having insurance from work. That shouldn't be the case.

It seems to me that main goal is to win election in November, not to help people like my uncle.

In my opinion US badly need to join the rest of developed world and create a health care that is free and covers everyone. Canada is very grateful for what Tommy Douglas did in the 60s.

In case you need to read something now the NBA is done:

https://canadiandimension.com/articles/view/the-birth-of-medicare

• Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

I am really worried about the US where majority of the games are played.  I think if NBA wants to be smart then the season is over.

I see no coherent plan at the federal level in US to fight the virus.  Travel ban  for non-US citizens from Europe will do nothing. How about US citizens coming back? 

In his address last night he said Americans can get back after going through thorough evaluation and such

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

20+ millions people are  without health insurance. How many of them have virus without knowing it?

Even people with insurance don't get tested,  either because of extra fees or lack of testing kits.

My uncle in Houston went to see the doctor and was told that he will have to pay over $1,000 in extra fees to get tested  despite having insurance from work. That shouldn't be the case.

It seems to me that main goal is to win election in November, not to help people like my uncle.

In my opinion US badly need to join the rest of developed world and create a health care that is free and covers everyone. Canada is very grateful for what Tommy Douglas did in the 60s.

In case you need to read something now the NBA is done:

https://canadiandimension.com/articles/view/the-birth-of-medicare

Testing should be mandatory(for those with symptoms in certain fields) and available to all during a pandemic and funded by the federal government. This crisis might be the moment that sets off a movement for socialized health care.

Edited by Spyplane

Posted (edited)
  • Its crazy how weeks ago we saw this thread and thought what a joke whats the point of it even posted and now here we are and its happening. My guess it he NBA season will not be cancelled but postponned. Maybe next season they will cut the games to 50 or 60 games total to counter that. Theres is no difference in restarting the current season later versus starting a new season so why would they waste everything teams fought for and throw it in the trash.
Edited by the1gq2nvy

14 minutes ago, the1gq2nvy said:
  • Its crazy how weeks ago we saw this thread and thought what a joke whats the point of it even posted and now here we are and its happening. My guess it he NBA season will not be cancelled but postponned. Maybe next season they will cut the games to 50 or 60 games total to counter that. Theres is no difference in restarting the current season later versus starting a new season so why would they waste everything teams fought for and throw it in the trash.

I know for me, I can admit that I didn’t it would happen when this was first posted. I thought at most they could go to just empty arenas games. And I smh at the fact that how could I have been so naive and not seen that this was always the inevitability. Of course at least one player or someone with the team was going to get it and they would have to stop playing for awhile.

I think they are going to resume starting with the playoffs (probably even shorten the first round back to best of 5) or maybe just play 4 or 5 more regular season games just so teams aren’t rusty going into the playoffs.

2 minutes ago, Tekno Team 2000 said:

I know for me, I can admit that I didn’t it would happen when this was first posted. I thought at most they could go to just empty arenas games. And I smh at the fact that how could I have been so naive and not seen that this was always the inevitability. Of course at least one player or someone with the team was going to get it and they would have to stop playing for awhile.

I think they are going to resume starting with the playoffs (probably even shorten the first round back to best of 5) or maybe just play 4 or 5 more regular season games just so teams aren’t rusty going into the playoffs.

If I was the league i would think its not fair to shorten the season since the 8th spots in both sides are still fair game. If anything push back the season and have the 2020 season be shorten down to 50 or so games similiar to when the nba went on strike a few years back. At least that way every team will be on a fair playing field next year and still maintain a fairness for this season.

39 minutes ago, kmoore1521 said:

In his address last night he said Americans can get back after going through thorough evaluation and such

I fear it is just a smokescreen and  saying something  to give impression something has been done.  Number of coronavirus tests  in US is way behind other countries.  I don't believe it at all that US does not have the ability to produce significantly more tests.

Canada  and  South Korea learned their lesson from past experiences,  I don't think US did ( see  (https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sars-toronto-coronavirus-pandemic-1.5492807 , https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-51836898)

If Medicare for All that Bernie is proposing was already in place it would have been completely different  situations. But  I will leave it to the US citizens to sort that out.

On fantasy front, next season will probably be shortened.  Load management should not be a big  issue, Kawhi could be top 5 pick.

Good luck neighbors and stay safe. 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, the1gq2nvy said:

If I was the league i would think its not fair to shorten the season since the 8th spots in both sides are still fair game. If anything push back the season and have the 2020 season be shorten down to 50 or so games similiar to when the nba went on strike a few years back. At least that way every team will be on a fair playing field next year and still maintain a fairness for this season.

Yeah I like that. If they were to do that, for next season tho, when they start and how many games they shorten it to is critical because they don’t want to be in a situation where it’s too condensed and they need to then schedule more back to backs or even have back to back to backs.  

Edited by Tekno Team 2000

6 hours ago, Spyplane said:

3.2% of all infected will die

lol.  No.

20 minutes ago, alexstr said:

lol.  No.

Damn you really have the temerity to return to this thread after the foolish condescending pseudo-sophisticated bull**** you shared on here early on?  Takes a lot of nerve to have your idiocy exposed just to come back and further speak down to others on this thread.

Pathetic 

On 3/1/2020 at 9:09 PM, alexstr said:

Sheep, swayed by whatever clickbait headline you read.

Next week you'll be talking about black mold, the week after that trans fats

Lololololololol 

37 minutes ago, alexstr said:

lol.  No.

why are you here? you already exposed yourself for being a self-righteous fool who thinks hes not a sheep because he believes in his own false narrative. You are worse than a sheep, you are those kind of people who are always the first to die in any kind of scenario.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The craziest thing about this whole thing is now other leagues are following suit. The MLB and NHL already suspended activities until further notice, and more than likely March Madness will be postponed too. Going to a be a problem for companies like Yahoo!, ESPN, and a whole lot of other daily fantasy business to figure out what to do now. To be honest, all these things happening in sports are minuscule when it comes to the big picture. As someone who works in healthcare, it has come to my attention how serious the ramifications are of someone who contracts this virus. Not to mention the lack of hospital space that will occur once more cases pop up in the Unites States. I hope that everyone is able to remain safe wherever you are in the world and please be responsible with your actions during this time of the COVID-19 pandemic. All we can do now is further prevent the spread of the infection and pray that a vaccine is made before things truly get out of hand.

Edited by NoahsArc
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

One can hope for vaccine, but is not coming anytime soon.  According to BBC news " Currently there is no vaccine for this new coronavirus, although scientists in many countries are working hard to develop one. Scientists say realistically, one won't be ready until at least the middle of next year. Testing of vaccines on animals has already started and if that goes to plan, there could be human trials later in the year." (https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51818627) 

Edited by Gile Pile
  • Thanks 1

Adam Silver just told teams expect A MINIMUM of a 30 day suspended season. Fantasy season is over.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

Adam Silver just told teams expect A MINIMUM of a 30 day suspended season. Fantasy season is over.

Why do you keep saying this all over these boards? Nobody knows at this point. No reason to work yourself into a tizzy. 

5 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Why do you keep saying this all over these boards? Nobody knows at this point. No reason to work yourself into a tizzy. 

Because it was announced that he told teams at minimum 30 days suspension will be held????

3 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

Because it was announced that he told teams at minimum 30 days suspension will be held????

Ok but that still doesn’t mean the fantasy season is over. 

2 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

Ok but that still doesn’t mean the fantasy season is over. 

Ok. I like the hope you have. I will stop saying the inevitable.

1 minute ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

Ok. I like the hope you have. I will stop saying the inevitable.

Silver did inquire teams to figure out the availability of their arenas for the months of June July and August. That right there is a sign that there is at least discussion going on about resuming the season at some point down the line. They could resume in 30 days or 2 months. Point is nobody knows how this will all unfold at this juncture. If you believe it’s inevitable and want to start divvying up the money now before the season is over that’s cool too. Personally I’ll wait patiently until I see “insert coin” flash across the screen. 

8 hours ago, Spyplane said:

Gobert is a basketball player. He made a bad joke and humorously (very dark humor) it bit him in the a**. He doesn't deserve to be publicly shamed for this.

My guess is he secretly is scared about it but he's "tough" and so he has to show how "tough" he is. Now he really gets to prove it, unfortunately.

Haha, I mostly agree.  I do think he needs/needed to take in a few of the jokes and public shaming, at least for a bit.  It's definitely warranted, given how ignorant he was and how he literally directly affected not only his own teammates but entire direction/course of the NBA.

But I also think there needs to be a time that the joking stops.  We're talking about a guy who might (though unlikely) die from CNV.  It's in bad taste to kick a man while he's not only down but seriously sick.  And really, it's important that we worry about ourselves now, instead of poking fun or blaming people, and start working together to figure out what to do and how to protect ourselves/each other.

• Like 1

I think it is over for fantasy this year.   I've already moved on and started preparing for next season.

Best case is that after 30 days minimum suspension NBA resumes. And this is not going to happen given how situation in US is developing. 

If the NBA resumes after 60 days that takes us to mid May.  With approximately 15 games remaining for each team.  4 games per week and it will take another month. Playoffs start mid-June and they can complete mid-August.

Who is going to watch NBA in the summer with 2020 Olympics and baseball season in full swing?  What if one team or just one player says "It is not safe to resume playing"?

In my opinion most likely scenario is that NBA decide to cancel  rest of the season. Playoff seeding is decided by either current standings or some sort of lottery. 

If/when NBA resumes I think we will see playoff games

• Like 1