JormaJormala

CORONAVIRUS threatening to end NBA season early?

8 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

I think it is over for fantasy this year.   I've already moved on and started preparing for next season.

Best case is that after 30 days minimum suspension NBA resumes. And this is not going to happen given how situation in US is developing. 

If the NBA resumes after 60 days that takes us to mid May.  With approximately 15 games remaining for each team.  4 games per week and it will take another month. Playoffs start mid-June and they can complete mid-August.

Who is going to watch NBA in the summer with 2020 Olympics and baseball season in full swing?  What if one team or just one player says "It is not safe to resume playing"?

In my opinion most likely scenario is that NBA decide to cancel  rest of the season. Playoff seeding is decided by either current standings or some sort of lottery. 

If/when NBA resumes I think we will see playoff games

Yup. Straight to postseason. The standings rn are identical to the lockout season in 2012. 

12 hours ago, MWon said:

Yeah, that's actually what I did as the commish for all my leagues.  I locked roster changes as well though (not that moving around your players matters much when there are no games).  It simply isn't fair to grab drop injured players off the IL (e.g. Isaac or Brog) to take direct advantage of the virus affecting the league (though I was easily able to do so myself).

Ah, this is what I'm hoping will happen - quarantine everyone for at least 2-4 weeks, then test all rostered players and anyone coming to the arenas.  Once cleared, have fan-less games (I dunno about Ronnie2k, haha), and possibly shorten the season.  The NBA can at least make money off the televised revenue to compensate for ticket sales and other losses.  It'd also be more fair to higher seeded NBA teams (e.g. Bucks, Raptors, Lakers, Nuggets) who have worked hard to win games.

Would also possibly allow us to play fantasy this season and avoid issues with money leagues and/or owners with high seeding (though that's a bit selfish on my end since I'm winning quite a few leagues).  Of course, there's also the side effect of giving time to guys like Simmons and KAT to potentially return this season (again, selfish on my end since I've got them, lol).

Definitely wouldn't be surprised if they canceled the entire season though, or at least postponed it for a prolonged amount of time.

nah they wont cancel, they need to crown a victor.  They'll resume once all the players got the clear

I am in a roto league with 12 others and we all bought in at start of the year.. Due to the cornavirus and shut down of NBA what would you do as commish?

A) Pay out based on current positions (even though some have played way more games - already maxed out some positions..)

B) Return everyone's money and call it a Force Majure event...

C) Something else... 

3 minutes ago, cheehc said:

I am in a roto league with 12 others and we all bought in at start of the year.. Due to the cornavirus and shut down of NBA what would you do as commish?

A) Pay out based on current positions (even though some have played way more games - already maxed out some positions..)

C) Something else... 

B is only fair way to handle it in roto.  Too much discrepancy in games played. 

5 minutes ago, cheehc said:

C) Something else... 

Wait it out or A.

3 minutes ago, cheehc said:

C) Something else... 

Just keep waiting for now. There isn't enough information about the remainder of the season to make a decision. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

Wait it out or A.

In roto teams currently in 1st place often have already maxed out their games played.

Edited by El_Chingon

1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

I think it is over for fantasy this year.   I've already moved on and started preparing for next season.

Best case is that after 30 days minimum suspension NBA resumes. And this is not going to happen given how situation in US is developing. 

If the NBA resumes after 60 days that takes us to mid May.  With approximately 15 games remaining for each team.  4 games per week and it will take another month. Playoffs start mid-June and they can complete mid-August.

Who is going to watch NBA in the summer with 2020 Olympics and baseball season in full swing?  What if one team or just one player says "It is not safe to resume playing"?

In my opinion most likely scenario is that NBA decide to cancel  rest of the season. Playoff seeding is decided by either current standings or some sort of lottery. 

If/when NBA resumes I think we will see playoff games

at this rate olympics are going to be cancelled as well and moved for another year, they are discussed that...fifa is taking the same measures for european football championship this summer (will probably be played out in the summer of 2021) so its not impossible that we see all of the remaining games played out (i mean the pelicans, kings, blazers are going to be the loudest ones to argue not playing the full remaining schedule)...they have to salvage all of this somehow

We will see what happens, but this has potential to have bigger and longer impact on US than 9/11.

11 minutes ago, L3onD said:

(i mean the pelicans, kings, blazers are going to be the loudest ones to argue not playing the full remaining schedule)

I find it hard to believe any of these organizations will publicly complain about how the NBA decides to handle the rest of the season considering the NBA wants to make $$$ just as much as each franchise does.  Sure they will express disappointment but all owners understand the NBA has to protect their product's reputation in the eyes of the public, and will just have to deal with whatever the outcome is.  

1 hour ago, El_Chingon said:

In roto teams currently in 1st place often have already maxed out their games played.

Not necessarily. I'm staring at leagues I'm in where the most I see is a +5 while managers benching / emptying their slots. So it is a understanding. 

1 hour ago, Trench Mob said:

Not necessarily. I'm staring at leagues I'm in where the most I see is a +5 while managers benching / emptying their slots. So it is a understanding. 

Right, not necessarily in every case.  But in multiple leagues the top 3 teams in the $ are double digits ahead in games played.  Very unfair to prematurely appoint them winners. 

3 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

In my case, I'm comfortably coming 1st with the least amount of games played out of the top 5 teams in the standings.

I'm not taking anything less than the full payout, considering I've been 1st place for the majority of the season. 

On 3/1/2020 at 11:12 AM, RedDogNamedClippers said:

Dang, we bringing fear tactics to the NBA as well. Let’s list.

h1N1

SaRS

Ebola

Bird Flu

Swine Flu

How many games were cancelled?

This aged well 

On 3/1/2020 at 9:26 PM, alexstr said:

OK, lets talk next week when you've forgotten about COVID and crying about grain fed beef being the next plague.  See ya then

This aged well #2

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, maxim730 said:

This aged well 

25 minutes ago, maxim730 said:

This aged well #2

Unlike your maturity. Which is not ageing well.

Edited by freddo

It's like WWIII is these grocery stores. I'd advice to get whatever you need ASAP. This sh*t is real.

2 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

It's like WWIII is these grocery stores. I'd advice to get whatever you need ASAP. This sh*t is real.

also I’d advise everyone to stop buying all the ******** toilet paper!! Toilet paper?!?! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, itguy said:

In my case, I'm comfortably coming 1st with the least amount of games played out of the top 5 teams in the standings.

I'm not taking anything less than the full payout, considering I've been 1st place for the majority of the season. 

But since roto is an 82 game season, not fair to uniformly pay out all leagues based on current standings when some teams in the $ are there due only to  being ahead in games played.  In some leagues I am also sitting in 1st while also conserving my games played.   However in other leagues I am comfortably in 3rd - 5th place while the guys ahead of me in the standings have played double digit games more than me due to prematurely maxing out their games played.  Why should they be paid and rewarded for this?

19 minutes ago, sharkpotato said:

also I’d advise everyone to stop buying all the ******** toilet paper!! Toilet paper?!?! 

I'm most pissed about people buying up the hand sanitizers and then some reselling them for $30-40 a bottle. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Raiiny said:

I'm most pissed about people buying up the hand sanitizers and then some reselling them for $30-40 a bottle. 

Always those people. I remember in 2003 new york city had a blackout so there was no power anywhere. How much was it to take a cab? They would effin charge what would normally be $10 ride like $70. 

42 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

But since roto is an 82 game season, not fair to uniformly pay out all leagues based on current standings when some teams in the $ are there due only to  being ahead in games played.  In some leagues I am also sitting in 1st while also conserving my games played.   However in other leagues I am comfortably in 3rd - 5th place while the guys ahead of me in the standings have played double digit games more than me due to prematurely maxing out their games played.  Why should they be paid and rewarded for this?

I understand that if you're coming 1st but also have one of the highest total games played, then you should not be rewarded prematurely. 

I'm arguing the fact that if a team is clearly in front (with the fewer games played), then they should not have to compensate for others when they were 90% going to win.

It'll be a similar situation in the English Premier League and how Liverpool is miles ahead of next team behind them.