JormaJormala

CORONAVIRUS threatening to end NBA season early?

Recommended Posts

11 minutes ago, srb said:

We have a flu vaccine and things in place to manage the flu. 

Some numbers: 

In the 4-month span from October '19 to February '20, there have been at least 32 million flu cases, 310,000 flu hospitalizations, and 18,000 flu deaths in the US alone.

No hysteria and talk about cancelling the NBA season.

But all of a sudden...there's a slightly different strain of flu....that is killing around 1% of people (mostly old and immunocompromized...just like...you know...the flu) in a poor, rural part of China with horrible health care and infrastructure....and it's the apocalypse and we need to cancel the NBA season.

lol

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, alexstr said:

Some numbers: 

In the 4-month span from October '19 to February '20, there have been at least 32 million flu cases, 310,000 flu hospitalizations, and 18,000 flu deaths in the US alone.

No hysteria and talk about cancelling the NBA season.

But all of a sudden...there's a slightly different strain of flu....that is killing around 1% of people (mostly old and immunocompromized...just like...you know...the flu) in a poor, rural part of China with horrible health care and infrastructure....and it's the apocalypse and we need to cancel the NBA season.

lol

The corona virus is more deadlier than the flu.

flu strains kill about 0.1% of people who become infected. 

The New England Journal of Medicine, finds a cononavirus kill rate of : 1.4% 

1.4 >>>> 0.1 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, alexstr said:

Some numbers: 

In the 4-month span from October '19 to February '20, there have been at least 32 million flu cases, 310,000 flu hospitalizations, and 18,000 flu deaths in the US alone.

No hysteria and talk about cancelling the NBA season.

But all of a sudden...there's a slightly different strain of flu....that is killing around 1% of people (mostly old and immunocompromized...just like...you know...the flu) in a poor, rural part of China with horrible health care and infrastructure....and it's the apocalypse and we need to cancel the NBA season.

lol

Lol you use the common flu stats to try and back up your overreaction argument but are dismissing the numbers that are coming out about the Corona Virus. Sounds legit

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, alexstr said:

Some numbers: 

In the 4-month span from October '19 to February '20, there have been at least 32 million flu cases, 310,000 flu hospitalizations, and 18,000 flu deaths in the US alone.

No hysteria and talk about cancelling the NBA season.

But all of a sudden...there's a slightly different strain of flu....that is killing around 1% of people (mostly old and immunocompromized...just like...you know...the flu) in a poor, rural part of China with horrible health care and infrastructure....and it's the apocalypse and we need to cancel the NBA season.

lol

It’s not the apocalypse but it’s a pretty different situation from the flu. Let’s say you’re a 30 year old dude getting cancer treatment. You can get a flu shot and have a pretty good chance of not dying when you’re exposed to the flu. If you’re exposed to a new virus like this in a pandemic situation, it’s a different ballgame. 
 

If it doesn’t end up too bad it’ll be because it’s taken seriously and proactively managed. Going the “lol it’s just like the flu” route as a society prob not very smart. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, srb said:

It’s not the apocalypse but it’s a pretty different situation from the flu. Let’s say you’re a 30 year old dude getting cancer treatment. You can get a flu shot and have a pretty good chance of not dying when you’re exposed to the flu. If you’re exposed to a new virus like this in a pandemic situation, it’s a different ballgame. 
 

If it doesn’t end up too bad it’ll be because it’s taken seriously and proactively managed. Going the “lol it’s just like the flu” route as a society prob not very smart. 

Hi, fellow person with a brain. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, srb said:

It’s not the apocalypse but it’s a pretty different situation from the flu. Let’s say you’re a 30 year old dude getting cancer treatment. You can get a flu shot and have a pretty good chance of not dying when you’re exposed to the flu. If you’re exposed to a new virus like this in a pandemic situation, it’s a different ballgame. 
 

If it doesn’t end up too bad it’ll be because it’s taken seriously and proactively managed. Going the “lol it’s just like the flu” route as a society prob not very smart. 

"It's a pretty different situation than the flu"

Gives no evidence that it's any different from the flu, starts rambling about cancer treatment

"Yeah, so as you can see, it's a different ballgame"

lol

I'm sorry, I base my opinions on numbers and statistics, not bro-logic, so I guess we're just coming at this from different perspectives.  To each their own.

Edited by alexstr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, alexstr said:

"It's a pretty different situation than the flu"

Gives no evidence that it's any different from the flu, starts rambling about cancer treatment

"Yeah, so as you can see, it's a different ballgame"

How can I argue with this logic?

Crazy that Trump deployed his bots into the Rotoworld fantasy forums

  • Like 1
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How hard is it to ask for people to wash their hands after using the restroom -_-

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weed is definitely the best deterrent if the Cabin in the Woods is any indication. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alexstr said:

 

OK, lets talk next week when you've forgotten about COVID and crying about grain fed beef being the next plague.  See ya then

I know it's a fantasy forum and i do not wish to discuss too deeply or spread terror or overreaction upon the virus, but the fact is it's NOT common flu. Please do not underestimate.

I hope you guys have a healthy life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Trench Mob said:

How hard is it to ask for people to wash their hands after using the restroom -_-

Is it common people do not wash their hands after using the restroom in your place?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

The corona virus is more deadlier than the flu.

flu strains kill about 0.1% of people who become infected. 

The New England Journal of Medicine, finds a cononavirus kill rate of : 1.4% 

1.4 >>>> 0.1 

 

Not quite that straightforward.  Coronavirus fatality rate varies depending on age and if one has existing conditions.  

  • 14.8% if you're 80+
  • 8% if you're in your 70's
  • 3.6% in 60's
  • 1.3% in 50's
  • 0.4% in 40's
  • and 0.2% for 10-39 
  • and no fatalities for children 0-9 recorded.

Those with comorbidities have a 7-13.2% death rate, however pre-existing medical conditions also tend to be more common among the aged.

One more factor that hasn't really hit the numbers yet given the small sample is the effect of medical responsiveness & capability of the regions who have seen the most cases.  

  • China with 80k cases and 2.9k deaths has a 3.63% overall fatality rate.  (again w/o knowing the demographics of the affected areas we wouldn't be able to draw any conclusions. e.g. maybe Wuhan has a higher percentage of older people. Maybe their medical care isn't as good as say, South Korea or the US.)
  • South Korea has 4.2k cases and 22 deaths or .5% overall fatality rate.  

 

Anyway, my 2 cents is based on these figures and the ages of the athletes, NBA players have what looks like a 0.2% chance of dying from coronavirus.

One solution might be for the league to recommend those in attendance over the age of 50 to wear a mask and wash their hands before eating or touching their eyes.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ragrag said:

 

Not quite that straightforward.  Coronavirus fatality rate varies depending on age and if one has existing conditions.  

  • 14.8% if you're 80+
  • 8% if you're in your 70's
  • 3.6% in 60's
  • 1.3% in 50's
  • 0.4% in 40's
  • and 0.2% for 10-39 
  • and no fatalities for children 0-9 recorded.

Those with comorbidities have a 7-13.2% death rate, however pre-existing medical conditions also tend to be more common among the aged.

One more factor that hasn't really hit the numbers yet given the small sample is the effect of medical responsiveness & capability of the regions who have seen the most cases.  

  • China with 80k cases and 2.9k deaths has a 3.63% overall fatality rate.  (again w/o knowing the demographics of the affected areas we wouldn't be able to draw any conclusions. e.g. maybe Wuhan has a higher percentage of older people. Maybe their medical care isn't as good as say, South Korea or the US.)
  • South Korea has 4.2k cases and 22 deaths or .5% overall fatality rate.  

 

Anyway, my 2 cents is based on these figures and the ages of the athletes, NBA players have what looks like a 0.2% chance of dying from coronavirus.

One solution might be for the league to recommend those in attendance over the age of 50 to wear a mask and wash their hands before eating or touching their eyes.

 

 

Wait no didn't you read the Buzzfeed or CNN articles? We're all going to die and it's Donald Trump's fault!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, alexstr said:

 

Wait no didn't you read the Buzzfeed or CNN articles? We're all going to die and it's Donald Trump's fault!

 

Wish I had bought a few cases of masks when the news first broke.  Could be making a killing reselling them on Amazon rn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, shiftysaj said:

These mfers didn't cancel the games when kobe passed away, i doubt they are cancelling games over the virus. but if it does get more serious i can see players not wanting to play in regards to their skepticism playing for big crowds. It shouldn't affect the fantasy season though.

They canceled the lakers/clippers game on January 28th. 1 of 9 games that day. Therefore, there is a 1 in 9 chance of the season ending due to corona 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Jessie said:

Is it common people do not wash their hands after using the restroom in your place?

 

Just gonna disregard the condescending tone. Don't have the energy for it.

 

Is common everywhere. Which is the salient point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alexstr said:

"It's a pretty different situation than the flu"

Gives no evidence that it's any different from the flu, starts rambling about cancer treatment

"Yeah, so as you can see, it's a different ballgame"

lol

I'm sorry, I base my opinions on numbers and statistics, not bro-logic, so I guess we're just coming at this from different perspectives.  To each their own.

I don’t know if this is worth it, but since you’re into numbers and statistics...

A. Seems like we can agree the flu is bad. It costs billions of dollars per year and as you’ve pointed out, a lot of people die

B. There are some varying estimates depending on situation, but from current evidence, let’s assume coronavirus death rate is at least equal to the flu.

C. R0 for the flu is about 1.3. Current R0 estimates for coronavirus are around 2-2.3, so significantly more transmissible 

D. There is a vaccine for the flu and even with a vaccine CDC says around 8% of the population still gets it each year.  The flu has a predictable seasonal cycle.

So, probably higher fatality rate, higher transmission rate, no vaccine, and we have no idea how it is going to change seasonally. Seems like probably worth making efforts to minimize impact. Will some people overreact? Would a lot of other diseases spreading at this rate be a hell of a lot worse? Sure, but seems kinda dumb to laugh off global pandemic just because you don’t like some people or outlets that are saying it’s serious.  

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

How hard is it to ask for people to wash their hands after using the restroom -_-

apparently its pretty hard. old habits die hard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, alexstr said:

"It's a pretty different situation than the flu"

Gives no evidence that it's any different from the flu, starts rambling about cancer treatment

"Yeah, so as you can see, it's a different ballgame"

lol

I'm sorry, I base my opinions on numbers and statistics, not bro-logic, so I guess we're just coming at this from different perspectives.  To each their own.


If this were true then you would have already investigated both diseases and seen how different they are in terms of transmission rate (R0) and fatality rate. 
 

Go read the recent scientific studies, or at least the summaries. This "it's just like the flu" stuff is dangerously ignorant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.thelocal.ch/20200228/from-car-shows-to-football-matches-how-coronavirus-crisis-has-hit-life-in-switzerland

https://www.forbes.com/sites/giacomogalardini/2020/03/01/italian-soccer-league-postponed-amid-ongoing-coronavirus-fears/#6c87347d6a97

 

If soccer games and concerts are canceled in Europe, I wouldn't be surprised if same thing happens in USA. It looks like outbreak is already happening in Washington state (6 people are dead) and it is very likely to spread.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, alexstr said:

"It's a pretty different situation than the flu"

Gives no evidence that it's any different from the flu, starts rambling about cancer treatment

"Yeah, so as you can see, it's a different ballgame"

lol

I'm sorry, I base my opinions on numbers and statistics, not bro-logic, so I guess we're just coming at this from different perspectives.  To each their own.

 

You don't like statistics. You are a cherry picker.

If you liked statistics you would have laid out the situation with the Corona virus. But you didn't. You only talked about one side of the equation. That's not basing your opinion on statistics, that's cherrypicking to win an argument. Luckily others brought Corona statistics.

Edited by cdrichar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, cdrichar said:

 

You don't like statistics. You are a cherry picker.

If you liked statistics you would have laid out the situation with the Corona virus. But you didn't. You only talked about one side of the equation. That's not basing your opinion on statistics, that's cherrypicking to win an argument. Luckily others brought Corona statistics.

Again, no stats, no proof, just talk.

Others who brought the statistics in this thread correlated what I said.  You've got nothing but talk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/1/2020 at 9:50 AM, shiftysaj said:

These mfers didn't cancel the games when kobe passed away, i doubt they are cancelling games over the virus. but if it does get more serious i can see players not wanting to play in regards to their skepticism playing for big crowds. It shouldn't affect the fantasy season though.

 

why would they cancel games because Kobe passed? How are you equating the two?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coronavirus is looking pretty good ROS. The 3% fg rate is low but this is made up by the sheer counting stats alone. Easy #1 pick in points leagues and mayeb even cat leagues if you're punting FG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.