JormaJormala

CORONAVIRUS threatening to end NBA season early?

On 3/17/2020 at 1:50 PM, Gile Pile said:

Nice try Tom Chambers.

I prefer caremongering way https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51915723

Btw, I am wondering how do you feel about people receiving money for free?  https://www.foxnews.com/politics/trump-wants-to-send-money-to-americans-in-next-two-weeks-amid-coronavirus-outbreak

Nice try at what? 

Doesnt seem likely the best case scenario the NBA had to continue the season will happen. Lakers have been tested and if AD and LeBron unfortunately test positive, that would deal a bigger blow than what most people realize considering LBJis still the face of the NBA with a great chance of winning a chip. If a lot of high profile players test positive, idk. 

54 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

Doesnt seem likely the best case scenario the NBA had to continue the season will happen. Lakers have been tested and if AD and LeBron unfortunately test positive, that would deal a bigger blow than what most people realize considering LBJis still the face of the NBA with a great chance of winning a chip. If a lot of high profile players test positive, idk. 

And if they dont? Do we all just carry on?

Silver has floated the idea about an exhibition game for charity.. ofcourse, certain protocols would need to be followed, but, he has mentioned that the cure for this virus may be more deadly than the virus itself.. in other words.. this quarantine with no distractions to turn to could ultimately do more damage than good.. thus, he is considering a game to help the basketball world get back to some sense of normalcy.

This in itself gives me optimism that Silver, along with the owners and other major sports will do everything they damn well can to get sports back ASAP.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

I am not surprised at all that people In the USA are still not listening  to corona recommendations. 

Current USA  population does not have collective memory of very bad times that affect everyone  for extended period of time.   Watching bad things on TV is not the same as actually going through them.  And I am afraid that this will cause things to get worse than they should be.

Last war   or natural disaster that affected the entire  US territory   was  American War of  Independence 1775–1783 . Hurricane Katrina,  9/11 and other similar events on US soil affected very limited areas in limited time.  When rest of the world was devastated in World War 2 for 6 years, MLB seasons were  still going on.  US soil was unaffected (with the exception of Pearl Harbor)

Europe, Asia and the rest of the world has those memories.  People living there  still remember  how bad things can be and are actually listening to the officials. I still remember my grandma stories about food reductions in WW2.

Yeah we seem to have two extremes. Some that don't care at all and others who think they are going to die tomorrow.We need to get somewhere in the

middle.Do what is recommended but also don't freak out, and in most cases even if you do get it you will be fine.

Edited by taker35h

So round 1 of our national game, Australian Rules Football, kicked off tonight in front of an empty stadium that usually sees this game attract over 90,000 people

Holy **** it was weird. Eery 

8 minutes ago, Quazza said:

So round 1 of our national game, Australian Rules Football, kicked off tonight in front of an empty stadium that usually sees this game attract over 90,000 people

Holy **** it was weird. Eery 

One score from ESPN streak for cash

Richmond Tigers 105 Carlton Blues 81 

That score is kooky compare to NFL .Are we talking football?  Rugby? 

6 hours ago, Barattolo said:

8.30 am here, time to work. From home. Please, consider me at your disposal to share other details of our experience.

Thank you for the great post.

Do you have any information have they required other people to work at hospitals etc. situations with corona patients other than doctors and nurses or such? For example have there been requirements for social workers to tend patients or help out on the hospitals instead of doing their normal work in the field of social work.

Ok. Non of us all know what will happen stating opinion on paat events is irrelevant at this point. Obviously post what you hear is great and let us know but opinions with out substance is garbage. Ive heard about potential charity game aka who knows when we will return as a distraction more than an end in sight.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, JormaJormala said:

Do you have any information have they required other people to work at hospitals etc. situations with corona patients other than doctors and nurses or such? For example have there been requirements for social workers to tend patients or help out on the hospitals instead of doing their normal work in the field of social work.

Yep, there are many plans ongoing. Here's a list off the top of my head: 1. Calling doctors from private hospitals; 2. Calling doctors from less impacted Italian regions; 3. Calling doctors and nurses from other countries (not European, clearly: China, Venezuela, Cuba...); 4. Calling who has just graduated from schools of medicine and give them minor tasks; 5. Calling retired doctors to help.

Volunteers were already engaged, coordinated and supported since the beginning (like... "forget your days off for the foreseeable future"). An underrated problem is that also doctors, nurses and volunteers tend to get ill (if my memory is correct the 8% of the infected are people who work in the hospitals). That's one of the biggest problems in the medium/log run.

Everyone wants to help, but it takes time to coordinate new people in each single context. Also, we shouldn't forget that the biggest risk are people apparently healthy and contagious and it's not easy to recognize them from the actually healthy. And it seems that in the beginning people apparently but not healthy are the most contagious. So, it's tricky. The best you can do, when the virus is rapidly spreading is having healthy behaviours and avoid human contacts for what is possible.

Edited by Barattolo
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, JormaJormala said:

You're welcome, sharing correct information and data is the only way we have to take media with a grain of salt. I'd rather talk about basketball and fantasy but reality is pretty overwhelming all over the word.

I'd rather watch Adam Silver sleep upside down than watch some pointless charity game.  By all means, have the game, but it would be about as interesting as an All-Star game, maybe even less so.

12 hours ago, shakestreet said:

One score from ESPN streak for cash

Richmond Tigers 105 Carlton Blues 81 

That score is kooky compare to NFL .Are we talking football?  Rugby? 

Australian Rules Football 

(Our biggest sport) 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 8:12 AM, Raiiny said:

Hong kong also sent every hk resident over 18 $10,000 in hkd. It's helpful if they aren't stopping rent/morgages. 

That 10k is a joke.  You can register earliest starting in July or probably in August, and ending earliest in December.  Then who knows when they will actually start distributing (probably 2021).  What's the point?  By that time, everything would have blown over other than a lingering bad economy. 

Also, they have proposed to allow borrowers to pay interest only on mortgages.  Not sure when/how that is happening.  Right now it's more of a psychological benefit, but nobody is really falling for it.  Meanwhile they did approve for the raises of government employees and those will happen immediately, so great!

California stepping up. Demanding people to stay inside. It's not difficult to understand. Everyone should be lucky we still have Free Will. Use it correctly.

At this point, the hope is this medicine used for Malaria which is currently being used by one NJ resident who claims it is working and he is getting better will be used for many more patients, thus helping to create less stress on the U.S health system and that 100% capacity is never reached. This drug has been fast forwarded through the FDA guidelines to get it out to patients ASAP.

Heres to hoping..

27 minutes ago, taker35h said:

fearmonger

I prefer realist. Just look how steep the chart is and compare with other countries.  You can call me whatever you want but the fact is that cases in the US have tripled in just 3 days. March 17  - 6,411. March 20 - 19,383 cases. 

19,383 ÷ 6,411 = 3.02

Canada is doing better,  but it is still scary. Cases in Canada have also increased, from 598 to 1,087

1,098 ÷598 = 1.8

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, taker35h said:

fearmonger

It's up to the people to listen to the leader here in the US to get things back to normal. Most are selfish by nature and the leader is a Orange. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Those two combinations are more than enough to be fearful.

2 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

I prefer realist. Just look how steep the chart is and compare with other countries.  You can call me whatever you want but the fact is that cases in the US have tripled in just 3 days. March 17  - 6,411. March 20 - 19,383 cases. 

19,383 ÷ 6,411 = 3.02

Canada is doing better,  but it is still scary. Cases in Canada have also increased, from 598 to 1,087

1,098 ÷598 = 1.8

We have more testing that is why. And most who get this will be fine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

It's up to the people to listen to the leader here in the US to get things back to normal. Most are selfish by nature and the leader is a Orange. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Those two combinations are more than enough to be fearful.

Yeah once you politicize it, you start to loose me. This is liberalism 101, attack the other side,act like you care more, but don't really offer solutions or

your solutions would in most cases make it worse. But you feel good so that's all that matters.

• Like 1

Australia basically about to go into lockdown