JormaJormala

CORONAVIRUS threatening to end NBA season early?

1 hour ago, taker35h said:

Yeah once you politicize it, you start to loose me. This is liberalism 101, attack the other side,act like you care more, but don't really offer solutions or

your solutions would in most cases make it worse. But you feel good so that's all that matters.

loose is sometimes confused with lose

9 hours ago, taker35h said:

We have more testing that is why. And most who get this will be fine.

Denial, I see. 

If anything US has  less testing compared to other countries, total and relative to the population size.

https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus-testing-source-data

Tests (approximately):

US -  105,000

Australia - 113,000

Canada - 55, 000

Germany - 167,000

Italy - 206,000

UK - 65,000

Most people who go to war will be "fine". 

Try telling that to those who died,  got injured and their family and friends.

"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." 1984 (chapter 7) - George Orwell

http://gutenberg.net.au/ebooks01/0100021.txt

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Trench Mob said:

It's up to the people to listen to the leader here in the US to get things back to normal. Most are selfish by nature and the leader is a Orange. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence. Those two combinations are more than enough to be fearful.

"the leader"... man, i cringe every time i hear Trump be referred to as a leader. I get it, my boy Trudeau isnt exactly the most amazing PM in our countries history, but, how so many Americans even voted for Trump to 'lead' their country baffles my mind.

34 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

Denial, I see. 

If anything US has  less testing compared to other countries, total and relative to the population size.

Tests (approximately):

US -  105,000

Australia - 113,000

Canada - 55, 000

Germany - 167,000

Italy - 206,000

UK - 65,000

"The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." 1984 (chapter 7) - George Orwell

We will agree to disagree on this one.I don't think we totally ignore it, but the world is going end Isn't the answer either. Because it won't and isn't.

sounds good to me, as long as  discussion is based on facts.

34 minutes ago, jonninho said:

"the leader"... man, i cringe every time i hear Trump be referred to as a leader. I get it, my boy Trudeau isnt exactly the most amazing PM in our countries history, but, how so many Americans even voted for Trump to 'lead' their country baffles my mind.

Smh. That's why he's just being referred as a Orange. It's embarrassing and uncomfortable.

Our two main choices were him or a woman. I think a talking Parrot would've been the best choice. I wish I was joking.

2 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

Denial, I see. 

Tests (approximately):

US -  105,000

Australia - 113,000

Canada - 55, 000

Germany - 167,000

Italy - 206,000

UK - 65,000

Associating an Orwell quote in support of a government-sourced hypothetical worst case for a virus is about as Orwellian as it gets.  

48 minutes ago, AJdude said:

Associating an Orwell quote in support of a government-sourced hypothetical worst case for a virus is about as Orwellian as it gets.  

image.png.67914608385b45497e2228469ff84f9a.png

There is nothing hypothetical about this, facts are facts. Personally the only reason that I care about US is very selfish. I don't want anything bad to happen to Canada because of turmoil in the US.   And what is happening and considering the speed that corona  cases in the US are increasing, I am very concerned.

You can reject the evidence before your eyes, but that will not change the reality.

• Like 1

I'm not disagreeing with your stance, necessarily, just the idea of using an Orwell quote to support it.  When people are forcibly controlled by government in the face of an "enemy" whose magnitude is not really known but assumed to be worst-case, that's sort of the epitome of what 1984 was about.  

True about 1984. However, in my opinion for the current situation, government using force might be the only option. And US had never had to deal with that on a national level.  I hope I am wrong, but it will get much worse if trends continue.  And I don't see any new measures that would  help that happen. For example, Germany is  banning gatherings of more than two people outside work and home.  What is the USA doing?   Every day that passes without action is time lost. I wouldn't be surprised at all if US is #1 if total corona  cases by next Sunday

1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

What is the USA doing?

Still buying up all the toilet paper.

If this carries on past the Summer time, I might have to do something to someone or someone ending up doing something to me ( don't care how it goes ) over some toilet paper. This is silly.

1 hour ago, Gile Pile said:

True about 1984. However, in my opinion for the current situation, government using force might be the only option. And US had never had to deal with that on a national level.  I hope I am wrong, but it will get much worse if trends continue.  And I don't see any new measures that would  help that happen. For example, Germany is  banning gatherings of more than two people outside work and home.  What is the USA doing?   Every day that passes without action is time lost. I wouldn't be surprised at all if US is #1 if total corona  cases by next Sunday

Destroying the economy 

53 minutes ago, Gile Pile said:

If Tokyo 2020 gets cancelled (and it looks like it's going to happen), say good  bye to NBA until fall 2020 at the earliest. 

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/world-athletics-unanimous-call-to-postpone-olympics-1.5506228

I do hope I am wrong ...

I heard moving Olympics to 2021.Yahoo  had a interesting article some info that I like. Ive always thought starting the season around Christmas made sense

even before any of this.https://sports.yahoo.com/christmas-day-start-2020-21-164004211.html

Stein also reported that, "key NBA figures welcome an experiment with radical changes, such as contesting the NBA Finals in August, pushing free agency into September and starting the 2020-21 season on Christmas Day."

Here, financial considerations reign again. Sure, there's a cost to shaving off a quarter of the 2020-21 regular season, but owners would surely choose that over losing an entire postseason's worth of games (especially a postseason as anticipated as this one). Plus, as far as alternative schedules go, a league calendar year running from December to September mitigates competition with the NFL regular season. 

According to Stein, discussions on this timeline have increased to a point where the league is directing teams to actively seek out dates and venues (G League arenas, etc.) for potential games deep into the summer.

You guys talking sports like 2020 has something left to offer... It does not.

USA is hitting the mark I set in the coming few days and after that it is martial law time. 

Let God be with you guys during these trying times.

• Thanks 3

[ Posts removed.  We're letting a lot go in these COVID catch-all threads, but the guideline against explicit political discussions remains in effect, as does the guideline against offensive / bigoted comments, which definitely includes hot takes like "actually, women were useless until men gave them jobs".  This entire line of discussion ends now, and this thread will stay focused on COVID's impact on the NBA season. ]

I feel like this season is done. Focus on staying safe everyone.

• Like 3

On 3/22/2020 at 12:58 PM, Gile Pile said:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

I was hoping I was wrong 😢   RIP 2019/2020 NBA season 😭

image.png.f10fd3f5512c6033428abe81357b9ddc.png

4 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

https://nationalpost.com/news/best-case-scenario-covid-19-measures-expected-to-last-until-july-government-document-says

For Canada (and we are in better shape than US), the best case scenario is July. We will be very lucky if we see any more  games for 19/20 season.

I don't think you can use a national forecast to make any guesses about the NBA season. 

The NBA could bunker down all the players, refs, and personnel in a single location, test everyone, quarantine for a few weeks, test again, and then play the games without fans to satisfy TV contracts and revenue agreements. Which is what they've discussed.  

I think we'll see a handful of games and some version of the playoffs at some point later this summer. 

3 hours ago, Eltoro said:

I don't think you can use a national forecast to make any guesses about the NBA season. 

The NBA could bunker down all the players, refs, and personnel in a single location, test everyone, quarantine for a few weeks, test again, and then play the games without fans to satisfy TV contracts and revenue agreements. Which is what they've discussed.  

I think we'll see a handful of games and some version of the playoffs at some point later this summer. 

And if one or more of those people test positive? Or if the test gave a false positive or negative?

4 hours ago, Eltoro said:

Don't forget that NBA is an international league. 

Ratio of confirmed corona cases / country population for USA and Italy is the same at  0.000065.  Canada is at 0.000025. 

And if best case scenario for Canada is July, what makes you think that  late summer is possible in US?     Logistics are too complicated.  USA/Canada border is closed for non essential travel.  And the most important piece of information:

James and the hosts also addressed the logistical concerns regarding what it would actually take to turn the lights back on for the league. When Jefferson, who also works as an ESPN NBA analyst, suggested that teams could be isolated in a league-selected hotel for the duration of the postseason as a safety measure, James objected.

"I ain't going for that s---," he said. "I'm not going for that."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28958201/no-excitement-fans

I wish NBA has solution for 19/20 season, but I think it's over.  I am switching my attention to gardening until the fall  🌻🥕🍅 

15 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

https://nationalpost.com/news/best-case-scenario-covid-19-measures-expected-to-last-until-july-government-document-says

For Canada (and we are in better shape than US), the best case scenario is July. We will be very lucky if we see any more  games for 19/20 season.

It is for city run events/permits. Has nothing to do with professional sports (im located in Toronto as well)

17 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

Ratio of confirmed corona cases / country population for USA and Italy is the same at  0.000065

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but this is extremely unlikely. Either your math is wrong or the data you're using is wrong.