JormaJormala

CORONAVIRUS threatening to end NBA season early?

2 hours ago, YouSnoozeYouLose said:

I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but this is extremely unlikely. Either your math is wrong or the data you're using is wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population_(United_Nations)

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html

Using links above, as of 2PM  PST April 2:  USA confirmed cases 236,339 ; USA population:  327,096,265

USA 236,339 / 327,096,265  =  0,00072 

Italy 115,242 / 60,627,291 = 0.0019 

You are correct. Italy data was off.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

Italy 115,242 / 60,627,291 = 0.0019 

You are correct. Italy data was off

Guys, those data don't make sense at all. Here the estimated number of the positives to the virus should be 5 to 10 times more than the reported data, experts say (projections from data from "healed" areas, where more or less all the citizens have already been tested). At this stage nobody knows how many people are infected and who they are 'cause the large majority don't show symptoms. You just have the number of the infected that needed to be tested because they have symptoms.

It's like keeping track of basketball stats basing just on the games you watch on tv. At the end of the season, in my case, Tyus Jones will end up having more assists than Trae Young since I'm more likely to watch a Grizzlies game than a Hawks one. So, the difference between a partial experience and reality.

Edited by Barattolo
  • Like 1

makes sense as much as it sucks. baseball trying to start 7/4 seems like a long shot as well

On 4/1/2020 at 5:14 PM, markdash said:

And if one or more of those people test positive? Or if the test gave a false positive or negative?

Then those players don't play until the following season. 

On 4/1/2020 at 6:31 PM, Gile Pile said:

Don't forget that NBA is an international league. 

Ratio of confirmed corona cases / country population for USA and Italy is the same at  0.000065.  Canada is at 0.000025. 

And if best case scenario for Canada is July, what makes you think that  late summer is possible in US?     Logistics are too complicated.  USA/Canada border is closed for non essential travel.  And the most important piece of information:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28958201/no-excitement-fans

I wish NBA has solution for 19/20 season, but I think it's over.  I am switching my attention to gardening until the fall  🌻🥕🍅 

Again, I wasn't saying anything goes back to normal, I was saying everyone gets locked down in one location. So I'm not sure why international travel would be a big deal. Teams can probably private jet whoever they need back from their home countries if Trump gives the okay, which he probably would.  

I'm more doubtful it happens now but I still think it's possible. Mid-August is over four months away. You just have to find a way to get complete buy in from the players and all other parties. 

Anyways, enjoy your gardening and see you in 2021. 

@Quazza I wish USA all the best. Hopefully the people will realize that some things, like health care and education, should be free and available to everyone.  

My little neck of the woods (British Columbia) with free health care is doing just fine.  On Vancouver Island where I am, some Costco stores even had toilet paper in stock (not free).

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/bc-ontario-quebec-covid-19-1.5524056

6 hours ago, Tom Chambers said:

What's the tl;dr version? That Canada is proud of doing more than America with less? They should be. 

3 hours ago, miasma16 said:

What's the tl;dr version? That Canada is proud of doing more than America with less? They should be. 

lmao

On 4/6/2020 at 10:48 PM, Quazza said:

If someone loses their employer health care coverage due to being laid off or fired, they can usually apply for Medicare fairly quickly and remain covered.

• Haha 1

44 minutes ago, bcledge said:

If someone loses their employer health care coverage due to being laid off or fired, they can usually apply for Medicare fairly quickly and remain covered.

How is Medicare coverage compared to   employer coverage?  Is there time limit on how long you can keep Medicare?

2 hours ago, Gile Pile said:

How is Medicare coverage compared to   employer coverage?  Is there time limit on how long you can keep Medicare?

You can keep Medicare till you die. You get Medicare by either retiring or disability (social security/social security disability). It pays about 80% of your bill which is why you generally take a supplemental plan to cover the other 20% or close to it.

COBRA is a health insurance that is good for 8 months. It is the same policy as when you were employed but it is not free. You end up paying the premiums which your employer had been paying the majority of

Even if you are retired or on disability  with Medicare you still  have to pay 20%?   And in 2019, 60 of USA biggest companies paid no federal tax at all?   

I will never understand USA

Posted (edited)

Huh. Why is Medicare mentioned as an option when losing employer coverage? AFAIK, the only option is COBRA (continuation of employer coverage) or buying private health insurance (e.g. through Obamacare) if you're not 65+ or disabled.

I am on COBRA currently pay almost $600/month for just myself in California. I think the price range was around $400-$1000/month for Covered California, which is our state's healthcare marketplace (Obamacare) implementation.

It seems like Covered CA opened up a special enrollment period for coronavirus. Most states depend on the federally-run healthcare.gov (Obamacare) which has not opened up a special enrollment period. That means if you're already uninsured (~10% of Americans) and past the window to opt into COBRA (60 days since termination) or Obamacare (60 days since losing coverage), you may be SOL in most states and will likely have to try to buy private insurance directly if you want coverage.

You can't buy coverage very freely (i.e. 60 day window since losing coverage, or during a limited open enrollment period) and the options even for low-end basic coverage can be very expensive. But, I am one of the lucky ones to be relatively healthy and being able to afford it. This is totally fine 😐

Edited by darkyume

16 minutes ago, darkyume said:

Huh. Why is Medicare mentioned as an option when losing employer coverage? AFAIK, the only option is COBRA (continuation of employer coverage) or buying private health insurance (e.g. through Obamacare) if you're not 65+ or disabled.

I am on COBRA currently pay almost $600/month for just myself in California. I think the price range was around $400-$1000/month for Covered California, which is our state's healthcare marketplace (Obamacare) implementation.

It seems like Covered CA opened up a special enrollment period for coronavirus. Most states depend on the federally-run healthcare.gov (Obamacare) which has not opened up a special enrollment period. That means if you're already uninsured (~10% of Americans) and past the window to opt into COBRA (60 days since termination) or Obamacare (60 days since losing coverage), you may be SOL in most states and will likely have to try to buy private insurance directly if you want coverage.

You can't buy coverage very freely (i.e. 60 day window since losing coverage, or during a limited open enrollment period) and the options even for low-end basic coverage can be very expensive. But, I am one of the lucky ones to be relatively healthy and being able to afford it. This is totally fine 😐

$600 a month ... Jesus Christ . That has to be with dental right ? I’m also in Cali , 30 year old fit/healthy male. I have private insurance through Blueshield PPO Gold plan , no dental , and pay about $450 a month. And it’s considered one of the top plans available. No deductibles , low co-pays, and very little out of pocket costs. What a racket health insurance is I tell you. 

3 minutes ago, RunCMC said:

$600 a month ... Jesus Christ . That has to be with dental right ? I’m also in Cali , 30 year old fit/healthy male. I have private insurance through Blueshield PPO Gold plan , no dental , and pay about $450 a month. And it’s considered one of the top plans available. No deductibles , low co-pays, and very little out of pocket costs. What a racket health insurance is I tell you. 

Nope. With less rounding it's ~$585 health, and ~$40 dental. Mid-30s in SF here.

I played around with Covered CA's website and did find a zip code that's in $300-$600 range, which may be closer in line with the rest of the country. 

39 minutes ago, darkyume said:

Nope. With less rounding it's ~$585 health, and ~$40 dental. Mid-30s in SF here.

I played around with Covered CA's website and did find a zip code that's in $300-$600 range, which may be closer in line with the rest of the country. 

SanFran makes sense lol , rent is even deadlier there . I’m in LA 

[ Posts removed.  We do not do politics here.  There is an allowance being made to discuss aspects of COVID-19's effect on sports and society in general, but that allowance ends well before advocacy for/against specific political causes or leaders. ]

From a pure health perspective they should cancel sports seasons for the foreseeable future. It pains me to say that because I live in Washington and Ovechkin doesn't need to lose any more seasons. We may be peaking but there will be a 2nd wave if they open things back up soon. My company is in healthcare and gained access to testing and is seeing tons of staff is positive and asymptomatic. It's tricky because there is no end in sight really, with a vaccine so far away, yet we can't stay locked down forever. But they definitely need to be very careful how they go about it.

• Like 1

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29104444/lakers-got-money-loan-program-returned-it

You have got to be kidding me. Jerry Buss must be rolling in his grave knowing that the Lakers even attempted to get a $4.6 millions loan from the government. Ok more like trying to scam their way to $4.6 millions. The organization is worth 1,000 times that amount. That is just pathetic. 

Posted (edited)

Gents

Long time no see, hope everyone is ok. No basketball is breaking my brain

a little random, but hey, we have time, so thought I'd share - There's a few "jersey challenge's" going round atm on IG, and I kept getting tagged so had a crack at getting them all together. A few have sadly disappeared over the years (Dunleavy going missing was weird) but here's my humble little collection, split into Warriors and Others.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Quazza
  • Like 1

Beautiful man. 

Throwbacks of Spurs 21 and GSW 33 brought back soooooo many memories. 

• Like 1