JormaJormala

CORONAVIRUS threatening to end NBA season early?

29 minutes ago, alexstr said:

Again, no stats, no proof, just talk.

Others who brought the statistics in this thread correlated what I said.  You've got nothing but talk. 

https://www.fox10tv.com/news/coronavirus/us-cancels-major-military-exercise-with-israel-due-to-coronavirus/article_a61441fc-79db-5eca-ab72-00d2a3284bd2.html

How do you explain this?

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, alexstr said:

Again, no stats, no proof, just talk.

Others who brought the statistics in this thread correlated what I said.  You've got nothing but talk. 

You have no idea what you're talking about. You have no idea what your argument is.

Edited by cdrichar
Ok

we taking tanking to BOLD new places man....

89004586_2722699487777051_18928315752765

Our latest 10 dayer was thought to have the virus

• Haha 1

Based on the US response to the virus so far seems that it is only a matter of time before it impacts the league.

- Each infected person tends to infect two to three people.

- Not everyone has strong symptoms, so some may not realize they're infected or that they're spreading the virus. 

- Incubation periods can be up to 14 days and people can be contagious over that time.

- There's already been an infection with no known source in California. 14 days time will be telling.

8 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

Based on the US response to the virus so far seems that it is only a matter of time before it impacts the league.

- Not everyone has strong symptoms, so some may not realize they're infected or that they're spreading the virus. 

- Incubation periods can be up to 14 days and people can be contagious over that time.

- There's already been an infection with no known source in California. 14 days time will be telling.

combine that with the fact that the US isn't even testing ppl appropriately.... numbesr about to spike according to some NYC ER doctor

Posted (edited)
54 minutes ago, Spyplane said:

I was thinking the same thing. I reckon all it will take is one infected person to attend one game to grind a slate of a games to a halt. Seems inevitable.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre

37 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

I was thinking the same thing. I reckon all it will take is one infected person to attend one game to grind a slate of a games to a halt. Seems inevitable.

Google Oregon Corona. It's at the beginning stages here, and isn't getting stopped. I'll be getting it at some point which is fine but, it's gonna spread everywhere.

1 hour ago, cdrichar said:

Google Oregon Corona. It's at the beginning stages here, and isn't getting stopped. I'll be getting it at some point which is fine but, it's gonna spread everywhere.

Not really "fine" to get it cause even if you don't die from it, it's permanent damage to your lungs and who knows how bad that is. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Israel asks soccer match attendees to self-quarantine

From CNN's Sharon Braithwaite

Israel's Ministry of Health has asked thousands of people who attended a soccer match in Tel Aviv to self-quarantine as it confirmed 15 cases of coronavirus in the country.

In a statement released this morning, the Ministry of Health said a young man who tested positive for coronavirus entered Bloomfield stadium through Gate 8 on Monday to watch a match between Hapoel Tel Aviv and Maccabi Tel Aviv.

Anyone who entered the ground through the same gate has been instructed to self-quarantine for two weeks. Israeli TV reports put the number affected at more than 5,000.

The young man worked a toy store in Or Yehuda, a town in central Israel and a girl who visited the store has also tested positive for coronavirus, the Ministry said.

On 3/1/2020 at 10:59 AM, alexstr said:

Has the NBA season ever been cancelled over the flu?

Because that kills hundreds of thousands of people a year and is highly contagious

Flu mortality rate is roughly ~0.1%.

Based on current data, COVID-19 mortality rate is roughly ~3.4%

10 hours ago, cfut said:

I feel like ticket sales in the bay tanked today. It’s gonna be a real risk.

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Chickenmane said:

People who are treating the coronavirus as if it's the seasonal flu are laughably uninformed. 

agreed, but also a lot of people have gone untested meaning a lot of cases are still unreported especially the minor ones. the numbers are still inaccurate both ways. 

Edited by steempot

The level of stupidity from some of the posts in this thread might actually be more dangerous than the Coronavirus. Jesus Christ! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Are we the old dudes with bad illnesses? No! We are prime time athletes who play fantasy sports. There will be no deaths amongst us. No need to fear!

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 7:11 AM, cfut said:

It’s not an accurate comparison as the mortality of COVID-19 is different for each age group. For under 50’s it’s under 0.5%. It’s mostly the old and immunocompromised that are the most affected.

Also, I believe the mortality rate will drop as more people are tested, as it’s quite likely for many more people to have the virus but never presented for testing due to lack of symptoms or mild nature of symptoms.

Korea is a good example with mortality at about 0.6% across all population. This is a lot lower than China likely due to better access to medical services and the ability for more widespread testing.

Overall I think we should be careful but the level of panic caused by the media is not warranted.

Posted (edited)

Here In Australia, people have lost their dam minds and are buying all the toilet paper they can. No actual idea why, but that's what the morons are doing. It's wild 

(On the plus side it's lead to some amazing memes )

Edited by Quazza
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, blob2004 said:

It’s not an accurate comparison as the mortality of COVID-19 is different for each age group. For under 50’s it’s under 0.5%. It’s mostly the old and immunocompromised that are the most affected.

Also, I believe the mortality rate will drop as more people are tested, as it’s quite likely for many more people to have the virus but never presented for testing due to lack of symptoms or mild nature of symptoms.

Korea is a good example with mortality at about 0.6% across all population. This is a lot lower than China likely due to better access to medical services and the ability for more widespread testing.

Overall I think we should be careful but the level of panic caused by the media is not warranted.

S Korea is a pretty good example of why we should be taking it seriously. They are already experiencing shortages in hospital capacity and they have about twice the hospital beds per capita as the US. 

The lack of nuance in this whole issue is crazy. It doesn’t have to be this binary “it’s just like the flu” or “omg the apocalypse”. It should be taken really seriously and actively managed because you can’t have an illness spread exponentially and get everyone sick at once. That’s why you cancel SXSW, sporting events etc. 

8B5E7BE7-E9E4-42C7-9A73-DE2D20238E25.jpeg

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Quazza said:

Here In Australia, people have lost their dam minds and are buying all the toilet paper they can. No actual idea why, but that's what the morons are doing. It's wild 

(On the plus side it's lead to some amazing memes )

It's happening here in Texas, US as well.  Not sure what the run on TP is all about.  

If we're lucky they'll wrap their heads like mummies so we can see them coming.