JormaJormala

CORONAVIRUS threatening to end NBA season early?

It will be only matter of days when NBA shuts down. I think NBA has more progressive leadership than what Big Coward Trump has shown us. They will do it sooner rather than later. Either empty arenas or completely postponing/ending the season.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

SF just annoucned ban if public event with people over 1,000 including warrior games. I don't know what this means...theres been no woj tweet yet

San Francisco will officially ban large events over 1000 people, including Warriors games. Effective tomorrow, the ban will last at least 2 weeks. Other counties and states have taken similar steps. Public health must be first priority.

Edited by the1gq2nvy

i would love to watch an empty seat nba game tbh

21 minutes ago, JormaJormala said:

It will be only matter of days when NBA shuts down. I think NBA has more progressive leadership than what Big Coward Trump has shown us. They will do it sooner rather than later. Either empty arenas or completely postponing/ending the season.

This will not happen, I can guarantee it.

The empty arenas, yes, actually a very likely possibility and they're probably already working on it.

But the season cancellation, no chance.

Nets @ Warriors will be played closed doors. First game with no crowd.

i have a game tomorrow with lakers vs. rockets, i hope it's not cancelled for the fans....

1 hour ago, fabrar said:

This will not happen, I can guarantee it.

The empty arenas, yes, actually a very likely possibility and they're probably already working on it.

But the season cancellation, no chance.

I dunno, man.

I'm italian and I live in Italy.

Last week I thought the same things as yours about the Serie A (the italian football championship).

Now it seems that the Serie A will be cancelled.

I'm afraid that the same will happen in USA for every major sport.

I hope not.

(I got no coronavirus, anyway).

MLB had games in Baltimore without a public crowd due to the riot. But baseball players dont curse nearly as much as nba players haha. I hope they dont delay or censor.

23 minutes ago, droselicious said:

MLB had games in Baltimore without a public crowd due to the riot. But baseball players dont curse nearly as much as nba players haha. I hope they dont delay or censor.

Oh I imagine there will be a 90 second delay.

As Canadian, I will never why US is so much different from rest of the developed countries  when it comes to health care and the benefits that federal government provides to the citizens.  Good  read, especially last 2 chapters, https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51803890

While other countries are doing all the can (https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberals-support-workers-businesses-covid-19-1.5493454, https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-51835306),I couldn't  find anything similar for US (other than president's tweets).

I fear it will get much worse before it gets better

• Like 3

I have courtside seats to GSW @ Toronto on Monday. Who's gonna refund me my $2000??

16 minutes ago, mtx said:

I have courtside seats to GSW @ Toronto on Monday. Who's gonna refund me my $2000??

I would start with whoever you bought them from, if it was stubhub/vividseats they should give refunds for "cancelled events" Idk how the warriors can keep your money if you purchased from them if they are not allowing you to attend. 

Adrian Wojnarowski (@wojespn) Tweeted:
Reporting with @ZachLowe_NBA: Consensus among owners on Board of Governors call with league office was either continue season with no fans in arenas -- or have NBA take a hiatus for a period time. NBA is expected to have a decision as soon as Thursday on next steps.

In the unlikely event that they vote on a hiatus with the Olympics coming up as well (well damn if that is canceled/postponed too), which injured players become more appealing to stash, like for example Isaac.

I'd bet that they continue the season without fans in attendance. They won't go the route of losing television viewership with all of the money they make from various networks. 

13 minutes ago, droselicious said:

I'd bet that they continue the season without fans in attendance. They won't go the route of losing television viewership with all of the money they make from various networks. 

They would just make the games up later. Would be kind of cool to see playoffs in June and finals in july

Posted (edited)

im thinknig no fan is only way to go. There is no telling how long its going take this virus to be contained or a vaccine to be create. I think the way its going its only going get worst. If anyone in the nba gets tested postiive with the virus then i can see a full quarantine happening and postponed.

Edited by the1gq2nvy

25 minutes ago, sharkpotato said:

What it's like to play in a empty arena:

Just pump fake fan noise like the Atlanta Falcons did lol

I don't think they'll end the season prematurely (thought it certainly is a possibility).  There's a lot of revenue to be made.

However, fan-less arenas are very, very likely.  Here in SF, we still gotta pay off the new Chase Center and we still blocked off home games here.  With fan-less games, the NBA still has a market in televised viewing, so they can still make money there, even without ticket sales.  Will sorta be weird/anti-climactic to see empty arenas during wild playoff games though.  I mean, can you imagine that Sixer/Raptors Game 7 last year without fans?  Or a silent NBA Finals, save for commentary?   

I think one of the biggest questions is how will this affect fantasy?  I don't think the fan-less games will do much to our players, but the repercussions of postponing the actual games is absolutely critical, and unheard of (at least for me).  As stated, if the fantasy season is somehow postponed as well, then injured players we're holding would have time to recover (as a Simmons/KAT owner, I'd love this).  And dropped players whose timetables extended beyond the regular season, such as Isaac or Oubre, would be red-hot pickups.

Just now, DoubleMcChickenn said:

Something happening with OKC and Utah game? Both teams walked off the floor including the refs.

Damn.

Yeah what's going on? Is this corona?