svdude

Yasiel Puig 2020 Outlook

4 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

22 HR 14 SB in only 373 ABs.

They were fun.  But the 2 homers in Cleveland down the stretch and the 0fers the first month and a half were not.

He's free, so no risk involved.  I'm just saying, caveat emptor.  Especially in the Marlins lineup.

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

They were fun.  But the 2 homers in Cleveland down the stretch and the 0fers the first month and a half were not.

He's free, so no risk involved.  I'm just saying, caveat emptor.  Especially in the Marlins lineup.

He has always shown power though.  Yes, power is fun in fantasy.  So is speed.

2 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

He has always shown power though.  Yes, power is fun in fantasy.  So is speed.

Not in Cleveland down the stretch.  But do your thing man.  I'm just telling you the risks from a guy who stuck with him the whole year least year.

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Not in Cleveland down the stretch.  But do your thing man.  I'm just telling you the risks from a guy who stuck with him the whole year least year.

Getting traded out of no where kinda sucks too , he obviously liked his teammates enough to get into a few brawls while on the reds.  Just saying not every player adapts quickly in a new environment.  

Only reason he’s free or going so late in drafts is because he hadn’t or hasn’t signed yet, with him saying he has multiple offers on the table when everyone thought he had none because he don’t talk his business to all reporters preseason made his value plummet but he already said he fully intends to play this year 

2 minutes ago, Brye said:

Getting traded out of no where kinda sucks too , he obviously liked his teammates enough to get into a few brawls while on the reds.  Just saying not every player adapts quickly in a new environment.  

Only reason he’s free or going so late in drafts is because he hadn’t or hasn’t signed yet, with him saying he has multiple offers on the table when everyone thought he had none because he don’t talk his business to all reporters preseason made his value plummet but he already said he fully intends to play this year 

As I said initially, he's a wildly unpredictable player.

If he was in a great lineup, that would be encouraging for me because he's done well in those types of environments.  I could see myself picking him up in leagues where he's available.

If it's the Marlins, I don't want none.  If you do that's cool.  Agree to disagree.

Pretty sure has been a perennial top 75 pick even higher since he’s entered the league not sure your take on this , bottom line when he plays fantasy owners use him stop acting like he’s on waivers now because he sucks.

4 minutes ago, Brye said:

Pretty sure has been a perennial top 75 pick even higher since he’s entered the league not sure your take on this , bottom line when he plays fantasy owners use him stop acting like he’s on waivers now because he sucks.

Puig has some fantasy value.   In fantasy,  players that contribute in HR's and SB's always warrant attention, for me.

The Miami lineup and park hurts the most, if they play games there,  and probably makes him nothing more than a late round flier.

But another team and Arizona baseball could make him more interesting.

Yeah he’s not signing with the marlins anymore, from what he’s saying

37 minutes ago, Brye said:

Yeah he’s not signing with the marlins anymore, from what he’s saying

From what he is saying he isnt signing any where this year because he doesnt believe there will be a season.

Crazy how we have all gone crazy and many think we wont have baseball in 2020 but we still have almost 2 weeks left in April.. i definitely believe we will have a 2020 MLB season.

43 minutes ago, jonninho said:

From what he is saying he isnt signing any where this year because he doesnt believe there will be a season.

Crazy how we have all gone crazy and many think we wont have baseball in 2020 but we still have almost 2 weeks left in April.. i definitely believe we will have a 2020 MLB season.

According to Jorge Ebro of El Nuevo Herald, Yasiel Puig has multiple contract offers on the table.

The 29-year-old outfielder told Ebro, “I have offers on the table right now from other teams that aren’t the Marlins... they were one of the first teams to make me an offer but it wasn’t in my price range”. Puig also noted that it would be difficult for him to play in Miami, explaining "I asked for a little more money from Miami because playing in front of Cubans would be tough because they would expect me to go 5-5 every day." Puig is currently spending his time on a humanitarian mission -- helping the people of Miami battle the coronavirus and distributing food to hospital workers. As long as there's a Major League Baseball season in 2020, Puig fully intends to play.

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Not even close.  Nogt even for the poorest man on earth.  He is a glass bead to Acuna's diamond.  Plus he is a headcase.  And now he is scared to play in Miami because ... "pressure."

The main difference between Puig and Acuna is what you mentioned: Puig is a headcase. Put him on the right team with an improved focus and he could come close to Acuna. So, Puig is the perfect buy low target right now. He's still unsigned so he wouldn't cost much, if anything. And, even if he doesn't exceed our expectations, he could still be a decent #3 or #4 outfielder for a fbb team.

Edited by dan

1 hour ago, dan said:

The main difference between Puig and Acuna is what you mentioned: Puig is a headcase. Put him on the right team with an improved focus and he could come close to Acuna. So, Puig is the perfect buy low target right now. He's still unsigned so he wouldn't cost much, if anything. And, even if he doesn't exceed our expectations, he could still be a decent #3 or #4 outfielder for a fbb team.

The fact that he is talking about what nationality of fans he will have in a given city is also a little bit disconcerting if they end up playing in Arizona in front of no fans to me as well.

If he's one of those dudes who draws his energy on the roar of the crowd or whatever (see bat licking), would make for a long year.

11 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

The fact that he is talking about what nationality of fans he will have in a given city is also a little bit disconcerting if they end up playing in Arizona in front of no fans to me as well.

If he's one of those dudes who draws his energy on the roar of the crowd or whatever (see bat licking), would make for a long year.

The way I look at it is that if I was in more redraft leagues I'd target him for an option for my #3 outfielder every year because I think he can do the floor (for what I want from a #3 outfielder) but he has the potential for more and maybe, just maybe, one of these years he'll have a really productive season (and then he could be sold at a high). 

7 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

No bat licking!  That's what got us in this mess in the first place.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Very odd story. Puig expects to be paid more from the marlins cause their fans will expect more from him? When an unemployed guy starts demanding more money from people who haven't hired him well maybe it is korea for him. With rosters locked all Puig has to say is several teams are involved with him and he hopes to sign ASAP when he is allowed to.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hailfire4 said:

Very odd story. Puig expects to be paid more from the marlins cause their fans will expect more from him? When an unemployed guy starts demanding more money from people who haven't hired him well maybe it is korea for him. With rosters locked all Puig has to say is several teams are involved with him and he hopes to sign ASAP when he is allowed to.

Personally I think there’s at least a nonzero chance the whole story was fabricated by Puig and his agent to try to drum up interest in signing him. I find it hard to believe multiple teams have offers on the table given the state of the world and uncertainty of the coming season. I suppose it’s possible he had some offers before the **** hit the fan, but I can’t imagine those offers are still on the table.

• Like 2

Yeah. Unless he was willing to sign a cut rate deal for the long term, why would any team sign anybody right now?  Even if you only have to pay them 5% on a canceled season... that's still just giving away money.  

I don't know where I stand on Puig as a character guy, in baseball terms.  Negatives have been played up a lot, but Sporer and someone else kind of dove into it recently and made it sound like he's kind of a flake, but generally well liked by teammates who aren't Grienke and a hard worker.  We might be judging him negatively because he looked like a hall of famer when he came up so somewhere in our brains we assume that he's just being lazy by not being a HOFer.  

Anyway, in season long roto, with everyone going nuts for steals, I think he's part of a little group that could play quite nicely.  If you get a guy with the runs in the first round, you could kind of just go for value while everyone else overpays for speed.  Then late, get a couple of guys like Meyers, Puig, Cain who everyone has written off. These guys have all been very productive fantasy players and only need a couple things to go right to be speedy multi-cat guys.  Not like you're banking on a comeback by Miggy or Pujols.  That should be enough to get you a few roto points in steals while being at an advantage in other cats.  Much better than having Mallex Smith in your lineup. 

19 hours ago, 89Topps said:

No bat licking!  That's what got us in this mess in the first place.

One of the funniest posts I've read in a long long while thank you Sir.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Like a month and two days? 

No? Just funny? 

Thanks

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, South Jersey Bombers said:

How has he not signed?

Good question.  Any updates?  

With training camps set to open in a few days, any word on where Puig will sign?  

46 minutes ago, gbill2004 said:

With training camps set to open in a few days, any word on where Puig will sign?  

4 hours ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

Giants are probably the least desirable landing spot for Puig.  When is the roster freeze over?