Rotoworld.com Forums

Dylan Bundy 2020 Outlook

What are the thoughts on Bundy this year? He's making the move from Camden Yard to Anaheim Stadium, which has to be a plus, especially considering his propensity for the HR. Better defense, better run support, Maddon, winning attitude. 

Seems like he might be a nice late-round flier to fill in the back of a SP staff. Still relatively young at 27 and has started 61 games the last two seasons. 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 2

I’m definitely buying Bundy this year. I’m in on both him and Garrett Richards who are both going very closely together. I’ve come away with one of them in most of my drafts thus far. I think there’s still some intriguing upside left in him with the move out of Camden Yards that I’m willing to take a shot. He’s been ending up as an SP8 or 9 on my teams, so basically a bench player. If he stinks, I’ll keep churning that spot until something hits.

Off to a nice spring start, too FWIW.

And lastly,

I’m rooting for him and agree that a change in scenery can do wonders, especially if one is leaving the launching pad that is Camden yards and facing the AL East.

That being said, I’ve gambled on him in the past and I just don’t see the turnaround being likely. He has two great secondary pitches in his slider and changeup. But his fastball just continues to get absolutely torched, especially in the juiced ball era. Unless he starts showing high 90s heat consistently with movement I wouldn’t count on him being anything other than a solid 3 at best.

His stuff is pretty crappy.  His fastball varies so much.  Unless he’s consistently sitting mid 90s he’ll get bombed hard.  He’d live 95 one inning last year, then 89-90 next.  Unless his stamina builds up I have a hard time believing he isn’t destined for a future in bullpen.

4 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

His stuff is pretty crappy.  His fastball varies so much.  Unless he’s consistently sitting mid 90s he’ll get bombed hard.  He’d live 95 one inning last year, then 89-90 next.  Unless his stamina builds up I have a hard time believing he isn’t destined for a future in bullpen.

He may be destined for a bullpen spot eventually, but he's going to be given every chance to start. He doesn't put guys on base for free, he K's a lot of guys, but he gets hit hard at times. He's still young enough to figure it out, and he's a promising late round dart throw in all honesty. Getting out of BAL could work wonders for him for several reasons. 

• Like 1

Great spring so far, if you put any stock in that.  AL only pitching gets thin fast with Verlander, Sale, Severino, Clevinger all out for at least some time, and a risk factor in drafting any of them. Obviously Severino is out for the year.  

Steamer has him just outside the top 20 for AL starters.  Rotowire has him as the 12th most valuable AL starter.

AL only???? Bro his secondary stuff is filthy , and he has a lot of spin on his fastball.  Reasons he’s going to put up great numbers this year

- leaving bottom 5 ballpark for pitchers too a top 5

- leaving worst fielding % team for one of the best

- pitching behind one of the best offenses in all of baseball now

- leaving the toughest division in baseball 

- averages a K per inning 

The dude hits all the marks as a huge sleeper this year, name a starter on the orioles that had a great season last year? The AL east is where pitchers go get mashed on.  Sonny gray(Yankees), David price (Red Sox), Ra Dickey (blue jays).  All guys that were former CY youngs or top 3 finishers , your can’t tell me the AL east is easy

• Like 1
  • 4 months later...

Studly outing - he has really come a long way since he was in BAL. I thought his career was doomed TBH - but something changed in the 2nd half of 2019. He's always been a reliable source of Ks (that's why I've followed him since he broke in) but the ratio cost was way too high. He's figured something out.

I saw most of his game today - he was in control from the get-go. We'll see how he does v the Stros and Rangers but overall his moving to the AL West is an additional boost to value if he's truly coming into his own. A's are no slouch offensively either but not a lot of longball threat there which has been his Achilles.

Cautiously optimistic.

31 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

Studly outing - he has really come a long way since he was in BAL. I thought his career was doomed TBH - but something changed in the 2nd half of 2019. He's always been a reliable source of Ks (that's why I've followed him since he broke in) but the ratio cost was way too high. He's figured something out.

I saw most of his game today - he was in control from the get-go. We'll see how he does v the Stros and Rangers but overall his moving to the AL West is an additional boost to value if he's truly coming into his own. A's are no slouch offensively either but not a lot of longball threat there which has been his Achilles.

Cautiously optimistic.

He figured out that he was no longer trapped in Baltimore and had a better group of coaches to work with.  🙃

Mike Yastrzemski suddenly has done quite well once he escaped the long years in Baltimore's poorly coached minors to land in SF.  Can't overate finally going to a different organization that actually has decent coaches.

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, tesla said:

a walk and 3 hits including a double and a HR in the first inning following by 5 excellent innings with 1 hit and 1 walk.   

I didnt watch it, only looking at the box score.  what now?

My take is he’ll be a better SP outside of Camden and using his off speed stuff more but he was throwing 90 mph today. He’s not Jamie Moyer. The upside is limited. There will be days where hitters tee off on his heater

5 hours ago, EmbargoLifted said:

Best pitching line of the season so far ? 

9 IP 4 H 1 ER 10 K 0 BB

For Bundy, sure. Amongst all pitchers I’d give it to Hendricks who threw a CG SO w/ 3 H, 0 BB, 9 k’s on opening day vs Brew crew. 

• Like 1

90-ish FB will hurt him against non-non-Lewis M’s line-ups.  I still like him, but please exercise caution.

Edited by BMcP