Sign in to follow this  
DLB4ever

Austin Ekeler 2020 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Not surprised. Seeing his injury live, I legit thought the dude was done for the season. The 4-6 weeks seemed aggressive considering one of his ligaments got torn off the bone

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Droppable if in a league with no IR?

We're now probably looking like 3-4 MAYBE?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, meekzy said:

 

If later rather than sooner means 6 weeks instead of 4 then there's nothing really unexpected here. His time table was 4-6 weeks, so if he comes back by week 10 we're pretty much getting what we were told. But we all know how injuries go. It's actually pretty big of Lynn to give us a non-filtered response here, rather than the typical neutral coach speak for the next 4 weeks. Unfortunately this honesty pretty much seals the deal for us that he's not tradable now. I wish I would've been more aggressive in dealing him earlier. When he comes back we have no idea what the situation in LA is going to look like. We also have no idea how he's going to be integrated in. A week 10 return will be meaningless if he's eased back into things. What will make me feel much better is if LA starts winning some games. They're 1-4 now. Their next 5 games couldn't get softer. If they win 3 or 4 of them I think LA starts looking at this season a little differently. That's a real big if though. If they don't start winning, I'm not sure there's much motivation in putting their stud RB (who they have signed 2023) out there to handle a full load again after a tough injury. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Nickmo said:

If later rather than sooner means 6 weeks instead of 4 then there's nothing really unexpected here. His time table was 4-6 weeks, so if he comes back by week 10 we're pretty much getting what we were told. But we all know how injuries go. It's actually pretty big of Lynn to give us a non-filtered response here, rather than the typical neutral coach speak for the next 4 weeks. Unfortunately this honesty pretty much seals the deal for us that he's not tradable now. I wish I would've been more aggressive in dealing him earlier. When he comes back we have no idea what the situation in LA is going to look like. We also have no idea how he's going to be integrated in. A week 10 return will be meaningless if he's eased back into things. What will make me feel much better is if LA starts winning some games. They're 1-4 now. Their next 5 games couldn't get softer. If they win 3 or 4 of them I think LA starts looking at this season a little differently. That's a real big if though. If they don't start winning, I'm not sure there's much motivation in putting their stud RB (who they have signed 2023) out there to handle a full load again after a tough injury. 

 Agreed - best hope to see him back this season is the Chargers rattling off some wins in the meantime.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how many of you guys listen to Sirius fantasy radio, but different experts on different shows have all agreed you will be lucky to see Ekeler before the end of the year. That injury is basically tearing your hamstring from the bone often with a chunk of the bone with it.

Edited by donslaughtonslaught
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, donslaughtonslaught said:

Not sure how many of you guys listen to Sirius fantasy radio, but different experts on different shows have all agreed you will be lucky to see Ekeler before the end of the year. That injury is basically tearing your hamstring from the bone often with a chunk of the bone with it.

A real man could have easily walked that off.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any more thoughts on this guy? Is he worth acquiring if the price is right for the stretch run or should we chalk this up as a lost season?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

Any more thoughts on this guy? Is he worth acquiring if the price is right for the stretch run or should we chalk this up as a lost season?

 

I think he is. I'm trying hard to get him as a Chargers fan. If he comes back in the week 10-12 range could be a league winner. Both the other Chargers RBs are underwhelming and Herbert passes to his RBs quite often, and they run a lot of screen plays. Ekeler is the king of receiving backs right next to Kamara and his schedule is quite nice.

The only concern is that his injury was worse than reported, but we have no reason to believe that. He got two separate opinions that both gave him a 4-6 week time window, and a few of the fantasy doctors said if he rests a full 6 weeks or so he should come back to 100%.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Root for the Chargers! The best bet is that they're 4-5 heading into the Jets game on Week 11. If they aren't, I think they'll shut him down. Next 3 are against the Broncos, Raiders, and Dolphins. I think this Sunday will be a must win. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah that's a good point to bring up. If they drop a game in the next week or two here, they are out of playoff contention. If that happens, I don't expect Ekeler back until really late in the season, and even when he does come back, he will share a lot of snaps. They aren't risking their franchise RB on a long-term deal on a lost season, and hamstring injuries are high risk of re-injury.

Edited by harck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 9:15 AM, Travis Burten said:

I don't even care if he doesn't come back til Week 12. I just need him for the playoffs...

Bingo.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you guys optimistic he still comes back this season? Wondering if I should trade for him to a team that’s losing playoff hope.

 

my only concern is if the chargers are out of playoff contention and let’s say the RB committee does relatively okay why would they bring him back for a lost a season ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, coleworld7 said:

Are you guys optimistic he still comes back this season? Wondering if I should trade for him to a team that’s losing playoff hope.

 

my only concern is if the chargers are out of playoff contention and let’s say the RB committee does relatively okay why would they bring him back for a lost a season ?

That's my concern also. I own Ekeler and Jackson, and I'm considering drop some FAAB for Pope. Because if they are out of contention, I can see them testing what they have on the roster, like a preseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chargers have had double digit leads in the past 3 games, and lost them all.  I don't know if they risk Ekeler when the playoffs are not an option?  Anyway he's running, but still looks to be 2/3 weeks away from playing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive never understood the narrative that when a team is out of contention, theyll just “shut him down”.  You guys understand theres ppl fighting for their livelihood right? Namely anthony lynn.  If hes healthy, he’ll play, simple as that.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Bish0p said:

Ive never understood the narrative that when a team is out of contention, theyll just “shut him down”.  You guys understand theres ppl fighting for their livelihood right? Namely anthony lynn.  If hes healthy, he’ll play, simple as that.

 

I hear you, but the front office has the ability to shut down their investments. But I agree, sometimes "the shut him down" logic is flawed.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if not totally shutdown, he may not be the workhorse that we expect him to be. They may want to ease him in slowly only to fk up our playoffs.

Edited by rotochat

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a long-term investment. He had a very serious injury with high reinjury risk. They have a QB now, meaning they have a future. I expect them to shut him down and roll with Jackson/Pope ROS. There is simply no reason to put him back in now that their playoff chances are over. It's sad. Watching the Chargers blow yet another lead was brutal. But it is what it is. If you don't have Jackson, be sure to get Pope. And if you can't get neither, buy Kelley while he is cheap. Jackson is injury prone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bish0p said:

Ive never understood the narrative that when a team is out of contention, theyll just “shut him down”.  You guys understand theres ppl fighting for their livelihood right? Namely anthony lynn.  If hes healthy, he’ll play, simple as that.

 

Telesco can override the coach. He gave an interview a few days ago where he said don't expect Ekeler back for at minimum 3 weeks, but 0 expectations. That was a minimum timeline. The org isn't going to want to rush back it's #1 RB who just signed a 4 year deal if they aren't in playoff contention. Hamstring injuries have a high chance of recurrence if not given a long time to heal, and his was severe. They aren't going to want to rush Ekeler back for a few garbage weeks and risk a big playoff year in Herbert's second season.

Hence, if they win the next 2 games, I'd expect Ekeler back in week 11. If they drop one, I'm expecting him back in a limited capacity in week 13-14.

Edited by harck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, coleworld7 said:

Are you guys optimistic he still comes back this season? Wondering if I should trade for him to a team that’s losing playoff hope.

 

my only concern is if the chargers are out of playoff contention and let’s say the RB committee does relatively okay why would they bring him back for a lost a season ?

If Ekeler is healthy why wouldn't he play? If the Chargers refuse to play him even though he's healthy I'd think that would cause a massive issue with the NFLPA and NFL. People are always concerned with these situations but they never really play out like everyone fears. If he's healthy he'll play.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

this week is the 6 week mark since his injury no? ...  so assuming with an extra week of rest maybe we can see him back Week 10 or week 11 vs Jets? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, brooklynfinest42 said:

this week is the 6 week mark since his injury no? ...  so assuming with an extra week of rest maybe we can see him back Week 10 or week 11 vs Jets? 

It's concerning the lack of updates. Usually there's at least some positive coach speak along the way even if it's just hyperbole. I dumped my shares of him. It's an option for you guys holding on. If you can deal him for any upgrade that will have an immediate impact, let someone else take the risk.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.