Sign in to follow this  
KCTD25

Dylan Cease 2020 Outlook

Saw a clip on twitter of his new, simpler delivery and it really reminds me of Giolito last year. I'm all in.

• Like 1

Yeah I'm trying to sneak him thru my auction on the cheap.

The biggest changes to Cease’s delivery, repertoire? One word, Yasmani Grandal <sic>! Generally regarded as one of if not thee best framer in the business. If he can steal a strike every now and again, as opposed to James McCann, we could be looking at another Giolitto breakout. 

50 minutes ago, chucky said:

The biggest changes to Cease’s delivery, repertoire? One word, Yasmani Grandal <sic>! Generally regarded as one of if not thee best framer in the business. If he can steal a strike every now and again, as opposed to James McCann, we could be looking at another Giolitto breakout. 

Does that mean Giolito will have an even bigger breakout now that hes going from McCann to Grandal? Hard sell for me. Grandal might help Cease's situation, but the breakout will certainly only come from him improving himself (namely control issues), not a stolen strike every so often.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Does that mean Giolito will have an even bigger breakout now that hes going from McCann to Grandal? Hard sell for me. Grandal might help Cease's situation, but the breakout will certainly only come from him improving himself (namely control issues), not a stolen strike every so often.

I think you guys can both be right here. It's hard to quantify just how much an impact a catcher can have on a guy.  He can't pitch like a bum, true, but it really could be the difference in a big breakout year. 

Some pitchers have crazy splits pitching to catchers they like and don't like. Sale is one. We won't know the Grandal effect until the season starts.

On 4/9/2020 at 9:38 PM, sleepysock said:

Some pitchers have crazy splits pitching to catchers they like and don't like. Sale is one. We won't know the Grandal effect until the season starts.

Unless they use robotic home plate umpires. Then the Grandal framing effect becomes mute point. Computers don't give automatic 3-0 pitches a called strike, if they're not a strike.

On 4/14/2020 at 11:43 AM, chucky said:

Unless they use robotic home plate umpires. Then the Grandal framing effect becomes mute point. Computers don't give automatic 3-0 pitches a called strike, if they're not a strike.

Its a great point...though I still think that Grandal can have  a major plus impact on this young stud arm...as a mentor coach teammate and get him in a strong frame of mind to harness his skills...

• Like 1

On 4/5/2020 at 8:56 AM, chucky said:

They may test run robot strike zone if they have to start the season in empty spring training facilities.

11 minutes ago, roscobangs said:

Ok but are we starting tomorrow.

Please don't tell me you drafted Cease to watch him turn into a Cy Young candidate on your bench

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Rough first start, but hey, no walks.  Cleveland is a tough lineup.  I'm taking a run tomorrow against KC. Who's with me?

Edited by 89Topps
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Rough first start, but hey, no walks.  Cleveland is a tough lineup.  I'm taking a run tomorrow against KC. Who's with me?

This helped me pick him up and roll with him and someone else rage dropped. I was on the fence. Thank you. Now, it seems like he's giving up more hard contact than he should with how good his stuff is. What's up with that? I'm thinking maybe he's slightly tipping pitches, either consciously or not, or he's not getting enough movement on either of FB or slider. For now, I'm holding and will likely start next time out. NO WALKS Again! even though a couple close calls. Others thoughts?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, aapox said:

This helped me pick him up and roll with him and someone else rage dropped. I was on the fence. Thank you. Now, it seems like he's giving up more hard contact than he should with how good his stuff is. What's up with that? I'm thinking maybe he's slightly tipping pitches, either consciously or not, or he's not getting enough movement on either of FB or slider. For now, I'm holding and will likely start next time out. NO WALKS Again! even though a couple close calls. Others thoughts?

I agree with the hard contact take. It seemed like there was 3 or 4 hit right on the screws that ended up being lineouts to the outfield. I wouldn't be surprised if he was tipping his pitches a bit... He would get a lot more whiffs if he could be more deceptive

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Just in case this helps others, I'm dropping him [...] I appreciate the W and decent numbers Cease gave me, but i'm worried about another blow-up next time out. He could easily do well, but I saw enough against KC to know that it's not enough of a confident play.

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Sat yesterday out.  Good outing, but 5 walks. Yeesh.

Until he improves his command he's just another guy with great stuff that will tantalize and frustrate you in equal measure. One year it might just click for him but until then you're gonna get Folty type numbers, maybe with an extra K per inning.

22 hours ago, sleepysock said:

Until he improves his command he's just another guy with great stuff that will tantalize and frustrate you in equal measure. One year it might just click for him but until then you're gonna get Folty type numbers, maybe with an extra K per inning.

Folty is more of a head case while Cease never seems to lose mental control, but I get your point. Cease may end up being the righty version of Rob Ray. 

Anyone bold enough to stream this guy tomorrow? Detroit's offense has been sneaky hot.

5 hours ago, aapox said:

Anyone bold enough to stream this guy tomorrow? Detroit's offense has been sneaky hot.

I'm doing it. Last chance I'm giving him, though. These high-grade stuff guys that have limited command get me every damn year.

• Like 1

Don't blame anyone for benching this guy in any format or even dropping him in a redraft league, but someone dropped him in my dynasty league and I scooped him quickly. Command and control are lacking for sure, but guys with this kind of stuff don't grow on trees. He was pumping 99-100 mph gas in his last start with a nasty hook and slider, and his changeup also looked pretty good. Maybe 5 guys in the league with that kind of stuff. I'm willing to let him chill for a while until he hopefully finds his command. Reminds me a lot of Glasnow who I also own in the same league.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, bradwatson said:

Don't blame anyone for benching this guy in any format or even dropping him in a redraft league, but someone dropped him in my dynasty league and I scooped him quickly. Command and control are lacking for sure, but guys with this kind of stuff don't grow on trees. He was pumping 99-100 mph gas in his last start with a nasty hook and slider, and his changeup also looked pretty good. Maybe 5 guys in the league with that kind of stuff. I'm willing to let him chill for a while until he hopefully finds his command. Reminds me a lot of Glasnow who I also own in the same league.

Agree with all of this, maybe not Glasnow upside, but maybe.  Either way, certainly an ideal dynasty league buy low if possible and if you can just let him stay on your bench.  This is certainly the type of a guy who makes a few adjustments and his stock rockets.

• Like 1