FrankReynolds

Andrew Benintendi 2020 Outlook

1 hour ago, FrankReynolds said:

Whats everyones take on him this season? Leading off in a great lineup. I could see a bounce back to 2018 numbers.

This is my take and he is DND for me. 2018 was the year the cheater arrived. Check out the strikeout rate on the road in 2018, then check out his all world strikeout rate at home.

• Like 1

Avoid.

I'm not really sure what's going to happen to Boston with the cheating deal, and they don't have good pitching. It seems like it could be a long year for the Red Sox. Tuff division, but other than the Rays there really isn't good pitching. They have a great lineup still, and lots of runs should be scored. Benintendi should lead off in a good lineup. He is only 25. I'm not ready to give up on him yet. I think he will be a good 5 category value this year

I've been weighing all offseason whether he can be counted on as a starter in 12 teamers. Last season was just awful, compounded by the fact that just about every scrub hit 20+ HRs with the rabbit ball. If he can't cut it as a leadoff guy his value could tank in a hurry on what already feels like a defeated Red Sox team.

Watching his spring stats closely. He sucked last year and carried it seamless into the season. The year before he tore cover off ball in spring.

In his last 1300 PA, he's managed to hit 29 home runs. That's mind-numbingly bad in the juiced ball era. 

• Like 2

His ADP of ~8th round seems about right.  I am still passing.

I tend to avoid players that have down years in what is supposed to be their prime.

• Thanks 1

I think he was pretty beat up last year.  He also seems like the kind of bum a** player who will do better on mediocre teams with no expectations.  Boston shouldn’t be great this year, if they let him run a good amount he could be good ADP target.  Not a huge fan of bat talent.  I think he’s a guy like Corey Seager scouts massively whiffed on.  Both former #1 overall guys, both pretty same mediocre offensive skill set.  Games played/counting stats are key for players like that.  Any nick or injury and season pretty much derailed.  

10 hours ago, B&F said:

I tend to avoid players that have down years in what is supposed to be their prime.

I'd do the opposite. There's no value in chasing players at early adps coming off career years. This is a pretty crystal clear buying opp.

6 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Not a huge fan of bat talent.  I think he’s a guy like Corey Seager scouts massively whiffed on. 

Imagine thinking those guys are whiffs by scouts.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

He also seems like the kind of bum a** player who will do better on mediocre teams with no expectations.

He's be great on the Mariners then.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, absknicks said:

In his last 1300 PA, he's managed to hit 29 home runs. That's mind-numbingly bad in the juiced ball era. 

I read something about his change of launch angle (attempting to hit more HR’s) cost him his Avg and didn’t result in anymore jacks. Speaking of Corey seager, he did something similar last year. Hopefully they both get back to their natural games. Not everyone has to be a home run machine in this era. 

17 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

I'd do the opposite. There's no value in chasing players at early adps coming off career years. This is a pretty crystal clear buying opp.

Imagine thinking those guys are whiffs by scouts.

Me too, I think this is the way too go