AlexxelA

Early draft strategy help (keeper) WHIR!

How would you draft first 2 rounds if this was your keeper team?

Yahoo H2H 10 team league.  R/HR/RBI/SB/AVG/OPS & W/SV/K/ERA/WHIP

Keepers (entire league kept 46 hitters, 14 SP)

C -

1B-

2B - Ketel Marte

SS - Bo Bichette

3B - Rendon

OF1 - Acuna

OF2 - Soto

OF3 -

Util-

Util-

SP1 - deGrom

I have picks 2, 9, 12 in the draft (after keepers) no 3rd round, and no 5th round, then 2 6th round picks... 

Players I'm considering top 12: 

SP: Giolito, Castillo, Clevinger, Glasnow, Greinke, Berrios (this tier of pitchers and a few others in this area available)

RP: Hader, Yates

Batters: Blackmon, Abreu, Eloy, Robert, LeMahieu

Option 1: Charlie Blackmon, SP, SP

Option 2: Top SP, RP, RP (if available)

Option 3: SP, SP, SP

Option 4: Top SP, Robert, Top P

Option 5: Fill up the offense (best hitters)

OTHER strategy?

I would go:

Blackmon, Clevinger, Castillo

I love Robert and think he could be the next big superstar of the game. However, still think you would be reaching for him this early. Same with Abreu, I think he’ll have a monster season, but still reaching this early. 

8 minutes ago, thebestpr21 said:

I would go:

Blackmon, Clevinger, Castillo

I love Robert and think he could be the next big superstar of the game. However, still think you would be reaching for him this early. Same with Abreu, I think he’ll have a monster season, but still reaching this early. 

That would be nice, however I have 2nd 9th and 12th picks and I highly assume all those guys won't all be there at 9 and 12.  One guy has 5th and 6th picks and ZERO SP kept.  1st overall is going to take SP.  I think it will be SP heavy round 1.  

Top 10 Yahoo ranked pitchers that I could probably get in some combination at 9 and 12 = Castillo, Giolito, Darvish, Syndergaard, Clevinger, Glasnow, Greinke, Berrios, Bauer, Woodruff,

Giolito and Castillo are the best pitching choices and I’d go with them and then bats.

4 minutes ago, AlexxelA said:

That would be nice, however I have 2nd 9th and 12th picks and I highly assume all those guys won't all be there at 9 and 12.  One guy has 5th and 6th picks and ZERO SP kept.  1st overall is going to take SP.  I think it will be SP heavy round 1.  

Top 10 Yahoo ranked pitchers that I could probably get in some combination at 9 and 12 = Castillo, Giolito, Darvish, Syndergaard, Clevinger, Glasnow, Greinke, Berrios, Bauer, Woodruff,

Ok, then I would go:

Blackmon

Castillo

Robert

Like I said, I like Robert a lot but you already have 2 stud OFs. If you think Robert might get to you later, then go Abreu.

I would go Blackmon, then whatever 2 SP are there out of Giolito, Castillo, Clev, Grienke or Glasnow. If they are gone go with DJ then Robert

Blackmon, Castillo/Darvish, Abreu

2 hours ago, AlexxelA said:

How would you draft first 2 rounds if this was your keeper team?

Yahoo H2H 10 team league.  R/HR/RBI/SB/AVG/OPS & W/SV/K/ERA/WHIP

Keepers (entire league kept 46 hitters, 14 SP)

C -

1B-

2B - Ketel Marte

SS - Bo Bichette

3B - Rendon

OF1 - Acuna

OF2 - Soto

OF3 -

Util-

Util-

SP1 - deGrom

I have picks 2, 9, 12 in the draft (after keepers) no 3rd round, and no 5th round, then 2 6th round picks... 

Players I'm considering top 12: 

SP: Giolito, Castillo, Clevinger, Glasnow, Greinke, Berrios (this tier of pitchers and a few others in this area available)

RP: Hader, Yates

Batters: Blackmon, Abreu, Eloy, Robert, LeMahieu

Option 1: Charlie Blackmon, SP, SP

Option 2: Top SP, RP, RP (if available)

Option 3: SP, SP, SP

Option 4: Top SP, Robert, Top P

Option 5: Fill up the offense (best hitters)

OTHER strategy?

You’ve got half of your hitters already set, and it’s a great group. I’d absolutely go SP 1st. And I’d love to get a 2nd P at pick 9.

With 10 teams AND shallow offense (no middle/corner, 3 OF), I think you need to load up on pitching. You’re going to have an easy time filling in those offensive spots later with productive bats. You can differentiate your team if you have those offensive players and deGrom, Giolito, and Hader (or whoever). Load up on pitching.

Not sure all the Blackmon love?

He was terrible 3nd half 

Yates

Clevinger

Glasnow

id reach for eloy/roberts at 2. you have the picks. will probably  be a keeper next year for you as well. acuna, soto, eloy/roberts would be must have for me

then you should still be able to get a good arm with pick 9. dont see much difference in the arms

Offense all day. You cna always find a hot picther or young prospect SP. Pure hitters are hard to come by. Robert or Eloy all day

I feel it is easier to fill OF3 and 2 UTIL spots by streaming or just getting lucky in FA over legit SPs.  For instance, last year I picked up Josh Bell, Ketel Marte, Bo Bichette on FA.  I do really want Robert though, and feel I may need to take him #2 since someone may taken him 3-8.  Then I could go SP/SP.

40 minutes ago, AlexxelA said:

I feel it is easier to fill OF3 and 2 UTIL spots by streaming or just getting lucky in FA over legit SPs.  For instance, last year I picked up Josh Bell, Ketel Marte, Bo Bichette on FA.  I do really want Robert though, and feel I may need to take him #2 since someone may taken him 3-8.  Then I could go SP/SP.

one of eloy or roberts will not make it back to you at pick 9.

one of those sp or a similar value sp will.

unless you love one of those sp over the rest then it doesnt make sense to take a sp with ur 1st pick.

who are the next couple sp available? just in case all 6 of those sp go between pick 1 and ur 9th pick

4 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

Not sure all the Blackmon love?

He was terrible 3nd half 

Yates

Clevinger

Glasnow

He has been one of the most consistent OFs in the game for the past 3-4 years. Plus, one of the few guys these days that provides power with good avg/obp. Even with the “terrible” 2nd half, he still put up very good numbers. Im not super high on him, but I think he is without a doubt the best player and lowest risk right now of the group provided. From my perspective its all about risk and proven consistent performance. If you take that away, then it would be extremely easy for me. I would go Glasnow, Robert (then Clevinger) first without a doubt since Glasnow could be the next Degrom and Robert could be the next Trout. Perhaps he can afford more risk since he has a really good offensive core. Maybe....

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, thebestpr21 said:

He has been one of the most consistent OFs in the game for the past 3-4 years. Plus, one of the few guys these days that provides power with good avg/obp. Even with the “terrible” 2nd half, he still put up very good numbers. Im not super high on him, but I think he is without a doubt the best player and lowest risk right now of the group provided. From my perspective its all about risk and proven consistent performance. If you take that away, then it would be extremely easy for me. I would go Glasnow, Robert (then Clevinger) first without a doubt since Glasnow could be the next Degrom and Robert could be the next Trout. Perhaps he can afford more risk since he has a really good offensive core. Maybe....

Age 34 season. Doesn’t run anymore. Meh. Not many hitters keep producing at that age. Thicc HR hitters like NCruz and DOrtiz are the exceptions. I want no part of Blackmon.

Edited by Backdoor Slider

Got it. I understand and respect your point.

He still had really good numbers last year. Seems like you are assuming 2nd half was the start of the end. I dont necessarily agree with that. I think the risk of Blackmon not producing is lower than for example the risk of Clevinger and Glasnow getting injured.

I saw your response and dont disagree with it. He has a very good offense already so he could just go SP all the way. I dont like the options he has to go that early. Also,  I just dont like to do that so early on the draft. I try to keep a “best player available” mentality early then fill in the holes. My preference.