Sign in to follow this  
larfboy

The next acuña

1 hour ago, Dark One said:

That certainly may be true, though I believe the premise of this thread in a broader sense is "help me find the next superstar prospect I can add to my roster before the other managers in my league become wise to him".

I think that statement makes more sense then "finding the next Acuna". Because if you are wanting the next Acuna, then Luis Robert already disqualifies himself considering what Roberts is doing now at 22, Acuna did at 19.  

20 hours ago, BackyardBaseball said:

The problem with this thread is that everyone writes about 17-18 year olds more than ever after the rise of acuna/soto.

I agree whole-heartedly with this. I was lucky enough to get Acuna late in a dynasty draft and basically fell a**-backwards into discovering him. I don't see somebody with his track record of being the youngest player in two different leagues and out-hitting all of his peers being looked over like that these days. Acuna and Soto both showed promise once they got stateside and were still being looked over; that isn't happening anymore. If you want these guys cheap now, you have to be on them earlier, and there's a lot more uncertainty going with that.

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

I agree whole-heartedly with this. I was lucky enough to get Acuna late in a dynasty draft and basically fell a**-backwards into discovering him. I don't see somebody with his track record of being the youngest player in two different leagues and out-hitting all of his peers being looked over like that these days. Acuna and Soto both showed promise once they got stateside and were still being looked over; that isn't happening anymore. If you want these guys cheap now, you have to be on them earlier, and there's a lot more uncertainty going with that.

That's correct. A trend I've seen is that prospect sites are super aggressive now ranking the uber ceilings and almost disregarding the floors. However there is different types of leagues from small amount of keepers to huge dynasty formats. Given the smaller amount of keepers teams will always shoot for the moon because the waiver wire will provide plenty of value. The trick becomes speculating in deeper dynasties on the high ceiling/low floor international teenagers over higher floor college types without as much upside. 

Edited by tucker26

19 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Seems like he can hit pretty well, but he doesn't have much projection in his body left and its not a good body. Seems similar to Wille Calhoun in that sense, but not as good as a hitter but perhaps a more passible defender. Could be solid, doesn't feel like a difference maker though. I'd probably be looking to own him in leagues where like 100 + prospects are owned.

Thanks man! Always appreciate your input.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/10/2020 at 8:21 AM, tucker26 said:

That's correct. A trend I've seen is that prospect sites are super aggressive now ranking the uber ceilings and almost disregarding the floors. However there is different types of leagues from small amount of keepers to huge dynasty formats. Given the smaller amount of keepers teams will always shoot for the moon because the waiver wire will provide plenty of value. The trick becomes speculating in deeper dynasties on the high ceiling/low floor international teenagers over higher floor college types without as much upside. 

agreed, the days of seeing the Pavin Smith's ranked over Luis Matos' seem to be long gone. The thing that troubles me though, is not having full certainty of each dynasty league existing by the time the pups arrive (I suppose my own existence at that point isn't certain either ¯\_(ツ)_/¯).) Which is why I'm always looking for a league with long-term commitments. I'd much rather join a $50 league that covers five years at $10 per year, than a $50 league where you pay each season. I applaud ProspectsLive for implementing something of that variety with their new bestball. 

But more on topic, I've become enamored with the Giants system in recent weeks - which is somewhat unexpected considering it felt like "Chris Shaw and a bunch of farts" just a couple seasons ago. Whomever is doing their international scouting is absolutely killing it. Aside from the obvious high riser in Luciano, I'm super intrigued by Pomares, Matos, and Canario. (and while we are here, Tristan Beck is showing flashes reminiscent of the "lost" Giants prospect, one Zack Wheeler). Even Abiatel Avelino looks somewhat intriguing, as seen here.

I'm not a huge Heliot Ramos fan (dream scenario Jorge Ona?) but I think Seth Corry is among the most underrated pitching prospects in the game. This farm has come miles from where they were, and I won't be shocked if any of Matos, Pomares, or Canario become "the next big thing" - to an extent. Especially Matos. 

Edited by ChicksDigTheOPS
  • Like 2

On 3/8/2020 at 9:25 PM, rasto21585 said:

I like Bobby Witt Jr, Corbin Carroll and Jeter Downs as some future potential 5 tool studs

Riley Green seems to be one of the best hitters out of last year's draft.  Comes with a longer time table and some risk but the ceiling is probably higher than all of the above listed.

On 3/9/2020 at 9:00 AM, charger_ss24 said:

Would the next Acuña be his son? Now that’s a DEEP dynasty league!

Claiming draft rights of unborn children now that's hard core dynasty!!

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I'm not a huge Heliot Ramos fan (dream scenario Jorge Ona?)

Not sure what you meant by this. Ona is a prospect, a worse one. You're saying Ramos' best case scenario is him?  I've heard the Cespedes comp a lot.

5 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Not sure what you meant by this. Ona is a prospect, a worse one. You're saying Ramos' best case scenario is him?  I've heard the Cespedes comp a lot.

I mean, Heliot is who Ona would become in a dream scenario. That thick, fairly athletic bod with good pop who can hit. It was a bit out of left field. 

4 minutes ago, ChicksDigTheOPS said:

I mean, Heliot is who Ona would become in a dream scenario. That thick, fairly athletic bod with good pop who can hit. It was a bit out of left field. 

I mean they both finished the season at AA and Ramos is almost 3 years younger. Guess I'm not super familiar with Ona's body, but Ramos certainly projects to be a better hitter.