Sign in to follow this  
octapuss

Joey Votto 2020 Outlook

What does old man Votto have left? Lots of big bats in Cinncy this season. Im say 20 HR and 70 RBI. Will be interesting.

20 minutes ago, octapuss said:

What does old man Votto have left?

Hmm ... I'm going to go with "pretty much nothing" as my answer.

• Like 1

I fell into this trap last year. Not doing it again. I’ll let someone else take him based on name value. One of the greatest hitters of all time but he seems to have met Father Time. 

Not a terrible flier in OBP leagues. Don't think the power is coming back but maybe he can have a .380 OBP with 15 HR 80 R 80 RBI?

• Like 2

Man, that decline was swift.

2017 -  163 wRC+
2018 - 130 wRC+
2019 - 101 wRC+

Sucks to see, but he was a beast for a long time.

4 hours ago, Overlord said:

Hmm ... I'm going to go with "pretty much nothing" as my answer.

This.

• Like 1

He's a reliable option in NL Only leagues and 16-20 team mixed leagues. In deeper formats it's more valuable to have a guy that's dependable and give you decent runs, avg., OPS.  I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole in 12-team leagues and below.

20 minutes ago, MJDrocks said:

He's a reliable option in NL Only leagues and 16-20 team mixed leagues. In deeper formats it's more valuable to have a guy that's dependable and give you decent runs, avg., OPS.  I wouldn't touch him with a 10-foot pole in 12-team leagues and below.

Got him at pick 286 in my draft and hold 15 teamer.

Steamer is actually higher than ATV but roughly...600 plus AB's with anywhere from 18-22 HRs, 80-90 runs, 65-75 RBIs with a .270/.380

solid value in a UT/CI slot

18 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Don't draft him, guys. 

It depends on league size & settings. Both my leagues that are drafting a slow he went pick around 150-170. He sure suits nice for the corner infielder (CI) or OBP leagues 

7 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

It depends on league size & settings. Both my leagues that are drafting a slow he went pick around 150-170. He sure suits nice for the corner infielder (CI) or OBP leagues 

Ew that seems crazy high for someone like Votto. Give yourself a chance of some upside drafting in that range!

6 minutes ago, merlin401 said:

Ew that seems crazy high for someone like Votto. Give yourself a chance of some upside drafting in that range!

I agree with your assessment  ... I was not the one who drafted him. But alot of those so called projections from , ...  have Votto as safe play. 270/385. 

Maybe I’m in minority but I like him this year. Much better team around him.  Reds made some massive upgrades.  Should help counting stat opportunities, and he always has a nice OBP.  It’s hard to really know what his HR total will be even in his prime top 20 pick seasons.  If he can get that OBP back up to .380 range he should score 80+ runs, get 15 HR, 60-75 RBI, 5 or so SB.  I could find worse targets at end of drafts. 

• Like 1

His exit velocity went up last year when he stopped choking up. He plays in a sick park for LHBs so if he sells outs for power, I bet he could hit 25 again. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Maybe I’m in minority but I like him this year. Much better team around him.  Reds made some massive upgrades.  Should help counting stat opportunities, and he always has a nice OBP.  It’s hard to really know what his HR total will be even in his prime top 20 pick seasons.  If he can get that OBP back up to .380 range he should score 80+ runs, get 15 HR, 60-75 RBI, 5 or so SB.  I could find worse targets at end of drafts. 

Agreed. Late in drafts he has value.

13 hours ago, dod959 said:

His exit velocity went up last year when he stopped choking up. He plays in a sick park for LHBs so if he sells outs for power, I bet he could hit 25 again. 

If he ever sold out for power he could probably hit 40 HR with a low average, but that's just not the approach he takes at the plate.

I caught some of an interview a few weeks ago in which he admitted he didn't prepare enough last year and said he was recommitting to prep work and getting back to basics this year. Who knows if he can stave of Father Time for another year but I think he might be undervalued a bit at this point. 

41 minutes ago, Mikewastaken said:

I caught some of an interview a few weeks ago in which he admitted he didn't prepare enough last year and said he was recommitting to prep work and getting back to basics this year. Who knows if he can stave of Father Time for another year but I think he might be undervalued a bit at this point. 

I guess he's not wearing the age regression T-shirt this year, lol! Votto has sucked in spring for the last 3-4 years so you can hardly put stock into that. If he was batting .350 right in ST the outlook here wouldn't be so gloomy. Given health, I'd expect a small bounce back from last season but no reason to reach for him cause he's an after thought it seems based on ADP. In OBP leagues reaching a tad somewhat shouldn't hurt if he flops. But definitely is teetering towards that Todd Helton late 30's range. In the end, he's not costing much so gambling a bit shouldn't hurt late in drafts.

19 hours ago, Cmilne23 said:

Maybe I’m in minority but I like him this year.

3s2e8b.jpg

18 minutes ago, Overlord said:

3s2e8b.jpg

Can we get a sad emoji on here?  😢 

46 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

He's homered in each of his first two games.

Stop it, he’s staring at me on the waiver wire. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1