Sign in to follow this  
Coach George

Kyle Lewis 2020 Outlook

On 7/20/2020 at 9:30 PM, einstein2u said:

i am getting a pete alpnso vibe

Kyle heard you...

Who was that Rays former top prospect that went nuts in the early weeks last year then totally fizzled out? Any chance of a similar story here?

29 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

Who was that Rays former top prospect that went nuts in the early weeks last year then totally fizzled out? Any chance of a similar story here?

you mean Beckham?

9 hours ago, swfcdan said:

What on earth does one have to do with another?

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What on earth does one have to do with another?

You didn't used to be so condescending. 

All we do is compare and contrast players. "This guy is the next...." His question is valid, and I think he was talking about Tim Beckham. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RogerKlotz said:

You didn't used to be so condescending. 

All we do is compare and contrast players. "This guy is the next...." His question is valid, and I think he was talking about Tim Beckham. 

Not at all condescending.  I just don't understand why one prospect that was hindered in his development by a physical injury would be compared to someone who isn't even remotely like him in background and history.  It was a total oranges and apples thing that made absolutely no sense to me.  Thanks for posting it was Tim Beckham btw.

I agree with BBT here. No idea what the point is. They have nothing in common besides the team they are on. The implication that Kyle Lewis could be this year's Tim Beckham for no other reason than they are both Mariners feels like nonsense. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

I agree with BBT here. No idea what the point is. They have nothing in common besides the team they are on. The implication that Kyle Lewis could be this year's Tim Beckham for no other reason than they are both Mariners feels like nonsense. 

It was totally a condescending comment. Wasn't anything to do with being Mariners, that would be nonsense.

It's because they are both former top prospects who lost their prospect shine before making it to the bigs, both are strikeout prone with poor plate discipline, yet both have big power. Ok with the comp now?

Hopefully Lewis won't go the same way, but it was at least worth posing the question to find out other views on him. I'm putting in a few FAAB bids [...] (could he be legit).

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed bench coach content.

45 minutes ago, swfcdan said:

It was totally a condescending comment. Wasn't anything to do with being Mariners, that would be nonsense.

It's because they are both former top prospects who lost their prospect shine before making it to the bigs, both are strikeout prone with poor plate discipline, yet both have big power. Ok with the comp now?

Hopefully Lewis won't go the same way, but it was at least worth posing the question to find out other views on him. I'm putting in a few FAAB bids [...] (could he be legit).

No I really don't see the comparison. Beckham was 29 at the start of last year, Kyle Lewis just turned 25, his one trip to the majors last year was good.  One's a wirey infielder ones a big OFer. The main similarity is starting a season hot on the Mariners.  Lewis might suck in a week or so, but I'm bullish on him as a dynasty asset. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

No I really don't see the comparison. Beckham was 29 at the start of last year, Kyle Lewis just turned 25, his one trip to the majors last year was good.  One's a wirey infielder ones a big OFer. The main similarity is starting a season hot on the Mariners.  Lewis might suck in a week or so, but I'm bullish on him as a dynasty asset. 

Yep. There is zero benefit of comp'ing the two. Lewis has only had injuries holding him back, and made a splash in his debut last year. Dude can barrel a baseball.

With the competition he's faced early on, it is an awesome start...and carry-over from everything he's done since he's seen big league pitching.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yep. There is zero benefit of comp'ing the two. Lewis has only had injuries holding him back, and made a splash in his debut last year. Dude can barrel a baseball.

With the competition he's faced early on, it is an awesome start...and carry-over from everything he's done since he's seen big league pitching.

Beckham was also a head case and a primadonna whereas Lewis seems the exact opposite and willing to put the work in. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, swfcdan said:

I wrote the statement and I am telling you flat out it was NOT condensing.  It was utter confusion that anyone would tie those two together.  So please don't read your emotions into my matter-of-fact post.  And no they have no connection to each other at all other than a Mariner connection.  So no I am not okay with the comparison now.  Again someone with a serious injury it took 2 years to get over entirely compared to an underachiever?  Nope, no comparison at all that I can see.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

[ Let the "condescending or not" derail go now. ]

6 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

3x as valuable as Trout so far. Makes you think.

KYLE the KID jr.!

What a stud! Keep rakin'!🍃🍂🍃🍂🍃🍂🍃

He's going to cool down, but I love that he bats #3, Mariners think he's their best hitter. Will provide value regardless.

I’m just wondering about the SBs. They always seem to throw over to 1st when he’s on first. How fast is he? 

Wondering what the going rate is on Lewis right now.  He is completely on fire.  Is it time to sell him in keeper leagues or is he a buy?

Just now, Bgraham10 said:

Wondering what the going rate is on Lewis right now.  He is completely on fire.  Is it time to sell him in keeper leagues or is he a buy?

Why would anyone sell Lewis in dynasties or deep keepers?  He is finally healthy after 2 years and living up to his potential.  Buying would have been nicer earlier if we all had crystal balls of course. But then his price could continue to rise down the line too.

He's raking and I'm loving owning him everywhere I can. But that K rate is pretty scary.

In fact he's the leader in hits and 2nd in K's so far lol. How bout that stat folks. Feels like that avg is going to go south but maybe not as much as most, as he does seem to line the ball whenever he makes contact.

Posted (edited)

Kyle Lewis owners, how are we feeling now that we're a few weeks in? Are you holding or trying to sell high? [...] 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed bench coach content