Sign in to follow this  
Ecofolux

Eric Hosmer 2020 Outlook

Anyone buying into his new "launch" angle approach?

From RotoBaller:

"After posting four-year lows in home runs (18), runs (72), RBI (69) and OPS (.720) in 2018, San Diego Padres first baseman Eric Hosmer is focused on improving his swing plane. Hosmer’s -1.2 degree launch angle last season was second-worst in the majors and the veteran is working to return to career norms. Never a fly ball hitter, Hosmer’s historically made his pay in the three-to-six-degree range, which he and hitting coach Johnny Washington believe will require just minor adjustments. After signing a mega-deal in 2018, pressure likely contributed to his replacement-level WAR and meager offensive contributions. While his power numbers will likely remain static, improvement in average and run production appear probable. At his 172 ADP, Hosmer is currently a bargain-level first baseman and rebound fantasy candidate."

He can sleep walk to 100 RBIs hitting behind Tatis Pham Machado.  Great lineup for him.  He sucks though.  He’s purely a volume stat accumulator.  80 runs, 20 HR, 100 rbi, .270/.750 is probably the upside at this point.

• Like 2

I think every single regular fantasy baseball owner knew that contract was a godawful abomination from day ******** one, yet somehow Scott Boras managed to get the Padres not only to offer it, but also managed to get them to move Wil Myers the outfield (creating a terrible roster crunch that's still screwing over the franchise) in doing so.  

Hosmer has some value in deep leagues, but primarily as a util/depth guy.  At least he never seems to be hurt.  

37 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

He can sleep walk to 100 RBIs hitting behind Tatis Pham Machado.  Great lineup for him.  He sucks though.  He’s purely a volume stat accumulator.  80 runs, 20 HR, 100 rbi, .270/.750 is probably the upside at this point.

He was only good in fantasy when he was hitting .300 which he probably wont do ever again.

Hoping for ONE more decent year. Crossing fingers!

I've gotten a few times as a backup in bestball.  He and Cron seem to be a nice value in that kind of situation.  Just kind of solid accumulators, but they go among a lot of guys with uncertain roles and injury concerns.  He's gonna have plenty of solid weeks and is a reliable, steady eddy backup.  People are drafting him around guys like Yandy Diaz, Michael Chavis, etc. whose upside is that they get the PT or make the adjustments to become Hosmer.  

Even a dude like Hosmer MIGHT make his own adjustments or have some good luck and put in a big season.  I think people sometimes feel that this is impossible for the steady vet types.  But it happens. DJL last year. Cano a couple years back.  

• Like 1

You really effed up your draft of you have Eric Hosmer starting in anything other than crazy deep or NL only leagues.  There's probably 50 corner infielders I'd rather have.

On 3/21/2020 at 10:00 AM, 89Topps said:

You really effed up your draft of you have Eric Hosmer starting in anything other than crazy deep or NL only leagues.  There's probably 50 corner infielders I'd rather have.

I own him in a deep league as my CI. 

Nights like tonight, especially on opening night, feels good. 

Too much hate for this guy considering where he is drafted.  He should be a solid contributor with R an RBI.  Won't hurt in BA.   

Heard he's made some changes to his swing. Working out so far...who's taking the bait?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, swfcdan said:

Heard he's made some changes to his swing. Working out so far...who's taking the bait?

One more good day and I’m jumping. 10 team dynasty [...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story