Sign in to follow this  
Picard56

Miguel Cabrera 2020 Outlook

Don't call it a come back...

Something, something, best shape of my life... something, something....

But seriously, he came to camp noticeably slimmer, almost looks to be the same size as when he first came up as a rookie. Blasted two far long homers in spring training.

Any value to be had here? He can still hit, just the power disappeared for him last year.

Maybe a healthier Cabrera, we are talking .290 with 20-24 homers this year, or just a pipe dream?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Picard56 said:

But seriously, he came to camp noticeably slimmer, almost looks to be the same size as when he first came up as a rookie. Blasted two far long homers in spring training.

Any value to be had here? He can still hit, just the power disappeared for him last year.

Maybe a healthier Cabrera, we are talking .290 with 20-24 homers this year, or just a pipe dream?

He is now on my radar.  Thank you.  

ADP is so low.  Looks like he is completely forgotten.

9 minutes ago, B&F said:

ADP is so low.  Looks like he is completely forgotten.

Who?

16 hours ago, Picard56 said:

Blasted two far long homers in spring training.

FWIW, both were off Gerritt Cole.

These all-timers don't forget how to hit, they just need to stay healthy.  Everyone thought Chipper was cooked but he comes back after 2007 and posts three all-star seasons.  Miggy is done being an MVP candidate, but he could be serviceable.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

These all-timers don't forget how to hit, they just need to stay healthy.  Everyone thought Chipper was cooked but he comes back after 2007 and posts three all-star seasons.  Miggy is done being an MVP candidate, but he could be serviceable.  

Sometimes people like to easily write off some old players, but I can remember a few that had good seasons after looking toast. Carlos Delgado is one that comes to mind when he hit 38 homers at age 36/37 I believe and Victor Martinez had a power surge with 32 homers at age 35 and 27 homers at age 37. 

I'm not saying Miggy is gonna have a resurgent season, but maybe someone to be keeping an eye on in case he does start off hot. 

1B is sneaky shallow to boot.

• Like 1

Thanks for the report.  This guy was so far off my radar i didnt bother checking anything.  I was fooled by the "shape of his life" stuff 2 years ago.  Although i dont discount the chance that he has a mini comeback as a result of extensive conditioning, what's the absolute ceiling here? .270 with 24 hrs or so? Those types are usually findable.  I'd rather take a chance on a potential breakthrough like Honeywell,or de leon types in the hopes that I mine a giolito of we're at the end of a draft.  Maybe even a guy who's a candidate to be a closer.   These are the types of things I look for at the end of a draft,which is the only place I'd consider taking Cabrera.   In a deep draft,or an AL only,everything changes.

16 HR in 529 PA’s in 2017

Barely played in 2018

12 HR in 549 PA’s in 2019

I think you can get ready for some beef stew, the guy is cooked.

• Like 1

As a Tigers fan, seeing how slim Miggy looks right now is pretty shocking. 

The weight loss is very noticeable. With that being said, I am expecting a good BA and not sure what else. 

On 3/10/2020 at 9:51 PM, Picard56 said:

Didnt he come into last spring in the best shape of his life, best mindset, new tribal tattoo etc?

He’s 100% washed.  Don’t waste your time.  He was healthy last year and even with a bouncy ball he couldn’t get it over the fence.  He’s a singles hitter now.  He could roll out of bed at age 45 and hit .275 because he’s that good of a hitter.  But he’s an empty singles hitter in a horrid lineup.  Zero upside.  Would rather go for someone with an ounce of upside than him.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/11/2020 at 5:14 PM, B&F said:

1B is sneaky shallow to boot.

I'd take him at a utility spot. not passing up on any top tier 1b if they come my way.

Edited by The_Real_Deal

3 minutes ago, The_Real_Deal said:

I'd take him at a utility spot. not passing up on any top tier 1b if they come my way.

I’d take you finishing last if he ends up in your UTL spot.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cmilne23 said:

He’s 100% washed.  Don’t waste your time.  He was healthy last year and even with a bouncy ball he couldn’t get it over the fence.  He’s a singles hitter now.  He could roll out of bed at age 45 and hit .275 because he’s that good of a hitter.  But he’s an empty singles hitter in a horrid lineup.  Zero upside.  Would rather go for someone with an ounce of upside than him.

This. This thread is pretty pointless. We might as well be discussing the value of having Willie Mays on our teams. This guy is done and should be retired.

• Like 1