al3x

2020 Sleepers

I'm letting everyone else go after Happ. 

I like:

Christian Walker

Gio Urshela

Wil Myers

Austin Riley

Quintana

Porcello

Céspedes

• Like 1

Steven Matz. Former high prospect who dealt with injuries to start his career. Entering age 29 season. Coming off consecutive 30 start seasons.

Saw an increase in Innings pitched, QS's, and Wins from 2018 to 2019.

Did have an increase in ERA and WHIP but wasn't astronomical. Career ERA at 4.05. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 24/7fantasysports said:

Steven Matz. Former high prospect who dealt with injuries to start his career. Entering age 29 season. Coming off consecutive 30 start seasons.

Saw an increase in Innings pitched, QS's, and Wins from 2018 to 2019.

Did have an increase in ERA and WHIP but wasn't astronomical. Career ERA at 4.05. 

Matz was on my team most of last year in a 5x5 h2h league with QS. He was a very solid backend SP until the later end of the season. I'll be targeting him again. I dont consider him a sleeper, just undervalued. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

how about Starlin Castro? Looks to be slotted into the 3-hole for the Nats, after Trea and Eaton and right ahead of Soto (and Thames, perhaps). His second half was awesome last season, after he made numerous adjustments. Lots of good stuff on him on Twitter (various FBB sites/articles) lately

Much better in AVG than OBP leagues, though.

Some saying he could be this year's breakout a la Eduardo Escobar from last season

Here are some good blurbs on him and his adjustments:

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/03/sleepers-for-rbis-2020-fantasy-baseball/

https://www.rotoballer.com/jbs-bold-predictions-for-2020/727181

https://www.pitcherlist.com/why-starlin-castro-deserves-your-attention/

Edited by WTP333
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, WTP333 said:

how about Starlin Castro? Looks to be slotted into the 3-hole for the Nats, after Trea and Eaton and right ahead of Soto (and Thames, perhaps). His second half was awesome last season, after he made numerous adjustments. Lots of good stuff on him on Twitter (various FBB sites/articles) lately

Much better in AVG than OBP leagues, though.

Some saying he could be this year's breakout a la Eduardo Escobar from last season

Here are some good blurbs on him and his adjustments:

https://www.fantasypros.com/2020/03/sleepers-for-rbis-2020-fantasy-baseball/

https://www.rotoballer.com/jbs-bold-predictions-for-2020/727181

https://www.pitcherlist.com/why-starlin-castro-deserves-your-attention/

Has he been slotting 3rd in ST? I'm looking at projections and he seems to be hitting in the 5 hole in front of Thames/Zim;  plus he has Asdrubal stealing AB's..

Until he proves me wrong, I'm passing on Castro until he shows me something. And by now his ship has sailed IMO

7 hours ago, Redphan said:

Has he been slotting 3rd in ST? I'm looking at projections and he seems to be hitting in the 5 hole in front of Thames/Zim;  plus he has Asdrubal stealing AB's..

Until he proves me wrong, I'm passing on Castro until he shows me something. And by now his ship has sailed IMO

Yes he has

https://www.baseballpress.com/teams/wsh

and a beat writer recently said Martinez is leaning trea, Eaton, Castro, Soto, which I saw on Twitter 

Not a conventional sleeper, but I like Kevin Kiermaier at the end of drafts.  Basically, he's the Lance McCullers of hitting, but far cheaper.  Will he get hurt? Of course.  Till then you have an 18/22ish player when everybody is freaking out about getting speed to the point of downgrading the likes of Trout and Arenado.  You're probably going to be churning this roster spot no matter who you pick, so there should be some exciting call up or whatever by the time the injury hits.  

And, I guess, it's theoretically possible he stays healthy.  He's just turning 30. 

JD Davis

Shocked no one has said this name on this thread as he's probably the true sleeper I'm most excited about. 

-All the peripherals numbers are great

-Path to playing time is all most completely clear now

-Mid-20s HR guy in the minors to show a decent track record

-27 years old, perfect age for a breakout

-Solid numbers across the board in only ~400 ABs, has just needed a chance.

-Mulitple position eligibility

• Like 1

Wade Davis bounce back year ...Sleepy saves ...dirt cheap on draft day

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Wytchclt55 said:

JD Davis

Shocked no one has said this name on this thread as he's probably the true sleeper I'm most excited about. 

This completely. The things you kind of hinted at but I wanted to point out specifically are his statcast numbers - this guy hits the ball HARD. He doesn't strike out a ton and hits the ball to all fields.

You can tell he's a big powerful guy just by looking at him. If he decides to lift the ball more I could see 30+ HRs

I could see him being a late bloomer type like Josh Donaldson. Sign me up for that

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wytchclt55 said:

JD Davis

He's definitely undervalued. Guy was a monster on a per AB basis last year. Playing time could potentially be muddy with Cespedes coming back after the delay, but they will have to make room for him.

More of a possible huge profit then a sleeper but like my Cesar leaving manager Gabe Kapler for Terry Francona this player is getting away from Kapler due to his firing. Jean Segura with Joe Girardi could put up similar numbers to his pre Phillies time. Girardi ran wild in his 1st 5 years as a manager but then hardly ran at all but that could be to having a 38 year old Jeter, 36 year old ARod, 40 year old Ibanez, 31 year old Granderson etc... His 2 youngest players in his starting lineup that year were Russell Martin and Robinson Cano at 29.His Jeter retired and the following year there was 1 starter under 30 Jeter's replacement Eduardo Nunez and the trend more or less continues so he didn't have much to work with. If Segura steals more and has a bit better .BABIP luck he could be a big profit and if not going at ADP 189 and as SS 20 it won't sink you. Finally he will likely add 3B and or 2B eligibility.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 11:48 PM, Known2bg said:

I'm letting everyone else go after Happ. 

I like:

Christian Walker

Gio Urshela

Wil Myers

Austin Riley

Quintana

Porcello

Céspedes

Blasphemy!

But I do hope I can rekindle some Rakin' Riley again this year...

On 3/15/2020 at 10:31 PM, Redphan said:

Yeah I think him hitting 3rd would be short lived, if at all. 6th? Sure.

Posted (edited)

Who are some sleepers and undervalued players you like this season? 

Edited by gbill2004

Posted (edited)

[...] It's hard for me to even remember my sleepers. Dansby is the first that comes to mind, Urias on the pitcher side. 

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed reference to deleted "there will/won't be a season" derail.

I think DeSclafani and Houser are a couple SP that will outperform their draft slot.

Cespedes, Howard, Rich Hill, Alex Wood, Frenchy Cordero

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2020 at 7:23 AM, GamblorLA said:

Not a conventional sleeper, but I like Kevin Kiermaier at the end of drafts.  Basically, he's the Lance McCullers of hitting, but far cheaper.  Will he get hurt? Of course.  Till then you have an 18/22ish player when everybody is freaking out about getting speed to the point of downgrading the likes of Trout and Arenado.  You're probably going to be churning this roster spot no matter who you pick, so there should be some exciting call up or whatever by the time the injury hits.  

And, I guess, it's theoretically possible he stays healthy.  He's just turning 30. 

As much as I like KK, I think he's on the soft decline. He has a questionable hit tool, especially against lefties and I think he's heading for a platoon (albeit on the strong side) and late defensive replacement playing for a team who does a prime job of mixing and matching. He is a truly wonderful baseball player though and I hope like hell I am wrong, but giving him plenty of days off may lessen the wear on his bod considering just how relentless he plays. 

Edited by kwolf68
  • Like 1