Gamecubesupreme

How is your league handling the news that NBA is suspending its season?

Recommended Posts

10 minutes ago, MWon said:

If the NBA votes to cancel the league, because I'm in money leagues as commish, I'll just reimburse owners' fees.  If players who are winning whine about it ... well, honestly, I'm in first in quite a few of my leagues, with some pretty stacked rosters, so I'd use that as my leverage.  And honestly, I don't feel like ANY commish needs to answer to those comments.  People are sick, terrified, overworked/losing jobs and money, and dying.  Fantasy (and yes, even highball money leagues) is really not so important when looking at the bigger picture.

Nah, I think we had enough of a season to take the standings for the payouts. Split with all playoff teams or use the original payout metrix on the current standings.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dorwell said:

Nah, I think we had enough of a season to take the standings for the payouts. Split with all playoff teams or use the original payout metrix on the current standings.

 

Your call in your league.  I'm sticking with mine.  In a few incredibly even leagues of mine, not a single person is locked in for the playoffs, and the difference between 1st and 8th is only about 5 games, while the last place teams are actually not too far behind; we're a week right before the actual playoffs, and certain teams are actually going 2-7 or 1-8 in their current matchups to heavily move them up or down in the rankings.  

Also, in the OTHER leagues where I'm both commish and far ahead in the standings, I don't think it'd be fair to make that call either way, given there's a conflict of interest as both the beneficiary of the decision and the decision-maker.

But again, I don't disagree with your choice.  However, I think each commish has a rather arbitrary decision to make here and while it won't please everyone, it needs to be as just and as fair as possible depending on the context of each league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, MWon said:

 

Your call in your league.  I'm sticking with mine.  In a few incredibly even leagues of mine, not a single person is locked in for the playoffs, and the difference between 1st and 8th is only about 5 games, while the last place teams are actually not too far behind; we're a week right before the actual playoffs, and certain teams are actually going 2-7 or 1-8 in their current matchups to heavily move them up or down in the rankings.  

Same in our league. But in your first post you were pretty clear. If first place or last place everyone gets the same money back not time to whine. Why is it so hard to take the current playoff standings as a basis for payout. Wouldn't be a harsher decision then your first suggestion. And tbh. There are a couple of teams in the league who had already given up and are dead last while our first place team played, drafted and add/dropped his butt off to get #1 in the ranks. I think this has to be valued.

But you are correct. Every league has to decide for its own.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone know if you can halt transactions in espn? Know you can in yahoo but can’t seem to find anywhere to do it on espn. Need to do it before the team that already has curry, harden, kawhi and jokic adds the likes of Isaac, oubre and co!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if the pot was originally for top 3, then just award it to the top 3 finishers..like people played and tried the whole year so should be rewarded as such. It sucks for the other teams but the situation is what it is.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MWon said:

I've locked two of my leagues as the commish; no players can make any roster changes, including any transactions.  I'll unlock the league at a predetermined time once the NBA gives its verdict on the season.

Will probably hold it to a vote, but if tomorrow, the NBA votes to continue the season, I'll probably either mandate that all owners be prevented from adding dropped injured stars who might feasibly return this season given time (e.g. Klay, Oubre, Isaac, Bagley, etc; based on an agreed upon list), or do a randomizer and allow the winners to add their choice of those players.  I don't think it's fair if I give a specific time of unlocking rosters/transactions and let owners freely grab players.

If the NBA votes to cancel the league, because I'm in money leagues as commish, I'll just reimburse owners' fees.  If players who are winning whine about it ... well, honestly, I'm in first in quite a few of my leagues, with some pretty stacked rosters, so I'd use that as my leverage.  And honestly, I don't feel like ANY commish needs to answer to those comments.  People are sick, terrified, overworked/losing jobs and money, and dying.  Fantasy (and yes, even highball money leagues) is really not so important when looking at the bigger picture.


A big no for me personally. People who have been mathematically eliminated from playoffs should not receive any money back. Heck, most of them out of contention in my leagues have stopped setting lineups already. 
 

The fairest way is to give end of season standing pot by current standings if there is one, and playoff pot divided between playoff eligible teams, either evenly or percentage based on standings.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be very surprised if free platforms like ESPN and Yahoo eventually resume fantasy basketball season. There are a lot of unknowns (e.g. games played ROS, schedule) and variables (e.g. H2H playoff weeks, Roto games played). It's simply not realistic or practical for them to expend their resources to work on solution(s) amidst all the uncertainty, and it could be too late to react by the time things are certain. And let's also not forget that ESPN and Yahoo are also likely dealing with the coronavirus in their own way. If I were their fantasy sports development team, I'd see the NBA season as a lost cause where you can't make everyone happy no matter what you do, and would be bracing for what's gonna happen to the upcoming baseball season. 

For now, I've suspended transactions in my H2H league. In the off chance that ESPN / Yahoo fantasy basketball resumes, I'll only re-open if our league comes into a unanimous agreement on how we proceed with the season. The most likely scenario is that I just refund all buy-ins. While I briefly considered going with standings or somehow splitting between prospective playoff teams, as the commish I see it as a conflict of interest to award myself. If there is no unanimous agreement, the I see the only fair option as to pretend that the season never happened.

I'm also gonna say that context matters, because if I were a distant 12th in a 12 team league I would not refund the buy-in back to myself, as that would also be its own conflict of interest. If that were the case, I'd forfeit my own buy-in and refund everyone else.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The current champ is claiming he's going to be the first champ to reign for two straight years. Right. lol

 Might start calling him the COVID Champ.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree more with the guys that are saying just go by the standings. This season has gone on for 19 weeks (20 if you don't combine the all-star half weeks). The teams at the top have earned it. I mean, maybe it's a good solution to give all playoff teams an even share. But that virtual trophy has to go to somebody. The 1st place team makes the most sense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If its playoffs, split the pot evenly with remianing teams.

If its still reg season, split the pot with those locked in for playoffs and run a random number generator for those on the bubble OR they can decide to split the remaining 1 or 2 spots between all bubble boys. 

Paying out refunds to those at the bottom of the ranks is bs.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Locked all of my leagues and just waiting it out until something more comes of it. Should the season be cancelled, I'll move forward with either refunding my money leagues or distributing to playoff teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My idea was for all playoffs teams (8) to get a free entry for next year (14 teams- $200 entry) and the rest of the prize money be added to next season prize money (4k instead of 2.8k)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is there a chance the games go on in a few weeks?  They suspended games not canceled.  So hypothetically we could start back up in a few weeks?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For you roto guys maybe an option could be just start next year with how you left off now. Essentially combining the 2 seasons. The money would just carry over to next year. Along with next years entrance fee it would be one big pot. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Spyplane said:

The current champ is claiming he's going to be the first champ to reign for two straight years. Right. lol

 Might start calling him the COVID Champ.

 

haha Im legit already organising getting "COVID-19" engraved on our trophy as this years champ 🤣

Edited by DamoESP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious to see how yahoo/ESPN will handle it if the season does resume at some point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, MWon said:

I've locked two of my leagues as the commish; no players can make any roster changes, including any transactions.  I'll unlock the league at a predetermined time once the NBA gives its verdict on the season.

Will probably hold it to a vote, but if tomorrow, the NBA votes to continue the season, I'll probably either mandate that all owners be prevented from adding dropped injured stars who might feasibly return this season given time (e.g. Klay, Oubre, Isaac, Bagley, etc; based on an agreed upon list), or do a randomizer and allow the winners to add their choice of those players.  I don't think it's fair if I give a specific time of unlocking rosters/transactions and let owners freely grab players.

If the NBA votes to cancel the league, because I'm in money leagues as commish, I'll just reimburse owners' fees.  If players who are winning whine about it ... well, honestly, I'm in first in quite a few of my leagues, with some pretty stacked rosters, so I'd use that as my leverage.  And honestly, I don't feel like ANY commish needs to answer to those comments.  People are sick, terrified, overworked/losing jobs and money, and dying.  Fantasy (and yes, even highball money leagues) is really not so important when looking at the bigger picture.

I disagree with the reimbursement part. For those who were eliminated weeks ago that had no chance of making playoffs why should they get their money back? They were never winning any kind of money anyway.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sebapargue said:

My idea was for all playoffs teams (8) to get a free entry for next year (14 teams- $200 entry) and the rest of the prize money be added to next season prize money (4k instead of 2.8k)

 

All playoff teams play a separate 8-team league next season to battle it out!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Bringthesonicsback said:

Waiting to see what the report is after a month. Some owners that’ve been eliminated for weeks are wanting money back.. so this should be fun

 

Lol, yeah this is bullsh*t.  Most of the people that are out of contention and stand to lose their buy-in feel that everyone should get their $$$ refunded as if it's the "fair thing to do," (go figure?) whereas the rest of the league believes the people who have earned their PO spot/seeding have earned their share of the winnings after investing the past 5 months.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have seen 2-3 dead bottom seeded team popping up in group chats asking for refunds lmao. We talking...had no chance at PO since like December asking for money back smh 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dorwell said:

Nah, I think we had enough of a season to take the standings for the payouts. Split with all playoff teams or use the original payout metrix on the current standings.

 

Agreed.  As commissioner in several H2H leagues this is the approach I'm taking.  And in doing so I personally would not stand to profit as much as I could have if PO's are completed.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dorwell said:

Nah, I think we had enough of a season to take the standings for the payouts. Split with all playoff teams or use the original payout metrix on the current standings.

 

Yup, that was an incredibly terrible reply and pitch by him

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Ok, I kind of encountered a tricky situation with regards to splitting the pot for playoffs bound team. 
 

If we are to do the total split between the top 6 seeds..which standings do we go by? Last official league standings or the current Live Standings that would account for the current week’s match up that is left in limbo ?!

6th and 7th seed are literally neck and neck. And there is an argument breaking out, if we go by normal standings 6th seed would be safe, if we go by Live standings, he’s knocked out.
 

Both guys arguing...and I can honestly see the argument to each side, due to week 21 matchup left undecided right now.  Thoughts?

Edited by IDatDude

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, beejay6020 said:

Does anyone know if you can halt transactions in espn? Know you can in yahoo but can’t seem to find anywhere to do it on espn. Need to do it before the team that already has curry, harden, kawhi and jokic adds the likes of Isaac, oubre and co!

 

In league settings set the acquisitions limit to "None Allowed".  As LM you can still adjust any recent adds/drops in LM tools, but you have to check the box for "do not count towards team acquisitions." 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.