Gamecubesupreme

How is your league handling the news that NBA is suspending its season?

17 minutes ago, IDatDude said:

Ok, I kind of encountered a tricky situation with regards to splitting the pot for playoffs bound team. 

If we are to do the total split between the top 6 seeds..which standings do we go by? Last official league standings or the current Live Standings that would account for the current week’s match up that is left in limbo ?!

6th and 7th seed are literally neck and neck. And there is an argument breaking out, if we go by normal standings 6th seed would be safe, if we go by Live standings, he’s knocked out.

Both guys arguing...and I can honestly see the argument to each side, due to week 21 matchup left undecided right now.  Thoughts?

I think you should split the pot among all teams that are still in playoff contention. 

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, IDatDude said:

Ok, I kind of encountered a tricky situation with regards to splitting the pot for playoffs bound team. 

If we are to do the total split between the top 6 seeds..which standings do we go by? Last official league standings or the current Live Standings that would account for the current week’s match up that is left in limbo ?!

6th and 7th seed are literally neck and neck. And there is an argument breaking out, if we go by normal standings 6th seed would be safe, if we go by Live standings, he’s knocked out.

Both guys arguing...and I can honestly see the argument to each side, due to week 21 matchup left undecided right now.  Thoughts?

I would say since no one here had any idea this would happen then it should be last weeks standings make it official. If we all knew the NBA season would end/get suspended now then everyone would max out their moves before wednesday games. However I believe Yahoo will count the games played this week so in leagues with no commish I will tell you if you are knocked out this week when you would have been safe had this weeks game not count, you are out of luck.

Edited by Johnnyapplebot
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, IDatDude said:

honestly, why make any decisions right now when no one knows what is going to happen. if everything resumes in 2 weeks, let it play out or make a decision once we know.

no need to get people all bent out of shape until we have all the facts

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

there’s no point in doing anything right now, wait until everything is resolved and we know what is up with the rest of the nba schedule, then decide

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IDatDude said:

My league is splitting playoff money amongst locked payoff teams, $150 each with the 2 teams fighting for the 6th seed splitting their share of the $150 so the guaranteed top 5 get $150 each, 6/7 seed get $75 each and the rest were already mathematically eliminated.  

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, dorwell said:

Nah, I think we had enough of a season to take the standings for the payouts. Split with all playoff teams or use the original payout metrix on the current standings.

This would not make sense for Roto. In my roto league the guy in first place is in first place because he has 30 more games played over fifth place. I'm in fourth place with 24 less games. Guy in 12th place has 50 less games. Everyone has their own valid reasons for why they overplay or underplay their games played based on hunches, injury, performance, etc. But the point is the Current Standings aren't a valid representation of the Final Standings when all 82 GP have been used (or when time runs out). If everyone knew Corona would take out sports at the 65 GP mark then everyone would have used their Games Played more efficiently or proactively. I have seen middle of the pack to last place teams make a significant dent in the Standings with a total of ~180 GP left so I'm not about to count anyone or any team out. If it's not statistically impossible to finish in the $$$, then it's not over yet. So here's a few proposals I have for the 3 different formats I play in:

If NBA resumes within 2-6 weeks:

-Lock and freeze all accounts until further notice ASAP (this should have been done last night already and any transactions after 9PM last night should not have counted). Call this a preservation / snapshot of league history without any further adulteration of evidence and historical stats. Point is to leave everything as is, unchanged, to prevent anyone from further improving their rosters unfairly. If KD / Irving / Simmons was never on a roster before Corona and now they are suddenly healthy and playing if/when NBA resumes, they should remain as untouchable on the FA forever. The point is, those guys would have never made a difference if Corona wasn't around, so why should they make a difference now? Different story if a player was on the roster/IR before Corona.....that means the GM was super patient waiting for someone to come back from injury, gambled or waited for an Act of God.

If NBA cancels regular season:

-For Roto the fairest and easiest thing to do is refund and cancel the entire league. Roto is based on all teams using the same number of Games Played. Due to hunches, injuries, performance etc. this will never be even until the final day of games. There's no way to make it fair unless bias is involved. Averaging out stats or using projections for rest of season is not an accurate representation. There are hot / cold players. First half / second half performers. Injuries. You can't project or average any number without pissing one person off. And if one person disagrees (in touchy, unprecedented times like these) it should be a no go.

-For H2H, and those in Playoffs already, I can see the Playoff teams agreeing to an equal split (total pot divide by 8), or a split based on rankings with top teams getting slightly higher pay if a Bye is involved or if the top teams have much higher Win % etc. Either way this is the easiest to resolve because only Playoff teams should have a say into what happens (non-Playoffs teams already eliminated and had no chance of winning!).

-For H2H without Playoffs yet, same as above, but those fighting for a Playoff spot maybe get a small split too depending how close it is. Usually by now the Top 5 or 6 teams of 8 have already clinched and only 2-4 teams are fighting for the final 2 spots.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, dorwell said:

Same in our league. But in your first post you were pretty clear. If first place or last place everyone gets the same money back not time to whine. Why is it so hard to take the current playoff standings as a basis for payout. Wouldn't be a harsher decision then your first suggestion. And tbh. There are a couple of teams in the league who had already given up and are dead last while our first place team played, drafted and add/dropped his butt off to get #1 in the ranks. I think this has to be valued.

But you are correct. Every league has to decide for its own.

That's because every situation is different.  I'd have people whining regardless.  For instance, there's a guy who's in 9th place in our league, but he's playing against a dead last team and destroying him; if allowed to finish this week, he would've easily made Top 3 due to the closeness in our rankings.  If I cut the season now, he'd be pissed.  On the other end, if I use my own rule of equal payouts/returning fees, I'm up by 20 wins in one league, and I'd have the most reason to whine by implementing my own rule.  And it's impossible to put this decision to a vote, because people would only vote selfishly for their own benefit.

5 hours ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

I disagree with the reimbursement part. For those who were eliminated weeks ago that had no chance of making playoffs why should they get their money back? They were never winning any kind of money anyway.

8 hours ago, blob2004 said:

A big no for me personally. People who have been mathematically eliminated from playoffs should not receive any money back. Heck, most of them out of contention in my leagues have stopped setting lineups already. 

The fairest way is to give end of season standing pot by current standings if there is one, and playoff pot divided between playoff eligible teams, either evenly or percentage based on standings.

It's definitely reasonable to do that.  As I said before, in many of my situations, nearly NOBODY is eliminated entirely, which is different from yours, and because I play in more competitive leagues, there are very few players who have stopped playing (e.g. setting lineups, making moves).  But yes, each situation is different.  Yours makes sense for you, so I don't disagree with any of it.

Once again, however, as commishes, it's our responsibility to not only make a decision as to how to best fairly arbitrate a difficult situation, but also address the situation at hand.  Remember, this is more important than fantasy or money.  People are literally dying.  If you (or your owners) don't believe this affects you beyond money/the satisfaction of winning, then you're incredibly myopic. We need to remind our owners that this goes beyond petty arguments, and it's incredibly sad that THIS is what we're now focused on.  

Case in point, though I was prepared for angry responses as I informed my owners in at least 3 money leagues what I was thinking about in regards to money payouts, not a single person complained, including the people at the top (though my own high ranking may have been enough to dissuade them too).  Yes, I worked my butt off in getting to the top, and in half a dozen leagues this year - I made on average, 40 or so moves per league, watching injury reports, checking/posting in this forum, staying up late to make transactions, and engineering trades.  It's not fun to see all that go down the drain (and yeah, I was expecting a fairly big payout too).  But c'mon, seriously.  This event should really put into perspective what's important in your life.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I found this on reddit which i will apply to my league if it comes down to it and everyone seems on board. This is a 14 man, 8 team playoff league. Our playoffs isn't start till week 23. The guys on the cusp 9th-10th don't really have much to complain about because 2.5% of the total pot would of been not much anyways. I think some ratio in ascending order is fair if there is no end in sight. A full refund to everyone makes very little sense since the season was near complete.

payouts will be

8 - 2.5%
7 - 5%
6 - 7.5%
5 - 10%
4 - 12.5%
3 - 15%
2- 20%
1 - 27.5%

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, MWon said:

That's because every situation is different.  I'd have people whining regardless.  For instance, there's a guy who's in 9th place in our league, but he's playing against a dead last team and destroying him; if allowed to finish this week, he would've easily made Top 3 due to the closeness in our rankings.  If I cut the season now, he'd be pissed.  On the other end, if I use my own rule of equal payouts/returning fees, I'm up by 20 wins in one league, and I'd have the most reason to whine by implementing my own rule.  And it's impossible to put this decision to a vote, because people would only vote selfishly for their own benefit.

It's definitely reasonable to do that.  As I said before, in many of my situations, nearly NOBODY is eliminated entirely, which is different from yours, and because I play in more competitive leagues, there are very few players who have stopped playing (e.g. setting lineups, making moves).  But yes, each situation is different.  Yours makes sense for you, so I don't disagree with any of it.

Once again, however, as commishes, it's our responsibility to not only make a decision as to how to best fairly arbitrate a difficult situation, but also address the situation at hand.  Remember, this is more important than fantasy or money.  People are literally dying.  If you (or your owners) don't believe this affects you beyond money/the satisfaction of winning, then you're incredibly myopic. We need to remind our owners that this goes beyond petty arguments, and it's incredibly sad that THIS is what we're now focused on.  

Case in point, though I was prepared for angry responses as I informed my owners in at least 3 money leagues what I was thinking about in regards to money payouts, not a single person complained, including the people at the top (though my own high ranking may have been enough to dissuade them too).  Yes, I worked my butt off in getting to the top, and in half a dozen leagues this year - I made on average, 40 or so moves per league, watching injury reports, checking/posting in this forum, staying up late to make transactions, and engineering trades.  It's not fun to see all that go down the drain (and yeah, I was expecting a fairly big payout too).  But c'mon, seriously.  This event should really put into perspective what's important in your life.

You sound like a legit, A+ commish....very fair, systematic, and even compassionate way of looking at current situation. Respects. 

If these bottom to mid teams end up getting a refund, then to hell with this. Shows true coward spirit.

Since I am in first place, I am posting non stop gifs about my defacto championship. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, JStyles said:

I will be fleeing the country with my league's pot

I hear Italy is nice this time of year

3 minutes ago, flat_eric said:

I hear Italy is nice this time of year

Believe it or not a lot of young people were taking plenty of opportunity before this ban was announced by Trump to go to Italy because prices are dirt cheap now.

We have implemented following actions:

1) Coronadraft - You get to re-draft players to replace players that have lost value from the free agent pool when the league resumes play. Draft order will be determined by the amount of value each manager has lost.

2) Corona Compensation - If players are out because of corona, you will get their average fantasy points for every game they miss rest of the way.

3) Banned Players - Players such as Oubre, KAT, Simmons etc. who were injured when season was suspended will be BANNED for rest of the fantasy postseason. 

15 minutes ago, JormaJormala said:

1) Coronadraft - You get to re-draft players to replace players that have lost value from the free agent pool when the league resumes play. Draft order will be determined by the amount of value each manager has lost.

2) Corona Compensation - If players are out because of corona, you will get their average fantasy points for every game they miss rest of the way.

3) Banned Players - Players such as Oubre, KAT, Simmons etc. who were injured when season was suspended will be BANNED for rest of the fantasy postseason. 

is this real or a joke? cant tell lol. Does yahoo offer this amount of flexiblity?

Fantrax.

• Like 1

If league officially ends, splitting the winnings to all those who made the playoffs. Most yahoo leagues this is the last week before playoffs start next week, so this would only apply to those who clinched and those who were fighting for a playoff position this week tough luck. 

• Like 3

Silva said suspension will be a minimum of 30 days. I think the biggest issue is now that two players have it. Wouldn't be as bad if it was just the crowd but now they're going to have to test everyone thats played against jazz. I imagine the season would be severely shortened then jump into playoffs so im not really sure how there would be enough time to complete fantasy playoffs. Still had 4.5 weeks left of my playoffs

2 hours ago, JormaJormala said:

I'd hope those players would only be banned if picked up after the postponement, or by a different team. No reason to deny the guy who paid $70 or took KAT with his 1st round pick the opportunity to get him back considering hes just going back to neutral, vs gaining a KAT. Simmons owners should be able to reap the rewards of him, IF they drafted him or traded for him.

Very disappointed that Yahoo Pro Leagues have not even make any statements.

• Like 1

I'm coming first so far in my 8-cat roto league.

The guy coming second is 5 points behind me, and has 30 more games than me. 

The guy coming third is 8 points behind me, and has 10 games more than me.

Heck out of the top 5 teams, I have the fewest games played.

I've literally been first for the majority of the season and was on pace to win it all - mind you, I have no 1st round players, but my team is deep, with at least 8 guys in the top 50.

My point is that I'd be pissed if I didn't I didn't receive the full payout for coming first. 

It's a slap in the face, considering the amount of time and effort I have invested in this high stake money league. 

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like splitting the pot based on H2H standings would be like crowning the Bucks as the champions for this season without having played the playoffs. Team standings in fantasy aren't necessarily the best measure of how well they'd perform in H2H playoffs due to teams that had to deal with suspensions and injuries, which makes splitting based on standings inherently unfair. It's also not the criteria fantasy managers agreed to at the beginning of the season, and changing that seems inherently unfair as well.

I like the idea of splitting the pot between prospective playoff teams a little bit better, but there's enough of a gray area for spots that are still in contention, that it just seems fairer to refund everyone including those out of contention. Call it a lost season and pretend that nothing happened. Sure - it sucks that we invested a lot of time and effort, but a champion based on an agreed upon criteria when people offered their buy-ins doesn't exist. I don't think it's really "fair" for a commish to make judgement calls on what "fair" means.

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, darkyume said:

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like splitting the pot based on H2H standings would be like crowning the Bucks as the champions for this season without having played the playoffs. Team standings in fantasy aren't necessarily the best measure of how well they'd perform in H2H playoffs due to teams that had to deal with suspensions and injuries, which makes splitting based on standings inherently unfair. It's also not the criteria fantasy managers agreed to at the beginning of the season, and changing that seems inherently unfair as well.

I like the idea of splitting the pot between prospective playoff teams a little bit better, but there's enough of a gray area for spots that are still in contention, that it just seems fairer to refund everyone including those out of contention. Call it a lost season and pretend that nothing happened. Sure - it sucks that we invested a lot of time and effort, but a champion based on an agreed upon criteria when people offered their buy-ins doesn't exist. I don't think it's really "fair" for a commish to make judgement calls on what "fair" means.

Agreed.

Just giving it to 1st place is awful as anything can happen in the playoffs. So many what ifs per each league to really figure out a fair way to compensate everyone. Like I've got a team in 6th place thats been on a tear has Wood/White etc and has just taken down the 1 and 2 seeds in b2b weeks 6-3. This team is now the favorite to win the league. So I'm going to get 6th place money or nothing at all and the first 3 places win? Its going to be really difficult to figure out a fair way to distribute prize pools.Everyone will do whats in their best interest to make the most cash. 

Playing on yahoo im just hoping they say "due to these events we will refund everyone in the league". It sucks im going to be up money in NBA. Its just nothing is really going to be all that fair. Sure you can say "well its not fair I put my time in to play my team is best", yeah thats true but nothing is going to workout to 100% fair here. This is supposed to be a fun hobby that we play and other things trump the hobby sometimes.

Edited by buzzkilloton
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Playoffs started this week already 

1-2 seed byes 20% 

3-6 seed 15%

seems most fair for our scenario imo ... thoughts? 

Edited by Asapjoshy

So... 30 days. That’s 4 weeks and basically the end of all league settings right? Or maybe Week 26 if yours go that far but who will be matching up there? Will, say Yahoo, apply tie-breaker scenario until that particular point?

Also, anyone keeping their waiver claim or cancel it and hope no one makes a move then just get the player after to preserve the high priority? Just a thought. 🤪