Gamecubesupreme

How is your league handling the news that NBA is suspending its season?

5 hours ago, megaplayboy said:

If league officially ends, splitting the winnings to all those who made the playoffs. Most yahoo leagues this is the last week before playoffs start next week, so this would only apply to those who clinched and those who were fighting for a playoff position this week tough luck. 

only 1 team in 2 of leagues have clinched.

another league no one has clinched a playoff spot and another where only 2 have clinched

you would statically need a 9+ game lead over the 7th seed to officially clinch a playoff spot.

12 team 6 playoff spots 9 cat

Posted (edited)

10 man league 
6 man playoff

2 bye seeds get 20%
remaining 4 get 15% 

Thoughts  ?

Edited by Asapjoshy

2 hours ago, Asapjoshy said:

10 man league 
6 man playoff

2 bye seeds get 20%
remaining 4 get 15% 

Thoughts  ?

Take your money and run. F them all, that's the thought. 

Posted (edited)

Half the league sounds like they want it to be over. The other half want more basketball. I'm with them. The pandemic is allowing my team to get healthy. One guy has already complained that the league should not go ahead because of "unfair balancing issues" due to injured players coming back from injuries (this is a DYNASTY LEAGUE, guys like Durant and Isaac are rostered all season). Seriously... Well, he can kiss both my a** CHEEKS so that there's, you know, balancing.

Edited by Spyplane

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Spyplane said:

Half the league sounds like they want it to be over. The other half want more basketball. I'm with them. The pandemic is allowing my team to get healthy. One guy has already complained that the league should not go ahead because of "unfair balancing issues" due to injured players coming back from injuries (this is a DYNASTY LEAGUE, guys like Durant and Isaac are rostered all season). Seriously... Well, he can kiss both my a** CHEEKS so that there's, you know, balancing.

And this is the reason why the fantasy season should end right now. Thank you for your reasoning.

Edited by Johnnyapplebot
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, darkyume said:

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like splitting the pot based on H2H standings would be like crowning the Bucks as the champions for this season without having played the playoffs. Team standings in fantasy aren't necessarily the best measure of how well they'd perform in H2H playoffs due to teams that had to deal with suspensions and injuries, which makes splitting based on standings inherently unfair. It's also not the criteria fantasy managers agreed to at the beginning of the season, and changing that seems inherently unfair as well.

I like the idea of splitting the pot between prospective playoff teams a little bit better, but there's enough of a gray area for spots that are still in contention, that it just seems fairer to refund everyone including those out of contention. Call it a lost season and pretend that nothing happened. Sure - it sucks that we invested a lot of time and effort, but a champion based on an agreed upon criteria when people offered their buy-ins doesn't exist. I don't think it's really "fair" for a commish to make judgement calls on what "fair" means.

I’d be fine with a full refund. My other question would be what would you then do for next years draft?  In dynasty, the low man gets a refund and top pick?

if there’s a refund it’s as though the season didn’t happen.  But if the worst team is given the top pick, then the season did happen. 

I called all my leagues. I think that it is the best thing to do given the situation. Luckily there is no money involved. Just told everyone to stay safe and finalized everything based on current standings. Where playoffs are involved, I ranked the teams remaining by regular season standings. People have more important things to worry about with workplaces being altered and schools shutting down. I listened to Josh Lloyds podcast Locked on Fantasy Basketball and I completely agree with his assessment of the situation, for those of you in money leagues, he has some great suggestions too. . My league is on ESPN and there is no way on the site to end it if you are in the middle of playoffs but you can if you had not started them yet in head-to-head leagues.

On 3/13/2020 at 1:42 PM, colepenhagen said:

only 1 team in 2 of leagues have clinched.

another league no one has clinched a playoff spot and another where only 2 have clinched

you would statically need a 9+ game lead over the 7th seed to officially clinch a playoff spot.

12 team 6 playoff spots 9 cat

That is an insanely competitive league. Well done.

23 hours ago, pduce242424 said:

I’d be fine with a full refund. My other question would be what would you then do for next years draft?  In dynasty, the low man gets a refund and top pick?

if there’s a refund it’s as though the season didn’t happen.  But if the worst team is given the top pick, then the season did happen. 

Sorry - I have not played in dynasty leagues, so my posts did not take them into consideration. I think there's more room for flexibility for dynasty leagues, because the COVID-19 disaster did not break the game as much in comparison to redraft leagues. I'd presume freezing transactions is not as necessary because injured top players won't get dropped. Perhaps since the game is not as broken compared to redraft, it could make sense to continue on with the postseason if/when NBA resumes, even if some teams aren't too happy.

If rookie draft order is determined by team record to balance teams out, perhaps it's fair to still go by team record for this season? It doesn't seem fair to carry over the order from 2018-19 season to have the same team get two #1 picks in a row, or to randomize and have the #1 team from this season to potentially get the #1 pick.

My general philosophy is that people paid their buy-ins at the beginning of the season with an unanimously agreed upon payout system, so it feels wrong and unfair for the commish to arbitrarily decide on a new payout system based on personal discretion (e.g. switching to based on team record). I also don't like the idea of taking a majority vote on a way to proceed, because popular idea =/= fair, and that decisions should be unanimous as possible. In the off chance that I can get eligible (teams that aren't mathematically eliminated) teams unanimously on board with an idea to play on the season or split the pot, then cool. Otherwise, full refunds for everyone.

For info on how to handle dynasty leagues, I think it's worth creating a dedicated thread on here or reddit.

On 3/13/2020 at 6:07 AM, Spyplane said:

Yea but part of the problem is, how many games will be played? And especially after this long a** layoff, I just don't see the lottery teams playing their stars every night as this point. 

In my league that I run it was already in the middle of the semis. Finals was supposed to start Monday. I end my seasons early for two reasons: one, it's a 10 team league. It's only fair that everybody plays everybody twice. Fair schedule. And two, I wanna try and beat some of the extreme stretch run tanking and star sitting from lottery teams that are trying to move up in the draft the last month, and/or set playoff teams that can afford to coast and rest their stars down the stretch. 

19 hours ago, Dominator83 said:

In my league that I run it was already in the middle of the semis. Finals was supposed to start Monday. I end my seasons early for two reasons: one, it's a 10 team league. It's only fair that everybody plays everybody twice. Fair schedule. And two, I wanna try and beat some of the extreme stretch run tanking and star sitting from lottery teams that are trying to move up in the draft the last month, and/or set playoff teams that can afford to coast and rest their stars down the stretch. 

My league was almost identical. How did you handle your payouts?

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, Jub Jub said:

My league was almost identical. How did you handle your payouts?

Haven't yet. But gonna see if everybodys on board with the final 4 teams splitting the playoff pie 4 ways. 

I kinda feel like since the postseason wasn't able to finish, that we should turn to the RS standings and award by that. But I'm guessing the 4 way split pisses less people off

Edited by Dominator83

2 hours ago, Dominator83 said:

Haven't yet. But gonna see if everybodys on board with the final 4 teams splitting the playoff pie 4 ways. 

I kinda feel like since the postseason wasn't able to finish, that we should turn to the RS standings and award by that. But I'm guessing the 4 way split pisses less people off

I’m somewhat similar. In my league (10 team) 6 made playoffs. Top two teams had byes and other 4 were mid battle when season got suspended. I don’t buy into awarding the regular season standings. Anything can happen in the playoffs especially towards the end of each season. So I’m leaning towards paying out 20% to eAch of the top 2 and 15% to other 4 playoff teams. Makes most sense I feel. 

1 hour ago, beejay6020 said:

I’m somewhat similar. In my league (10 team) 6 made playoffs. Top two teams had byes and other 4 were mid battle when season got suspended. I don’t buy into awarding the regular season standings. Anything can happen in the playoffs especially towards the end of each season. So I’m leaning towards paying out 20% to eAch of the top 2 and 15% to other 4 playoff teams. Makes most sense I feel. 

True. But if the playoffs don't happen, we still have 20 weeks worth of data that shows who the best teams were. The team that ended a 20 week season at the top deserves the championship in the archive. 

But I'm still planning prize moneywise to split it between all 4 remaining teams 

One route that might be possible in a shortened season is to skip the few weeks that remain to the fantasy regulars season, maybe even skip round one and the top four teams in the standings are the playoffs.

On 3/16/2020 at 2:40 AM, Dominator83 said:

True. But if the playoffs don't happen, we still have 20 weeks worth of data that shows who the best teams were. The team that ended a 20 week season at the top deserves the championship in the archive. 

But I'm still planning prize moneywise to split it between all 4 remaining teams 

20 weeks of data does NOT show who the best teams are. The team that doesn't punt or stash is going to have a great in season record if they do everything right. But if a team stashes and punts a couple categories and does everything right, the punting stasher who makes playoffs with highest game count is the best team. The goal is to 1) make playoffs and 2) win top 2 (maybe 3). The best teams are often the ones that sneak into 6th seed after trading for guys like ayton, collins, fox etc. 

Seeding means nothing, although a bye is a nice but still means nothing since you dont get paid til you make finals. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Seeding DOES mean something. A #1 seed most likely will get an easier match-up than a #4 seed in an 8-team PlayOff. But not in all cases,  of course. The odds are much better for the #1 seed......And getting a bye week in a 6-team PlayOff definitely means something. You are 2 games away from a Championship as opposed to 3 games.

Edited by dino10k

now that we know fantasy is done, have any of you commissioners handled payouts yet?

i run a 10 man and 12 man league.

in both leagues, the 7 & 8 seeds had a mathematical chance, albeit extremely low chance, of making the playoffs. we were in the last week of regular season when the season ended, 4 days left, before playoffs.

im thinking to payout anyone who had a mathematical chance, regardless of how low it was. seeds 7&8 will get their buy in back, while seeds 1-6 split the remainings...

whatis everyone else doing?

Our league is wierd.  10 team. 8 team playoff. The 2 guys in last have been totally statistically eliminated. They 14 games back from 8th. Commissioner says everyone is getting refunded.   I'm way out in front with a 7 game lead over 2nd.  I'm pretty annoyed but I'm not going to throw a fit over the $6 difference. Although, I think the correct move would be for those with a higher seed to get more and 8th place to get less and 9th and 10th to get nothing, but I'm probably biased

I am in multiple leagues

Looks to me if the commissioner is in 1st 2nd or 3rd........... top 3 get paid

If commissioner is out of the money everyone gets a refund...............

13 minutes ago, calcalkid said:

I am in multiple leagues

thats messed up. i personally am in first in one of my leagues but am likely going to do what i listed above.

On 6/11/2020 at 8:58 AM, calcalkid said:

I am in multiple leagues

You can’t be serious. Find better friends or at least people to play with. Not even Pro Leagues are that bad. They at least consistent with their plan. 

The Rotoworld league which was Rotisserie setting split the pot. The top 3 ( which I was one of them ) won $367 each. @Pirate @young_styler

Thank you so much @Pirate. You're a awesome commish. Looking forward to competing with you and the others in the future once we all recover from the world tilting. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

We were playing first round playoffs when corona hit fantasy. 8 teams in, 4 teams out. We are continuing the season and trying to mimic the situation during the cancellation. To do this we have made some adjustments:

- Compensatory measures: Every playoff team gets to switch players not playing anymore (8 teams out of the picture) to players from bottom 4 teams. The changes are being made with value-to-value principle, so for example Christian Woods owner (111 fantasy points per 30 when the break happened) gets to choose Embiid, Jokic or Vucevic for his team. Mitchell Robinson can be switched to Bam Adebayo (104 fp both) etc. etc... The process will be go through with me guiding it as the League Manager but it is a dialogue between competing teams. My target is to get every team gain around the same amount of fantasy points that they lose.

- After that we will have Waiver Draft: every team has the chance to drop players who have lost significant value (Shake Milton) and pick up player from bottom 4 team or waiver. Players need to have value comparable to player dropped. Every player has been assessed and valued accordingly to their value during the cancellation.

- No players who were to be out during playoffs will be eligible (Ben Simmons, Jonathon Isaac...) UNLESS being part of Compensatory measures. If not picked there or in the waiver draft, player will not be eligible after season continues.

- Depending on how the schedule breaks we will use 2 rounds to conclude first round of playoffs. After that 3 games for semis and 3 games for finals. In my knowledge the season will run for 8 more games so it would be 2+3+3. The on-going round scoring needs to be addressed too. Every team will get set number of games for the first part (March games) multiplied by their average score per game from that period. Then we will add set amount of games on top of that (2 rounds when the NBA re-starts). 

Edited by JormaJormala