TheChamp

Guesses on happens if the season does continue?

Posted (edited)

To me what would make the most sense is it takes the results from this week (Week 21 for most) and ends it as is.  and when they come back it instantly starts the Week 22 (Fantasy playoffs for most)  Guessing a lot depends on how many games they'll have scheduled as well..... Anyone have any thoughts/theories? 

Edited by TheChamp
Misspelling

Forget fantasy and do a playoff pool for the teams that qualify for the playoffs it will be an absolute mess to sort this out. My league playoffs were to start next week and last 2 spots were very close 

2 minutes ago, DonutGiveUp said:

Forget fantasy and do a playoff pool for the teams that qualify for the playoffs it will be an absolute mess to sort this out. My league playoffs were to start next week and last 2 spots were very close 

Easy to say, but we're in a big money, very competitive league, and when you've invested a lot of money, and time in it, as a lot of people in here have,there's a lot to be said for at least hoping you get to play it out....  Trust me I know it's not the worlds biggest issue at the moment, but still just a topic of discussion that I think is warranted and a lot of people would at least like to discuss.

• Like 1

Ok heres my take

- Test all players + coaches (~500)

- Get results back within a day or 2

- Quarantine affected

- Take a week off and test 1 more time to make sure no new infections

- Resume games

Why not?

16 games left and NBA already said the amount of games played will be significantly shortened so it sounds like 2 weeks suspended play might be the minimum aka fantasy season is done. I suspect yahoo pro leagues first place overall standings after tonights game wins the championship. Private leagues up to commish and players to decide what they wanna do. 

I am a Commish and it is a brainscratcher how to continue season from here on out. The problem being how can you guarantee fair and equal if play continues in few weeks? There are going to be all sorts of movements during this time. Half of the league might catch the virus and obviously the injured players coming back etc. Its not going to be fair. We were 2 and ½ weeks away from finishing the season. There is no way the playing field is even remotely same in April or May as it is now.

I might just shut it down and call it a season with no winners.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

US is slow to the party. They didn't learn from the mistakes made by China, South Korea, etc in acting quicker. League says season has been suspended, but I doubt they'll have any say on the matter once the government takes a firmer stance on containing the virus. There's no way the NBA can expect to proceed with the playoffs and have fans in attendance with everything that is going on. Season is done.

Edited by droselicious

3 minutes ago, droselicious said:

US is slow to the party. They didn't learn from the mistakes made by China, South Korea, etc in acting quicker. League says season has been suspended, but I doubt they'll have any say on the matter once the government takes a firmer stance on containing the virus. There's no way the NBA can expect to proceed with the playoffs and have fans in attendance with everything that is going on. Season is done.

Why not then just postpone everything until its out of the way? The argument for postponing would be the $$$ obviously

I think bare minimum, if the fantasy season does end you pay the playoff teams equal shares, anyone that had a chance to win, gets a little extra at least, not sure if there's a totally fair answer here, but seems the most logical... Maybe do a small scale for 1st down to 6th...

5 minutes ago, TheChamp said:

I think bare minimum, if the fantasy season does end you pay the playoff teams equal shares, anyone that had a chance to win, gets a little extra at least, not sure if there's a totally fair answer here, but seems the most logical... Maybe do a small scale for 1st down to 6th...

Yeah 1st and 2nd place teams with bye get more money than 3rd to 6th team. Thats honestly the fairest thing to do. I dont see the NBA only being suspended for 1 week which is why i think yahoo is gonna make the decision on monday morning if there is still no news from the nba when this suspension will be lifted.

7 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

Why not then just postpone everything until its out of the way? The argument for postponing would be the $$$ obviously

The situation is expected to get worse before it gets better. It's going to be a while (months) before the coronavirus is "out of the way". 

2 minutes ago, justaguy said:

The situation is expected to get worse before it gets better. It's going to be a while (months) before the coronavirus is "out of the way". 

Is there an issue with waiting for months to resume NBA season?

I don't think there's really an issue waiting a month or two (Maybe some logistics but those could be worked out in some fashion), but my guess is, it would be a very short regular season, maybe 8-10 games  if they did come back, then go into the playoffs, which would be hard to actually have any kind of fantasy playoffs.... 

They are telling 7 teams to quarantine themselves now, every team that's been in contact with Gobert over the last week, so that would take at least 2 weeks, then would need time to get back into shape etc. my guess is even absolute best case it would be a month before it started back up, realistically 6-8 weeks depending on how this thing goes.... Just educated guessing, and time will tell but doubt they'd play out every regular season game if they had to delay that long.. May even just jump right into the NBA playoffs...

27 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

Ok heres my take

- Test all players + coaches (~500)

- Get results back within a day or 2

- Quarantine affected

- Take a week off and test 1 more time to make sure no new infections

- Resume games

Why not?

The NBA is more than just players and coaches. 

There are a lot more people not wearing a jersey involved to get the NBA operate. The refs, trainers, equipment crews, the traveling team members, on and on. 

The players are probably the top 5% in term of good health and immunity system in the world. Tremendous shape and that this coronavirus is not life threatening to them. But it is the people that they can spread it to. 

It is not that simple. This is just getting started. WHO don’t just throw out the word Pandemic for anything. 

• Thanks 1

If they miss 2 weeks they arent going to extend the regular season and add the games postponed/cancelled. They will try to get each team to have an even amount of games played so if thats 74 or 68 or whatever then thats it.

Just now, ginocan said:

The NBA is more than just players and coaches. 

There are a lot more people not wearing a jersey involved to get the NBA operate. The refs, trainers, equipment crews, the traveling team members, on and on. 

The players are probably the top 5% in term of good health and immunity system in the world. Tremendous shape and that this coronavirus is not life threatening to them. But it is the people that they can spread it to. 

It is not that simple. This is just getting started. WHO don’t just throw out the word Pandemic for anything. 

Okay max there are 100 people working directly with each team (that is a MAJOR overestimation IMO), get them all tested, quarantine affected, and resume. Dude there are hundreds of companies with affected employees. They don't shut the entire company down when 1 person is found affected lmao. Okay so what if there are so many people working with each team, what do you think happens if 1 employee is found infected within some other company? Its shut down game over? LOL 

2 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

If they miss 2 weeks they arent going to extend the regular season and add the games postponed/cancelled. They will try to get each team to have an even amount of games played so if thats 74 or 68 or whatever then thats it.

Wonder how that plays out in fantasy...

Just now, terminator10 said:

Wonder how that plays out in fantasy...

It means for those like me who play on yahoo or espn if there is no updated news of the nba saying we will resume play on march 23rd for example by sunday midnight, in my opinion espn yahoo people who run that will declare regular season 1st place winner as champion.

3 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

It means for those like me who play on yahoo or espn if there is no updated news of the nba saying we will resume play on march 23rd for example by sunday midnight, in my opinion espn yahoo people who run that will declare regular season 1st place winner as champion.

So more or less the fantasy season is over is what you're saying

Just now, terminator10 said:

Okay max there are 100 people working directly with each team (that is a MAJOR overestimation IMO), get them all tested, quarantine affected, and resume. Dude there are hundreds of companies with affected employees. They don't shut the entire company down when 1 person is found affected lmao. Okay so what if there are so many people working with each team, what do you think happens if 1 employee is found infected within some other company? Its shut down game over? LOL 

As a matter of fact. Yes. Multi billion dollars companies have been suspending operations due to the potential of their employees getting exposed. People are working from home for that reason. 

You must not be following the market the past few weeks. 

Anyway, be safe out there. There are things bigger than fantasy sports and entertainment. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

Is there an issue with waiting for months to resume NBA season?

You mean well into the off season, draft and free agency? You want the finals to be in September ? What about the offseason and beginning of next season?

The issue with waiting months to resume the NBA season is that everything else gets pushed back. It's a mess

9 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

So more or less the fantasy season is over is what you're saying

Yup i legit believe fantasy season is done. I can't see the nba saying oh we are suspending the season indefinitely then 7 days later saying oh we are good to go now.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

16 games left and NBA already said the amount of games played will be significantly shortened so it sounds like 2 weeks suspended play might be the minimum aka fantasy season is done. I suspect yahoo pro leagues first place overall standings after tonights game wins the championship. Private leagues up to commish and players to decide what they wanna do. 

The problem with this (in roto leagues) is that in some leagues, some teams who are in 1st are just there because the owners have nearly maxed out all of their games played. I'm in 1 league where a guy has played 100 more games than me and I'm in 2nd place. That's bs to dedicated owners like us who have carefully paid attention to games played and worked diligently all season through trades/waiver wire, only to lose to someone who mindlessly starts every player every game. There's no easy solution imo. Sucks.

Edited by young_styler
  • Thanks 1