TheChamp

Guesses on happens if the season does continue?

I still believe there's a slight chance there could be some sort of season, but what happens with the virus over the next 7-10 days is going to be huge, not only for fantasy but overall.  In some weird way between Gobert getting it, the NBA season getting cancelled and a well known and liked celebrity like Tom Hanks getting it, I think it's going to start to make it real for a lot of people, and might start to take it more seriously, and could help slow the virus down immensely.  I think a return to empty arenas in 30-40 days, with a somewhere between 8-12 game regular season schedule and playoffs is still possible, don't know if I'd call it likely, but at least possible and might not be the exact fantasy playoffs people wanted, but at least better than nothing, but time will tell, I'm sure the owners don't want to give up all that money they'd lose on attendance and televised games either, so frankly anything could still be open. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

Yup i legit believe fantasy season is done. I can't see the nba saying oh we are suspending the season indefinitely then 7 days later saying oh we are good to go now.

its possible they test every1 and play in empty arenas once theyre in the clear.......

or so i hope.

i'm assuming we'll end up with a 75 games season at best....maybe fantasy playoffs will be shortened to 5 days for each matchup as opposed to a week.

these are all guesses tho, i wouldn't be surprised with anything at this point.

My most likely scenarios, in order.

1.) NBA has a shortened regular season in empty arenas and progresses to the playoffs, also in empty arenas.

2.) NBA comes back and skips right to the playoffs in empty arenas

3.) NBA plays the full regular season and playoffs in empty arenas

4.) NBA cancels the season entirely.

11 minutes ago, young_styler said:

The problem with this (in roto leagues) is that in some leagues, some teams who are in 1st are just there because the owners have nearly maxed out all of their games played. I'm in 1 league where a guy has played 100 more games than me and I'm in 2nd place. That's bs to dedicated owners like us who have carefully paid attention to games played and worked diligently all season through trades/waiver wire, only to lose to someone who mindlessly starts every player every game. There's no easy solution imo. Sucks.

He has over 100 more games played than you? There's no limit? 

11 minutes ago, HairyShoes said:

its possible they test every1 and play in empty arenas once theyre in the clear.......

or so i hope.

i'm assuming we'll end up with a 75 games season at best....maybe fantasy playoffs will be shortened to 5 days for each matchup as opposed to a week.

these are all guesses tho, i wouldn't be surprised with anything at this point.

Hey anything is possible at this point considering we have never had this scenario before. I just think if we get no news from the nba from now until monday morning next week the people who run yahoo arent going to wait around playing games trying to give themselves a headache trying to calculate fantasy playoffs and whatnot. Much easier for them to say due to the suspended season the 2019-2020 fantasy basketball season has ended. Thank you for playing. 

8 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

He has over 100 more games played than you? There's no limit? 

Yeah he has right at 100 more games played than me and he's approaching the max games played for each position already. Would suck to lose to someone just because they started players more games and didnt keep track of the gp limit. 

• Thanks 1

There is so much money involved, so the NBA will do everything possible to resume to games asap and also play as much as possible. How many games and when this will happen of course nobody knows yet. 

In China the season was postponed in Mid January and will start again in April, so thats ~10 weeks hiatus. I think thats a good estimation also for the NBA. 

In my opinion the NBA rather has the season normally played out and play into the summer and therefore cancel the summer league than shorten the season or even cancel it completely. Of course that is all speculative and you cannot predict what will happen. 

6 hours ago, TheChamp said:

My most likely scenarios, in order.

1.) NBA has a shortened regular season in empty arenas and progresses to the playoffs, also in empty arenas.

2.) NBA comes back and skips right to the playoffs in empty arenas

3.) NBA plays the full regular season and playoffs in empty arenas

4.) NBA cancels the season entirely.

2 is most likely IMO, 4 is 2nd most likely,  3 has 0 chance.  

5 hours ago, KB24MVP said:

There is so much money involved, so the NBA will do everything possible to resume to games asap and also play as much as possible. How many games and when this will happen of course nobody knows yet. 

In China the season was postponed in Mid January and will start again in April, so thats ~10 weeks hiatus. I think thats a good estimation also for the NBA. 

In my opinion the NBA rather has the season normally played out and play into the summer and therefore cancel the summer league than shorten the season or even cancel it completely. Of course that is all speculative and you cannot predict what will happen. 

Exactly.  I am sitting in 4th or 5th place in multiple leagues just waiting to pounce, while teams ahead of me are rapidly approaching their game limits.  No way would it be justified in roto to end the season and appoint winners based on current standings. 

As far as pro leagues go, I gave it some thought.  This doesn't apply to roto leagues, but obviously in H2H, people will be pissed because there's teams already lined up for the playoffs, to say nothing of byes.  And teams that have given up for weeks, maybe months.  Well tough **** you say, right?  That's what I thought and was pretty bummed.  But here's the thing: yahoo takes a cut of pro leagues, and they don't want lose money either.  They're not gonna say tough **** to themselves- they still want that last place team's buy in.

I don't think they can get away with taking a small amount from every team.  "I'm in first place, you better AT LEAST give me my money back, bitch"  With that in mind, I think they might just call it: final standings are the final standings and pay out as necessary.  Most importantly for them, they take their last place team's money as operating costs.

Thought?  What am I missing?

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Tom Chambers said:

As far as pro leagues go, I gave it some thought.  This doesn't apply to roto leagues, but obviously in H2H, people will be pissed because there's teams already lined up for the playoffs, to say nothing of byes.  And teams that have given up for weeks, maybe months.  Well tough **** you say, right?  That's what I thought and was pretty bummed.  But here's the thing: yahoo takes a cut of pro leagues, and they don't want lose money either.  They're not gonna say tough **** to themselves- they still want that last place team's buy in.

I don't think they can get away with taking a small amount from every team.  "I'm in first place, you better AT LEAST give me my money back, bitch"  With that in mind, I think they might just call it: final standings are the final standings and pay out as necessary.  Most importantly for them, they take their last place team's money as operating costs.

Thought?  What am I missing?

100% my thoughts for H2H. I cant speak about Roto.

For technicality, i think they just finish the season out with empty seats like they had planned, once all the players and staff are tested. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

100% my thoughts for H2H. I cant speak about Roto.

If yahoo proleagues do that..i think we have a legit chance of asking paypal for a refund or chargeback.

10 minutes ago, the1gq2nvy said:

If yahoo proleagues do that..i think we have a legit chance of asking paypal for a refund or chargeback.

well for h2h it makes perfect sense to have the end results be what the standings are.

2 minutes ago, Johnnyapplebot said:

well for h2h it makes perfect sense to have the end results be what the standings are.

I don't agree. During playoffs and like in real life its anyones game once your made it in. The last seed can win it all if luck goes his side. It not very often the 1st 2nd 3rd place in standings end up being the final standings.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, the1gq2nvy said:

I don't agree. During playoffs and like in real life its anyones game once your made it in. The last seed can win it all if luck goes his side. It not very often the 1st 2nd 3rd place in standings end up being the final standings.

I get that but we dont have that luxury. In H2H your goal should be try to end the season in 1st place to get a bye week and to have an in theory easier playoff opponent. Also in H2H you draft well, you pick up key waiver wire players you should be rewarded. Everyone is fighting the same categories all year long with idk if the same amount of games played is exact but its like 1 or 2 whatever difference which is marginal. Season ends today, standings count in my book. If there was still like 3 weeks left for example then okay but theres literally 4 days left which means 99.5% of the regular season was already played.

Edited by Johnnyapplebot

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, the1gq2nvy said:

Everyone's not gonna be happy no matter what. 

If they just give every one their money back, Yahoo won't be happy if they have to pay back everyone and basically run the pro leagues for free.  Playoff teams 4-6 won't be happy because they had a chance to win money taken from them.  1-3 will be furious. 

If they pay out 1-3, teams 7-12 will complain even though they have no reason to (unless you're a 7 or 8 that could've won big this week and gotten into the playoffs) just to try to get their money back.  4-6 are the big losers here: their chance is AGAIN taken from them.  But 1 is happy, 2 is probably happy and 3 is like...maybe a little content?  And yahoo is as happy as they were normally.

Is there even another option?

Edited by Tom Chambers

1 minute ago, Tom Chambers said:

Everyone's not gonna be happy no matter what. 

If they just give every one their money back, Yahoo won't be happy if they have to pay back everyone and basically run the pro leagues for free.  Playoff teams 4-6 won't be happy because they had a chance to win money taken from them. 

If they pay out 1-3, teams 7-12 will complain even though they have no reason to (unless you're a 7 or 8 that could've won big this week and gotten into the playoffs) just to try to get their money back.  4-6 are the big losers here: their chance is AGAIN taken from them.  But 1 is happy, 2 is probably happy and 3 is like...maybe a little content?  And yahoo is as happy as they were normally.

Is there even another option?

I think the best likely course is the NBA in real life does not cut the regular season short. Makes no sense to go straight to playoffs when seeding is not decided. They should just drag this out to however long it takes...finish the season as usual. Then for 2020 the league and owners decide how many games should be cut to make up the schedule...whether its 40, 50 games and start fresh from there. I highly doubt the NBA will just cancel this season outright. All the time and effort would of been a waste if they decide to do that. Also makes no sense..at some point things will get back to normal and NBA will start up again.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's a good option imo.  As far as fantasy goes, though, if they DON'T do that, it's either pay everyone back their money, which will piss people off and cost yahoo money, or pay out as if the season ended, which will piss people off as well, but yahoo will get their money.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, the1gq2nvy said:

I think the best likely course is the NBA in real life does not cut the regular season short. Makes no sense to go straight to playoffs when seeding is not decided. They should just drag this out to however long it takes...finish the season as usual. Then for 2020 the league and owners decide how many games should be cut to make up the schedule...whether its 40, 50 games and start fresh from there. I highly doubt the NBA will just cancel this season outright. All the time and effort would of been a waste if they decide to do that. Also makes no sense..at some point things will get back to normal and NBA will start up again.

Well best case scenario is the regular season resumes April 12th since Adam Silver told NBA teams expect a minimum of a 30 day suspension as the best case news.

Posted (edited)

I know very few teams would be down, but I wanna skip the redraft next year and for this one time, roll over our rosters. I have unfinished business and it's bullshit that my masterfully assembled team isn't going to get a chance to close the deal, only to now have to get broken up 

Edited by Dominator83

After gathering information, I’ve come to the conclusion that one of 2 things happen.......

1.Season resumes by April 15 as scheduled.. everything will remain the same, only pushed back one month. In turn, Summer League gets cancelled, as the finals will last well into July.

2.Same as scenario 1, only instead of cancelling Summer League, the following season will be shortened due to time constraints. The 2020-2021 season will start in November instead of October and we lose about 10-15 games. 

I prefer option 1, but these scenarios seem like they would leave mostly everyone happy.  

27 minutes ago, HairyShoes said:

After gathering information, I’ve come to the conclusion that one of 2 things happen.......

1.Season resumes by April 15 as scheduled.. everything will remain the same, only pushed back one month. In turn, Summer League gets cancelled, as the finals will last well into July.

2.Same as scenario 1, only instead of cancelling Summer League, the following season will be shortened due to time constraints. The 2020-2021 season will start in November instead of October and we lose about 10-15 games. 

I prefer option 1, but these scenarios seem like they would leave mostly everyone happy.  

Problem with your conclusions is that the League is not scheduled to resume April 15th. April 15th is a date at which the league is going to reevaluate based on what the conditions(status of Corona)will be on that said date. I would just assume we won’t see basketball until possibly June. 

On 3/11/2020 at 10:12 PM, terminator10 said:

Okay max there are 100 people working directly with each team (that is a MAJOR overestimation IMO), get them all tested, quarantine affected, and resume. Dude there are hundreds of companies with affected employees. They don't shut the entire company down when 1 person is found affected lmao. Okay so what if there are so many people working with each team, what do you think happens if 1 employee is found infected within some other company? Its shut down game over? LOL 

Apologize for revisiting an old post. 

The fact that we could call something posted one week ago old just show how much have been changed in a week. Hopefully your view toward this pandemic have changed as well.

But to give you an answer from the best person that could answer your question (maybe better word is statement instead of question), Adam Silver:

Silver said he estimates the NBA employs as many as 55,000 people -- including game-day workers at the 29 NBA arenas across the league”...

You can do the math. Your 100 max people per team is way off base. And if 55,000 is directly involve, imagine what the number could be if it is a 1-1 spread? 1-2 spread? 1-3 spread...

Anyway, want to drop this off, interesting read if you guys get the time:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28923583/adam-silver-lays-conditions-nba-return-mulls-charity-game-diversion

• Like 1

On 3/12/2020 at 12:45 PM, young_styler said:

The problem with this (in roto leagues) is that in some leagues, some teams who are in 1st are just there because the owners have nearly maxed out all of their games played. I'm in 1 league where a guy has played 100 more games than me and I'm in 2nd place. That's bs to dedicated owners like us who have carefully paid attention to games played and worked diligently all season through trades/waiver wire, only to lose to someone who mindlessly starts every player every game. There's no easy solution imo. Sucks.

Use NBA average game played (from all 30 teams) to calculate for the result.It is 64.7 game into the season.That means in every standard league,647 is the average game played for every team.Teams that are not active or behind the average more than 100 games,won't be count as a winner.