TheChamp

Guesses on happens if the season does continue?

Like tom chambers said, yahoo WILL be getting paid, as they should, so I'd say the chances of 100% refunds are near 0%. 

And just like yahoo, why would the nba deny itself of 100s of millions of ads viewed during season games, even if theres no one in the stands. Any clue how much $$ the nba makes off tv advertising?? A lotttttt! I don't know how much but I'd imagine it's in the hundreds of millions, probably billions. They're not gonna just toss that money in the trash, because at least in terms of finances and the nba being a business, better VERY VERY late than never. 

I could even see them going as fas as postponing the league until after nfl ends, and having basketball come after NFL for the future, til the next virus. Businesses want money, and if they can get it, they're gonna. 

There it is. June 1st or before. According to Mark Cuban. 

He is setting the over/under line there. Wish he is taking actions, I’d bet a fair amount on the over. Of course if POTUS opens businesses back up 4/12 then Cuban might be right. With/without a cure or vaccine. 

We pick up where we left off and I have a better chance of winning the championship since picking up oubre and isaac and inserting KAT

The NBA will need roughly 80 days to complete the season if/when play resumes, according to John Hollinger of The Athletic.

In order to get things back up and running, the players will need at minimum a two-week training camp to get back into shape, a "regular-season" period to get guys back into a rhythm (which would be another two weeks), possibly a play-in tournament (3-5 days) and from the playoffs to the Finals would take roughly 45 days. As of right now, it would seem the latest possible end date of this season would come on Labor Day (Monday, September 7), which means things would need to start back up by June 1. There's still a ton of uncertainty here, but this gives you a general outline of a potential timeline.

Olympics and EURO 2020 have been postponed. Considering how fast virus is spreading in the US, NBA is presented with difficult choice:  be responsible and cancel ROS or chase $$$ and resume season at some point.

Personally I would prefer ROS being cancelled.  At this point people's health and safety are the most important thing

• Like 2

Once the players all become healthy and non-contagious, there's no reason they can't continue the season and play in empty arenas (like the original plan). The number of playoff games will be maximized and the regular season will be severely truncated. 

A group of us here run an auction draft, playoff-only league and I'm looking forward to doing that again. 

@superjew @Code of Hammurabi @Ajax @v1n5anity @Pirate @RedDogNamedClippers

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kaboom said:

Once the players all become healthy and non-contagious, there's no reason they can't continue the season and play in empty arenas (like the original plan). The number of playoff games will be maximized and the regular season will be severely truncated.

spacer.png

This is the problem--what if one of the players gets COVID and all teams are in the same city (Las Vegas has been floated as an idea)? Would they have to re-shut-down the league for another 2 weeks? Keep going without the infected player?

What a clusterf***.

It's a tough situation, as any relation to the 2019-2020 season as we know it is pretty much gone. Any momentum built is squashed. Injuries have had time to heal. Fatigue should be non-existent. Most everything that shaped the season and it's standings is null. Players who typically wear down during the season will be fresh as ever. A big part of the playoffs is the grind it takes to get there. No one is playing at 100% health by time the playoffs come, and that's what separates the men from the boys. The players that push through and still give you 110% somehow; the teams that put it all together at the end of the season and bring that momentum into a playoff run. We won't have things like that. Any attachment to the real 2019-2020 season is gone. And as much as people need entertainment at this point, it doesn't seem worth the risk to run a shell of a season out there. Even if they run games without audiences, there's still a lot of work that goes into running a stadium for game time. And it wouldn't be just NBA players that are at potential risk for infection, All of the stadium workers who have to be present for the game are also at risk. Which means those workers families would be at risk still, ect. If COVID19 forecasts are correct (which I am not a professional and have zero firsthand knowledge of) then the risks presented by continuing the season in a time frame that would make any sense just aren't worth it for the entertainment.

Posted (edited)

Just cancel the NBA and NHL seasons and the Champions League. Give the Premier League title to Liverpool. Give the title to whoever’s in first place in all the other European club leagues.

North America will survive without “crowining a champion”.

Edited by My Dinner With Andre

Posted (edited)

I hope you are right, but I am pessimistic.
Also not a perfect science, but since  I have all this extra time  I looked at this number:  (population of the country)  / (number of confirmed corona cases).  It gives me comparable number regardless of population size.

In China for example,  it is 1   reported corona case per 17,475 people. If you take this number with grain of salt, you can still look at other countries (random sample).  US is currently at 2,4800 which is better than most of Europe.  US is also worse than Canada, Japan and South Korea. And all the countries I mentioned have way tougher restrictions than USA.  And if Trump eases those restrictions things will get much worse.

China -  17,475
US - 2,480
Japan - 74,932
Germany - 1,376
France - 1,709
Italy - 619
Spain - 593
UK - 3,415
Canada - 6,355
South Korea - 5,345

Https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_population_(United_Nations
https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html)