meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

8 minutes ago, countseth said:

Haha, yeah, Florida doin Florida thangs.

I agree that MLB should have an easier time getting back and running than most other industries.

Regarding the location issue, I guess they could all play in AZ, I just don't know how many parks are all clustered there.  I guess they only need 15, right? So maybe that's feasible.  Does away with the need to dissolve divisions and leagues for the year, and for playoff teams to travel between regular season and playoffs.

Even if they all played in AZ, i dont think a limited amount of stadiums would be an issue. Could have 2 games per stadium per day. One starts at 11am-12pm. The other starts at 7pm-8pm. If necessary, places can be sanitized down between games.

• Like 1

Army corps of engineers can build the new stadiums when they are done building hospitals.

• Haha 1

Now the government shutdown is to April 30 , it will probably be extended to June 1 so if they have a 3 week ST that puts them into the 3rd week of June at best to start. Not looking good

Another thing we didn’t mention is staggering games, so there’s viewing all day. Start games at like 10am and have 3-4 games every 3 hours. 

If you did that, MLB could even make the case that restarting the season would constitute “essential business” because it could assist with public health: if there’s free baseball on all day, every day, millions of Americans will find it much more tolerable to stay inside rather than be itching to get out.

It’s a public health measure!

• Thanks 1

I'm still calling a 4th of July opening day and an 80(or so) game schedule - July, August, September regular season, October playoffs.

Games will be played in home ball parks across the country and in Toronto.  Might have some social distancing built in - selling every second row, every second seat sorta deal so only a quarter of capacity at games. 

• Like 1

1. Both Florida AND Arizona are going to be hard hit.  More numbers in Florida of course but the stuff is spreading like anything in Arizona as well.

2. MLB REAL games played in spring training parks is a joke.  An ace pitcher will end up with an ERA close to 6.0.  It will make the last year's London Yanks-Sox series look like a pitchers duel.

I was channel surfing tonight and Fox Sports was showing a "live" football game on.  For real.  It was a video game.  Michael Vick vs some Seahawks guy playing Madden Football.  The Seahawks guy was massacring Vick's Ravens until the connections went down no doubt from Vick's end. 

It was weird.  We had multiple camera angles, replays etc.  I know there are real video game tournaments on TV but to see Madden Football on Fox Sports was too funny.

I don't know if there is any baseball game up to Madden Football standards but I could see this season being played on the MLB Network / Fox Sports / ESPN featuring live video action of the Yankees vs the Red Sox being played on home couches by Derek Jeter and David Ortiz.  Or how about an inter-league match-up featuring Cal Ripkin's O's vs Chipper Jones' Braves?  And current players sidelined now could do it too.  Like how about David Price could go up against ... oh never mind.  He is too busy playing fortnite to bother with a baseball video game.

My reactions to this video season would probably go along something like this:

😁😝🙃🤔🤥😪🤢

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

1. Both Florida AND Arizona are going to be hard hit.  More numbers in Florida of course but the stuff is spreading like anything in Arizona as well.

2. MLB REAL games played in spring training parks is a joke.  An ace pitcher will end up with an ERA close to 6.0.  It will make the last year's London Yanks-Sox series look like a pitchers duel.

I was channel surfing tonight and Fox Sports was showing a "live" football game on.  For real.  It was a video game.  Michael Vick vs some Seahawks guy playing Madden Football.  The Seahawks guy was massacring Vick's Ravens until the connections went down no doubt from Vick's end. 

It was weird.  We had multiple camera angles, replays etc.  I know there are real video game tournaments on TV but to see Madden Football on Fox Sports was too funny.

I don't know if there is any baseball game up to Madden Football standards but I could see this season being played on the MLB Network / Fox Sports / ESPN featuring live video action of the Yankees vs the Red Sox being played on home couches by Derek Jeter and David Ortiz.  Or how about an inter-league match-up featuring Cal Ripkin's O's vs Chipper Jones' Braves?  And current players sidelined now could do it too.  Like how about David Price could go up against ... oh never mind.  He is too busy playing fortnite to bother with a baseball video game.

My reactions to this video season would probably go along something like this:

😁😝🙃🤔🤥😪🤢

Somebody already did this for opening day.  I couldn't bring myself to watch it.  Im not to the point yet where im watching someone else play video games.  Hope i don't get there

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Doesn’t bode too well for baseball

Seems like just VA at this point to June 10th, and Northam offered the caveat that he could amend or rescind it.

It's probably smart on his part to be leading the charge in terms of aggressive measures.  That said, could change.

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Doesn’t bode too well for baseball

In response...

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

Somebody already did this for opening day.  I couldn't bring myself to watch it.  Im not to the point yet where im watching someone else play video games.  Hope i don't get there

I will never get to this point. Ever. I have better things to do like play with my kids more or work on projects that have been put off for a long time.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

In response...

The one time i hope Fauci is right..

42 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/wtmj.com/national/2020/03/30/as-mlb-ponders-post-virus-season-players-worry-about-health/amp/

It sounds like, based on these interviews, players and owners are still anticipating some sort of season, for whatever that is worth.

Actually sounds encouraging:  “It goes without saying that, as players, we want to play as many games (as possible), not only because we love playing, but also we want to make as much money as possible. That’s the God’s honest truth about it,” he said. “And the same goes with ownership and all of that. So everybody wants to make money.”

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, El_Chingon said:

Actually sounds encouraging:  “It goes without saying that, as players, we want to play as many games (as possible), not only because we love playing, but also we want to make as much money as possible. That’s the God’s honest truth about it,” he said. “And the same goes with ownership and all of that. So everybody wants to make money.”

Of course the caveat applies these guys aren't medical professionals or legislators or anything.

But yeah, those quotes don't make it sound like the idea of not having a season is the prevalent topic of conversation.

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

In response...

Fauci also said today they he pretty much expects a second wave of the virus to start up early this fall.

He’s saying a lot of things.  The 100-200k deaths doesn’t jive with the April 30th date of being enough 

As a nation, we are as of today over 3,000 deaths. If Fauci is right (I don’t think he is) and we have 100-200k deaths, we ain’t having a season.

6 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

As a nation, we are as of today over 3,000 deaths. If Fauci is right (I don’t think he is) and we have 100-200k deaths, we ain’t having a season.

We have to see if we can significantly descalate transmission numbers here in the next month.

If that's so, then we can reevaluate what makes sense.

• Like 1

Watch the news if you dare...it’s sad. And to think baseball? No effing way. NY can’t even get a McDonald’s up and rolling but we want the Yankees.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, charger_ss24 said:

April will be the key month. A LONG month.

For baseball to happen at some point this summer, I think we need to see the following happen by the end of April:

1. Testing needs to get out ahead and stay out ahead of demand. Where I live and I assume most places around the country, there is still a shortage of test kits. People are still being turned away wanting to be tested because they aren’t deemed serious enough due to the shortage of test kits. Those that are actually tested still have to wait several days to get results. With the FDA approval of the 15 minute test, I am optimistic that we can get out ahead of this, but it will take time.

2. Social distancing efforts will need to have flattened the curve and we will have passed our peak in this country. New cases per day will need to be shrinking consistently by the end of April. There will still be outbreaks in some areas, but they will need to be better controlled.

3. There will need to be significant advances in treating COVID-19. I’ve lost track of all the drugs or treatments that have shown promise, but we need to have seen results in controlled trials. Results should be coming as early as the 1st or 2nd week of April for some drugs and will continue to roll in throughout the month. I remain optimistic that with seemingly the entire world racing to find a treatment we will see some breakthroughs here.

If we can see successes in these areas, most importantly lives will be saved, but I also think we’ll see baseball (early July is still my guess). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, meh2 said:

For baseball to happen at some point this summer, I think we need to see the following happen by the end of April:

1. Testing needs to get out ahead and stay out ahead of demand. Where I live and I assume most places around the country, there is still a shortage of test kits. People are still being turned away wanting to be tested because they aren’t deemed serious enough due to the shortage of test kits. Those that are actually tested still have to wait several days to get results. With the FDA approval of the 15 minute test, I am optimistic that we can get out ahead of this, but it will take time.

2. Social distancing efforts will need to have flattened the curve and we will have passed our peak in this country. New cases per day will need to be shrinking consistently by the end of April. There will still be outbreaks in some areas, but they will need to be better controlled.

3. There will need to be significant advances in treating COVID-19. I’ve lost track of all the drugs or treatments that have shown promise, but we need to have seen results in controlled trials. Results should be coming as early as the 1st or 2nd week of April for some drugs and will continue to roll in throughout the month. I remain optimistic that with seemingly the entire world racing to find a treatment we will see some breakthroughs here.

If we can see successes in these areas, most importantly lives will be saved, but I also think we’ll see baseball (early July is still my guess). 

I enjoyed the rosey outlook. At what point does the players union step in (let’s say July is a start point) and say it’s not worth it. I get the money on the table, financial losses etc. But rushing to get in 80 games does not seem good for anyone other than fans. Players will scream they don’t want to risk injury for 2021 etc. That doesn’t even address a second surge w the virus come late summer/fall. Hate to be a Debbie downer, but I just don’t see it....

15 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

I enjoyed the rosey outlook. At what point does the players union step in (let’s say July is a start point) and say it’s not worth it. I get the money on the table, financial losses etc. But rushing to get in 80 games does not seem good for anyone other than fans. Players will scream they don’t want to risk injury for 2021 etc. That doesn’t even address a second surge w the virus come late summer/fall. Hate to be a Debbie downer, but I just don’t see it....

The players said they want the $.  So assuming the virus is back under control and the schedule can mitigate the risk of injury, they will play.  Two big "ifs" and not holding my breath. 

18 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

If you think I have a “rosey outlook” on this virus, I hate to disappoint you but you’re quite wrong. I’m well aware of the significance of this virus and have been for months now.

• Thanks 1