meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

5 minutes ago, Corey In Da House said:

Everybody Wants Some!! is a great baseball subplot movie from director Richard Linklater. (Dazed and Confused). Doesn't seem like many people have seen it or talk about it. 

I do have that movie but I'm not sure I've watched it.  If I did it was just in the background and I didn't pay enough attention.  I have heard it compared to Dazed and Confused a lot, which is one of my top favorites all-time.  I'll have to add it to the queue thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBrown said:

I need to get the baseball movies lined up.  I hate this.  Think I'll start with Major League or maybe Rookie of the Year.

I still say Rhubarb!  Orangey the cat actor received a nomination for best animal actor of the year for his performance as Rhubarb, the owner of the Brooklyn Loons.  How many other baseball films feature a nomination for the animal equivalent of the Oscar I ask you.   😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MrBrown said:

I need to get the baseball movies lined up.  I hate this.  Think I'll start with Major League or maybe Rookie of the Year.

spacer.png

• Haha 1

Anyone got recommended streaming services for these movies?

4 hours ago, Corey In Da House said:

Everybody Wants Some!! is a great baseball subplot movie from director Richard Linklater. (Dazed and Confused). Doesn't seem like many people have seen it or talk about it. 

And here I just thought it was a kicka$$ jam by Van Halen.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Corey In Da House said:

agree! Great call

spacer.png

Edited by Members_Only_76

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

American Movie Channel (AMC) is showing Major League right now (8 pm Thursday) in the east.

I am watching it... Lou pissing on Roger’s contract about calisthenics... lol 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Trouble with the Curve ....  

I never watched that one but I do have it.  I do always forget about For Love of the Game..that one's pretty good too.

6 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Trouble with the Curve ....  

Man i hated that movie.  I just remember sitting there the one time i watched thinking "whoever made this never played ball ever."  Maybe i ws just in a crap mood that day lol,  I'll have to give it another shot

Trump telling the major sports leagues fans ought to be allowed to return in September or August. I think MLB in 2020 is not going to happen

42 minutes ago, AngryBeavers said:

Trump telling the major sports leagues fans ought to be allowed to return in September or August. I think MLB in 2020 is not going to happen

I do. Just not with fans, atleast initially.

14 hours ago, AngryBeavers said:

That'd be great. I'm hopeful for that so football season is not lost.  I'm not expecting any baseball this year and I'm wondering at what point do they just announce the seasons canceled.

On 3/29/2020 at 6:26 PM, countseth said:

Ok, fellas, buckle up. I’ve solved the thing. Send this to Señor Manfred:

1) Do away with divisions. Season is already weird and playoffs are gonna be weird so why maintain arbitrary divisions? There’s a reason to do away with them...

2) ...So teams go to spring training facilities for all games! All the infrastructure is in place: ballpark, team accommodations, TV, etc. 

3) This means you do 16 teams in FL and 14 teams in AZ so there’s an even amount of teams so you can play every day. This is an “East Coast”/“West Coast” split so the divisions, and even the leagues, can be tossed out the window. If DH is a problem, just allow it for all games or decide on a home-team basis or flip a coin or something. That shouldn’t be a hang up considering all the other, more serious obstacles I’m overcoming here 😎

4) Travel by multiple busses (no airports, etc). Stay in private places while in town. Use first several rows of stands for players instead of dugouts. Spread out. No fans, obviously, so there’s room to keep 6 ft apart. 

5) Temp checks 30 min before first pitch (upgraded to actual tests if they become widely available).

6) Strict curfew/isolation during “season” to ensure no one picks up virus. This would only last about 3 months for the season anyway. 

7) Expanded Playoffs. I’d suggest 16 teams total, with an initial 3 game series, followed by a 5 game series, followed by 7 game series and a WS of 7 games. Play the playoff games at either FL location or AZ location. 

8. Everyone benefits from this. And I mean everyone: fans get games, players get paid and the pleasure of playing, teams make money, networks make money, teams share some revenue with stadium workers who weren’t able to work this season, film crews make money. The general population gets less stir-crazy at home because they can watch baseball. Heck, Congress could prob nationalize the product and help enforce the rules...

Ok, one week ago, I posted the text above as part of a larger post proposing how MLB might play a season. 

Now look who’s publicly considering exactly what I’d proposed:

PLAYER
rob_manfred.jpg

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that Major League Baseball is considering opening the season in empty spring training parks -- with no fans and all players quarantined.

The plan would have all teams stationed in one centralized location -- likely Arizona. Rosenthal notes, "The logistics of quarantining 30 teams in one area would be extremely complex and potentially controversial... requiring local, state and federal government cooperation and resources that might be necessary to fight the coronavirus pandemic." The major logistical concern though, "To play under quarantine, the sport would need to protect the health not only of players and other club personnel, but also umpires and those producing the television broadcasts, plus hotel workers, bus drivers and anyone else involved with the players and games". It's encouraging to hear that MLB is exploring all possible options to begin the season as soon as possible and to fit in as many games as possible during the 2020 season.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, countseth said:

Ok, one week ago, I posted the text above as part of a larger post proposing how MLB might play a season. 

Now look who’s publicly considering exactly what I’d proposed:

PLAYER
rob_manfred.jpg

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reports that Major League Baseball is considering opening the season in empty spring training parks -- with no fans and all players quarantined.

The plan would have all teams stationed in one centralized location -- likely Arizona. Rosenthal notes, "The logistics of quarantining 30 teams in one area would be extremely complex and potentially controversial... requiring local, state and federal government cooperation and resources that might be necessary to fight the coronavirus pandemic." The major logistical concern though, "To play under quarantine, the sport would need to protect the health not only of players and other club personnel, but also umpires and those producing the television broadcasts, plus hotel workers, bus drivers and anyone else involved with the players and games". It's encouraging to hear that MLB is exploring all possible options to begin the season as soon as possible and to fit in as many games as possible during the 2020 season.

Yeah. I think a lot of us have realized its the only realistic way its going to happen. I still believe we will see it at some point in May, giving the MLB enough time to address any logistical issues they may face, while also allowing the many companies now working together to produce medical supplies to ensure there are no shortages for first responders (which is the biggest obstacle)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jonninho said:

Yeah. I think a lot of us have realized its the only realistic way its going to happen. I still believe we will see it at some point in May, giving the MLB enough time to address any logistical issues they may face, while also allowing the many companies now working together to produce medical supplies to ensure there are no shortages for first responders (which is the biggest obstacle)

We won’t see baseball in May.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

agreed. The idea is so delusional it’s a waste of pixels at this point....

Edited by tucker26
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Judging by context, it appears to me OP was suggesting "it" means a plan moving forward, not games themselves.

We aren't seeing anything sports related until July 1st at minimum, and honestly the idea of spring training parks with no fans makes me kind of just want to wait until 2021 for baseball, go to the Winchester for a pint and wait for this all to blow over.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Br0kenB said:

We aren't seeing anything sports related until July 1st at minimum, and honestly the idea of spring training parks with no fans makes me kind of just want to wait until 2021 for baseball, go to the Winchester for a pint and wait for this all to blow over.

I am highly doubtful the 'empty stadium' idea happens at all if COVID-19 is still an issue anywhere in North America. Flying all of the players to the quarantined location in the first place will be a massive logistical nightmare given how high-risk airports are, not even considering playing the games, having the players all stuck in one place for an extended period and the countless other moving parts involved. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jyeatbvg said:

I am highly doubtful the 'empty stadium' idea happens at all if COVID-19 is still an issue anywhere in North America. Flying all of the players to the quarantined location in the first place will be a massive logistical nightmare given how high-risk airports are, not even considering playing the games, having the players all stuck in one place for an extended period and the countless other moving parts involved. 

Ah, you didn’t read my post. My plan specifically calls for taking multiple team busses so that airports are avoided and players can maintain social distancing. The rich players can prob travel on their own. 

7 minutes ago, countseth said:

Ah, you didn’t read my post. My plan specifically calls for taking multiple team busses so that airports are avoided and players can maintain social distancing. The rich players can prob travel on their own. 

Team buses from where?  These players are currently at their homes scattered all over the US and foreign countries like the DR, Japan, etc right now.  You sending some bus out to pick up players all over the country one by one?

• Like 1