meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

15 minutes ago, jonninho said:

The whole MLB in Arizona (to start anyways) really seems to be picking up some steam.. ofcourse, there is still a **** ton of work to do and many many many hurdles to clear, but, they are certainly looking at getting this up and running in May according to Passan and other sources.

Passan article.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29004498/mlb-union-focused-plan-allow-season-start-early-arizona

Sounds promising.

• Thanks 3

So what happens when a player gets injured?  It sounds like they're just looking to throw a biscuit to ESPN and sports writers so they have something to do right now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cs3 said:

Ok let's say somehow they don't need minor leaguers.

Have you ever been to Arizona in the middle of summer? Did you go outside? Spring training parks are not air conditioned

Dude.  Been there once, on a stopover.  It was 118° at 3am. I don't know how you guys do it

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 89Topps said:

Sounds like they are motivated to recoup some of the money they are going to lose.

Sounds like a lot of hurdles to clear, some of which have been addressed in this thread.  Guess we'll see if they can pull it off.

Where there's a will and access to private islands, there's a way.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

Do they have  MLB ready baseball fields on private Islands?

4 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

image.jpeg.f43bfb3b6a13ac6913b0a658384fcff0.jpeg

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, azeri98 said:

What if a percentage of players don't want to play due to unsafe working conditions, then what?

More importantly,  what if some star players decide to sit it out until there is a vaccine and they deem it safe to return.

• Like 2

I've read that they're considering expanding opening day rosters to 29 or 30 for the first month. Who does that affect the most in terms of making opening day rosters? I'd assume mostly relievers, but I could also see a lot of six man rotations to begin the year if spring training 2 is shortened. I'm trying to figure out if this increases the odds of the Howard/Pearson/Gore/McKay type guys making the opening day roster. 

17 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

I've read that they're considering expanding opening day rosters to 29 or 30 for the first month. Who does that affect the most in terms of making opening day rosters? I'd assume mostly relievers, but I could also see a lot of six man rotations to begin the year if spring training 2 is shortened. I'm trying to figure out if this increases the odds of the Howard/Pearson/Gore/McKay type guys making the opening day roster. 

I think we're about a million lightyears away from figuring out the individual player impact of a potential baseball season at this point.

2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I think we're about a million lightyears away from figuring out the individual player impact of a potential baseball season at this point.

I'll take my odds guessing what a team will do with an extra few rosters spots, over figuring out when and where baseball will begin. 

• Like 1

Just now, mavsfan23 said:

I'll take my odds guessing what a team will do with an extra few rosters spots, over figuring out when and where baseball will begin. 

I'm just saying.

If there is baseball this year, rest assured it will be wild as all get out.

There could be a significant contingent of superstar players who are sitting on enough emergency cash that they say they would rather stay home than risk it.

From a fantasy prospective, imagine cutting your first three picks before games even start because they don't play type of thing.

10 hours ago, cs3 said:

Exactly.

That's why getting games on isn't a priority.

You're wrong. Sports are a priority and that call between Trump and the other Commishioners is now starting to look a whole lot like 'get sports back on ASAP'

7 hours ago, MrBrown said:

So what happens when a player gets injured?  It sounds like they're just looking to throw a biscuit to ESPN and sports writers so they have something to do right now.

Like i have said before, you're hands down the most negative person i have encountered in my life. This is great news filled with potential and hope and the only thing you can do... againnnnn.. is **** on it.. man, smile, be optimistic for once and hope this goes through and goes through properly.

Also, another poster made an interesting point.. have about 10 minor leaguers on stand by. He compared that to how the NFL has it set up. Keep them close to the team and in game shape, train with the team, and if needed, they are ready to go.

2 hours ago, GamblorLA said:

Love this!

1 hour ago, Blood Brother said:

sounds like wishful thinking to me. Very, very skeptical of them pulling this off and players being OK with this.

Well, if you have read the articles, they do state the plan has the approval of both the players union and high level federal health officials.

I strongly doubt the players union would approve this plan without discussing it with the players first, so, they are obviously for the idea.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, jonninho said:

You're wrong. Sports are a priority and that call between Trump and the other Commishioners is now starting to look a whole lot like 'get sports back on ASAP'

Like i have said before, you're hands down the most negative person i have encountered in my life. This is great news filled with potential and hope and the only thing you can do... againnnnn.. is **** on it.. man, smile, be optimistic for once and hope this goes through and goes through properly.

Also, another poster made an interesting point.. have about 10 minor leaguers on stand by. He compared that to how the NFL has it set up. Keep them close to the team and in game shape, train with the team, and if needed, they are ready to go.

Love this!

Well, if you have read the articles, they do state the plan has the approval of both the players union and high level federal health officials.

I strongly doubt the players union would approve this plan without discussing it with the players first, so, they are obviously for the idea.

Some of us are a bit more pessimistic than you are, that much is clear. Personally I'd prefer to play the "not expect baseball, but be pleasantly surprised if we see it" approach than the opposite approach. Trump has proven time and time again that he has no grasp of this pandemic and isn't the best person to use as a bearing - I'd stay clear from heightening expectations due to anything he's done. 

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I'm just saying.

If there is baseball this year, rest assured it will be wild as all get out.

There could be a significant contingent of superstar players who are sitting on enough emergency cash that they say they would rather stay home than risk it.

From a fantasy prospective, imagine cutting your first three picks before games even start because they don't play type of thing.

MLB isn't going to do this willy nilly though. There's going to be a ton of safeguards in place, and I highly doubt that any significant amount of players don't show up when they resume. There may be one here and there, but the MLB isn't going to start this up without it being a safe option. In the scenario that @countseth outlined, it may be safer to be at a baseball facility than to be sneaking out for groceries/essentials once in a while. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

I am curious just as you are.. who would these changes for the 2020 season impact the most?

I initially built my roster full of relievers and a handful who carry the SP,RP designation.. so, if relievers arent going to be useful or have a very diminished role, i need to start dropping guys and finding replacement pitchers ASAP. lol.

My understanding of this plan is the season will start in Arizona, as in, the possibility remains that they finish in their respective cities, but, by that point, fantasy playoff contention may not even be realistic for myself so it wouldnt matter.

None of this provides answers to how minor league call-ups and roster transactions will work, which is a key component of the game. The Yankees will have like 10 injuries in the first two weeks, as usual. Where will the minor leaguers be stationed during the season? In confirmed quarantine? Way too many "what if's" for me to take this very seriously.

MLB players considering being away from their wives and toddlers for 4 1/2 months

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

As I posted earlier, they could use Florida facilities for minor league players (AAA and AA) and maintain similar restrictions and then the lower levels just work out as a team (or pair with a few others) in whatever location they can find just to keep the rust off. If teams are playing with expanded rosters then it's likely they'll be carrying a good amount of the AAAA/AAA guys in Arizona already so the need to call-up guys will be diminished.

I think it's important to understand that the landscape is going to be much different in June or July as compared to now. Even the more pessimistic models still show a substantial flattening of the curve by then, which was the purpose. The purpose of all this wasn't to hide forever until the virus is completely gone. People are still going to catch this thing over the next year or more but as long as there is a gradual release of these restrictions (and healthcare continues to reinforce with more facilities, equipment and ventilators) it will be more manageable and we won't have to completely destroy our economy and people's mental health in the process.

And I totally get that baseball isn't essential but it is a business and like any other businesses (essential or not), they need to rejoin the world in the next few months or suffer significant harm.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

More importantly,  what if some star players decide to sit it out until there is a vaccine and they deem it safe to return.

Lol it’s not a fatal disease for the vast majority of people. They’re hot going to pass up millions of dollars for a vaccine they don’t need. 

40 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

MLB players considering being away from their wives and toddlers for 4 1/2 months

spacer.png

Yeah in this age of FaceTime, like all of us they’d rather not play baseball for millions of dollars for 4 months and FaceTiming their family instead 😂😂.

i suspect that not seeing their family is going to play somewhere between 0 and 0.1% factors. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TedStriker said:

As I posted earlier, they could use Florida facilities for minor league players (AAA and AA) and maintain similar restrictions and then the lower levels just work out as a team (or pair with a few others) in whatever location they can find just to keep the rust off. If teams are playing with expanded rosters then it's likely they'll be carrying a good amount of the AAAA/AAA guys in Arizona already so the need to call-up guys will be diminished.

I think it's important to understand that the landscape is going to be much different in June or July as compared to now. Even the more pessimistic models still show a substantial flattening of the curve by then, which was the purpose. The purpose of all this wasn't to hide forever until the virus is completely gone. People are still going to catch this thing over the next year or more but as long as there is a gradual release of these restrictions (and healthcare continues to reinforce with more facilities, equipment and ventilators) it will be more manageable and we won't have to completely destroy our economy and people's mental health in the process.

And I totally get that baseball isn't essential but it is a business and like any other businesses (essential or not), they need to rejoin the world in the next few months or suffer significant harm.

Give this guy a medal for bringing some sense to this thread. I wish I could give you more likes.

33 minutes ago, TedStriker said:

Yeah, I think it's totally understandable that people (particularly folks in NYC, or with preexisting health conditions) feel they've been caught flatfooted by this thing and are scared.

I don't think if you make the individual choice that you want to practice social distancing until there's a vaccine is unreasonable at all.

However I also don't think you should be surprised or upset if others make different choices.

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

spacer.png

Passan did an interview which kind of made me laugh... the reporter had made mention of something similiar, that the idea of having players away from their families is absolutely crazy and that no one is going to agree to it.. which Passan stopped the reporter, agreed with him, before going on to say a player who had spoken to shared similiar thoughts.. the next morning.. that player texted him and stated his wife was ok with him going if it meant getting paid.. lol... gold digging putas.