meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

Posted (edited)

I love football but baseball is my favorite and I'm honestly sick of the NFL dominating the sporting landscape. The coverage of the NFL is out of control and even the smallest news (Tom Brady sold his house?!) in the NFL trumps all the other sports. Do we really need guys in suits (while wearing sneakers) talking about football 24/7 in June? And it annoys me that, by sheer luck, the NFL may suffer no ill effects from this virus by virtue of just having good timing. Not only that, it's getting even more coverage than usual because of free agency and the draft having zero competition. It just feels like the rich getting richer.

So, I would love to see baseball experience a resurgence and capitalize on this moment to increase its presence in the average American's life. It really is a great sport with a ton of young superstars and it should have a larger presence than it does. Unfortunately, to play baseball in 2020, there needs to some willingness to accept some risk (sorry people but there is no scenario with zero risk in this world now that thing is here). Based upon the current landscape of fear and extreme risk aversion, I don't know if MLB, the players, or Americans will have the stomach for it.

Edited by TedStriker
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Football is only #1 in America. It still has a ton of work to do on a global scale.

55 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Football is #1 

Yes. That’s why my previous post said this below. And don’t think for a second that it’s not always something front and center for the MLB  

“If baseball can capture the world’s attention on a world stage all by itself - that might just be the injection it needed to become America’s pastime once again.”

I want baseball to resume as much as anyone here , but I see a potentially difficult hurdle if families are allowed to be with their husbands while in Arizona: 

How are the families, mainly the kids, going to take to not being allowed to go anywhere for the duration? How are they going to address their needs? Kids being isolated for months at a time is asking a ton and might not be reasonable. I'm not trying to be negative here, just bringing to light a topic that I haven't seen discussed yet, and it may be something that may be important to the players with families, and we need to accept that it's not for us to decide, nor to judge them if some decide to sit this out to stay home with their families.

I've seen players with zero kids saying they'd do it, but I've also seen players with kids balking at the idea. (Shrugs), it's a personal call that none of us can judge. We, as a community are better than this, other times after disagreeing, we get to the point that we agree to disagree, why can't we do the same with this plan to potentially play in Arizona?, and let things play out as they will since we have no say as to what will or won't happen? Nor do we have all the answers, (even though some think they do, on both sides)

This, and the other covid thread have kind of stalled, going around in a circle....The bottom line is, we have no idea what will be in 3-4 weeks, much less tomorrow, so lets come together as a community and move forward, share what you will, but be respectful of each others opinion, we all have them, but just because some don't agree with yours, doesn't give anyone the right criticize them, and continue to say crap like, "How can you not see...yada yada yada"...  and simply agree to disagree...I realize that it's difficult to do here as it is in most aspects of life, but you know that if we, only speaking about Americans with this tid-but, but if we all shared the same opinion and ideals, we'd be great again..

So, what about the kids?

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, jonninho said:

I dont understand what is so hard for some of you guys to understand in relation to the whole 'coming in from hot spots' arguement.

All players and staff would be tested PRIOR to anything even happening... all contact with the outside world does not exist once there... IF... IFFFFFF everybody who shows up to AZ for the MLB season tests negative, given the restrictions and guidelines and of course the assumption that all follow it properly.. NO BODDYYYYYY should be capable of testing positive or spreading this disease around. 

Testing kits are being produced at a much higher rate at the moment, as well as new technologies involving rapid testing.. MLB has stated (along with other major leagues) that they will only return if testing is not being taken away from those who need it.. this is one of the reasons the German soccer league has begun training together again due to the test kits available.. it would be no different in North America.

1.  They would have to be tested BEFORE going on any airplane to fly to Arizona.  2. They would have to be tested a second time by Arizona officials then placed in mandatory quarantine all alone there for two week since if they caught the virus at either airport or on the plane it might not test positive until much later.  3.  Test kits are NOT flying out the door no matter what the administration keeps saying.  4.  The current tests are now showing they are anywhere from 1/3 to 47% (depending on the quick surveys being run so far) unreliable as in giving false negatives when the person actually IS infected.   And of course we have NO idea how accurate the newer tests being developed will be.

Also the German soccer leagues are being tested by a German-made kit and not the American ones that have been failing left and right.  The German-made ones were banned from being imported here because of politics and "made in the USA" stuff very early on.  So we don't know how reliable they would be compared to the poor ones here.

2 hours ago, squantos said:

If they can put a man on the moon, i'm sure they can figure how to play baseball safely

LOL!  We didn't do it when a pandemic was going on the whole time.

Also the development time for the space program started back in WWII with the development of German V-I and V-2 rudimentary but deadly rockets.  Our space program -- and the Russians -- came out of the work of those nazi scientists and we grabbed more of them at the end of the war.  By the time JFK announced putting a man on the moon by the end of the decade (not by May) we were already far along with the ground work.  Then there was like "the decade" it took after the ramp-up to meet that goal.  And that goal was in part set up out of fear that the Russians would beat us to the moon.  For some reason I feel no fear whatsoever that Putin will field 30 teams of baseball players before we will and win the "baseball race."

Also I want to add that one number NOT begin added to the calculation of service workers needed and thus must be quarantined in Bubbletown is the most obvious one.  Other than a few decent, straight arrow married guys most single and even the majority of married guys seek "service" of a different kind when on the road for a week or two max.  Can you imagine what will happen with up to 5 months isolation if those "service workers" weren't "provided" (and tested frequently too and housed as well) by MLB.  This would effectively make MLB the largest pimp in the world.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, FISH ON said:

I want baseball to resume as much as anyone here , but I see a potentially difficult hurdle if families are allowed to be with their husbands while in Arizona: 

How are the families, mainly the kids, going to take to not being allowed to go anywhere for the duration? How are they going to address their needs? Kids being isolated for months at a time is asking a ton and might not be reasonable. I'm not trying to be negative here, just bringing to light a topic that I haven't seen discussed yet, and it may be something that may be important to the players with families, and we need to accept that it's not for us to decide, nor to judge them if some decide to sit this out to stay home with their families.

I've seen players with zero kids saying they'd do it, but I've also seen players with kids balking at the idea. (Shrugs), it's a personal call that none of us can judge. We, as a community are better than this, other times after disagreeing, we get to the point that we agree to disagree, why can't we do the same with this plan to potentially play in Arizona?, and let things play out as they will since we have no say as to what will or won't happen? Nor do we have all the answers, (even though some think they do, on both sides)

This, and the other covid thread have kind of stalled, going around in a circle....The bottom line is, we have no idea what will be in 3-4 weeks, much less tomorrow, so lets come together as a community and move forward, share what you will, but be respectful of each others opinion, we all have them, but just because some don't agree with yours, doesn't give anyone the right criticize them, and continue to say crap like, "How can you not see...yada yada yada"...  and simply agree to disagree...I realize that it's difficult to do here as it is in most aspects of life, but you know that if we, only speaking about Americans with this tid-but, but if we all shared the same opinion and ideals, we'd be great again..

So, what about the kids?

For me, the family issue is a major obstacle (can I say obstacle?). Yes, these guys are away from home a lot during the season but they still get to go home. So 100% agree that it would be painful not being able to see the wife and kids for months. If a player says it's not worth it then I completely understand and it could be something that simple that de-rails this.

As far as the kids, I guess it depends on what kind of restrictions are in effect where the family normally lives during this time. Right now, the kids are stuck at home like everyone else so probably not a major change if they're stuck at home in Arizona somewhere. That is assuming the wife wants to pack up and go there in the first place. If the restrictions are lifted then maybe the wife and kids would be allowed to leave if they want.

I think this is the tricky part about all of this because we're trying to make assumptions based upon our current situation and project out into the future where we don't know what things will be like. MLB will have to model out all of these different scenarios and have plans in place prior to all of this possibly starting so that they can adapt and have flexibility once they reach certain gateways.

Agree on all your other points. It's easy to become adversarial on forums and it's probably a result of frustration more than anything.

49 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

1.  They would have to be tested BEFORE going on any airplane to fly to Arizona.  2. They would have to be tested a second time by Arizona officials then placed in mandatory quarantine all alone there for two week since if they caught the virus at either airport or on the plane it might not test positive until much later.  3.  Test kits are NOT flying out the door no matter what the administration keeps saying.  4.  The current tests are now showing they are anywhere from 1/3 to 47% (depending on the quick surveys being run so far) unreliable as in giving false negatives when the person actually IS infected.   And of course we have NO idea how accurate the newer tests being developed will be.

Also the German soccer leagues are being tested by a German-made kit and not the American ones that have been failing left and right.  The German-made ones were banned from being imported here because of politics and "made in the USA" stuff very early on.  So we don't know how reliable they would be compared to the poor ones here.

I get all you are saying.. but.. is it that hard? To have them tested prior to leaving for AZ? tested upon arrival? quarantined for 14 days? I mean, wouldnt you do it for millions of dollars? Maybe i am in the minority here, but, i would do it. 

Beyond that, youre right, the lack of testing does still pose a problem, but, none of this would be happening untill those concerns have been taken care of, both from the amount of tests available and also their reliance.

These talks are simply that.. talks.. and they only turn to action if some of the issues discussed are resolved, but, untill then, there is no issue with them formulating a plan in case things do work out and they are ready to go as opposed to sitting on their a** all this time doing nothing and being left to rush once approval is given which would only delay things further.

I am happy with the MLB discussing options and doing their best to get the game back on the field.

Also, on a side note.. wtf is with USA not accepting German kits if they have been deemed superior. *shrugs*

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jonninho said:

I get all you are saying.. but.. is it that hard? To have them tested prior to leaving for AZ? tested upon arrival? quarantined for 14 days? I mean, wouldnt you do it for millions of dollars? Maybe i am in the minority here, but, i would do it. 

Beyond that, youre right, the lack of testing does still pose a problem, but, none of this would be happening untill those concerns have been taken care of, both from the amount of tests available and also their reliance.

These talks are simply that.. talks.. and they only turn to action if some of the issues discussed are resolved, but, untill then, there is no issue with them formulating a plan in case things do work out and they are ready to go as opposed to sitting on their a** all this time doing nothing and being left to rush once approval is given which would only delay things further.

I am happy with the MLB discussing options and doing their best to get the game back on the field.

Also, on a side note.. wtf is with USA not accepting German kits if they have been deemed superior. *shrugs*

I think we can all agree on the bolded.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, TedStriker said:

I love football but baseball is my favorite and I'm honestly sick of the NFL dominating the sporting landscape. The coverage of the NFL is out of control and even the smallest news (Tom Brady sold his house?!) in the NFL trumps all the other sports. Do we really need guys in suits (while wearing sneakers) talking about football 24/7 in June? And it annoys me that, by sheer luck, the NFL may suffer no ill effects from this virus by virtue of just having good timing. Not only that, it's getting even more coverage than usual because of free agency and the draft having zero competition. It just feels like the rich getting richer.

So, I would love to see baseball experience a resurgence and capitalize on this moment to increase its presence in the average American's life. It really is a great sport with a ton of young superstars and it should have a larger presence than it does. Unfortunately, to play baseball in 2020, there needs to some willingness to accept some risk (sorry people but there is no scenario with zero risk in this world now that thing is here). Based upon the current landscape of fear and extreme risk aversion, I don't know if MLB, the players, or Americans will have the stomach for it.

You're pretty on the ball considering your drinking problem.

I agree that some bubble plan where nobody is affected by the virus in any way is optimistic.  And that seems to be our mentality as a culture at the moment, not just with respect to this, but in general.  Maybe a world where nobody lets their kids ride bikes to school is just too MUBSy or too willing to sacrifice the good in pursuit of the perfect or .whatever you like.

If... IF... things are semi-OK in 2 months I think they can make baseball safer than many other activities that people will be engaged in. More testing, fewer infected, better sanitation and distancing procedures than the world at large.  But hardly risk free.  Many, possibly most will catch it eventually and I doubt it cares if you play baseball. 

A bunch of people chose to drive instead of fly after 9/11 even though it was riskier to drive on paper and some of them died as a result.  But it's not really a story that sticks in our minds because we don't know exactly who died  and it wasn't a single event with a bad actor and so on.  Might be something similar here where, if we tried a season and a few players got really sick and maybe even died, people would fly off the handle.  But if we cancelled the season and even more players had bad results just going about their lives, we'd have nobody to blame and it would just sort of seem like an inevitable part of life. We can only choose one option and so we'll never be able to compare anyway. 

If things are the same or worse in 2 months, from what I can tell, we will be in the midst of a complete catastrophe and I don't know that anybody expects they'd be able to create this little baseball world that is unaffected.   

Edited by GamblorLA
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

You're pretty on the ball considering your drinking problem.

I agree that some bubble plan where nobody is affected by the virus in any way is optimistic.  And that seems to be our mentality as a culture at the moment, not just with respect to this, but in general.  Maybe a world where nobody lets their kids ride bikes to school is just too MUBSy or too willing to sacrifice the good in pursuit of the perfect or .whatever you like.

If... IF... things are semi-OK in 2 months I think they can make baseball safer than many other activities that people will be engaged in. More testing, fewer infected, better sanitation and distancing procedures than the world at large.  But hardly risk free.  Many, possibly most will catch it eventually and I doubt it cares if you play baseball. 

A bunch of people chose to drive instead of fly after 9/11 even though it was riskier to drive on paper and some of them died as a result.  But it's not really a story that sticks in our minds because we don't know exactly who died  and it wasn't a single event with a bad actor and so on.  Might be something similar here where, if we tried a season and a few players got really sick and maybe even died, people would fly off the handle.  But if we cancelled the season and even more players had bad results just going about their lives, we'd have nobody to blame and it would just sort of seem like an inevitable part of life. We can only choose one option and so we'll never be able to compare anyway. 

If things are the same or worse in 2 months, from what I can tell, we will be in the midst of a complete catastrophe and I don't know that anybody expects they'd be able to create this little baseball world that is unaffected.   

I think you just exemplified the Unbearable Lightness of Being in a fantasy baseball forum.

This thread is amazing.  It's like being back in college.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Also I want to add that one number NOT begin added to the calculation of service workers needed and thus must be quarantined in Bubbletown is the most obvious one.  Other than a few decent, straight arrow married guys most single and even the majority of married guys seek "service" of a different kind when on the road for a week or two max.  Can you imagine what will happen with up to 5 months isolation if those "service workers" weren't "provided" (and tested frequently too and housed as well) by MLB.  This would effectively make MLB the largest pimp in the world.

Hahaha I laughed out loud 😁

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

download (2).jpeg

Won't someone please think of the hookers?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

12 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

A mid-May start in Arizona is 5-6 weeks away and by some projections we could be at the end of the curve or very close by then.

The flatter we make the curve, the longer there will be a non-negligible number of active cases. By doing so we trade time for lives saved. Also: we are now seeing second waves in regions where they thought to have COVID-19 under control. It's pretty much a foregone conclusion that this will also happen in the US before a vaccine is developed. Second also: much smaller communities than the artificial one proposed by MLB have been overrun once a single person gets sick. **** spreads like, erm, a virus.

I still believe an abbreviated August-December season is the safest and most realistic way to make this happen. This Arizona plan has so many problems one can't find a large enough needle to poke holes in it.

For some reason it feels like a lot of people still don't understand how incredibly swiftly and easily this thing can spread. Caution and patience are still our best friend in tackling this thing, not trying to sneak around it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, fletch44 said:

Why are we all still debating this stuff ? Nobody really know what it's gonna look like 2 months. Nobody know if there's going to baseball in 2 months. You don't know. I don't know. Manfred doesn't know. Fauci doesn't know. Trump doesn't know and nobody would believe him if he said he did. It might be too risky, it might not be too risky. Why can't we just leave it at that ? 

How could you say this when the thread is about to become 18 pages long? 

Shooting for 100.

Guys, I have no idea how this keeps happening, but I love it. MLB is progressing along the *exact* course of action I proposed earlier in this thread.  
Sorry to do this again, but check this out:

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/5128935002?__twitter_impression=true

Honestly, the headline says most of it right here:

MLB considering radical realignment for 2020 season: Grapefruit and Cactus leagues

Are they reading this forum for suggestions?!?!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, countseth said:

Guys, I have no idea how this keeps happening, but I love it. MLB is progressing along the *exact* course of action I proposed earlier in this thread.  
Sorry to do this again, but check this out:

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/5128935002?__twitter_impression=true

Honestly, the headline says most of it right here:

MLB considering radical realignment for 2020 season: Grapefruit and Cactus leagues

Are they reading this forum for suggestions?!?!

That’s impressive. I actually love the idea too if we can’t go back to normal. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/9/2020 at 12:51 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

One of the best insights ever posted in this forum.

I could use some servicing just the same after 4 weeks of complete isolation. You guys just aren't cutting it anymore.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

Je7HorseGod posted this article on the regular coronavirius thread but thought a discussion was probably better here in this thread.  Excellent article:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29017716/too-much-iron-players-say-mlb-arizona-plan

And if they weren't too thrilled with Arizona Bubbletown idea I doubt if the other plan being floated of 30 separate Bubbletowns needing to be set up similar to the one giant one they first proposed but all over Florida and Arizona is gonna be a hit either.  Quite frankly this second plan seems even more harebrained than the first which is saying a lot.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Je7HorseGod posted this article on the regular coronavirius thread but thought a discussion was probably better here in this thread.  Excellent article:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29017716/too-much-iron-players-say-mlb-arizona-plan

And if they weren't too thrilled with Arizona Bubbletown idea I doubt if the other plan being floated of 30 separate Bubbletowns needing to be set up similar to the one giant one they first proposed but all over Florida and Arizona is gonna be a hit either.  Quite frankly this second plan seems even more harebrained than the first which is saying a lot.

Man after reading that article it seems like every player's wife is pregnant 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

You have a small window of using your sports fame to get the hottest woman possible pregnant with your seed. You use it. Athletes marry pretty young, because it's the height of their celebrity and they can focus on their game. Plus, being isolated for months, there isn't much else to do and you have a ridiculously hot chick sleeping next to you haha

4 hours ago, Triple Short Of a Cycle said:

How many of these guys are even married? How many have kids? Plus, they’re not going to be isolated for 4-5 months. It’s more likely to be 1-2 months during the summer. I’d imagine many of the guys with young families don’t have their wives and young kids traveling with them all season anyway. 

54 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

How many of these guys are even married? How many have kids? Plus, they’re not going to be isolated for 4-5 months. It’s more likely to be 1-2 months during the summer. I’d imagine many of the guys with young families don’t have their wives and young kids traveling with them all season anyway. 

Rationalize much? Look we all want a season but are we really gonna wily nily assume that all these “family players” players are willing to 1) put themselves, the public and their families at risk 2) willing to be away from their loved ones for an extended period of time (longest road trips probably are about 2 weeks away, and some are probably with family and some are not) just because we want baseball on?

The first break of limited non stay at home orders are reportedly coming around June (https://www.foxnews.com/media/coronavirus-questions-answered-do-we-have-a-plan-for-the-second-wave-of-the-coronavirus). But we will still be in the midst of the second waves emerging at that time. Either baseball will just toss caution into the wind and forge ahead with family visits (among the entirety of other hurdles they face, but hey they got smart people ;) ) or they will won’t be playing :( 

What needs to happen with virus for them to safely forge ahead? I think it’s unknown besides answers we don’t want to hear. Vaccine or a miracle. A bubble town seems likely to get a outbreak. MLB gonna be okay with that?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1