meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

What needs to happen with virus for them to safely forge ahead? I think it’s unknown besides answers we don’t want to hear. Vaccine or a miracle. A bubble town seems likely to get a outbreak. MLB gonna be okay with that?

Ya, I honestly don't think we are seeing baseball this year. 1. A poll showed that no way in hell are fans going to any sporting event until a vaccine is released at 70%+. 2. The earliest a vaccine is hitting the market at all is in September. 3. People who showed they were negative from Coronavirus before are now returning to hospitals positive again <----This is a true disaster. I think most sports are finished in 2020 very sadly (maybe just maybe football can start on a solution now and get started at some point late in the year. No NFL and it will be a country wide depression).

Edited by MrPositive
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, MrPositive said:

Ya, I honestly don't think we are seeing baseball this year. 1. A poll showed that no way in hell are fans going to any sporting event until a vaccine is released at 70%+. 2. The earliest a vaccine is hitting the market at all is in September. 3. People who showed they were negative from Coronavirus before are now returning to hospitals positive again <----This is a true disaster. I think most sports are finished in 2020 very sadly (maybe just maybe football can start on a solution now and get started at some point late in the year. No NFL and it will be a country wide depression).

When even Mr Positive is bleak,  you know it's bad...

But i agree.  This feels like 8 parts wishful thinking,  2 parts good intentions gone wild,  and dusted with hope.  There's no way this bubble dome idea is happening.  About 1000 things could go wrong with this,  and they're running out of time to get it going even if everyone is on board.  

• Like 2

Bob Costas, Peter Gammons and George Will would be rolling in their graves if they heard of some of these virus solutions for baseball.

If the season is actually in Arizona, there are potentially some sleepers here. I’m talking about hitters who normally play in pitcher’s parks but will now play in Arizona, which is supposedly going to boost hitting quite a bit. The following players may be worth more and be bargains:

1B Brandon Belt (long assumed to be a break-out candidate in a hitter’s park)

3B Evan Longoria

3B/OF Hunter Dozier 

3B Manny Machado (back to all-star level?)

OF Gregory Polanco (30 instead of 20 HR along with his 10+ SB’s?)

2B/3B/OF Jeff McNeil (30 HR bat with his .300+ BA?)

Anyone have any other options? I just baked a couple off the top of my head.

Matt Olson. He has been considerably better outside of Oakland

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, RTW10 said:

Matt Olson. He has been considerably better outside of Oakland

If they playing Matt Olsen has a big chance to lead league in homers, had 22 homers on the road last year in like 220 abs that’s 66 homers on pace for 660 abs 

would make olsen a 3rd to 4th round pick imo but people who don’t follow him will let him slip to round 5-6 prolly

Edited by Brye

So games in AZ would devalue all Colorado hitters and increase value for Colorado pitchers, yes? 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

So games in AZ would devalue all Colorado hitters and increase value for Colorado pitchers, yes? 

I think the AZ stadiums are all considered to be extreme hitter parks. 

Edited by tucker26

5 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

not necessarily. there will likely be little variance when it comes to Rockies players.

5 hours ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Well, some of these plans are to just start the season in Arizona (or wherever) and then move it back home.  

But if they play somewhere other than Colorado, this is going to be true. Could be AZ, could be FL.  

Bottom line is, I would give a lot less weight to park factors in general.  

I'm sure I am missing something as I am a random idiot online, but I still think Southern Cal is a better location.  3 MLB parks within 2 hours of each other.  10% of the players already call those parks home.  I'm sure a disproportionate number live there in the off season.  And if they played 3 games a day per park, they could get more than half the games in MLB parks.  

• Like 2

^ plus the summer is a whole lot less horrible 

14 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

Well, some of these plans are to just start the season in Arizona (or wherever) and then move it back home.  

But if they play somewhere other than Colorado, this is going to be true. Could be AZ, could be FL.  

I'm sure I am missing something as I am a random idiot online, but I still think Southern Cal is a better location.  3 MLB parks within 2 hours of each other.  10% of the players already call those parks home.  I'm sure a disproportionate number live there in the off season.  And if they played 3 games a day per park, they could get more than half the games in MLB parks.  

The only thing I can think of is that they are concerned about population density.

8 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

The only thing I can think of is that they are concerned about population density.

Yeah.  If you are trying to set up a bubble world like the atomic testing labs or something, it wouldn't work.  But I think most of us agree that's unlikely to work anyway.

If you get to the point where we have some normalcy, but we still practice social distancing, avoid travel and wear masks and they decide that baseball is no riskier than anything else, then I think it's a good spot.  

Those who don't live there can be set up with a place in Orange county, prepare for games at home and drive or be driven to any park in about an hour.  

• Like 1

Just now, GamblorLA said:

Yeah.  If you are trying to set up a bubble world like the atomic testing labs or something, it wouldn't work.  But I think most of us agree that's unlikely to work anyway.

Unfortunately, you may be right, although Passan reported today "it seems like it's AZ or bust."

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2020/04/coronavirus-mlb-facing-arizona-or-bust-scenario-for-starting-season-report.html

So I guess we'll see.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GamblorLA said:

30 teams can't share 3 ballparks.  Arizona has 11, which could very easily host 15 games per day.  I don't even know that weather would be that much of an issue.  I don't know when the peak times are heat wise, but they could play some games at 9 am, an afternoon game at Chase, then the rest at 7 pm.

42 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

30 teams can't share 3 ballparks.  Arizona has 11, which could very easily host 15 games per day.  I don't even know that weather would be that much of an issue.  I don't know when the peak times are heat wise, but they could play some games at 9 am, an afternoon game at Chase, then the rest at 7 pm.

Is there really only 3 parks? Cant they use college parks, low minor league parks, some rich guy in Scottsdale's backyard? 

Ain't no fans no how (spitooey).

25 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Is there really only 3 parks? Cant they use college parks, low minor league parks, some rich guy in Scottsdale's backyard? 

Ain't no fans no how (spitooey).

Yeah, you got USC, UCLA, UCSD and Call State Fullerton (several national championships) and a lot of other huge colleges.  Some soccer and football stadiums.  5-6 minor league teams.  I'd guess you could find places to play the remaining half of games.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GamblorLA said:

Except the Governor is very pro social distancing. He's being very careful. I can't see him going for this.

On 4/11/2020 at 9:31 PM, MrPositive said:

How can someone who goes by Mr. Positive write this?

Do you/we really think this Florida & Arizona idea is going to happen? 

Because I sure don’t. 

28 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Because I sure don’t. 

Nobody knows for sure what’s going to happen. Personally I think a May start is too aggressive, but a late June/early July start in empty stadiums seems very reasonable. I suspect most occupations and jobs will be up and running in June so I don’t see why baseball without fans  would be any different.

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Because I sure don’t. 

It's hard to see it happening. They need to wait until July if they are going to start anything. Anything later than that then the only thing I can think of is doing an NCAA style tourny with 3 games series.

• Like 1

Just now, meh2 said:

Nobody knows for sure what’s going to happen. Personally I think a May start is too aggressive, but a late June/early July start in empty stadiums seems very reasonable. I suspect most occupations and jobs will be up and running in June so I don’t see why baseball without fans  would be any different.

Yeah, I know what Passan reported yesterday, but assuming people are working in Cleveland and LA and Atlanta and travelling for work in June or July, we've got enough testing and testing resources for everyone, we've got a quick quarantine strategy for hot zones, cases are declining for 14 straight days, maybe this app idea...why does it have to be the baseball bubble in Arizona or bust?

I know it's a lot of "ifs" but it's what needs to be done now, it's what we're all concentrated on.