meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

My guess is places will be open, but fewer people will venture out.  That could keep the rise in cases to an “acceptable” level.

Just now, Mongeese said:

My guess is places will be open, but fewer people will venture out.  That could keep the rise in cases to an “acceptable” level.

Could be.  On the other hand...https://www.ajc.com/news/local/godspeed-marietta-mayor-wants-public-patronize-businesses-set-open/nicc1A6CjgiAFCYnqw0EkL/

Here's Fauci discussing some baseball scenarios...

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Here's Fauci discussing some baseball scenarios...

Not really saying anything he hasnt been preaching for a while now.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, El_Chingon said:

Sorry but mid-May is an absurd prediction.  Mid-May is only 3-4 weeks from today.

Yeah, upon further reflection, mid June or early July probably makes more sense. Especially if the fallback idea of staying in AZ through November or later because the weather will be great gives them more time to extend the season and not rush things. I could see MLB kicking off the season with literal fireworks on July 4th and running through November or December. Don’t underestimate billionaires and separating them from their money however. That was the reasoning behind my May thinking. I also though the ultra hot weather would require them to start sooner. But maybe they can schedule June and July games to occur late morning and in the evening to avoid the worst of the Arizona heat. It’s already getting hot in AZ so that might just be something everyone has to deal with. 

Edited by TheForearmShiver

Why do we need baseball this year though?

if normal people can’t work but entertainment can would probably cause more protests. The economic impact of shutting down baseball is minimal if the local market economies do not benefit. If players and owners hit hard times, they can collect unemployment if needed. Everyone sacrifice remember?

18 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

if normal people can’t work but entertainment can would probably cause more protests. The economic impact of shutting down baseball is minimal if the local market economies do not benefit. If players and owners hit hard times, they can collect unemployment if needed. Everyone sacrifice remember?

Honestly, i get where you are coming from.. but i truly believe given the normal persons situation with these stay at home orders... that distraction of sport would help minimize the mental difficulties some people may be going through. We dont 'need' it.. but we need it. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jonninho said:

Honestly, i get where you are coming from.. but i truly believe given the normal persons situation with these stay at home orders... that distraction of sport would help minimize the mental difficulties some people may be going through. We dont 'need' it.. but we need it. 

People need to get back to work first and foremost...I would wager that most people would rather see their kids back playing sports before professionals as well. That would really boost mental health. 

10 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

People need to get back to work first and foremost...I would wager that most people would rather see their kids back playing sports before professionals as well. That would really boost mental health. 

I'd definitely agree with you there.

If a number of states and subsequently businesses reopen and stay open though, and our cases don't rise exponentially causing another shutdown, I doubt you will see players and owners opting for turning down millions in exchange for unemployment benefits if there's another option.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Dr. Whom said:

Because starting with the coming weeks, “normal people” will be going back to work. There is some serious closed mindedness and doom and gloom out there. I’m not sure why so many are taking such an adversarial position on a fantasy baseball site either. *I don’t mean this post in particular* but many of the posts in these two threads trying to fan the flames of no baseball when signs are all pointing to things starting to return to normal in the not so distant future. These are baseball players not restaurant workers serving us food. If they want to get paid they can play baseball. If they don’t want to play, they’ll probably even be allowed to stay home and forfeit some or all of their pay. Baseball is coming back whether people like it or not. That much seems to be obvious to everyone else thanks to baseball literally saying as much. What’s the point of coming to a fantasy baseball site where people are craving baseball to keep shouting from the mountain tops that there should be no baseball? It just comes off as holier than thou in this setting. Maybe you don’t care if baseball comes back but there are many that are hopeful for some kind of distraction to make life seem normal again similar to baseball’s return after 9/11. 

Edited by TheForearmShiver
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

[ Posts removed. Dial the intensity back and have a civil conversation here. ]

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I'd definitely agree with you there.

If a number of states and subsequently businesses reopen and stay open though, and our cases don't rise exponentially causing another shutdown, I doubt you will see players and owners opting for turning down millions in exchange for unemployment benefits if there's another option.

Can’t have cases go up exponentially if you aren’t testing for them. There aren’t enough tests to effectively test everyone with symptoms but they are going to hand 2-3 per week, per player, manager, and everyone else involved to test during this? I mean the US as a whole is testing like 300k a week. They’d need ALL of the tests being used currently in the US just to get running. Seems like it’ll happen. 

Arizona has only had 55k tests since day one. And those had a fail rate of 30-50%. 

Edited by daynlokki

The latest spitballing as MLB shows it has no real concrete plans but keeps throwing mud against walls:

R.J. Anderson of CBS Sports reports that one idea the league is discussing is putting teams in one of three hubs located in Florida, Arizona and Texas.

It's been reported previously that Major League Baseball has discussed the possibility of playing games in Arizona and also Arizona and Florida, but this is the first we've heard about Texas being a potential spot. Like the "Arizona Plan" and "Arizona and Florida Plan," this one isn't close to getting off the ground at this point. Rather, it's just one idea being kicked around as baseball tries to salvage the 2020 season.

Source: R.J. Anderson on Twitter                                       Apr 20, 2020, 8:27 PM ET

Yeah bake them to death in the Texas heat.  That's the ticket.

I think the operative word above is "discussing."  It is a LONG way from discussing to concrete plans and a longer way from concrete plans to concrete action.  In other words MLB doesn't have a clue.  And how could they.  But to pretend as if they do and that they are seriously trying to set-up crazy plans is ridiculous.  Just be honest and say you are just involved in flights of imagination at this point.  Good that you are but to hint this stuff is going to actually happen let alone soon is disinformation.

29 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Can’t have cases go up exponentially if you aren’t testing for them. There aren’t enough tests to effectively test everyone with symptoms but they are going to hand 2-3 per week, per player, manager, and everyone else involved to test during this? I mean the US as a whole is testing like 300k a week. They’d need ALL of the tests being used currently in the US just to get running. Seems like it’ll happen. 

Arizona has only had 55k tests since day one. And those had a fail rate of 30-50%. 

Just speaking for GA here, testing has been poor, although they now have devoted multiple facilities to drive through testing and have ramped up production of kits and ancillary facilities.

Given Kemp's "enthusiasm" for reopening businesses here, we're going to be something of a petri dish.  If the next wave doesn't crush us I would suspect several governors and business owners to follow suit.

40 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The latest spitballing as MLB shows it has no real concrete plans but keeps throwing mud against walls:

I think the operative word above is "discussing."  It is a LONG way from discussing to concrete plans and a longer way from concrete plans to concrete action.  In other words MLB doesn't have a clue.  And how could they.  But to pretend as if they do and that they are seriously trying to set-up crazy plans is ridiculous.  Just be honest and say you are just involved in flights of imagination at this point.  Good that you are but to hint this stuff is going to actually happen let alone soon is disinformation.

There are ways around the heat... early morning games.. or games played in the evening.. combined with both the stadiums of the Astros and the Rangers new ball parks which SHOULD be able to host 2-3 games each per day, with teams rotating between ball parks to ensure fair play and that all teams get the benefit of retractable roofs and i dont see this being a problem.

IMO, the only thing stopping the MLB from actually moving forward with plans is the lack of testing in the U.S. which to me in crazy when you guys have somebody like Trump talk openly about how he misses sports and wants them back, but surely has not done enough to ensure that you guys have enough testing kits to make the return of sport an actuality.

3 minutes ago, jonninho said:

There are ways around the heat... early morning games.. or games played in the evening.. combined with both the stadiums of the Astros and the Rangers new ball parks which SHOULD be able to host 2-3 games each per day, with teams rotating between ball parks to ensure fair play and that all teams get the benefit of retractable roofs and i dont see this being a problem.

IMO, the only thing stopping the MLB from actually moving forward with plans is the lack of testing in the U.S. which to me in crazy when you guys have somebody like Trump talk openly about how he misses sports and wants them back, but surely has not done enough to ensure that you guys have enough testing kits to make the return of sport an actuality.

I understand the need for testing, but how often do you test? You do an initial test then I think daily temperature checks and weekly virus tests, that’s a lot of tests. I don’t think this will happen til everyday factory workers, health care workers, restaurant workers etc. can be tested and allowed to go back to work. Until people are allowed to go back to work and get the economy going, I don’t think there will be any professional sports. Some how golf plans to restart mid June, don’t know what their plan is for testing but it will not be well received if they are tested to play golf and people can’t return to work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Rangers, Astros, Diamondbacks...I mean, MLB plays in this summer heat every year. I don’t know why you continue to harp on the weather as if it’s some sticking point. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Rangers, Astros, Diamondbacks...I mean, MLB plays in this summer heat every year. I don’t know why you continue to harp on the weather as if it’s some sticking point. 

Rangers starting this summer, Astros, Diamondbacks, Marlins, and Rays all will be playing in air conditioned stadiums.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I personally think the best decision to get baseball back and reduce the chance of players getting infected would be to host teams in all 3 states. Whether that is 2 traiditonal divisions in each state or the re-aligned divisions in each state. Few days off at certain parts in season. Rotate states. Ensure everything is sanitzed accordingly along with time between swap of teams allowing the disease to die naturally on whatever surface it may have remained on.

BTW, i totally agree with you.. i dont get why the heat is being discussed by some users as if MLB teams dont play in that heat every summer anyways..

1 hour ago, wahoos1 said:

I understand the need for testing, but how often do you test? You do an initial test then I think daily temperature checks and weekly virus tests, that’s a lot of tests. I don’t think this will happen til everyday factory workers, health care workers, restaurant workers etc. can be tested and allowed to go back to work. Until people are allowed to go back to work and get the economy going, I don’t think there will be any professional sports. Some how golf plans to restart mid June, don’t know what their plan is for testing but it will not be well received if they are tested to play golf and people can’t return to work.

Agreed. Untill tests are more widely available.. i dont see sports being back either if those tests are being taken away from the public.

I really dont get or understand how the U.S.A is so far behind in testing and its availability.

1 minute ago, Low and Away said:

Rangers starting this summer, Astros, Diamondbacks, Marlins, and Rays all will be playing in air conditioned stadiums.

Yup. 5 MLB calibre stadiums ready for use. 3 States. 3 games per stadium a day. 8-9am... 3-4pm... 8-10pm... 6 teams per stadium per day. 30 teams accounted for on a daily basis in temperature controlled enviornments.

Again, i really believe testing is the only thing stopping this thing from full steam ahead.

1) The U.S. is not even close on testing. I'm not sure how it gets corrected at this point. It's downplayed constantly at the federal level and where's the investment? I understand that many smart companies and scientists are working on this, but without the willingness to invest in mass production, how are we supposed to get there? You'd think this whole "reopen everything now" crowd would be ALL about testing since that is the key to everything.

2) Florida, Arizona, and Texas have all been hot messes in their responses to this crisis and are weeks, if not months, behind better-prepared states in the timing of their peaks. I'm sure MLB is trying their best to work around this.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

1) The U.S. is not even close on testing. I'm not sure how it gets corrected at this point. It's downplayed constantly at the federal level and where's the investment? I understand that many smart companies and scientists are working on this, but without the willingness to invest in mass production, how are we supposed to get there? You'd think this whole "reopen everything now" crowd would be ALL about testing since that is the key to everything.

2) Florida, Arizona, and Texas have all been hot messes in their responses to this crisis and are weeks, if not months, behind better-prepared states in the timing of their peaks. I'm sure MLB is trying their best to work around this.

Your not suppose to have this attitude. 

Edited by shakestreet

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Your not suppose to have this attitude. 

Haha I know, but we're deep enough in at this point that wishful thinking isn't even worth the keystrokes. I want a season as much as anyone else here, but it will be a daunting climb. Even if the season starts, no player can get it, per NBA precedent.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Just speaking for GA here, testing has been poor, although they now have devoted multiple facilities to drive through testing and have ramped up production of kits and ancillary facilities.

Given Kemp's "enthusiasm" for reopening businesses here, we're going to be something of a petri dish.  If the next wave doesn't crush us I would suspect several governors and business owners to follow suit.

Georgia has done almost twice the number of tests Arizona has to date. 

2 hours ago, jonninho said:

Moving teams between ballparks now opens you up further to spreading disease. New hotels, new facilities, new people around everyone just getting to and from the park. Most likely they would need for everyone to stay at the same parks and hotels for the duration. 

20 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Georgia has done almost twice the number of tests Arizona has to date.

That would make sense, we have almost twice as many people.

I've reached a point of apathy regarding baseball and fantasy baseball this year. It's probably partially due to the uncertainty of the season. Its definitely partially due to the amount of prep-work I did in the offseason.

I cant even bring myself to adjust my draft board haha. But the apathy is real. And its unspectacular.

• Like 1