meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Scott Boras represents some of the biggest stars of the game and he says they are in favor getting back going sooner rather than later. He believes baseball can get back into Spring Training much faster than most people are even anticipating. More evidence baseball will be back - if you didn’t believe it when the commissioner said it.

 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/legendary-baseball-agent-scott-boras-has-a-plan-to-bring-the-game-back.html

Edited by TheForearmShiver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Scott Boras represents some of the biggest stars of the game and he says they are in favor getting back going sooner rather than later. He believes baseball can get back into Spring Training much faster than most people are even anticipating. More evidence baseball will be back - if you didn’t believe it when the commissioner said it.

 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/legendary-baseball-agent-scott-boras-has-a-plan-to-bring-the-game-back.html

It’s not evidence of anything. It’s one man’s opinion and a man who desperately needs the game back for his own business.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

It’s not evidence of anything. It’s one man’s opinion and a man who desperately needs the game back for his own business.

Yes, he's starving! 

 

Sarcasm aside, I agree 100 %

Edited by 2ndCitySox
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't put a ton of faith in his opinion, but also don't see it as worthless.  He probably has a fair amount of knowledge and if he really thought it was 100% hopeless, it would be pointless to say otherwise.  

I'd guess he thinks some type of season is possible and he is pushing them to be aggressive.  But not too aggressive. Even if you assume he is a total psychopath, these are his horses.  He wants them them to stay healthy.

He does know what his players want, which is part of his statement.  Probably not to his advantage to lie about that and misrepresent them.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TribeFoo said:

It’s not evidence of anything. It’s one man’s opinion and a man who desperately needs the game back for his own business.

Yeah I’m sure the fact that he represents the biggest names in baseball - one of the most influential samples of Major League Baseball- who have stated they will be ready to get back at a moment’s notice means absolutely nothing. But everyone can keep quoting Mike Trout because his one opinion about being away from family is all encompassing. Some people are so dug in on there being no baseball that they can’t see that they are doing everything possible to make baseball happen. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Yeah I’m sure the fact that he represents the biggest names in baseball - one of the most influential samples of Major League Baseball- who have stated they will be ready to get back at a moment’s notice means absolutely nothing. But everyone can keep quoting Mike Trout because his one opinion about being away from family is all encompassing. Some people are so dug in on there being no baseball that they can’t see that they are doing everything possible to make baseball happen. 

I’m not dug in at all and really want the game back (is there anyone who doesn’t?), but I really wouldn’t point to him as some beacon of certainty that it will be. He has plenty of ulterior motives and saying the players want to play is hardly breaking news. We all know max effort will be made, but it’s the biggest logistical nightmare imaginable to congregate so many people right now.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Yeah I’m sure the fact that he represents the biggest names in baseball - one of the most influential samples of Major League Baseball- who have stated they will be ready to get back at a moment’s notice means absolutely nothing. But everyone can keep quoting Mike Trout because his one opinion about being away from family is all encompassing. Some people are so dug in on there being no baseball that they can’t see that they are doing everything possible to make baseball happen. 


I like Boras’ plan (it’s the best thing I’ve heard yet) but it’s still not evidence of anything. He’s merely a chap with MLB clients. Not a MLB official. Maybe he has influence on MLB officials, idk. I also think everyone here wants sports and mlb back ASAP. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We might need to implement a different strategy.  Sweden is quarantining the elderly and vulnerable.   Figure out a way to help these people while in quarantine.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Yeah I’m sure the fact that he represents the biggest names in baseball - one of the most influential samples of Major League Baseball- who have stated they will be ready to get back at a moment’s notice means absolutely nothing. But everyone can keep quoting Mike Trout because his one opinion about being away from family is all encompassing. Some people are so dug in on there being no baseball that they can’t see that they are doing everything possible to make baseball happen. 

Boras has ulterior motives, period.  It is all about greed with that guy.  And it has been way more players than just Mike Trout saying what Trout was saying.  Did you not read that article with over a dozen expressing fear and hesitation or the statements by Price and Kershaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Yeah I’m sure the fact that he represents the biggest names in baseball - one of the most influential samples of Major League Baseball- who have stated they will be ready to get back at a moment’s notice means absolutely nothing. But everyone can keep quoting Mike Trout because his one opinion about being away from family is all encompassing. Some people are so dug in on there being no baseball that they can’t see that they are doing everything possible to make baseball happen. 

He doesn’t make any money if none of his players have a season. If you can’t see that could blatantly skew what he could possibly say on the subject then idk what to say to you. Yes, they will do everything they can. As soon as ONE person gets sick the entire league will fall apart again. We don’t even have the testing capabilities to make sure it’s safe currently. 

 

2 hours ago, B&F said:

We might need to implement a different strategy.  Sweden is quarantining the elderly and vulnerable.   Figure out a way to help these people while in quarantine.

 

The vulnerable includes the overweight. Which in the US is about half the population. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

Good question...I don’t know. Is it a thousand per organization counting stadium and front office? What is the minimum per needed team with only tv revenue be generated? All stadium concessions and ticket sales jobs would be cut or minimal.

 

I quickly searched and MLB itself employees about 2K people and I think teams employ about 1K each.  I don't know what that all encompasses though and how many would keep their jobs regardless.  Figure some people would have to work at the stadiums and the TV crews.  So, maybe 40K?  50K? Either way, not insignificant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, daynlokki said:

He doesn’t make any money if none of his players have a season. If you can’t see that could blatantly skew what he could possibly say on the subject then idk what to say to you. Yes, they will do everything they can. As soon as ONE person gets sick the entire league will fall apart again. We don’t even have the testing capabilities to make sure it’s safe currently. 

 

The vulnerable includes the overweight. Which in the US is about half the population. 

If you don’t think that the people who control the money (in this case MLB, Owners, Agents) don’t control America, you really haven’t been paying attention. Those with billions at stake will get their way. But you can go ahead and bet against house money. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

If you don’t think that the people who control the money (in this case MLB, Owners, Agents) don’t control America, you really haven’t been paying attention. Those with billions at stake will get their way. But you can go ahead and bet against house money. 

My money is on the players if they as a group don’t think it’s safe to play they won’t play. Owners/agents do not have total control, they also will determine all the risk factors and risks outweigh safety there won’t be baseball. I just don’t think any of us have any idea what is going to happen in days weeks months. All this talk about Florida Texas Arizona league is hope and then Manfred throws his ball onthe field just remember he is as clueless as me you & Trump. Hope. We all want our lives back fingers are crossed let’s just take it one day at a time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

If you don’t think that the people who control the money (in this case MLB, Owners, Agents) don’t control America, you really haven’t been paying attention. Those with billions at stake will get their way. But you can go ahead and bet against house money. 

I highly doubt MLB owners are running the entirety of America, let alone even the governors of their own individual states. But sure, keep spreading insane conspiracy theories as truth. That’ll show us. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, daynlokki said:

I highly doubt MLB owners are running the entirety of America, let alone even the governors of their own individual states. But sure, keep spreading insane conspiracy theories as truth. That’ll show us. 

No he means the billionaires in general control America, not just MLB owners. Although I do enjoy the image of Jerry Reinsdorf sitting on a golden throne cackling as he eats a plate of buffalo spotted owl wings. 

  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, daynlokki said:

I highly doubt MLB owners are running the entirety of America, let alone even the governors of their own individual states. But sure, keep spreading insane conspiracy theories as truth. That’ll show us. 

I didn’t mean anything related to baseball owners literally running America. I think you read what I said wrong or I wasn’t clear enough in making my point. 
 

MLB owners have a ton of power over what they can control in baseball and many states are planning to reopen. I didn’t mean MLB owners control America. I meant billionaires control America and likewise in this case billionaires control baseball and are sure to get their way.

 

As an example of what I meant, Big Pharma, food manufacturers and banks all typically do what they want when push comes to shove because their led by billionaires who will impose their will when they are determined to maximize- or in this case - save their revenues. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

I didn’t mean anything related to baseball owners literally running America. I think you read what I said wrong or I wasn’t clear enough in making my point. 
 

MLB owners have a ton of power over what they can control in baseball and many states are planning to reopen. I didn’t mean MLB owners control America. I meant billionaires control America and likewise in this case billionaires control baseball and are sure to get their way.

 

As an example of what I meant, Big Pharma, food manufacturers and banks all typically do what they want when push comes to shove because their led by billionaires who will impose their will when they are determined to maximize- or in this case - save their revenues. 

MLB owners have absolutely no power in this situation. If the players don’t feel safe, there won’t be a season. If major players are sitting out, there at least will be less of a chance of a season as well. As soon as one athlete gets sick they will have to **** everything back down again anyways. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Scott Boras represents some of the biggest stars of the game and he says they are in favor getting back going sooner rather than later. He believes baseball can get back into Spring Training much faster than most people are even anticipating. More evidence baseball will be back - if you didn’t believe it when the commissioner said it.

 

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/legendary-baseball-agent-scott-boras-has-a-plan-to-bring-the-game-back.html

I also heard the CEO of BP saying that people should be flying more. He’s an expert and I believe him.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

I also heard the CEO of BP saying that people should be flying more. He’s an expert and I believe him.

I’m not saying billionaires are right so don’t put words in my mouth. Maybe I have to make it clear that I’m a Bernie Sanders supporter and that I despise billionaires. I’m saying this more as a person jaded by big billionaire capitalism, that the billionaires usually get what they want. 
 

this is more a response to daynlokki. You can believe the players will rebel, and maybe they will. History tells us the players typically fall in line because the owners have all the power. Maybe this will be the exception. I’m open-minded that anything is possible. 

Edited by TheForearmShiver

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

I’m not saying billionaires are right so don’t put words in my mouth. Maybe I have to make it clear that I’m a Bernie Sanders supporter and that I despise billionaires. I’m saying this more as a person jaded by big billionaire capitalism, that the billionaires usually get what they want. 
 

this is more a response to daynlokki. You can believe the players will rebel, and maybe they will. History tells us the players typically fall in line because the owners have all the power. Maybe this will be the exception. I’m open-minded that anything is possible. 

Several players have already came out and said they wouldn’t be willing to sequester for four to five months already. It’s gonna be tough for the MLB to sell the Angels team on playing when Trout doesn’t wanna play. Especially with the things they already agreed to in the way of service time and pay if the season is canceled. I mean Trout will get paid 5k a day to not play this season. While that’s grossly under what he makes, his wife is also due in August and I doubt he wants to have to go through the quarantine procedure to be able to be at the birth, then the quarantine procedure after to play again. One person gets sick and they have to shut everything down. Try to contact trace that individual player for a set amount of time. That’s if they can get the testing procedures to not have a 30% false negative rate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez, someone posts an article with a pretty influential person in the game saying he thinks baseball will return and it's like some of you just can't reply quick enough to crap all over it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

Jeez, someone posts an article with a pretty influential person in the game saying he thinks baseball will return and it's like some of you just can't reply quick enough to crap all over it.

The original poster implied that this was proof all the players would return right away if allowed and that wasn't true.  So just trying to fact check.  Being a realist is not crapping on anything.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Several players have already came out and said they wouldn’t be willing to sequester for four to five months already. It’s gonna be tough for the MLB to sell the Angels team on playing when Trout doesn’t wanna play. Especially with the things they already agreed to in the way of service time and pay if the season is canceled. I mean Trout will get paid 5k a day to not play this season. While that’s grossly under what he makes, his wife is also due in August and I doubt he wants to have to go through the quarantine procedure to be able to be at the birth, then the quarantine procedure after to play again. One person gets sick and they have to shut everything down. Try to contact trace that individual player for a set amount of time. That’s if they can get the testing procedures to not have a 30% false negative rate. 

They would not have to sequester for 4-5 months. Maybe a month. Maybe two months. Maybe not at all by July 4th. Faced with losing tens of millions of dollars many players will be on board that are pushing back right now. Most of these guys are away from their families for long stretches anyway. I’m pretty sure most players don’t bring their families around the country during the season and many don’t have their families living in their home cities. By the time baseball were to start in June or July, Arizona will likely be very safe from COVID-19. And if for some reason it’s not, they won’t start baseball.
 

As it stands, there are currently 150-300 new cases per day in the entire state of Arizona. It’s hardly even a pandemic situation there now. Looking at all the curves around the world that have flattened out, it’s a fair assumption that AZ will follow the same trend and be safe by then. Look at the actual numbers. Unless baseball brings a COVID-19 pandemic there, it’s likely to be safe in 6-8 weeks and a pre-quarantine and testing of the players starting a month from now would help prevent that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.