meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

16 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Real big of you, doctor.  Hah.  Seriously how do you find something clinically "wrong" with a person that disagrees with you?  But go ahead and attack me personally if you want.

Why are you misquoting me yet again.  I said: "Believing for example that the official baseball season would say begin in May ...".  Do you not get the difference between the "official baseball season" and "NO baseball?" 

And with NO concrete "plans" even announced as in "we are going forward with the plan to do etc etc" let alone starting the physical and social and political and medical negotiations and superstructure with the economics of various rentals and a full blown and staffed medical support systems in place THEN needing at least three weeks minimum for a new spring training how would it be in the realm of any possibility to start an official season in May even if a season was announced tomorrow?  Also federal recommendations are for Arizona to be in the last tier of states to open along with NY, California etc.

Since you asked. I am not attacking or even evaluating your personality. I have no opinion of you as a person. However, I wish you well. I hope david dobrik shoots $10,000 at you (just something I saw on social media) and you match up with a super hot person on an app and connect with them when this is all over.

Perhaps this thinking is isolated only to this issue. IDK.  But it is oddly, excessively negative and your constant assertions that only you and those who agree with you can see facts and logic and everyone else is in the land of pixies and unicorns are characteristic of that thinking.

ALL positive news is filtered out and attacked and ridiculed. At this point, we've got lots of sports around the world going, or gearing up to go (mostly the latter).  Even the WWE here.  Many baseball insiders are saying there is hope for a season, and it would be pointless to lie about that.  Our most trusted expert on the pandemic is talking about baseball this season. With limited numbers of fans even!  If you guys wanna think alllll these people are crooked or dumb I don't know what to say.  Maybe say that out loud and see what it sounds like.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

😃

Best.  Woj Bomb.  Ever.

Lol, everyone saw the wild tv ratings for the NFL draft and wants in. I don’t blame them, let’s get sports back!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

Lol, everyone saw the wild tv ratings for the NFL draft and wants in. I don’t blame them, let’s get sports back!

lol, you know.. i hadnt actually considered that but you may be on to something. The ratings for a virtual draft were ridiculous. I personally never watch the draft.. i find it boring and a waste of time. I sat there for a few picks untill i could no longer take anymore.. others clearly watched it beyond myself... as the ratings show.. and ofcourse.. the day or two after.. the NBA now has a 'date of hope' for its fans... the NHL now has a 'date of hope' for its fans.. i wouldnt be surprised to see MLB in the next day or two put something out for the public.

On 4/24/2020 at 4:56 PM, GamblorLA said:

Again, assuming Boras is a psychopath, it would still be pointless to lie if he thought a season was impossible.  It also would not be in his interests for a client to die or lose a bunch of their lung capacity, particularly if he had promoted them playing unsafely.  Or to lie about what his players have told him.  And hey, MAYBE he isn't pure evil. Is it possible? 

What you describe is really a model of negative/depressive thinking, which I know all too well.  Depressives actually DO have a lower sense of denial than normies.  Like, a lot of people believe they will be rich one day for no particular reason.  Not depressives. This is more realistic on their part.  However, this bolsters cognitive errors because you think your unfounded conclusions (I'm a loser who will never amount to anything) are bolstered by "facts and logic."   

I'm not diagnosing you with clinical depression over FBB message board, but what you've been saying is a pattern of negative thought seen in the cognitive errors that drive things like depression.  It's a FACT that they are playing baseball in Taiwan. Right now.  It really looks like Korea is to follow.  Clearly, suggesting that playing baseball is some far flung fantasy is contradicted by the fact that people are currently doing it.

The U.S. has not done as well as those countries, but perhaps some particular areas have done well or are inherently much less vulnerable.  Maybe our poorer handling of the disease means it will take us twice as long to get to baseball, but we'll still get there.  Maybe we won't.  Maybe the virus will keep recurring and mutating until all humans are dead.  I don't know, you don't know. 

But it is not "factual" or "logical" to conclude that a season is impossible and that anybody who is spitballing about how to make it happen is delusional and everyone should just lay down and quit 2 months ahead of time rather than prepare for good scenarios.  Or to jump all over someone posting an credible, mainstream article in which a prominent baseball figure is interviewed because it doesn't support your conclusions.  

Let me preface this response before getting into it as it's rather long, and might be too profound to some..I'm of the belief that each and every one of us here, in this forum, wants baseball to restart, otherwise we wouldn't be here, period. Now I may be wrong, and to those that don't want baseball to resume this season, we all ask that you simply stop trolling. I seriously don't want to believe that anyone is trolling here. That said, we're all different in our thought processes, and while we may have differing opinions, EVERYTHING being posted here is just that, an opinion, zero facts,  all opinions or wants..and there are 3 sides to every opinion, yours, theirs, and the mine, I'm in the wait and see side, I'll believe it when it is, until then, all of my hopes are that it will resume at some point, hopefully this summer if it's safe enough......I've raised my kids and grandkids telling them that things aren't until they are, period, no matter how much we want them to be, until they are, they simply aren't, and there's no debate about that..Just because someone says something, it doesn't make it so, even if someone in power says they want it to be, it still isn't until it is, no rainbows, no unicorns,it's just that the only fact being reported here is this: " Just because something isn't, doesn't meant it can't, or won't be", and nothing that isn't, is, until it actually is", period. I'm of the mind that those words are exactly what they are..Now I've tried my hardest to stay away from this thread after someone went over the line about me, and one of my posts, but that's all in the past, I'm not here to get into it again, just voicing why I've stayed out of this thread,  as it reminds me of the everyday goings on in the Senate, the house, and every other aspect of our government, one side says X and the other says Y, with no give, no middle, just one side vs the other, when both are not right, blah blah blah, but the bolded is a little disingenuous to a degree, while there IS baseball going on in Taiwan, lets tell the rest of the story as to why, or rather how...First of all, they are not a member of the WHO, China has made sure of this, they take care of themselves, alone, and when first word came available about a potential pandemic out of China on Dec.31st,https://www.darkdaily.com/taiwans-containment-of-covid-19-outbreak-demonstrates-importance-of-rapid-response-including-fast-access-to-clinical-laboratory-tests/, they sprang into action. They learned their lesson from their sars epidemic of 2003, and made sure they had the needed safety, and medical resources to respond to any other pandemic that might arise..  In other words, they were almost 2 months ahead of the rest of the world in responding to this one, and had everything in place, so, while, yes, you are correct in saying that they are playing baseball there, it's because of how they handled the outbreak before it broke out..We're soo far behind, but gaining ground, that there's no way we could get things up and running until just recently, amid recommendations to the contrary by citizens as well as some experts....Hopefully we can get our great game back soon, but we all need to stop attacking each other because we don't agree, we're all entitled to our opinion, but the fact remains, everything that isn't, will remain so until it is, and just because something isn't, doesn't mean it will remain so...We need to open our minds to see what is, and what might be..otherwise we,( I'm speaking about the US of A posters here) will never be united, I mean, we really aren't after looking at the news, and divided political sides we have, but I digress...Rob Halford said it all in the late 70's on the British Steel album: United we stand, divided we fall...I'm out until baseball starts again, both sides of this thread gives me a headache, I'll keep my coin on it's edge rather than either side...peace out.

I need to add that we need hopes and dreams, without them we could fall into depression, in the same respect that we need the side that reminds us that not every thing that we want will be in-order to keep ourselves from setting us up for disappointments, a checks and balance system if you will, as both are an integral part of life..lean too far to one side, and we might not have the ability to keep our sanity, or civility if you will....which we seem to lose at time on these forums...BE TOLERANT of each side, neither of which is correct or right here as of now...hopefully things change and we hear those wonderful words: PLAY BALL....If I had a lawn to mow, I'd do so just to remind myself of going to see the A's as a kid in the late 60's.....I miss those times.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FISH ON said:

I need to add that we need hopes and dreams, without them we could fall into depression, in the same respect that we need the side that reminds us that not every thing that we want will be in-order to keep ourselves from setting us up for disappointments, a checks and balance system if you will, as both are an integral part of life..lean too far to one side, and we might not have the ability to keep our sanity, or civility if you will....which we seem to lose at time on these forums...BE TOLERANT of each side, neither of which is correct or right here as of now...hopefully things change and we hear those wonderful words: PLAY BALL....If I had a lawn to mow, I'd do so just to remind myself of going to see the A's as a kid in the late 60's.....I miss those times.....

Appreciate your posts man - glad you're doing OK.

Yeah - we need baseball. Can't wait.

I see no reason why MLB can't resume by say, June 1st. Without fans if need be. But let's get this games rolling. We all miss it and need it in our lives.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, lavaman said:

I see no reason why MLB can't resume by say, June 1st. Without fans if need be. But let's get this games rolling. We all miss it and need it in our lives.

Depends on if you expect the Blue Jays to play as the Canadian/American border is still closed.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Depends on if you expect the Blue Jays to play as the Canadian/American border is still closed.  

Cause I'm sure all the Jays players are in Toronto currently.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, 89Topps said:

And the border might be opened.  And if it's not opened, those players who live in Toronto can play here.  I'm sure arrangements can be made to restart a multi-billion dollar industry that will bring happiness to millions of people (and voters) after a global crisis that shut down the economy. As someone else mentioned, the billionaires who own these teams have a bit of pull too.  

I mean, can you really imagine a scenario where everything else is set and they are like, "we can't get work visas for nine guys on the Jays so we're just going to forget it and cancel the season?"

THAT is something where, if it happened, I might go looking for some unicorns and leprechauns.  

• Haha 2

It's already going to be a weird season. If some guys aren't there on day one, you can still start playing games. It's in the players, fans, and owners' interest. If there's any way for it to happen, it will happen. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 89Topps said:

How many players do you assume are away from their homes in town there? If the border is closed, they have already said the NHL won’t restart either. 

6 hours ago, GamblorLA said:

And the border might be opened.  And if it's not opened, those players who live in Toronto can play here.  I'm sure arrangements can be made to restart a multi-billion dollar industry that will bring happiness to millions of people (and voters) after a global crisis that shut down the economy. As someone else mentioned, the billionaires who own these teams have a bit of pull too.  

I mean, can you really imagine a scenario where everything else is set and they are like, "we can't get work visas for nine guys on the Jays so we're just going to forget it and cancel the season?"

THAT is something where, if it happened, I might go looking for some unicorns and leprechauns.  

MLB team owners aren’t going to force Canada to open their border. That’s one hell of a strawman argument. Just how much sway do you think team owners for baseball really have? You think they somehow have sway over a foreign government apparently. 

Hard to assume the US is gonna have any sports when we have almost 5x the cases of covid as any other country in the world as currently reported. A million cases will be broken today. 800k of those are considered ongoing. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
42 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

How many players do you assume are away from their homes in town there? If the border is closed, they have already said the NHL won’t restart either. 

MLB team owners aren’t going to force Canada to open their border. That’s one hell of a strawman argument. Just how much sway do you think team owners for baseball really have? You think they somehow have sway over a foreign government apparently. 

I doubt there are any players staying in Toronto right now. 

You don’t have to open the border to provide the Blue Jays with a travel exemption to play in Arizona. 

Also, the NHL is actually the strawman argument, since you brought it up, because around half of their players are foreign which is double MLB. I’m not even sure where you’re getting that info because the NHL is “intensifying efforts to reopen” by reports in the last day or two. The NBA seems to be even more aggressive. 

Also...time matters. Our country will soon begin to begin the re-opening in phases. Sure, the borders are closed today. Will they be in a month? Two months? A lot will change by the time baseball may resume. You seem to want to make one-dimensional judgements without thinking about a progression of conditions between now and when baseball may resume. 

Another counterpoint, The US has the most cases of any country, but we’re not talking about reinstating baseball in New York City. We’re talking about Arizona. Where, even if your argument of being a low testing per capita state was entitled valid, AZ has only had 6,000 cases. If you tripled that number to make up for your lack of testing, it would still not be a very concerning amount at this stage of COVID’s progression curve. Unless you want to argue that testing is low in Arizona and other states is lower because demand for testing is lower than the more densely populated coastal states where international travel is more common. 50% of the US cases are in NY, NJ and Massachusetts - 2,000+ miles away from Arizona. 

Edited by TheForearmShiver
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

I doubt there are any players staying in Toronto right now. 

You don’t have to open the border to provide the Blue Jays with a travel exemption to play in Arizona. 

Also, the NHL is actually the strawman argument, since you brought it up, because around half of their players are foreign which is double MLB. I’m not even sure where you’re getting that info because the NHL is “intensifying efforts to reopen” by reports in the last day or two. The NBA seems to be even more aggressive. 

Also...time matters. Our country will soon begin to begin the re-opening in phases. Sure, the borders are closed today. Will they be in a month? Two months? A lot will change by the time baseball may resume. You seem to want to make one-dimensional judgements without thinking about a progression of conditions between now and when baseball may resume. 

Another counterpoint, The US has the most cases of any country, but we’re not talking about reinstating baseball in New York City. We’re talking about Arizona. Where, even if your argument of being a low testing per capita state was entitled valid, AZ has only had 6,000 cases. If you tripled that number to make up for your lack of testing, it would still not be a very concerning amount at this stage of COVID’s progression curve. Unless you want to argue that testing is low in Arizona and other states is lower because demand for testing is lower than the more densely populated coastal states where international travel is more common. 50% of the US cases are in NY, NJ and Massachusetts - 2,000+ miles away from Arizona. 

You doubt that any players who play in Toronto live in Canada? That seems a bit of a stretch. Arizona has tested a combined 64,811 people. That just puts them 49th in the US for per capita testing. You assuming they are gonna be able to handle about 10k tests a week with all the players and personnel when they have only been able to handle about 4K a week as a whole? Can’t get a positive test if you refuse to test anyone. The US as a whole is getting close to 1 case per every 300 in population. Seems like sports should take a back burner. Many athletes feel the same. 

You saying the MLB is predominantly American born athletes? Please cite your source for the fact the NHL has twice as many foreign born players or players that live outside the US. I’d love to see that. 

You can’t just triple for lack of testing if you aren’t testing the infection rate could be 100x higher and you wouldn’t know. Which is why we need more testing. 

Edited by daynlokki

7 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

You doubt that any players who play in Toronto live in Canada? That seems a bit of a stretch. Arizona has tested a combined 64,811 people. That just puts them 49th in the US for per capita testing. You assuming they are gonna be able to handle about 10k tests a week with all the players and personnel when they have only been able to handle about 4K a week as a whole? Can’t get a positive test if you refuse to test anyone. The US as a whole is getting close to 1 case per every 300 in population. Seems like sports should take a back burner. Many athletes feel the same. 

You saying the MLB is predominantly American born athletes? Please cite your source for the fact the NHL has twice as many foreign born players or players that live outside the US. I’d love to see that. 

You can’t just triple for lack of testing if you aren’t testing the infection rate could be 100x higher and you wouldn’t know. Which is why we need more testing. 

It took me 5 seconds to Google each sports foreign born players. I was also speaking in terms of percentages. It’s probably moot since my other five second google search told me the NHL is intensifying efforts to reopen. 

You can continue to talk about why you think baseball should not return, but there are myriad arguments such as low risk people being able to continue to do their jobs to reopen the economy and build herd immunity while protecting those most at risk. If cities will be repopulating their business offices in the coming months in major cities, with public restrooms, elevators and shared spaces, how is baseball not able to do so in a controlled environment with exceptionally more control, monitoring and oversight? 

• Like 1