meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

6 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Higher risk. Men are more likely to die from covid than women. Older people are also more likely to die than younger. The group most likely to die from covid right now are males above 60. That’s a lot of major league managers. 

You counting all the other people who work for the team such as assistants, 3rd and 1st base coaches, trainers, bench coaches, etc. Not to mention if the mlb starts up milb does too otherwise there is nobody to fill in for injuries so add up all those in that age range from there too. Just because it’s a minority, doesn’t mean it doesn’t matter. You think it’s ok to have a sacrifice of life just so people can play a game for our entertainment? I don’t care if it’s ONE person who is at severe risk. It’s not worth it then. Also, how many players and managers have underlying conditions? Mancini probably will have to be away from everyone after his diagnosis, what about carrasco? Any other players with diabetes? Bartolo Colon is a former professional athlete too. Like that even matters for how healthy you actually are after you retire. 

If someone is a severe risk, I really doubt they’ll be forced to participate. 

1 minute ago, TheForearmShiver said:

You should ask them. It’s their plan. I bet it came up in their meetings.

Unless in a few days they’re gonna be like,  “Oh **** dude...we got a team in Canada! What the hell do we do now? We had this whole big plan and forgot about the Blue Jays!”  

Yes it would totally be the first time the league hasn’t thought of everything. They haven’t even figured out compensation. Last reported they weren’t even close on it. 

2 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Weird the MLB thinks there will be a season yet they postponed the HOF ceremony until 2021. Could easily have done something from their homes. 

The whole cooperstown thing matters. Nobody wants to be inducted virtually when the option is to wait until it’s safe. 

1 minute ago, TheForearmShiver said:

If someone is a severe risk, I really doubt they’ll be forced to participate. 

Nobody can be forced to participate regardless. But the league hasn’t brought up any of this and until they do the questions have to be asked. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

The whole cooperstown thing matters. Nobody wants to be inducted virtually when the option is to wait until it’s safe. 

I’m sure the draft mattered to NFL players too. The point is they don’t feel safe enough to have the ceremony but feel safe enough to have a season?

Edited by daynlokki

4 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Nobody can be forced to participate regardless. But the league hasn’t brought up any of this and until they do the questions have to be asked. 

They haven’t brought it up to you. I’ll bet they’re talking to each other about it. 

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

I’m sure the draft mattered to NFL players too. The point is they don’t feel safe enough to have the ceremony but feel safe enough to have a season?

The draft is a complete non sequitur. There isn’t a league waiting for the hall of famers to play in this September. The draft needed to happen so the league could continue their offseason. It’s very possible that the HOF came to the inductees to get their opinions.

But maybe they didn’t think of that either. You must marvel at how baseball has made it this long without your guidance. 

Edited by TheForearmShiver

5 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

They haven’t brought it up to you. I’ll bet they’re talking to each other about it. 

Has it been reported it has been talked about or are you assuming that as well?  If they haven’t released anything then nobody knows so there is no reason to automatically assume you know what they are discussing. 

[ Might be "agree to disagree" time, guys. ]

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

The draft is a complete non sequitur. There isn’t a league waiting for the hall of famers to play in this September. The draft needed to happen so the league could continue their offseason. It’s very possible that the HOF came to the inductees to get their opinions.

But maybe they didn’t of that either. You must marvel at how baseball has made it this long without your guidance. 

So you’re gonna bring up the draft but not the actual point of the post that they feel fine having a season but somehow not safe having a ceremony? You can socially distance at both right? So why can’t they have the ceremony until 2021? 

Edited by daynlokki

22 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

So how are they gonna play in home stadiums if the US/Canada border is closed? Canada gonna sign off on people flying in and out every day for games?

That’s two months away lol. I’m sure they’re considering that, and have a contingency plan if border is still closed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, daynlokki said:

Has it been reported it has been talked about or are you assuming that as well?  If they haven’t released anything then nobody knows so there is no reason to automatically assume you know what they are discussing. 

Very little of what their plan is has been leaked to the press. They have officially unveiled nothing. So all we’re getting is boys and pieces from unnamed sources most of the time. 

Posted (edited)

[...]

On topic: this sounds much better than the Arizona/Florida plan. Guys could still live their lives/be with their families during home stands, and even though there wouldn't be fans at least they would be playing in regular ballparks.  

Edited by tonycpsu

3 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

So you’re gonna bring up the draft but not the actual point of the post that they feel fine having a season but somehow not safe having a ceremony? You can socially distance at both right? So why can’t they have the ceremony until 2021? 

I’ll take stab at this. One event involves a bunch of old timers attending, many of which are in poor health. This event will be no different whether its held in 2020 or 2021. The other ceremony has a direct purpose to populate the league for an upcoming season. I’m again assuming, but maybe Jeter and Larry Walker were cool with waiting a year for the ceremony to not risk the health of Tommy Lasorda and the like. 

6 minutes ago, KCTD25 said:

[...]

On topic: this sounds much better than the Arizona/Florida plan. Guys could still live their lives/be with their families during home stands, and even though there wouldn't be fans at least they would be playing in regular ballparks.  

It is an interesting, potentially fun idea. Could be fun for a year to see the Cubs and Sox or Mets and Yankees in the same division. 

[ Posts removed.  If you're just here to dunk on other members and have no interest in advancing a substantive conversation about the resumption of baseball, maybe go watch Netflix or something instead. ]

18 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

It is an interesting, potentially fun idea. Could be fun for a year to see the Cubs and Sox or Mets and Yankees in the same division. 

It would be cool. It would also make me feel better about all the pitchers I already drafted that would've been stuck in Arizona getting demolished under the other plan. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, KCTD25 said:

It would be cool. It would also make me feel better about all the pitchers I already drafted that would've been stuck in Arizona getting demolished under the other plan. 

Yeah. I was not looking forward to Sean Manaea pitching at elevation in heat for my dynasty league. Seems very likely to be 100% DH. 

Edited by TheForearmShiver

3 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Yeah. I was not looking forward to Sean Manaea pitching at elevation in heat for my dynasty league. Seems very likely to be 100% DH. 

Those Astros/Dodgers matchups should be fun. 

6 minutes ago, KCTD25 said:

Those Astros/Dodgers matchups should be fun. 

Dodgers will be seeing a lot more of Yordan Alvarez than they ever hoped for. 

23 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Dodgers will be seeing a lot more of Yordan Alvarez than they ever hoped for. 

Astros will be seeing a lot more high and tight fast balls then they ever hoped for 😉

• Haha 1

Braves and Cards being in the same division would be fun, some animosity built up after last year's playoff series.

For fantasy purposes, I am horrified to see how Yahoo will handle this scheduling wise and am genuinely concerned for the sanity of you NL/AL dynasty commishes in the event this comes to pass.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

That wasn't the point of my post.  My point is that if MLB players do NOT get "special" treatment for work visas under normal times why would they get special treatment to re-enter the US now during an epidemic when the borders are still closed.

1) As someone else mentioned, they should already have that lined up for normal circumstances.

2) Everybody in their right minds would love to have baseball back, even if they don't care about it personally.  It would be utterly absurd for the government to de facto cancel the MLB season on a bureaucratic sticking point. Both from a perspective of doing the right thing, and doing the popular thing.  And there will be no special interests opposing it either. We are still importing mountains of goods. We're not in some kind of siege. Why would anyone want to shut down a big industry over a trivial immigration issue? Again, what would be their motivation or reasoning?  (I don't buy, "people would be mad that they got tested.")

If people gave up on big projects because of little stumbling blocks like this, or a handful of managers being at risk (many of them have probably been exposed already and are gtg anyway) there wouldn't be a season even if the virus didn't exist.  Like, teams would refuse to play in cities with high crime rates. We'd have cancelled all major sports forever because they are good terrorist targets. 

While there are a number of real issues and I'm by no means certain a season will happen, these stumbling blocks you guys keep manufacturing have like 50 solutions.  IDK, maybe 12 managers are old out of shape guys.  Cancel the season!  How about, pay half their salaries or something and bring in someone else.  These things take like 9 seconds of thought and the people running the show are way smarter than me am. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

1) As someone else mentioned, they should already have that lined up for normal circumstances.

This is about the work visas.  And yes they should but they don't.  They certainly didn't this spring training when several MLB players couldn't get back into the US for weeks.