meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

Good gravy.

Complete this sentence, please.  

Over the objections of the public as well as powerful businessmen, the federal government would prevent an otherwise viable MLB season from happening over a few dozen visas and their reasoning or motivation would be____.

10 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

Good gravy.

Over the objections of the public as well as powerful businessmen, the federal government would prevent an otherwise viable MLB season from happening over a few dozen visas and their reasoning or motivation would be____.

that the rest of the economy is not open yet

12 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

Good gravy.

that none of the states in question have passed the three phases outlined in the federal plan which requires gating of 14 days between phases

I'm saying if the season is otherwise viable and the only thing preventing it is the visa issue. 

Just now, GamblorLA said:

I'm saying if the season is otherwise viable and the only thing preventing it is the visa issue. 

Sure thing...I think the safest plan to open up baseball for all involved is to use the federal guidelines and the state(s) hosting games would need to pass all three phases to begin a reduced 1-2 week spring training. It would require a minimum of 42 days of reduced cases ( 14 consecutive days each time ).

• Like 1

It appears Arizona cases are on the rise...

Florida cases appear to on the downward trend even with the largest elderly population. Tremendous job by state health in Florida to protect the vulnerable so far.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

This is about the work visas.  And yes they should but they don't.  They certainly didn't this spring training when several MLB players couldn't get back into the US for weeks.

I believe it was made clear that they already have their work visas - hence have their work authorization for the US. I’ve read that the border is closed for tourist and recreational travel. If someone has already had their Visa approved, it stands to reason that this is considered essential travel so they can work - similar to those on active H1B and L1 visas. Their visa was already approved for them to enter for Spring Training and has yet to expire. Most of these players are also not from the list of Asian and European banned countries - if that list is even in force anymore. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

For fantasy purposes, I am horrified to see how Yahoo will handle this scheduling wise and am genuinely concerned for the sanity of you NL/AL dynasty commishes in the event this comes to pass.

I don't see why it would impact AL or NL only leagues.

2 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

This is about the work visas.  And yes they should but they don't.  They certainly didn't this spring training when several MLB players couldn't get back into the US for weeks.

Were there players that hadn't shown up to ST yet, waiting on a visa?  

53 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

There wouldn’t be an AL or NL. 

3 hours ago, GamblorLA said:

Good gravy.

The chances of re-election. Trump is already taking a hit with unions using an executive order to reopen food processing plants and taking liability away from companies like Tyson for if someone gets sick for coming back to work. Not saying he made the wrong decision. If we do have a shortage that needs to be nipped in the bud. That said, opening up borders for foreigners during a pandemic so they can come from around 20 different countries could be a bad look, especially considering how many states will still be locked down. They’d be making special rules for the wealthy, and excluding the working class that is already protesting, all during an election year. Until the US government specifically says things should ramp up nationwide it’s a hard sell to say baseball players should be able to make millions playing a game while you have to fight for unemployment each week because their job is more essential than yours. 

58 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Seems pretty straight forward to me too. 

34 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

I'm sure the fantasy sites could just not change their coding so that the training AL & NL teams would remain that way for fantasy purposes.  Come on.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

Were there players that hadn't shown up to ST yet, waiting on a visa? 

Again you don't seem to be getting the point I am making.  I said IF MLB players aren't treated differently and shooed through the red tape in normal times why would they be now as in being exceptions to travel bans.  In other words the US government does NOT make exceptions for professional athletes being treated any differently than anyone else attempting to enter the US.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Again you don't seem to be reading what I said.  I said IF MLB players aren't treated differently and shooed through the red tape in normal times why would they be now as in being exceptions to travel bans.  In other words the US government does NOT make exceptions for professional athletes being treated any differently than anyone else attempting to enter the US.

Because, in your scenario, the MLB season would depend upon it.

13 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

Well it wouldn’t fully depend on it. Think it’ll just end up anyone without a visa won’t play in that case most likely. They’d rather do that then give special treatment. 

36 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Again you don't seem to be getting the point I am making.  I said IF MLB players aren't treated differently and shooed through the red tape in normal times why would they be now as in being exceptions to travel bans.  In other words the US government does NOT make exceptions for professional athletes being treated any differently than anyone else attempting to enter the US.

I didn't understand the point you were trying to make.  We're arguing different points here.

9 hours ago, GamblorLA said:

Good gravy.

that people could die.  

Really that simple bud.  

7 hours ago, 89Topps said:

If there's three divisions, all mixed with current AL and NL teams that only play each other?

5 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I made the point earlier but it seems to have been missed. The US borders were closed to tourist and recreational travel. I can see no language that states authorized non-expired work visas are being blocked. MLB players were already issued their P-1 visas and should have no trouble coming into the US to work. This is probably not a concern to MLB because it’s not an issue. It’s only been made an issue here because daynlokki said they can’t travel *back into the US to continue their work sponsorship* which no evidence has been shown to say that’s even a true issue. Please find me something that says sponsored workers are being blocked from returning to the US for work. Or that the MLB is faced with the challenge of getting their international players back into the US. It’s a non-issue. Baseball is their job, not a vacation. Therefore the travel is authorized. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

If there's three divisions, all mixed with current AL and NL teams that only play each other?

Only problem I see is that NL only leagues get impacted because they now have something like 15 extra guys gaining every day at bats as DH’s. Technically AL and NL only leagues can just keep their old guidelines for player pools only being based on the usual 2 league structure and ignore that real baseball is split differently. Especially if they already drafted as such. If you haven’t already drafted, might just make sense to combine all 30 teams for the season for simplicity’s sake. 

Just now, TheForearmShiver said:

Only problem I see is that NL only leagues get impacted because they now have something like 15 extra guys gaining every day at bats as DH’s. Technically AL and NL only leagues can just keep their old guidelines for player pools only being based on the usual 2 league structure and ignore that real baseball is split differently. Especially if they already drafted as such. If you haven’t already drafted, might just make sense to combine all 30 teams for the season for simplicity’s sake. 

For redrafts sure.  For dynasty AL/NL only? 

6 hours ago, daynlokki said:

6 hours ago, tucker26 said:

Seems pretty straight forward to me too. 

It would be no different than essentially a full season of “interleague play.”

Because there’s no AL/NL in this scenario doesn’t mean we somehow forget, and Yahoo/ESPN forgets, who are the AL/NL teams.

Of you’re in an NL only league, you draft only NL players and get only their stats.

Agree with @89Topps here. I don’t understand the struggle one bit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

It would be no different than essentially a full season of “interleague play.”

Because there’s no AL/NL in this scenario doesn’t mean we somehow forget, and Yahoo/ESPN forgets, who are the AL/NL teams.

Of you’re in an NL only league, you draft only NL players and get only their stats.

Agree with @89Topps here. I don’t understand the struggle one bit.

That makes sense.

I was mostly just having fun at Yahoo's expense with their notorious issues with updates with my OP.  Didn't mean for this to evolve into a serious discussion but then got roped in.  Carry on.

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, GamblorLA said:

When did I ever say that?  My OP was in regards to some comments implying that the US gov't or current administration would just wave away any re-entry red tape because they were MLB players.  My POINT was that that is not how it works.

6 hours ago, 89Topps said:

I didn't understand the point you were trying to make.  We're arguing different points here.

Yep.  That was ll it was.

42 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

I made the point earlier but it seems to have been missed. The US borders were closed to tourist and recreational travel. I can see no language that states authorized non-expired work visas are being blocked. MLB players were already issued their P-1 visas and should have no trouble coming into the US to work. This is probably not a concern to MLB because it’s not an issue. It’s only been made an issue here because daynlokki said they can’t travel *back into the US to continue their work sponsorship* which no evidence has been shown to say that’s even a true issue. Please find me something that says sponsored workers are being blocked from returning to the US for work. Or that the MLB is faced with the challenge of getting their international players back into the US. It’s a non-issue. Baseball is their job, not a vacation. Therefore the travel is authorized. 

Well I thought I read that people with current valid Green Cards are now being barred from entry after the latest Trump travel ban stuff this past week was it so if Green Card holders can't enter I doubt if mere work visa people would be allowed in.  Not that Trump won't change his mind a dozen more times by the end of the week.

And again I am NOT saying visa problems would hold up a season.  I am just saying ball players won't get a magic wave through just because they are ball players or because MLB has some insider track with the current administration.  

MLB doesn't have that much clout.  They were mad as hell when Trump turned back the reforms regards the new relationship with Cuba because they wanted Cuban players to enter quickly and legally.  They had a deal in place with the Cuban government and it all got scuttled when Trump turned back the clock.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory