meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

Recommended Posts

Just now, The Big Bat Theory said:

Well I thought I read that people with current valid Green Cards are now being barred from entry after the latest Trump travel ban stuff this past week was it so if Green Card holders can't enter I doubt if mere work visa people would be allowed in.  Not that Trump won't change his mind a dozen more times by the end of the week.

Nope.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/covid-19-president-halts-immigrant-visa-admissions-sixty-days

Are there any exceptions to the 60-day suspension for people with immigrant visas?

Yes.  Those who have or obtain valid immigrant visas in their passports as of today will still be admitted.  Those who have, or later obtain, other types of valid immigrant travel documents – such as permanent resident cards (“green cards”), advance paroles, boarding foils or transportation letters – will also be admitted during the 60-day suspension period.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

When did I ever say that?  My OP was in regards to some comments implying that the US gov't or current administration would just wave away any re-entry red tape because they were MLB players.  My POINT was that that is not how it works.

Yep.  That was ll it was.

Well I thought I read that people with current valid Green Cards are now being barred from entry after the latest Trump travel ban stuff this past week was it so if Green Card holders can't enter I doubt if mere work visa people would be allowed in.  Not that Trump won't change his mind a dozen more times by the end of the week.

And again I am NOT saying visa problems would hold up a season.  I am just saying ball players won't get a magic wave through just because they are ball players or because MLB has some insider track with the current administration.  

MLB doesn't have that much clout.  They were mad as hell when Trump turned back the reforms regards the new relationship with Cuba because they wanted Cuban players to enter quickly and legally.  They had a deal in place with the Cuban government and it all got scuttled when Trump turned back the clock.

It’s all here. I believe they would be covered under section 2. As far as I can tell the border is closed to all aliens without proper travel documents.  It’s being treated here as if the border is closed to anyone, and that does not appear to be the case at all.

 

https://www.whitehouse.gov/presidential-actions/proclamation-suspending-entry-immigrants-present-risk-u-s-labor-market-economic-recovery-following-covid-19-outbreak/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

If there's three divisions, all mixed with current AL and NL teams that only play each other?

 

The fantasy sites would have to change their coding for anything to get screwed up.  Change nothing, and the platform doesn't know the difference.  It's not any different than an interleague game.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Nope.

https://www.natlawreview.com/article/covid-19-president-halts-immigrant-visa-admissions-sixty-days

Are there any exceptions to the 60-day suspension for people with immigrant visas?

Yes.  Those who have or obtain valid immigrant visas in their passports as of today will still be admitted.  Those who have, or later obtain, other types of valid immigrant travel documents – such as permanent resident cards (“green cards”), advance paroles, boarding foils or transportation letters – will also be admitted during the 60-day suspension period.

So exactly how are they supposed to apply during the suspension period when you need to apply at a US consulate and they are all closed?

 

From your citation: Yes.  The proclamation has no effect whatsoever on the admission of people who hold temporary nonimmigrant visas, such as B-1/B-2, E-1 and E-2, F-1, H-1B, L-1, O-1, P-1, and TN visas.  Although US consular posts worldwide are still closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, these nonimmigrants may also still apply for and obtain these nonimmigrant visas in their passports if consulates reopen during the 60‑day suspension period.

Edited by daynlokki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

So exactly how are they supposed to apply during the suspension period when you need to apply at a US consulate and they are all closed?

 

From your citation: Yes.  The proclamation has no effect whatsoever on the admission of people who hold temporary nonimmigrant visas, such as B-1/B-2, E-1 and E-2, F-1, H-1B, L-1, O-1, P-1, and TN visas.  Although US consular posts worldwide are still closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, these nonimmigrants may also still apply for and obtain these nonimmigrant visas in their passports if consulates reopen during the 60‑day suspension period.

Why would they apply?  They were granted for spring and the season wasn't cancelled.  P1s are good for the length of the season.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Why would they apply?  They were granted for spring and the season wasn't cancelled.  P1s are good for the length of the season.

Not everyone’s was granted were they? Remember some players having issues with getting to ST. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, daynlokki said:

Not everyone’s was granted were they? Remember some players having issues with getting to ST. 

Everyone who was in the country already was.  I don't see this being a significant issue.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Everyone who was in the country already was.  I don't see this being a significant issue.

Second issue, how you gonna play in states that don’t deem MLB essential and have already said there won’t be anything like sports until 2021? Seattle isn’t opening up anytime soon. LA either. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/sports-illustrated/2020/04/15/la-mayor-garcetti-sports-2021-coronavirus

Edited by daynlokki

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Everyone who was in the country already was.  I don't see this being a significant issue.

It’s a significant issue for anyone who didn’t already get in the country wouldn’t you say?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, daynlokki said:

Second issue, how you gonna play in states that don’t deem MLB essential and have already said there won’t be anything like sports until 2021? Seattle isn’t opening up anytime soon. LA either. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/sports-illustrated/2020/04/15/la-mayor-garcetti-sports-2021-coronavirus

No idea.

I think there's little doubt we won't see full stadiums for sporting events or concerts or anything like that until 2021.

What I see as more comparable to sporting events with no fans is large office buildings in major metropolitan areas.  In GA, some of the malls are opening on Friday for instance.

I think that our rate of infection and in other states like Texas for instance opening on Friday might inform how other civic leaders respond.

There are a ton of unknown variables, and I'll expect that we'll have more data points in real time that inform these decisions in the coming weeks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

It’s a significant issue for anyone who didn’t already get in the country wouldn’t you say?

Like who?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Second issue, how you gonna play in states that don’t deem MLB essential and have already said there won’t be anything like sports until 2021? Seattle isn’t opening up anytime soon. LA either. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/sports-illustrated/2020/04/15/la-mayor-garcetti-sports-2021-coronavirus

I have a feeling that they are working on a three division plan so they can start the East in Florida, Central in Texas and West in Arizona. It hasn’t been announced that way anywhere but it seems to align with their plan. Have 10 teams in each state to lessen each state’s burden and move them home if and when the other states are all phased back in to allow fan-less games. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

No idea.

I think there's little doubt we won't see full stadiums for sporting events or concerts or anything like that until 2021.

What I see as more comparable to sporting events with no fans is large office buildings in major metropolitan areas.  In GA, some of the malls are opening on Friday for instance.

I think that our rate of infection and in other states like Texas for instance opening on Friday might inform how other civic leaders respond.

There are a ton of unknown variables, and I'll expect that we'll have more data points in real time that inform these decisions in the coming weeks.

Seattle still currently wouldn’t allow it without fans. If that SI thing about LA is true either will they. Death in Georgia is supposed to peak late May now at around 100 per day after reopening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheForearmShiver said:

I have a feeling that they are working on a three division plan so they can start the East in Florida, Central in Texas and West in Arizona. It hasn’t been announced that way anywhere but it seems to align with their plan. Have 10 teams in each state to lessen each state’s burden and move them home if and when the other states are all phased back in to allow fan-less games. 

Keep bringing up Arizona but they aren’t testing. Either is Texas. Both in the bottom 5 for per capita testing. Are they not testing because they don’t actually have cases or are they not testing to make it seem like their cases are lower to change the perception of the pandemic to the regular working class people? Also, even in the three state idea you have players like Trout wouldn’t want to do it. He already called the Arizona idea crazy as he didn’t want to leave his family. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheForearmShiver said:

I have a feeling that they are working on a three division plan so they can start the East in Florida, Central in Texas and West in Arizona. It hasn’t been announced that way anywhere but it seems to align with their plan. Have 10 teams in each state to lessen each state’s burden and move them home if and when the other states are all phased back in to allow fan-less games. 

That's another possibility.

Personally, I think it makes more sense to try and poke holes in these plans when they're discussing them for a vote.  I get that there are a lot of potential pitfalls, I think we all do, but there are just so many unknown variables when it comes to public health right now that should become more clear in a week or two, and all we're really doing here is kind of going in circles with people who are optimistic citing articles with kind of vague discussions about reasons for optimism from people who are close to the sports and potential ideas, and people who are negative about the idea floating likewise vague concerns that may or may not have any basis in fact.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Second issue, how you gonna play in states that don’t deem MLB essential and have already said there won’t be anything like sports until 2021? Seattle isn’t opening up anytime soon. LA either. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.si.com/.amp/sports-illustrated/2020/04/15/la-mayor-garcetti-sports-2021-coronavirus

This is from 2 weeks ago. LA said they would entertain fanless baseball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, duke of queens said:

This is from 2 weeks ago. LA said they would entertain fanless baseball.

Citation?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Seattle still currently wouldn’t allow it without fans.

We're talking about a timeframe that could be as late as July 4th, if not later on in the season in Seattle if they play in ancillary facilities in the meantime.

Applying facts on the ground on April 28th doesn't have a whole lot of bearing when things are moving as quickly as they have during this pandemic.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

We're talking about a timeframe that could be as late as July 4th, if not later on in the season in Seattle if they play in ancillary facilities in the meantime.

Applying facts on the ground on April 28th doesn't have a whole lot of bearing when things are moving as quickly as they have during this pandemic.

Only facts we have are current facts. Washington is about to extend the stay at home order. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, daynlokki said:

Keep bringing up Arizona but they aren’t testing. Either is Texas. Both in the bottom 5 for per capita testing. Are they not testing because they don’t actually have cases or are they not testing to make it seem like their cases are lower to change the perception of the pandemic to the regular working class people? Also, even in the three state idea you have players like Trout wouldn’t want to do it. He already called the Arizona idea crazy as he didn’t want to leave his family. 

He called it crazy like a month ago when he thought the players would have to be completely isolated for 4-5 months. That’s pretty much been debunked as a possible plan so It’s possible he’s on board with them initiating another plan that doesn’t involve full out isolation at a time when the curve will be back to the bottom.  He’s also probably posturing to help get the players the biggest chunk of their salary as they can get. It does him no benefit - or any player for that matter - to just go along with the plan until their salary situation is negotiated. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, daynlokki said:

Only facts we have are current facts. Washington is about to extend the stay at home order. 

They *could* past May 4th.

https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/inslee-could-extend-washingtons-stay-home-order-past-may-4

To what time frame?  Who knows.

Will enough people get sick here in GA and in TX to make other govenors do an "about face" or will it be so few that they decide to open up too?  Who knows.

What exactly is the point of endlessly moving the goalposts on your reason for cynicism about a baseball season?  Who knows.

Why am I still responding?  Who knows.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

He called it crazy like a month ago when he thought the players would have to be completely isolated for 4-5 months. That’s pretty much been debunked as a possible plan so It’s possible he’s on board with them initiating another plan that doesn’t involve full out isolation at a time when the curve will be back to the bottom.  He’s also probably posturing to help get the players the biggest chunk of their salary as they can get. It does him no benefit - or any player for that matter - to just go along with the plan until their salary situation is negotiated. 

Which absolutely no plan can even be finished until after that occurs. Many industry sources say they are far apart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Only facts we have are current facts. Washington is about to extend the stay at home order. 

Have you actually looked at the Washington COVID curve lately? Google “Washington COVID Numbers” as I cant share a link. It’s been on a strong downward curve since the beginning of April. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, daynlokki said:

Which absolutely no plan can even be finished until after that occurs. Many industry sources say they are far apart. 

That’s how the media will always portray negotiations. They’re far apart until they’re not. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.