meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

They *could* past May 4th.

https://komonews.com/news/coronavirus/inslee-could-extend-washingtons-stay-home-order-past-may-4

To what time frame?  Who knows.

Will enough people get sick here in GA and in TX to make other govenors do an "about face" or will it be so few that they decide to open up too?  Who knows.

What exactly is the point of endlessly moving the goalposts on your reason for cynicism about a baseball season?  Who knows.

Why am I still responding?  Who knows.

I said Washington hasn’t relaxed their stay at home and we’re about to extend. He’s not opening up. You’d know that if you lived in Washington. They are part of a coalition with California, Oregon, Colorado and Nevada. None of them have discussed opening. 

This is the only discussion where Trout would be discussed as if he was similar to every other baseball player.

2 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Have you actually looked at the Washington COVID curve lately? Google “Washington COVID Numbers” as I cant share a link. It’s been on a strong downward curve since the beginning of April. 

Washington is grossly under testing. Under current state guidelines if you have pneumonia you are considered a mild case and are sent home unless it progresses. If it does you can be tested. 

1 minute ago, daynlokki said:

I said Washington hasn’t relaxed their stay at home and we’re about to extend. He’s not opening up. You’d know that if you lived in Washington. They are part of a coalition with California, Oregon, Colorado and Nevada. None of them have discussed opening. 

I thought Colorado was opening up...at least a slow reopen

Just now, daynlokki said:

Kemp didn't "discuss it" here in GA until April 20th, and then they opened on the 24th.

Ferris Buellers Day Off Movie Quotes GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Let’s put Washington into perspective. Clark county where I live has a total of 313 confirmed cases and 18 deaths. My bosses parents don’t count towards the deaths as they were turned away from the ER with mild pneumonia and died a week later. No testing done. During the early parts of covid they would only test f you had direct contact with someone who already had a positive covid test. Still next to impossible to get one. 

Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

Kemp didn't "discuss it" here in GA until April 20th, and then they opened on the 24th.

Ferris Buellers Day Off Movie Quotes GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Stores in my county are just now enforcing wearing a mask. People in the state have been breaking stay at home orders to have car cruises and parties. 

3 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

I thought Colorado was opening up...at least a slow reopen

They just extended the stay at home order to May 8th and have cited around 23 Denver businesses for breaking it. 

Stores in my county are just now enforcing wearing a mask. People in the state have been breaking stay at home orders to have car cruises and parties. 

People are idiots.  That's definitely unlikely to change.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

They just extended the stay at home order to May 8th and have cited around 23 Denver businesses for breaking it. 

Ah...Polis’ loosening of restrictions doesn’t apply in Denver, Adams, Arapahoe, Jefferson and Boulder counties, where local authorities have extended stay-home orders through May 8. 

44 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Not everyone’s was granted were they? Remember some players having issues with getting to ST. 

Were there still players waiting on work visas by the time ST closed?  I honestly don't know, but I don't remember hearing anything about any significant number of players that missed all of ST waiting on a work visa.

As it stands today, I believe the only state that has a stay at home order that extends past May 30th is Virginia at June 10th, and it sounds like Northam has given himself the ability to rescind it before that date.

https://fortune.com/2020/04/28/stay-at-home-shutdown-business-open-coronavirus/

I don't think anyone in their wildest dreams is still expecting baseball games in May.  We're talking about June or July.

We just have to hold our breath and hope folks, and not just for a baseball season. 

Stay safe out there.  Wash your hands, wear your masks, do what the public health officials are telling you to.

3 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Were there still players waiting on work visas by the time ST closed?  I honestly don't know, but I don't remember hearing anything about any significant number of players that missed all of ST waiting on a work visa.

And if that's still an issue by the time they open up, how is that any different than how it was during ST?  Those players were going to miss time then, and it wasn't going to halt the season.

2 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

And if that's still an issue by the time they open up, how is that any different than how it was during ST?  Those players were going to miss time then, and it wasn't going to halt the season.

Those players were going to miss ST time, now they have no chance to get their Visas. Consulates are closed 

Those players were going to miss ST time, now they have no chance to get their Visas. Consulates are closed 

Which players?

2 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Again, if these people even exist. 

Just now, TheForearmShiver said:

Again, if these people even exist. 

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Which players?

There are players every year with visa issues. This the one year they all magically disappeared. Come on guys. That’s a strawman argument at best. We all know visa issues are pretty commonplace. 

There are players every year with visa issues. This the one year they all magically disappeared. Come on guys. That’s a strawman argument at best. We all know visa issues are pretty commonplace. 

LOL, the "strawman" here appears to be these players who you are citing who still haven't applied for visas that appear in your mind to be a hindrance to the season starting that you can't name.

Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

LOL, the "strawman" here appears to be these players who you are citing who still haven't applied for visas that appear in your mind to be a hindrance to the season starting that you can't name.

So you’re saying nobody was having visa issues in spring training despite it happening every year? Seems like a great argument. Done with you man if that’s your take you just don’t know baseball. 

So you’re saying nobody was having visa issues in spring training despite it happening every year? Seems like a great argument. Done with you man if that’s your take you just don’t know baseball. 

That's fine, there's not even really a discussion to be had here anyway if we're not discussing real life examples but rather some sort of conceptual idea.

13 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

You were asked which players. You’ve listed zero. You don’t get to guess and assume. Let us know when there’s players you’re aware of that this will be a problem for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

That's fine, there's not even really a discussion to be had here anyway if we're not discussing real life examples but rather some sort of conceptual idea.

If there were visa issues, it’s likely they were resolved as there was a whole month of spring training for them to be resolved. If there is no evidence of players with lingering visa issues, it’s fair to conclude there are no lingering visa issues. For fantasy purposes, no players of any relevance come to mind.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
Just now, TheForearmShiver said:

If there were visa issues, it’s likely they were resolved as there was a whole month of spring training for them to be resolved. If there is no evidence of players with lingering visa issues, it’s fair to conclude there are no lingering visa issues. For fantasy purposes, no players of any relevance come to mind.  

Honestly, I can't think of any players who were still in their country of origin at the time spring training was postponed back in March because they hadn't applied for visas this year who were signed to major league contracts and expected to be starters for their clubs.

Puig is a guy I could think of this potentially being an issue?  Not sure about his visa status since he hadn't signed yet.  But I suspect we're not going to hold off on the season until Yasiel Puig gets his visa.

Edited by JE7HorseGod

35 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

There was a full month of ST.  I'm asking if there were players still waiting on visas.  I don't know much about this topic.  Is it common for players to miss an entire month of ST waiting on a visa?  Is this any significant number of players?  Any actual MLB players?

I can't find anything on this online.  You seem to think this is an issue, so I'm asking you for details.

I got one.  Fernando Romero.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/twins-fernando-romero-placed-on-restricted-list/

I am not sure about where Fernando was in the process, perhaps he "submitted" his visa prior to April 20 and it was held up on other complications and so he wouldn't be subject to new restrictions.

In any event, does anyone else think we're not playing baseball for things like this?

Can we move on?

• Like 1