meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

26 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

There are players every year with visa issues. This the one year they all magically disappeared. Come on guys. That’s a strawman argument at best. We all know visa issues are pretty commonplace. 

Visa issues happen from time to time but I wouldn't call them commonplace. In years of playing fantasy baseball I can't think of a player who was ever banned from the US or Canada for any significant amount of time due to a visa issue. Not saying it hasn't happened, just saying it's not commonplace. Usually it's days before these things get ironed out. 

If we do get to a point this year where baseball, owners, players and the states are all in alignment to reboot baseball I highly doubt Immigration is going to say "Hold Up! You can't play.  There are some players with expired visas." That doesn't seem like a realistic scenario to me.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I got one.  Fernando Romero.

https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/baseball/news/twins-fernando-romero-placed-on-restricted-list/

I am not sure about where Fernando was in the process, perhaps he "submitted" his visa prior to April 20 and it was held up on other complications and so he wouldn't be subject to new restrictions.

In any event, does anyone else think we're not playing baseball for things like this?

Can we move on?

Did I ever say baseball would STOP for them? Once again you are trying to make my argument something it isn’t. I said that it’s one of a myriad of problems the MLB has to figure out to even have a chance to reopen. The fact they haven’t even figured out compensation while the players believe the agreements already signed ARE a compensation agreement is a huge stumbling block. Why are you even discussing the league reopening until they work that out? Can’t be a league without the players and you constantly gloss over that for the overarching opinion that the league is opening in two months. All that despite there still being a need for a ST warmup, states have to open, tests need to be available and aren’t. You honestly think June or July is far enough away to get past all the blocks to starting a league year?

1 hour ago, fletch44 said:

Visa issues happen from time to time but I wouldn't call them commonplace. In years of playing fantasy baseball I can't think of a player who was ever banned from the US or Canada for any significant amount of time due to a visa issue. Not saying it hasn't happened, just saying it's not commonplace. Usually it's days before these things get ironed out. 

If we do get to a point this year where baseball, owners, players and the states are all in alignment to reboot baseball I highly doubt Immigration is going to say "Hold Up! You can't play.  There are some players with expired visas." That doesn't seem like a realistic scenario to me.

Jung Ho Kang off the top of my head. 

• Haha 1

Just now, daynlokki said:

Why are you even discussing the league reopening until they work that out?

Because beat writers, players, managers, agents, public health and government officials and the commissioner are, and that's what this thread is for?

Dude, I can't even begin to count how many times on this thread and the other that you've floated a trial balloon theory on your latest piece of cynicism, been proven wrong, and then pivoted the argument rather than just admitting that you kinda made it up and that you don't know what's going to happen.

You said you were done with me, great, be done.  Let's say you don't think it's going to happen and agree to disagree and please stop responding to me.  Your line has been drawn in the sane and your self esteem is somehow weighted to "no baseball."  I don't know what's going to happen, but I'm hopeful and I see signs are others too.  If you can't handle that let's just part ways here.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

His visa was revoked because of a DUI or sexual assault (can't remember if it was one or both).  Players who have their visa revoked due to criminal activity are going to have a hard time getting them renewed with or without COVID. I don't think anybody is going to be too hung up on whether people like Kang can get back into the country and I don't think situations like his impact if or when baseball starts.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fletch44 said:

His visa was revoked because of a DUI or sexual assault (can't remember if it was one or both).  Players who have their visa revoked due to criminal activity are going to have a hard time getting them renewed with or without COVID. I don't think anybody is going to be too hung up on whether people like Kang can get back into the country and I don't think situations like his impact if or when baseball starts.

That’s the one off the top of my head. Pretty sure there are others. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, daynlokki said:

Jung Ho Kang?  Really dude? 😂

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, daynlokki said:

Citation?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Because beat writers, players, managers, agents, public health and government officials and the commissioner are, and that's what this thread is for?

Dude, I can't even begin to count how many times on this thread and the other that you've floated a trial balloon theory on your latest piece of cynicism, been proven wrong, and then pivoted the argument rather than just admitting that you kinda made it up and that you don't know what's going to happen.

You said you were done with me, great, be done.  Let's say you don't think it's going to happen and agree to disagree and please stop responding to me.  Your line has been drawn in the sane and your self esteem is somehow weighted to "no baseball."  I don't know what's going to happen, but I'm hopeful and I see signs are others too.  If you can't handle that let's just part ways here.

Once again you choose to flame instead of actually trying to refute any points. Cut everything I said into one singular sentence because your only argument is if the league is talking about it, then it must be happening. Watch next month it’ll be floated baseball in August and you will come up with the same talking points. Notice the date keeps getting moved back? That’s because they can’t get anything done yet. They’ve had over a month to work out possible compensation for the league to start. They’ve gone NOWHERE. Without that nothing else matters the league won’t start. 

Just now, daynlokki said:

Let me put in plain and simple. A couple of work visa issues is not going to affect the start of baseball, so it is not a problem or an issue. Your pessimism is brutal. Not what anyone needs right now.

• Like 1

[ Let's close the book on the visa speculation until there's a credible source saying that it will be an issue. ]

EDIT: More posts removed.  This derail is over.

July 4th baseball will be back with Trump taking credit for getting Merica back on its feet.

10 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

A lot has changed in the last week. One week old links aren’t worth much these days unfortunately, as things change quickly. Passan says there WILL be a season, and most seem to agree. 

2 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

A lot has changed in the last week. One week old links aren’t worth much these days unfortunately, as things change quickly. Passan says there WILL be a season, and most seem to agree. 

The post isn't saying there won't be a season, it's saying the union should walk away from the existing agreement.  That doesn't mean they don't accept a revised agreement that's more favorable to their interests.

15 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

An article written a month ago? Reaching. 

April 22nd is a month ago?

6 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

The post isn't saying there won't be a season, it's saying the union should walk away from the existing agreement.  That doesn't mean they don't accept a revised agreement that's more favorable to their interests.

The players have all the control here and for both sides to not come to an agreement if there is play without fans is greed from both sides.

10 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

I certainly wouldn't put it past baseball to let a labor dispute hinder play, facts are in evidence.

That said, it seems to me that '95-'98 proved that the nuclear option was bad for everyone involved.  And there seems to be motivation aplenty for both sides to find common ground, while certainly the players union has leverage to get a better deal in that they can sit out and not risk their health, they'd also be walking away from prorata salaries and everyone from potentially lucrative new TV deals, like the new playoff TV rights that are expiring with Turner.  

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

April 22nd is a month ago?

Meant a week ago. Was just joining a conference call from work when I was typing this. Point being a lot happens in a week with this stuff. A lot that we aren’t privy to. 

Edited by TheForearmShiver

12 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Meant a week ago. Was just joining a conference call from work when I was typing this. Point being a lot happens in a week with this stuff. A lot that we aren’t privy to. 

Did you even read the article or are you assuming it’s content? Read what @tonycpsu has already said about it. 

Posted (edited)

No MiLB this season. Instead, expanded rosters.

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2020/4/29/21242000/sources-no-minor-league-baseball-in-2020-mlb-expanding-rosters-instead

And:

“Expecting to report in the next three weeks,” one source said via text message. “We’re expecting the season to start in June.”

Edited by Backdoor Slider
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

No MiLB this season. Instead, expanded rosters.

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2020/4/29/21242000/sources-no-minor-league-baseball-in-2020-mlb-expanding-rosters-instead

And:

“Expecting to report in the next three weeks,” one source said via text message. “We’re expecting the season to start in June.”

Interesting. I wonder what that means for guys like Wander Franco. On one hand they probably don't want to start his clock yet, but on the other hand they don't just want him sitting at home wasting potential development time. I guess teams could just wait and put guys in the subsequent developmental league they mention in the article too, but who knows when that will happen. (Franco's on my bench so I might be a little biased on what they should do with him in particular). 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, KCTD25 said:

Interesting. I wonder what that means for guys like Wander Franco. On one hand they probably don't want to start his clock yet, but on the other hand they don't just want him sitting at home wasting potential development time. I guess teams could just wait and put guys in the subsequent developmental league they mention in the article too, but who knows when that will happen. (Franco's on my bench so I might be a little biased on what they should do with him in particular). 

With the service time agreement I don’t see any top prospects being up for small market teams without a big league deal.