meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

Posted (edited)
On 4/29/2020 at 2:51 PM, Backdoor Slider said:

A lot has changed in the last week. One week old links aren’t worth much these days unfortunately, as things change quickly. Passan says there WILL be a season, and most seem to agree. 

I sure hope you are right but I don’t put any stock in Jeff Passen. 

Did you see this ... Anthony Fauci 

https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/anthony-fauci-sports-might-not-happen-this-year/

Major League Baseball may be plotting a return, but Dr. Anthony Fauci has some bad news for everyone hoping for team sports to return.

Fauci, the infectious disease expert who’s a part of the White House’s coronavirus task force, says that without widespread testing and quick results, sports may be sidelined for the duration of 2020. “Safety, for the players and for the fans, trumps everything,” Fauci told the New York Times. “If you can’t guarantee safety, then unfortunately you’re going to have to bite the bullet and say, ‘We may have to go without this sport for this season.’”

I just don’t see us having baseball this year. [....]

Edited by tonycpsu

I still have hope for a season, but the news lately in general has not been good. I'm reading about furloughs, layoffs, delaying HOF ceremonies and the like RE: MLB over the last few days. This is going in the wrong direction at present.

I commish two leagues and told them on Apr 2 we need to make a decision on what to do league-wise by June (a few options are on the table, including a 1-year keeper option in these re-drafts). That still seems right to me. If there's nothing new by mid-late May it's time to fold up the tent imo and set sights for 2021. 

Hate saying it but that's reality AFAIC.

6 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I still have hope for a season, but the news lately in general has not been good. I'm reading about furloughs, layoffs, delaying HOF ceremonies and the like RE: MLB over the last few days. This is going in the wrong direction at present.

I commish two leagues and told them on Apr 2 we need to make a decision on what to do league-wise by June (a few options are on the table, including a 1-year keeper option in these re-drafts). That still seems right to me. If there's nothing new by mid-late May it's time to fold up the tent imo and set sights for 2021. 

Hate saying it but that's reality AFAIC.

yup. almost May. No plan in place, no union agreement, no spring training part duex in place, nothing. MLB sh@@&$@ the bed, when in all reality, they COULD do something special. The fear runs deep fellas. Seriously need to hear some news the next week or two or kiss 💋 it goodbye. Nfl next? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I sure hope you are right but I don’t put any stock in Jeff Passen. 

Did you see this ... Anthony Fauci 

https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/anthony-fauci-sports-might-not-happen-this-year/

Major League Baseball may be plotting a return, but Dr. Anthony Fauci has some bad news for everyone hoping for team sports to return.

Fauci, the infectious disease expert who’s a part of the White House’s coronavirus task force, says that without widespread testing and quick results, sports may be sidelined for the duration of 2020. “Safety, for the players and for the fans, trumps everything,” Fauci told the New York Times. “If you can’t guarantee safety, then unfortunately you’re going to have to bite the bullet and say, ‘We may have to go without this sport for this season.’”

I just don’t see us having baseball this year. Get real guys 

Fauci just said a few days ago he could see baseball back this year - possibly with fans. Not sure this article is the be all end all. Doesn’t jibe with what he literally just said a few days ago. 

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2020/04/24/dr-fauci-on-baseballs-return-fan-less-games-can-happen-fan-attended-games-are-a-maybe/

Just now, Whitecloud0101 said:

yup. almost May. No plan in place, no union agreement, no spring training part duex in place, nothing. MLB sh@@&$@ the bed, when in all reality, they COULD do something special. The fear runs deep fellas. Seriously need to hear some news the next week or two or kiss 💋 it goodbye. Nfl next? 

Yeah commish two of those as well - it was an empty feeling renewing those leagues at a record early date on Y!

I don't commish for my health - I do so because I love the F out of these sports. This hurts - bad. I'd be watching and complaining about my baseball team RIGHT NOW in a different thread instead of this BS.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Fauci just said a few days ago he could see baseball back this year - possibly with fans. Not sure this article is the be all end all. Doesn’t jibe with what he literally just said a few days ago. 

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2020/04/24/dr-fauci-on-baseballs-return-fan-less-games-can-happen-fan-attended-games-are-a-maybe/

So is your article the be all? Your article is old. Things change daily ..  

10 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

This sh*# is frustrating I freaking hate it... corona took away everything I love. 

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

This sh*# is frustrating I freaking hate it... corona took away everything I love. 

Yea man, I feel ya...2020 who woulda thought. Life is challenging enough without having the escape that many of us absolutely love-sports, our teams, and FANTASY SQUADS! lol, but super depressing...

14 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

So is your article the be all? Your article is old. Things change daily ..  

It’s not a contest. I’m just saying it may be a little out of context considering he just said he could envision fans at games a few days ago. Who knows. 

• Like 1

Fauci's point about widespread testing is obviously valid, but I think if MLB can finalize a plan and put it in place by late May they have a good chance. A lot can change in a month too. Just look at how far we have come since mid March. Supposedly MLB officials are "near certain" there will be a season, so there's a lot of positive momentum. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, KCTD25 said:

Fauci's point about widespread testing is obviously valid, but I think if MLB can finalize a plan and put it in place by late May they have a good chance. A lot can change in a month too. Just look at how far we have come since mid March. Supposedly MLB officials are "near certain" there will be a season, so there's a lot of positive momentum. 

That is my timetable as a commish - need to see that.

2 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

It’s not a contest. I’m just saying it may be a little out of context considering he just said he could envision fans at games a few days ago. Who knows. 

You flip flop on things so much. I make a post from last week and things can change so much in that time. You do the same thing and it now just happened a few days ago. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, KCTD25 said:

He's absolutely right, this is first and foremost, a public health issue.  Now that stay at home orders are ending this week for about half the states, the real test in that arena begins.

7 hours ago, daynlokki said:

You flip flop on things so much. I make a post from last week and things can change so much in that time. You do the same thing and it now just happened a few days ago. 

So much? Whatever. You keep grasping at whatever you can in hopes to prove there can be no baseball this year. My point was that Fauci was very clear in the article a few days before and this article appears out of context. Your article I read the week before and it was an opinion piece. I’m not even sure it proved any point that you’ve been trying to make. You’re on a mission though. Good luck. If you have your way everything will be canceled until 2021. I really hope that’s not the case.

For every article discussing how baseball plans to return you cite some unfounded fact why baseball can’t happen - as if you know better than baseball does.  As if baseball will ignore the guidance of public health experts and should just quit now and not have any plan for something that would happen 6-8 weeks from now.  Your disbelief is exhausting to flat-earther levels. 

• Like 5

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/fauci-insists-mlb-may-still-be-able-to-play-ball

Dr. Anthony Fauci is stepping up to the plate to clarify that he's still hopeful Major League Baseball will be able to salvage at least part of their season beginning this summer, despite his blunt comments to The New York Times that left MLB officials stunned and feeling like the White House adviser on coronavirus was suggesting a cancellation to the entire season was becoming more likely.

"No, no," Fauci told Fox News in a brief telephone interview Wednesday night. "I think they read half my interview," where he used caveats about whether the nation will have broad enough access to testing to make sure major sports leagues can resume safely.

"There are a range of options for baseball," Fauci said to Fox News, though he added the qualification is hard to predict with certainty because of the possibility that COVID-19 will have a resurgence later this year. "We don't know about the summer. We don't know about the fall."

• Like 1

I couldn't imagine the optics of inducting Derek Jeter into the HoF with no fans present, rolling that back a year is kind of a no brainer.

That decision doesn't equate to much when we're talking about a potential baseball season this year IMO.  The HoF Induction ceremony will be there for them next year.  Revenues from a lost season won't be.

23 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/fauci-insists-mlb-may-still-be-able-to-play-ball

Dr. Anthony Fauci is stepping up to the plate to clarify that he's still hopeful Major League Baseball will be able to salvage at least part of their season beginning this summer, despite his blunt comments to The New York Times that left MLB officials stunned and feeling like the White House adviser on coronavirus was suggesting a cancellation to the entire season was becoming more likely.

"No, no," Fauci told Fox News in a brief telephone interview Wednesday night. "I think they read half my interview," where he used caveats about whether the nation will have broad enough access to testing to make sure major sports leagues can resume safely.

"There are a range of options for baseball," Fauci said to Fox News, though he added the qualification is hard to predict with certainty because of the possibility that COVID-19 will have a resurgence later this year. "We don't know about the summer. We don't know about the fall."

Pretty much what I suspected. 

• Like 1

Just now, TheForearmShiver said:

Pretty much what I suspected. 

I think we're all reading the tea leaves pretty hard, that's to be expected I guess. 

But it's the same as it ever was, we just don't know. 

31 states have reopened in some capacity in the past week or are set to reopen by early next.  The results from these actions in the next couple weeks to come will tell us a lot. 

Until then we're just kind of guessing and projecting.

I'm sorry if this has been posted.  Consider it a repost for those who missed it if it has.

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/platform/amp/2020/4/29/21242000/sources-no-minor-league-baseball-in-2020-mlb-expanding-rosters-instead?__twitter_impression=true

Players being told they will report mid May and season will begin in June.

Jeff Passan has since disputed this...

FWIW, Lookout Landing, and Joe Doyle, in particular, have been pretty reliable sources, in my experience.

If no baseball this year, are redraft league managers keeping their teams until next year?

If no baseball this year, will we see any players that might just retire?

2 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

If no baseball this year, are redraft league managers keeping their teams until next year?

Charlie Morton is a guy I’d be nervous about. He’s talked about retiring if he loses effectiveness a year or so ago. If it’s Been anywhere in his mind, at his age, he’d be someone to have on that radar. 

Just now, TheForearmShiver said:

Charlie Morton is a guy I’d be nervous about. He’s talked about retiring if he loses effectiveness a year or so ago. If it’s Been anywhere in his mind, at his age, he’d be someone to have on that radar. 

Damn he is my number 1 in one league...maybe Rich Hill too

16 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Right now I feel pretty good about the teams I have already drafted. Not so sure I will feel the same way 10 or 11 months from now. 

24 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

I assume it'd just be another redraft with the roster changes with guys becoming FA and such changing their outlook and guy retiring as said above like Morton.

26 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

I suppose each league is different, but I couldn't imagine that being a popular choice with most redraft managers.