meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

Is it bothersome to anyone that Fauci keeps needing to opine on the state of baseball? Baseball is not essential, so people should stop asking the leading expert on the pandemic to chime in on it, especially when deaths are still increasing and testing is not yet where it should be.

Just my two cents. 

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

I'm sorry if this has been posted.  Consider it a repost for those who missed it if it has.

https://www.lookoutlanding.com/platform/amp/2020/4/29/21242000/sources-no-minor-league-baseball-in-2020-mlb-expanding-rosters-instead?__twitter_impression=true

Players being told they will report mid May and season will begin in June.

Jeff Passan has since disputed this...

FWIW, Lookout Landing, and Joe Doyle, in particular, have been pretty reliable sources, in my experience.

I posted both, but no worries about a repost. My take here:

Joe Doyle is correct. That’s what is going to happen. League upset it leaked before they could let everyone know, does damage control. Passan is able to report season is not canceled because technically it’s not...yet. 

• Like 2

Am I the only one looking at that tweet and seeing nothing about MLB?  To me it says the minor league season hasn't been canceled. With the changes coming to the minors not canceling this year is news.

Just now, Low and Away said:

Am I the only one looking at that tweet and seeing nothing about MLB?  To me it says the minor league season hasn't been canceled. With the changes coming to the minors not canceling this year is news.

The Passan tweet is in reference to the link from Lookout Landing.  https://www.lookoutlanding.com/platform/amp/2020/4/29/21242000/sources-no-minor-league-baseball-in-2020-mlb-expanding-rosters-instead?__twitter_impression=true

Therein:

According to two players associated with those agents, they expect to be playing baseball sooner rather than later.

“Expecting to report in the next three weeks,” one source said via text message. “We’re expecting the season to start in June.”

4 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

So much? Whatever. You keep grasping at whatever you can in hopes to prove there can be no baseball this year. My point was that Fauci was very clear in the article a few days before and this article appears out of context. Your article I read the week before and it was an opinion piece. I’m not even sure it proved any point that you’ve been trying to make. You’re on a mission though. Good luck. If you have your way everything will be canceled until 2021. I really hope that’s not the case.

For every article discussing how baseball plans to return you cite some unfounded fact why baseball can’t happen - as if you know better than baseball does.  As if baseball will ignore the guidance of public health experts and should just quit now and not have any plan for something that would happen 6-8 weeks from now.  Your disbelief is exhausting to flat-earther levels. 

So then you are definitely saying it’s OK if you post a week old citation because it’s just a few days old but when someone else does it, it’s now old news and not worth anything? If you can’t even keep on an even keel with what you consider the timeframe for a correct citation how is anyone supposed to take anything else you say at its merits?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

Is it bothersome to anyone that Fauci keeps needing to opine on the state of baseball? Baseball is not essential, so people should stop asking the leading expert on the pandemic to chime in on it, especially when deaths are still increasing and testing is not yet where it should be.

Just my two cents. 

Not really.

It's not as if Dr. Fauci is being diverted from helping the country increase testing or prevent deaths by speaking on the matter.  His role on the Task Force is to be the de facto spokeperson on the effort to contain the virus, as such his expertise is valuable on a wide range of topics, including what we should expect in terms of a return to normalcy, and to me and I think a lot of folks, that includes sports.

People's livelihoods are not as important as their lives.  But they are important.  And sports are part of an ecosystem which helps support a lot of people's livelihood's.

• Like 1

Just now, Low and Away said:

It was minor league agents and players though.

I don't think so, if the topic of the article is the cancellation of the minor league season.

News from Germany. (Merkel met with local goverment today, with presser).

11 days after Opening small businesses.

Overall good News. numbers looking good. new infections still going down (between 1000 and 1500 per day for the last days, they say they can handle it and track that amount down). r0 under 1. enough beds and stuff in hospitals.

playgrounds, churches, Zoos can reopen. under restrictions. more businesses too.

BIG next meeting will be may 6. regarding Schools, Kids day care, SPORTS, Restaurants/bars.

for sports. soccer.

Nothing specific today. may 6 looks like the date for a definite decision.  bundesliga is ready. may 9 looks a little too early. i would expect, with numbers staying in the current ballbark, that it will restart may 16 or 23. with empty stadiums, testing. but still a little unclear what happens when a player tests positive (player is out 14 days, team is out 14 days, both teams that played out 14 days). i guess they will figure it out on the fly. 

France stopped their league. paris champion. plan to start next season late august. italy, spain, england still up in the air. 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Not really.

It's not as if Dr. Fauci is being diverted from helping the country increase testing or prevent deaths by speaking on the matter.  His role on the Task Force is to be the de facto spokeperson on the effort to contain the virus, as such his expertise is valuable on a wide range of topics, including what we should expect in terms of a return to normalcy, and to me and I think a lot of folks, that includes sports.

People's livelihoods are not as important as their lives.  But they are important.  And sports are part of an ecosystem which helps support a lot of people's livelihood's.

Fair points, but I'm not sure I'd agree with the bolded part. One can argue just as easily that his productivity might falter having to continuously provide developments on baseball, which I think most can agree is not an essential activity, or even on the second or third tiers of priorities. 

Edit: to elaborate, the most effective scenario seems to be to let Fauci and his team deal with increasing testing and reducing deaths, among other things, and then once the curve has flattened, to start letting sports leagues and other secondary sectors deal with Fauci and his team on how they'll return. Seems quite early for the latter stage IMO, but that's just me. 

Edited by Jyeatbvg

Just now, Jyeatbvg said:

Fair points, but I'm not sure I'd agree with the bolded part. One can argue just as easily that his productivity might falter having to continuously provide developments on baseball, which I think most can agree is not an essential activity, or even on the second or third tiers of priorities. 

The thing is, we're singularly viewing these comments in a fantasy baseball forum as part of a larger interview on economic recovery, which itself is minutes of his day, and his role is not to single handedly come up with a resolution but to communicate with the public the efforts of thousands of health care professionals.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

So then you are definitely saying it’s OK if you post a week old citation because it’s just a few days old but when someone else does it, it’s now old news and not worth anything? If you can’t even keep on an even keel with what you consider the timeframe for a correct citation how is anyone supposed to take anything else you say at its merits?

Because I was right all along. I said I had a feeling the Fauci comment was out of context to which he personally confirmed today. 

When you get to the level of Fauci or Birx, you're mainly a communicator.  They're both accomplished in their fields, but their main job is being a reassuring voice and showing people the adults are in charge.  If the public is worried about baseball, he's going to take some time out to talk about baseball in addition to the regular duties.  The bulk of the actual work studying things is being done by subordinates in CDC, NIH, and other HHS agencies, with higher-ups like Fauci being mostly responsible for agenda setting and selling the policies to the country.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

In the event that there is a season of games of sorts played in empty stadiums, this is something I've thought about with Yasiel Puig in particular given how much he seems to enjoy the energy of the crowds and such.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29114814/players-need-emotional-flicker-fans-provide-buck-showalter-says

If games are conducted without fans, Showalter said it will "expose" the players who are "self-motivating." That isn't a bad thing, he said, but relying too much on self-motivation can become a problem because fan energy is another component of success in baseball.

"If you keep going to that well too often to self-motivate, it becomes a real issue," he said. "There's so many times in sports when you're doing something so repetitiously that you kind of get into that automatic drive, so to speak, mentality for a while. But you need that extra juice."

Perhaps this would be a good season for more introverted or as Showalter says, "self-motivated" players.

Maybe fangraphs can put some Myers-Briggs tests on their player cards?  🤣

Posted (edited)

No matter how many interviews are done with however many people, we're still basically where we were two months ago:

- MLB wants a season

- No one is sure how to make it safe

Edited by TribeFoo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TribeFoo said:

No matter how many interviews are done with however many people, we're still basically where we were two months ago:

- MLB wants a season

- No one is sure how to make it safe

I feel like Passan said it best on Tuesday.  Things have changed and they haven't.  In large part, that depends on whether you care about the process by which they determine what safe looks like and if they can get there, or you just want to see a finalized plan before investing any interest.

If it's the latter, no, we won't be there for at least a couple of weeks I don't think.  Don't worry about it for now.  We still don't know, and we won't tomorrow either.

If it's the former, yeah a lot of people weighed in, potential leagues structures have been discussed and made public, some public health officials have weighed in on timelines, etc.

2 hours ago, Dr. Whom said:

If no baseball this year, are redraft league managers keeping their teams until next year?

If

If baseball is cancelled you redraft 

I think redraft leagues are one and done by definition.  Clearly you should redraft.  (Even if nothing is done in the one.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mongeese said:

I think redraft leagues are one and done by definition.  Clearly you should redraft.  (Even if nothing is done in the one.)

Do you keep the same draft order or just refund teams and start fresh?

29 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

We didn’t draft, as we knew this was an issue. But you absolutely redraft if no season. Mookie may play for another team and never play for the Dodgers (among other changes). Obviously some, particularly older SPs, all a year older. Things change.

As for draft order, either of those things are acceptable. That’ll be up to each league. I’d say keeping draft order would ruffle the least amount of feathers, and seems fair.

31 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

I'm a commish in a money league and I posted if we play at least 80 games,  payouts as normal.

Anything less,  we should cancel season and roll the money over and start fresh next year.

My fear is there could be a stoppage at some point after the regular season begins and MLB concentrates on a larger playoff format upon restart.

4 hours ago, Low and Away said:

It was minor league agents and players though.

I took it to mean the minor league season is cancelled and those expected to be on the expanded MLB roster are being told they will report in a few weeks for MLB camp.

• Like 2

I’m about somewhere between 100% and 101% sure that we’re getting a season. We only hear about 1% of what they’re talking about. The incentives to play are too high for nothing to happen. The players will agree to lower salaries and they’ll all agree on a schedule and it will work. It’s only April.

• Like 1