meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

It occurs to me that the large number of double headers is going to turn leagues with daily moves into a frenzy.  People who are very active are going to have a much bigger advantage than usual.  

I might propose some rule change in my league. Those who can't spend as much time as others have already complained in the past. We have unlimited, daily moves so the churners already have an advantage.  This year, the more casual players will have no chance whatsoever, as the churners pile up hundreds of extra ABs.  

I'm in the middle ground myself.  I am an active manager, but I don't want to spend an hour a day, every day, juggling this stuff.  It just becomes a chore. 

6 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

It occurs to me that the large number of double headers is going to turn leagues with daily moves into a frenzy.  People who are very active are going to have a much bigger advantage than usual.  

I might propose some rule change in my league. Those who can't spend as much time as others have already complained in the past. We have unlimited, daily moves so the churners already have an advantage.  This year, the more casual players will have no chance whatsoever, as the churners pile up hundreds of extra ABs.  

I'm in the middle ground myself.  I am an active manager, but I don't want to spend an hour a day, every day, juggling this stuff.  It just becomes a chore. 

If somehow we have a season, I will celebrate if the chore of setting lineups is something to complain about.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

If we have a season, I may even wait a day or two before complaining that my team is underperforming their respective draft positions.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

43 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

use FAAB with a max budget for all teams

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, GamblorLA said:

It occurs to me that the large number of double headers is going to turn leagues with daily moves into a frenzy

Relax .. lol

1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

On March 11 there was 278 positive cases and the first NBA player tested positive. Today there is over a million positive cases. Zero chance the MLB can keep all players & employees from testing positive for up to 5 months. What is their plan when a positive hits?.. 

It won't happen but keep tweeting it and maybe that will change our reality.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

On March 11 there was 278 positive cases and the first NBA player tested positive. Today there is over a million positive cases. Zero chance the MLB can keep all players & employees from testing positive for up to 5 months. What is their plan when a positive hits?.. 

Feel better?

I didn't tweet anything.  The guy who works for MLB Network did.

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, shakestreet said:

I sure hope you are right but I don’t put any stock in Jeff Passen. 

Did you see this ... Anthony Fauci 

https://nypost.com/2020/04/29/anthony-fauci-sports-might-not-happen-this-year/

Major League Baseball may be plotting a return, but Dr. Anthony Fauci has some bad news for everyone hoping for team sports to return.

Fauci, the infectious disease expert who’s a part of the White House’s coronavirus task force, says that without widespread testing and quick results, sports may be sidelined for the duration of 2020. “Safety, for the players and for the fans, trumps everything,” Fauci told the New York Times. “If you can’t guarantee safety, then unfortunately you’re going to have to bite the bullet and say, ‘We may have to go without this sport for this season.’”

I just don’t see us having baseball this year. Get real guys 

5 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

I was under the impression we put a stop to this passive aggressive nonsense. Pretty much everyone is ramping up efforts and planning on some type of season, but YOU’RE the smartest guy in the room.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Feel better?

I didn't tweet anything.  The guy who works for MLB Network did.

Why would I feel better? I love baseball . 
So a guy who works for MLB network is the one who says whether baseball will be back? Ok 👍 

2 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I was under the impression we put a stop to this passive aggressive nonsense. Pretty much everyone is ramping up efforts and planning on some type of season, but YOU’RE the smartest guy in the room.

Cry me a river 

Just now, shakestreet said:

Why would I feel better? I love baseball . 
So a guy who works for MLB network is the one who says whether baseball will be back? Ok 👍 

No.

Are you under the impression YOU do?

Because I'm gonna be honest, unless you show me some credentials I'm gonna assume he's more well connected than you are so I'm gonna put more stock in what he has to say than you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

Cry me a river 

I’m not crying. I’m laughing at you. Every professional thinks we’re gonna have a season. But I’ll let them know shakestreet from Rotoworld says keep dreaming! 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Because I'm gonna be honest,

9 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I’m laughing

Guys I am itching for baseball. Starting baseball July 4th America’s birthday. Fireworks let’s get it done

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Guys I am itching for baseball. Starting baseball July 4th America’s birthday. Fireworks let’s get it done

It'd be cool.  I have no idea if it's going to come together or not.  But I see people around the game expressing optimism that they're trying to get it together, and I like that so I share it here because maybe other people haven't seen it and they'll like it too.

I have no idea why some people who like baseball get upset by this.  It's very strange to me.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

I’m not crying. I’m laughing at you. Every professional thinks we’re gonna have a season. But I’ll let them know shakestreet from Rotoworld says keep dreaming! 

Shakestreet from roto said so! Bahahahahahahah😹😹😹😷😷😹😷😷😷

3 hours ago, GamblorLA said:

In a couple league we have a max of 6 pick-ups a week, I hate it because I'm more active than most :) 

An article about the NBA trying to start back up. And while it’s not the MLB, I think it highlights what a few of us have said on multiple occasions—dissecting each plan as it’s “leaked,” like Arizona or 3 state plan, is pointless. These are multi-billion dollar corporations who are 1) Trying to find some Type of solution/cooperation amongst players, owners, governors, doctors, etc., and 2) coming up with contingency plan on top of contingency plan as things change daily. 

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29119309/inside-nba-urgent-decisions-tries-finish-season

• Like 1

Another roadblock is looming no matter what plan they come up with. Umpire pay. MLB is proposing deep payroll cuts along with benefits and the umpires are thinking strike. Article was in todays' The Athletic.

15 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Another roadblock is looming no matter what plan they come up with. Umpire pay. MLB is proposing deep payroll cuts along with benefits and the umpires are thinking strike. Article was in todays' The Athletic.

Could be another potential labor dispute ancillary to the players union.  It sounds like the umpires are aware they have less leverage than the players due to the previous umpire strike not having as much success, but yes, another potential labor hurdle.

The umpires met on a Zoom call for nearly eight hours Wednesday night to debate baseball’s “best and final” offer for a 2020 season that will be either shortened or canceled because of the COVID-19 pandemic.

On Thursday, the umpires’ union voted to send the league a “hold letter” — an offer to buy more time by not filing a grievance over the league withholding its pay in May, a source with the umps said. The next step for the umpires is to vote on the proposal, which might not happen quickly with the sport on hiatus.

The proposal, a copy of which was obtained by The Athletic, includes reductions in umpires’ regular-season and postseason pay as well as their per diem. The umps are split on whether to accept the offer, sources say. Some view the cuts as excessive. Others fear if they reject the offer the league will strike back punitively, and that public opinion will turn even more negative against a group that already is largely unpopular with fans.

Many umpires recall how their mass resignation backfired in 1999, with baseball accepting 22 of the resignations and hiring new umpires. Now, as the league operates in a national emergency, it could invoke force majeure to suspend its contractual obligations to umpires.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Replacement umpires will be installed if needed, there are plenty through out the country who are qualified and simply waiting for their big break and will do so for whatever wage it is MLB is suggesting they take for this season

14 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Did you just copy and paste responses from that tweet thread?

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, GamblorLA said:

The league I run, we lock lineups at the first pitch of each day.  That might be an option that would help with that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Low and Away said:

Umps have no leg to stand on. MLB will just find the minor league umps or college umps to take their place. 

[  Posts removed.  The "you're too optimistic" vs. "you're too pessimistic" discussion is tiresome.  Arguments need to stay away from speculation about the mindset of other members of the community. ]

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Umps have no leg to stand on. MLB will just find the minor league umps or college umps to take their place. 

Just because they could be easily replaced doesn't mean the umpires aren't in the right in what they want to save what had been negotiated in the labor contract

Edited by Low and Away