meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

37 minutes ago, Low and Away said:

Just because they could be easily replaced doesn't mean the umpires aren't in the right in what they want to save what had been negotiated in the labor contract

They have every right to try and get the most out of their contract, but they have very little leverage. 

Sounds like the umpire issue has been resolved, so one less hurdle to get the season going. Per rotoworld blurb:

According to ESPN's Jesse Rogers, Major League Baseball has come to an agreement with its umpires on compensation for the currently-suspended 2020 season.

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reported earlier this week that the umpires were "split" on whether to accept a proposal for reduced regular season and postseason pay, but it sounds like all parties involved have come together on a plan. There should be more details about the agreement shortly.

• Like 1

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reported earlier this week that the umpires were "split" on whether to accept a proposal for reduced regular season and postseason pay, but USA Today's Bob Nightengale hears that the parties involved have come together on a cut in salary of around 30 percent. The umps will also have their per diem reduced by 20 percent. They'll presumably be paid with or without games as part of the new deal.

57 minutes ago, KCTD25 said:

Sounds like the umpire issue has been resolved, so one less hurdle to get the season going. Per rotoworld blurb:

According to ESPN's Jesse Rogers, Major League Baseball has come to an agreement with its umpires on compensation for the currently-suspended 2020 season.

Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic reported earlier this week that the umpires were "split" on whether to accept a proposal for reduced regular season and postseason pay, but it sounds like all parties involved have come together on a plan. There should be more details about the agreement shortly.

Good news.  Players dispute will be trickier, but one less hurdle.

The latest Rotoworld blurb:

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that early July "remains MLB’s target for a season."

Heyman says that spring training 2.0 "would likely be three weeks," plus an additional two weeks for those who wish to report early. With a minor league season looking unlikely, rosters "are expected to be expanded" and may also include a taxi squad. While optimism that there will be a 2020 season starting up at some point seems to be increasing, this is all still very much up in the air at this point. MLB is still evaluating a number of different scenarios and has to get the MLBPA to sign on, as well.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter                                  Apr 30, 2020, 6:44 PM ET

So definitely no official season starting in May or even June but possibly a spring training starting in mid June with mainly pitchers I guess able to use training facilities somewhat earlier.  But again this is as stated above as "still very much up in the air" as in still in the spitballing vs concrete plans stage.  In the end MLB is waiting like the rest of us on covid-19 to call the shots.

Early July remains the target. Ok, so what’s the effing plan then? It’s all just talk till there is actually some detailed action. It’s like that girl that strung me along in high school only to end up w my buddy👧👧

1 minute ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Early July remains the target. Ok, so what’s the effing plan then? It’s all just talk till there is actually some detailed action. It’s like that girl that strung me along in high school only to end up w my buddy👧👧

It's almost like it's a complicated and intense situation with ever changing circumstances huh?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Bottom line about the July 4th plan:  I think it’s within the realm of possibility if America seriously worked towards that goal. However I don’t see that a lot of America has much interest in doing that. I mean we are starting to open the states up even as we are essentially hitting all time highs in new cases. That’s absolutely insane.  

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Von Miller has asthma and is now negative after two weeks...he said he only went out 4 times and still got it. He recovered at home with team doctors

18 days, which is about average. He also said he started with a simple cough and it got worse. Don’t know the severity but if he only went out 4 times and still got it how is that gonna work with baseball restarting? Those guys are going out way more than 4 times. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2020/04/30/von-miller-now-negative-covid-19-coronavirus/3062469001/

51 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

18 days, which is about average. He also said he started with a simple cough and it got worse. Don’t know the severity but if he only went out 4 times and still got it how is that gonna work with baseball restarting? Those guys are going out way more than 4 times. https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2020/04/30/von-miller-now-negative-covid-19-coronavirus/3062469001/

Oh yeah...nobody is playing baseball and using up vital tests any time soon...Fauci just likes to play with peoples emotions and give false hopes( Actually he’s just looks at the data which changes daily and adjusts his model)

Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Oh yeah...nobody is playing baseball and using up vital tests any time soon...Fauci just likes to play with peoples emotions and give false hopes( Actually he’s just looks at the data which changes daily and adjusts his model)

The point is it seems inevitable someone will test positive. What then? Quarantine anyone he’s been around for 2 weeks? Wouldn’t that shut down the entire league again or at least most of a division? As you said, Von Miller only went outside his house like 4 times. If he got it what’s to stop guys in the MLB getting it with much more exposure? Someone already posted the German soccer league had 3 new infected already. 

Edited by daynlokki

2 hours ago, daynlokki said:

The point is it seems inevitable someone will test positive. What then? Quarantine anyone he’s been around for 2 weeks? Wouldn’t that shut down the entire league again or at least most of a division? As you said, Von Miller only went outside his house like 4 times. If he got it what’s to stop guys in the MLB getting it with much more exposure? Someone already posted the German soccer league had 3 new infected already. 

You contact trace.  With the high rates of false negatives they may have to see a quarantine for a few days.  But the testing could be much more accurate / readily available in the next 3-4 weeks.

The more I think about it the more it seems The Arizona Plan is by far the best route.  The cases there are very low and they have all the stadiums they'd need.  Everyone's in one place so it's easier to control and monitor.

I know there's been talk about letting teams play at their home parks and combining the AL & NL East etc.  I just cannot see any reason playing baseball in the New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington,Baltimore.  Plus factor in the suspicion that Florida has been under reporting and very lose with stay at home orders.  As well as Georgia already opened up over a week ago.  I'd just Nix the entire east coast at least for the first half of whatever we get in 2020. 

Arizona really just needs some funding for more testing.  Otherwise total cases, active cases, total deaths, new deaths every other metric measuring covid-19 they are doing very well in compared to the east coast as well as national average.

# USA
State
Active
Cases
Cases/
1M pop
Deaths/
1M pop
Total
Tests
Tests/
1M pop
1 New York 240586 16068 1227 927438 47274
2 New Jersey 112381 13645 849 255214 28734
3 Connecticut 26360 8031 653 100257 27993
4 Massachusetts 52477 9416 544 289636 42405
5 Louisiana 9438 6156 422 168251 36077
6 Michigan 30148 4254 388 195645 19648
7 DC 3891 7008 351 22004 32146
8 Rhode Island 8341 8482 264 66648 63077
9 Maryland 21705 4076 208 125522 20908
10 Pennsylvania 46154 3881 207 227448 17782
NA USA Average 906414 3426 199 6715075 20287
11 Illinois 52992 4372 192 284688 22204
12 Indiana 17441 2807 177 99639 15012
35 Arizona 7562 1146 48 74879 10779

1 hour ago, FouLLine said:

You contact trace.  With the high rates of false negatives they may have to see a quarantine for a few days.  But the testing could be much more accurate / readily available in the next 3-4 weeks.

The more I think about it the more it seems The Arizona Plan is by far the best route.  The cases there are very low and they have all the stadiums they'd need.  Everyone's in one place so it's easier to control and monitor.

I know there's been talk about letting teams play at their home parks and combining the AL & NL East etc.  I just cannot see any reason playing baseball in the New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Washington,Baltimore.  Plus factor in the suspicion that Florida has been under reporting and very lose with stay at home orders.  As well as Georgia already opened up over a week ago.  I'd just Nix the entire east coast at least for the first half of whatever we get in 2020. 

Arizona really just needs some funding for more testing.  Otherwise total cases, active cases, total deaths, new deaths every other metric measuring covid-19 they are doing very well in compared to the east coast as well as national average.

# USA
State
Active
Cases
Cases/
1M pop
Deaths/
1M pop
Total
Tests
Tests/
1M pop
1 New York 240586 16068 1227 927438 47274
2 New Jersey 112381 13645 849 255214 28734
3 Connecticut 26360 8031 653 100257 27993
4 Massachusetts 52477 9416 544 289636 42405
5 Louisiana 9438 6156 422 168251 36077
6 Michigan 30148 4254 388 195645 19648
7 DC 3891 7008 351 22004 32146
8 Rhode Island 8341 8482 264 66648 63077
9 Maryland 21705 4076 208 125522 20908
10 Pennsylvania 46154 3881 207 227448 17782
NA USA Average 906414 3426 199 6715075 20287
11 Illinois 52992 4372 192 284688 22204
12 Indiana 17441 2807 177 99639 15012
35 Arizona 7562 1146 48 74879 10779

Look at the tests per million. They still ranked 49th in the US? Of course you’re gonna have less positives with far less testing done. 74k total tests is nothing. That said contract tracing would work but unless players are being tested daily that contact is going to be at least several teams along with drivers, hotel workers, etc. 

4 hours ago, daynlokki said:

1. How do you know Von Miller has only gone outside 4 times? I banged Shakira last night (or so i say.. you believe me?)

2. If they are in isolation, how are they going to contract the virus? They will be tested prior to beginning activities and during activities. The entire 'bubble' will be in the same scenario and therefore if no outsiders are entering or players are leaving the bubble, it SHOULD be virtually impossible for anyone within that community to contract the virus.

36 minutes ago, jonninho said:

1. How do you know Von Miller has only gone outside 4 times? I banged Shakira last night (or so i say.. you believe me?)

2. If they are in isolation, how are they going to contract the virus? They will be tested prior to beginning activities and during activities. The entire 'bubble' will be in the same scenario and therefore if no outsiders are entering or players are leaving the bubble, it SHOULD be virtually impossible for anyone within that community to contract the virus.

You think you can keep over a thousand young men in their 20's and early 30's in some single Bubbledome without any leaks?  Or the thousand or so more coaching staffs, medical staffs, service workers, grounds crew, maintenance personnel, drivers, hotel personnel, airport workers (if played in cities that require flights in and out), other residents of the hotels, police, truck drivers etc etc.  You do know that there is no physical "bubble" they are building with military guards at checkpoints like some sci-fi sports version of The Truman Show (which also leaked, heh). 

And no visits by the "Shakiras" of the world sneaking in or the players sneaking out to visit same?   Or some careless bus driver passing it on from their wife who he had sneaked out to see who got it from a grocery clerk who had been in contact with a man who had gotten it while filling up his gas tank standing next to someone else all of whom were asymptomatic thus not known that they were carriers.

No how no way is this proposed "bubble" not leaking,  Impossible for it not to.

As for the minimal risk to healthy athletes getting this mentioned in other posts?  Now there is some evidence that some scarring of the lungs could occur in younger patients for the long term.  And even small blood clots.  This is new.  We don't know the long term effect.  It all is a game of Russian roulette at this point.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jonninho said:

I didn’t say Miller was out 4 times. That was in response to someone else saying that. Which would probably why I said ‘as you said’ in front of saying what I did. 
So this is all predicated on professional athletes never leaving their hotel rooms? Seems like that’ll happen. 

Also, for anyone wondering Arizona is officially back to 50th in the USA for per capita testing. 

Edited by daynlokki

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Look at the tests per million. They still ranked 49th in the US? Of course you’re gonna have less positives with far less testing done. 74k total tests is nothing. That said contract tracing would work but unless players are being tested daily that contact is going to be at least several teams along with drivers, hotel workers, etc. 

Tests per millions isn't impossible to remedy.  Funding nearly 100% can fix this.  Also cases are so low in ARZ they haven't needed a crazy high volume of tests.  Other states have been higher priorities.

Testing will continue to ramp up everywhere in the country.  If the MLB was coming in with millions of dollars they would even more so ramp up a state's testing.

Edited by Rotocious

3 hours ago, Rotocious said:

Tests per millions isn't impossible to remedy.  Funding nearly 100% can fix this.  Also cases are so low in ARZ they haven't needed a crazy high volume of tests.  Other states have been higher priorities.

Testing will continue to ramp up everywhere in the country.  If the MLB was coming in with millions of dollars they would even more so ramp up a state's testing.

As said elsewhere can’t get positive tests if you aren’t testing. It’s not like their ratio of positive tests to negative tests is grossly less than average. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Rotocious said:

Since most cases are  mild and they don't go to the hospital or have or have the option to even get tested so far then no one can say the cases are low in Arizona.  They could be a state full of asymptomatic plague rats for all we know.  Yeah probably not that bad but it is just as likely as them having only a very few cases.  We don't know UNTIL there is testing and with reliable test kits and not the ones that have been giving up to 30% false negatives.

Also Arizona's "few cases" are actually on the rise and the graph for them hasn't flattened or gone down yet.  Which is probably indicative of a lot more cases we don't know about.

so...korean Baseball is coming to ESPN.

the struggle must be real.

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, cornerback said:

so...korean Baseball is coming to ESPN.

the struggle must be real.

Weird they would get a contract to air the KBO if they are expecting a season to begin. Unless they expect it to begin after their contract is up. Haven’t read into the contract itself yet. 
-Ah just read contract can change based on MLB potentially returning. 

Edited by daynlokki

47 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Weird they would get a contract to air the KBO if they are expecting a season to begin. Unless they expect it to begin after their contract is up. Haven’t read into the contract itself yet. 
-Ah just read contract can change based on MLB potentially returning. 

still haven’t heard a mlb plan...what are they waiting for?