meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

42 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

players aren't hanging out with their parents/grand parents during the regular season. older coaches can be protected by not being around the team at this time. it could basically be the 26 man roster and some specific coaching necessary, then when this is moving on things can get back to normal.

You really don't get it, do you.  They don't live in a bubble.  Many of the players themselves don't want to play at this point and risk infection to their families.  David Price came right out and said just that.  The Players Association would go berserk -- and rightly so -- if players were ordered to group together and play at this point.  MLB would face massive lawsuits if they tried to force players to play.  This isn't something you mess around with.  Period.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

You really don't get it, do you.  They don't live in a bubble.  Many of the players themselves don't want to play at this point and risk infection to their families.  David Price came right out and said just that.  The Players Association would go berserk -- and rightly so -- if players were ordered to group together and play at this point.  MLB would face massive lawsuits if they tried to force players to play.  This isn't something you mess around with.  Period.

I think the main issue right now is with the lack of testing, and the long period between transmitting and symptoms.

People see these really low numbers of positive confirmed cases and it seems like some remote problem.

When testing really starts ramping up and we see how many people actually have it, we're gonna see some lightbulbs go off.

• Like 1

it'd probably be super hard for teams to travel city to city right?  They usually go out to eat at restaurants.  I guess maybe the hotels are still cooking up meals.  I suppose someone could do food shopping and cook for them but that'd be a little insane.  It's not happening anytime soon.  They should play a shortened season and just eliminate crap teams like the O's, Red Sox, etc.  Don't need as many teams this year ha ha ha

4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I didn't say play games now, but there is no reason they can't be together now, quarantine together if you want to call it that, so that in the next 6 to 8 weeks it doesn't then take another 3+ weeks before players are ready to play.

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

I didn't say play games now, but there is no reason they can't be together now, quarantine together if you want to call it that, so that in the next 6 to 8 weeks it doesn't then take another 3+ weeks before players are ready to play.

No player likes spring training.  Last thing they want to do is quarantine themselves with a bunch of other guys and go through meaningless workouts and inter-squad games that mean diddly.  At a time of crisis like this they WANT to be with their loved ones like everyone else in this country and the world.

2 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

I’m not sure you understand how quarantining works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

Posted (edited)

Ya, I'm with many on the above.  I really wish things were different. My belief is that there won't be a season.  Many people think this is 'no big deal'.  Mostly because 'young and healthy' people will be fine.  Generally, it will be those same people are likely not going to self-isolate.  I just saw a pic on the news in San Fran and thousands of people on beaches in Florida, where people are just completely ignoring the warnings.  The results are going to be significant in terms of trying to maintain the disease until there is a vaccine.  The US is still behind places like France and Italy.  Those countries are now in complete lockdown.  There are thousands of people infected and in Italy over 2,500 people have died.  That number's expected to grow significantly.  Hopefully, I can come back to this post in a couple months and say 'boy was I ever wrong', and would happily to do so.  

Edited by BigPapi44

34 minutes ago, BigPapi44 said:

Ya, I'm with many on the above.  I really wish things were different. My belief is that there won't be a season.  Many people think this is 'no big deal'.  Mostly because 'young and healthy' people will be fine.  Generally, it will be those same people are likely not going to self-isolate.  I just saw a pic on the news in San Fran and thousands of people on beaches in Florida, where people are just completely ignoring the warnings.  The results are going to be significant in terms of trying to maintain the disease until there is a vaccine.  The US is still behind places like France and Italy.  Those countries are now in complete lockdown.  There are thousands of people infected and in Italy over 2,500 people have died.  That number's expected to grow significantly.  Hopefully, I can come back to this post in a couple months and say 'boy was I ever wrong', and would happily to do so.  

Yeah it's crazy for sure. We've not seen things like this... in a very long time.

While we do need to take serious precautions, and I agree with all you said; I tend to believe that the media has sure made matters worse by causing the mass panic and hoarding. Makes you wonder for real if the government wanted this to happen. I sure hope not.

6 minutes ago, lavaman said:

Makes you wonder for real if the government wanted this to happen. I sure hope not.

There is zero chance anyone elected is in favor of something like this happening.

Yesterday was the single largest point drop and the second largest percentage drop for the DJIA in it's history.

People buying too much TP at the grocery store isn't offsetting what is happening to the planet economically.

I'm not saying that they aren't making the right decisions because this is a global health issue that goes beyond dollars and cents, but yeah there's no financial government conspiracy.  Just a lot of scared people acting scared.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I think most players would much rather play instead of lose money and service time over a media induced panic for a virus that according to statistics 81% of those who get it only have mild symptoms.

https://theconversation.com/coronavirus-ten-reasons-why-you-ought-not-to-panic-132941

5 hours ago, BigPapi44 said:

There will absolutely be a season. Too much money to be lost and a lockout over the owners refusing to grant free agency and count service time for players who missed an entire season and with players demanding not to lose a year of their careers with no advancements in service time or free agency. 

Italy has a terrible health care system and an aging population. We have 6,000 cases right now. 81% have mild symptoms, 15% have bad symptoms but survive. That leaves 4% who are mostly seniors and people with lung issues. We also already have vaccines, they’re going through human trials. Some of us are hiding in their house last scared of dying and others are enjoying life. 

10 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I think the main issue right now is with the lack of testing, and the long period between transmitting and symptoms.

People see these really low numbers of positive confirmed cases and it seems like some remote problem.

When testing really starts ramping up and we see how many people actually have it, we're gonna see some lightbulbs go off.

The lightbulbs being how stupid it is to panic over a virus that the vast majority of people who get barely even have symptoms of. 

10 hours ago, MrBrown said:

it'd probably be super hard for teams to travel city to city right?  They usually go out to eat at restaurants.  I guess maybe the hotels are still cooking up meals.  I suppose someone could do food shopping and cook for them but that'd be a little insane.  It's not happening anytime soon.  They should play a shortened season and just eliminate crap teams like the O's, Red Sox, etc.  Don't need as many teams this year ha ha ha

Red Sox even without Betts have a good team.

3 minutes ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

Red Sox even without Betts have a good team.

No sorry they really don't.  They have one of the worst teams in baseball. This virus is saving them from embarrassment and low attendance.

6 hours ago, Thenewwildone8 said:

The lightbulbs being how stupid it is to panic over a virus that the vast majority of people who get barely even have symptoms of. 

Most people who've had it go several days without showing any symptoms.  Then they do.  We don't even have appropriate testing to determine if the number of people that are showing symptoms have it.

Social distancing isn't panic.  It's common sense at this point.  That's why everyone in this country is doing it.

Posted (edited)

@Thenewwildone8 - Ya, lots of money being lost.  Look at the economy?  20+% likely unemployment.  It's not doomsday, it's the reality of the situation.  For sure, 95+% will fight this off, but if you are like me with an aging parent, it is significantly more urgent to keep this at bay.  Yes, Italy has an aging population, but then look at States like Florida... you think that's not an overwhelmingly aging population?  People sticking their fingers in their ears saying 'this isn't a problem', is just ignorant.  It might not be for YOU, but it is for others if you carry it and pass it on. 

They are not 'playing a season' because it will cost too much lost revenue.  That's already the reality.  Businesses, and industries like hotel/food/travel-airlines, are being obliterated, so if you think baseball will be different and they'll just get back to playing you are sadly mistaken.  Even the idea that they will play with 'no one in the stands', so they can get TV revenue, in this atmosphere, is a pipe dream right now.

Edited by BigPapi44

So if the season is cancelled how many of you are coming back next year?  Does this kill off the casual player?  Do you find new things to do with your time and decide to not spend it on fantasy sports?

3 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

So if the season is cancelled how many of you are coming back next year?  Does this kill off the casual player?  Do you find new things to do with your time and decide to not spend it on fantasy sports?

I’m back day one. Tried to convince my league just before to have the draft as originally planned. I’m on an island apparently with that one.

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Without question. I’m devastated by the thought of not having baseball or fantasy baseball this year. I don’t think it’ll get that bad but the fact that we’re looking at June/July as likely start times is depressing. I just cancelled my Friday flight to Boston for our live draft and the draft is postponed to a later date once we know more. 

we have a 14 team deep keeper league and we drafted this past Sunday.  Had 1 owner who complained that we shouldn't do the draft but he participated.

I believe all 14 owners are hoping and waiting for the games to begin

1 hour ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I would think most here aren’t “casual.” So I don’t know that it applies much for those who have accounts here.

But IF the season were canceled, I actually wonder if there would be a bump next season. Could see many casuals being so excited for baseball/sports to be back that they decide to start up 🤷🏽‍♂️

2 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

I think there will be more excitement and interest. 

Gonna be interesting from a fantasy projection perspective because we won't have a whole season of data to use looking at aging and development.  

2 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

If that happens I'll be coming back twice as hard to get my fix... But you guys already know I'm addicted. 

Remember the strike season killed casual fandom in baseball.  Which is another reason why I think they will make sure they play this year.  The next few days of data are critical. 

Also I want to say all this we are 2 weeks behind Italy talk is absolute fear mongering the death rate (even with a lack of testing) in America is 1.81% (last night i saw 111 deaths in 6125 cases) Italy's death rate was always well above 5% and now is 8.95% as of an article I this morning.  I heard an expert yesterday say that the global death rate if you take out Italy and China is on a daily basis between 0.7% - 0.8% making it only 7 - 8 times as deadly as the seasonal flu.  Which I'm not down playing that because that is bad but not nearly as bad as the current 4% global death rate.  Again increasing efficiency for testing will continue to increase the denominator (# of cases) dropping the death rates.

The world has learned from previous pandemics and we are currently in the stage of over reaction which is a good thing.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

If that happens I'll be coming back twice as hard to get my fix... But you guys already know I'm addicted. 

Remember the strike season killed casual fandom in baseball.  Which is another reason why I think they will make sure they play this year.  The next few days of data are critical. 

Also I want to say all this we are 2 weeks behind Italy talk is absolute fear mongering the death rate (even with a lack of testing) in America is 1.81% (last night i saw 111 deaths in 6125 cases) Italy's death rate was always well above 5% and now is 8.95% as of an article I this morning.  I heard an expert yesterday say that the global death rate if you take out Italy and China is on a daily basis between 0.7% - 0.8% making it only 7 - 8 times as deadly as the seasonal flu.  Which I'm not down playing that because that is bad but not nearly as bad as the current 4% global death rate.  Again increasing efficiency for testing will continue to increase the denominator (# of cases) dropping the death rates.

The world has learned from previous pandemics and we are currently in the stage of over reaction which is a good thing.

The death rate is kinda irrelevant.  It is the absolute number of critically ill patients that is the issue relative to the absolute number of respirators and ICU beds.  And the health status of doctors and nurses taking care of them. 

I suppose if we get through this first wave maybe we could get a season in later. I still wonder what will happen with a second outbreak though. Do you stop games in that area? What if there is a quarantine in an area?  And with the long asymptomatic period  will we even be able to keep the outbreaks regional?  I could see starting the season and suddenly having to stop it again. And if there is even a risk for that, does the MLB just cancel the season?

Edited by bluefrogguy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bluefrogguy said:

The death rate is kinda irrelevant.  It is the absolute number of critically ill patients that is the issue relative to the absolute number of respirators and ICU beds.  And the health status of doctors and nurses taking care of them. 

I suppose if we get through this first wave maybe we could get a season in later. I still wonder what will happen with a second outbreak though. Do you stop games in that area? What if there is a quarantine in an area?  And with the long asymptomatic period  will we even be able to keep the outbreaks regional?  I could see starting the season and suddenly having to stop it again. And if there is even a risk for that, does the MLB just cancel the season?

Imagine believing the mortality rate during a pandemic is irrelevant.

2 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Imagine believing the mortality rate during a pandemic is irrelevant.

I know, right!  But a lot of people get hung up on comparing it to the 0.1% mortality rate of the flu, but miss the big picture that what matters is the absolute number of critically ill patients at once. You can get to a high number with a deadly virus, or, which is more likely a very high infection rate.