meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/3/2020 at 2:18 PM, The Big Bat Theory said:

Since most cases are  mild and they don't go to the hospital or have or have the option to even get tested so far then no one can say the cases are low in Arizona.  They could be a state full of asymptomatic plague rats for all we know.  Yeah probably not that bad but it is just as likely as them having only a very few cases.  We don't know UNTIL there is testing and with reliable test kits and not the ones that have been giving up to 30% false negatives.

Also Arizona's "few cases" are actually on the rise and the graph for them hasn't flattened or gone down yet.  Which is probably indicative of a lot more cases we don't know about.

This is exactly why the best metric to use up until this point has been deaths / million.

Also I haven't seen anyone estimate a 30% false negative rate on the tests.  From what I've seen it seems to be pretty agreed on by experts that it's currently 10-15% which is drastically higher than tried and true testing of say for the regular flu or strep.

All cases everywhere are on the rise.  Arizona has had extremely low cases reported, extremely low deaths reported.  That doesn't mean Arizona can't spiral out of control with cases but it does mean that it is less likely to happen at this point.  Everyone keeps hearing these states are just a couple weeks behind New York.  This is and was always totally false and no data I have seen supports this claim.  Yes NY may have peaked sooner than other states but other states not only handled it better, more serious, and sooner than NY these other states also don't have the population density of a NYC.  I can't see baseball in NYC a good idea at all this season.

1 hour ago, Rotocious said:

This is exactly why the best metric to use up until this point has been deaths / million.

Also I haven't seen anyone estimate a 30% false negative rate on the tests.  From what I've seen it seems to be pretty agreed on by experts that it's currently 10-15% which is drastically higher than tried and true testing of say for the regular flu or strep.

All cases everywhere are on the rise.  Arizona has had extremely low cases reported, extremely low deaths reported.  That doesn't mean Arizona can't spiral out of control with cases but it does mean that it is less likely to happen at this point.  Everyone keeps hearing these states are just a couple weeks behind New York.  This is and was always totally false and no data I have seen supports this claim.  Yes NY may have peaked sooner than other states but other states not only handled it better, more serious, and sooner than NY these other states also don't have the population density of a NYC.  I can't see baseball in NYC a good idea at all this season.

If people in NYC can go back to their office jobs and be around hundreds of people inside a building in May/June. The Mets and Yankees can play baseball outside in front of no one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

still haven’t heard a mlb plan...what are they waiting for? 

I’d assume for the owners and players union to come up with pay first. Players are saying the contract they already signed earlier in this already stipulates player pay, owners are saying it didn’t account for a lack of fans in the seats and want to negotiate to not pay near that amount. Then, you have to negotiate with states over testing, and every individual state needs to open up enough for games to be played without fans (if they go the route of all home parks). They cannot open up for some teams and not others at the same time as that creates a competitive advantage. Everything has to be able to start at once for everyone. 

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

Players are ripping this to shreds on Twitter. Flaherty just posted he hasn’t heard a word about this. Reddick too from the little I scrolled down. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

Players are ripping this to shreds on Twitter. Flaherty just posted he hasn’t heard a word about this. Reddick too from the little I scrolled down. 

Reddick is welcome to stay home. He's just taking playing time from Tucker at this point. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

Has Trevor been pretty credible as a reporter in the past?

Looks like a dude who wants to use the desperation we're feeling as fans to pimp his podcast.  If you add the words "if everything goes according to plan" to his statement, it might even be wrong.  But there's so much uncertainty that using the words "will start" is just plain irresponsible at this point.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, tonycpsu said:

Looks like a dude who wants to use the desperation we're feeling as fans to pimp his podcast.  If you add the words "if everything goes according to plan" to his statement, it might even be wrong.  But there's so much uncertainty that using the words "will start" is just plain irresponsible at this point.

It definitely seems unlikely that the union and owners resolved both the plan and the labor issue this clandestinely.

31 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

I can barely find anything on him outside of his podcast. He better be telling the truth or his life is about to get a whole lot worse. 

People acting like MLB controls when things open. They can formulate a plan all they want, if governments aren't opening then there's no baseball.

That said, glad MLB is busy trying to get something in the works.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

So Law shoots it down, but Phil Hughes is joining Plouffe in the "former players with sources" camp.

This is weird.

https://mobile.twitter.com/PJHughes45/status/1257454475922542594?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Hughes also posted on Plouffes Twitter he was joking. https://mobile.twitter.com/PJHughes45/status/1257446885536739328

Edited by daynlokki

4 hours ago, Jyeatbvg said:

People acting like MLB controls when things open. They can formulate a plan all they want, if governments aren't opening then there's no baseball.

Well more like the coronavirus doesn't give a fig about a baseball season.  Now with leaks about death rate models going way up as well as deaths started to go up in states that thought they were out of the virus loop for some insane reason (no real testing going on for several months) things are all up in the air.  I hope they break the news gently to Mr Plouffe who btw is still in Yahoo's database of players.  Not officially retired so may hope to play MLB again which is yet another pipe dream of his it seems.

• Haha 1

"You know what sucks about using a pandemic to pimp your 's**t'? Sometimes people call you out on it and expose you as a hack." 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, tonycpsu said:

"You know what sucks about using a pandemic to pimp your 's**t'? Sometimes people call you out on it and expose you as a hack." 

The price we pay for hearing so many voices in real time all at once is that we all become amateur fact checkers and generally speaking, we suck at it.

At least I know I do.  But I try.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Which is the part where he walks it back? Is it before or after the part where he doubles down on it?

I’m not saying he’s right. I just didn’t interpret this as walking it back. We won’t know more until there is a consensus in the mediocre baseball community. So far Trevor Plouffe and Phil Hughes have spoken. Have we heard from Aaron Hill or Jack Cust? Does Mickey Morandini have anything to report?

Edited by TheForearmShiver

Here's Plouffe explaining the situation.  Says it hasn't been proposed to the MLBPA, which would explain why some players are denying it.  His sources must front office folks.

21 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Here's Plouffe explaining the situation.  Says it hasn't been proposed to the MLBPA, which would explain why some players are denying it.  His sources must front office folks.

Ok, but I agree with some others, even if true, "will start" before the Union votes on it sounds deliberately misleading and undermines his credibility.

2 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Which is the part where he walks it back? Is it before or after the part where he doubles down on it?

One of his ‘sources’ was Phil Hughes who posted on the original he was joking then retweeted Keith Law saying it was false. 

2 hours ago, TheForearmShiver said:

I’m not saying he’s right. I just didn’t interpret this as walking it back. We won’t know more until there is a consensus in the mediocre baseball community. So far Trevor Plouffe and Phil Hughes have spoken. Have we heard from Aaron Hill or Jack Cust? Does Mickey Morandini have anything to report?

Same as above lol.