meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Well, if a team is communicating that date to their players, then they're must be some legs to the Plouffe thing.

A team set that as a line in the sand date. As in they think if it’s not done by that date there will be no season, not necessarily that the season WILL begin that date. As that’s the latest date they see it happening it makes sense to have your players gear up as if it could begin then. 

Edited by daynlokki
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

Well, if a team is communicating that date to their players, then they're must be some legs to the Plouffe thing.

Why?  No other team did that?  Plouffe isn't any kind of official and repeating gossip or fourth-hand hearsay isn't anything official.

• Like 1

So basically teams are telling their players to be prepared just in case, unless we are to believe the Indians are the lone, rogue team that wants their players to prepare and not be sitting around getting fat in case the season happens. It doesn't mean it's official, but it also doesn't mean that those dates aren't the actual dates that the MLB is shooting for. I do agree the way Plouffe worded his tweet was misleading though. 

• Like 2

Well we should dissect the tweet and discuss it for a few more days until the next semi useless piece of info comes out. Then we can do it again :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Why?  No other team did that?  Plouffe isn't any kind of official and repeating gossip or fourth-hand hearsay isn't anything official.

That you know of.

Passan said teams (plural) are advising their players to "get ready", referencing the Indians specifically.

Edited by 89Topps
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, daynlokki said:

A team set that as a line in the sand date. As in they think if it’s not done by that date there will be no season, not necessarily that the season WILL begin that date. As that’s the latest date they see it happening it makes sense to have your players gear up as if it could begin then. 

Where are you getting that?  That wasn't in the Rosenthal tweet or the Passan interview.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Where are you getting that?  That wasn't in the Rosenthal tweet or the Passan interview.

According to sources, officials from at least one team, the Indians, gave their players a “mark in the sand” Tuesday for Opening Day — July 1, the same date former major leaguer Trevor Plouffe had mentioned in a tweet Monday.

https://theathletic.com/1796879/2020/05/06/rosenthal-though-one-team-has-discussed-a-july-1-mlb-return-no-plan-is-close-to-firm?source=user-shared-article

Although I think "mark in the sand" can be interpreted as "a moving target" as in "sand shifts and isn't carved in stone" as well.  It's kinda cryptic wording, much like, well everything else coming to us right now because it's an extremely complex and evolving situation.

Edited by JE7HorseGod

1 minute ago, JE7HorseGod said:

According to sources, officials from at least one team, the Indians, gave their players a “mark in the sand” Tuesday for Opening Day — July 1, the same date former major leaguer Trevor Plouffe had mentioned in a tweet Monday.

https://theathletic.com/1796879/2020/05/06/rosenthal-though-one-team-has-discussed-a-july-1-mlb-return-no-plan-is-close-to-firm?source=user-shared-article

Although I think "mark in the sand" can be interpreted as "a moving target" as in "sand shifts and isn't carved in stone" as well.

Sorry, didn't realize the Rosenthal tweet linked an article.  "Mark in the sand" is an odd phrase to use.  I would be inclined to think your interpretation would be more apt than the traditional "line in the sand" idiom.  Of course, that could just be me wanting to read it that way.

• Like 1

Having now read the rest of the Rosenthal article, I don't think "mark in the sand" means "line in the sand" as in a "drop dead date".

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

Having now read the rest of the Rosenthal article, I don't think "mark in the sand" means "line in the sand" as in a "drop dead date".

What date would you consider the last possible date to start if not early July? 

Just now, daynlokki said:

What date would you consider the last possible date to start if not early July? 

I don't know. 

• Like 1

Just now, 89Topps said:

I don't know. 

Ding ding ding.

NBA currently even as they are opening up are telling teams to not test asymptomatic individuals. 

13 minutes ago, TheForearmShiver said:

Well, that's a little more reputable than Trevor Plouffe, isn't it?

[ Posts removed. If you're just citing updated  case/fatality rates, do it in the general COVID thread and don't cross-post here.] 

Passan's article.  Similar to Sherman's.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Passan's article.  Similar to Sherman's.

Next week should be interesting.

The labor negotiations are what I see being the biggest issue.  I feel like owners are gonna come back for more with the lost gate revenue, we'll probably have to figure a week or two of back and forth negotiations at the least.

Adaptability to positive tests can be resolved with longer season series (say 6 games instead of 3 or 4) and the three "division" scenario - you can quarantine the two teams in question for 14 days if it happens.  It's not perfect but better than nothing.

And of course if there's a huge spike in cases all bets are off.  But so far, so good, new cases are down again today, rolling 7 day average continues to drop.

• Like 1

Here it is your latest Rotoworld blurb:

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that Major League Baseball is expected to present to the MLBPA soon a proposal that will include what the season will look like if spring training 2.0 began in June and the regular season in July.

The proposal could be presented as soon as the end of this week and no later than early next week, per Sherman. It doesn't necessarily mean the season beginning in early July is likely or even possible, but the planning needs to begin now in the event that the most optimistic scenario plays out. There are many things that need to be worked out, including how the players will be paid. The players already agreed to give up 1/162nd of their base pay for each regular season game lost, but MLB is expected to ask them to take additional cuts if, as expected, games are played with no fans in the stands.

Source: New York Post                                May 6, 2020, 3:01 PM ET

• Like 1

At this point, the conversation among us fans is dead. We must just sit and wait to hear what this proposal is and if its accepted. At that point, we can carry on this conversation.. untill then, we have exhausted all back and forth discussions.

• Like 1

Rumor has it they will start allowing fans back In Miami, Tampa and Baltimore first.   They have been known to practicing  social distancing for a while now. 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Welcome To My House said:

Rumor has it they will start allowing fans back In Miami, Tampa and Baltimore first.   They have been known to practicing  social distancing for a while now. 

Baltimore is a current hot spot.

Just now, FouLLine said:

It was a joke due to low attendance but Florida Governor did say the following

"As much as I hate to say it, (the Marlins) are not selling out ... It's kind of social distancing anyways because the stadium is usually only about a quarter full," Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis said Thursday on Sean Hannity's radio show while was discussing how Americans "need baseball back."

• Haha 2

On 5/7/2020 at 12:20 AM, jonninho said:

At this point, the conversation among us fans is dead. We must just sit and wait to hear what this proposal is and if its accepted. At that point, we can carry on this conversation.. untill then, we have exhausted all back and forth discussions.

The beauty of sports is the conversation is never done.  I love hearing everyone's speculation.  Hell that's basically all fantasy sports are in a way, speculation.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, FouLLine said:

you are obviously oblivious to what sarcasm is...

• Like 1