meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

Couldn't agree more. I just hope the greed doesn't turn too ugly. Its been a rough year for a lot of people. A little baseball can go a long way in taking our minds off this for a few hours a day. If they get CDC clearance and ample testing and we still don't get baseball because of differences in compensation it will be a black eye on the sport that really can't afford it.

No doubt about it. I’m confident they’ll eventually come to an agreement for this reason.

I’m more worried about the health aspect and what happens when someone inevitably tests positive. As you saw in the White House this week, it’s inevitable that it’s going to happen at some point. Are you really going to quarantine a whole team for 14 days in a season that’s already only 82 games? 

My other concern is we really need to scale up testing. Right now it’d be too big a mess from a PR standpoint if players and everyone else involved was getting tested daily while frontline workers, healthcare workers in particular, aren’t able to get adequate testing. Testing is obviously moving in the right direction. By July 4th will it be to the point where MLB can test nearly everyone daily without looking completely inconsiderate? I hope so but I don’t know. 

Edited by TrueToTheBlue

10 hours ago, TrueToTheBlue said:

No doubt about it. I’m confident they’ll eventually come to an agreement for this reason.

I’m more worried about the health aspect and what happens when someone inevitably tests positive. As you saw in the White House this week, it’s inevitable that it’s going to happen at some point. Are you really going to quarantine a whole team for 14 days in a season that’s already only 82 games? 

My other concern is we really need to scale up testing. Right now it’d be too big a mess from a PR standpoint if players and everyone else involved was getting tested daily while frontline workers, healthcare workers in particular, aren’t able to get adequate testing. Testing is obviously moving in the right direction. By July 4th will it be to the point where MLB can test nearly everyone daily without looking completely inconsiderate? I hope so but I don’t know. 

My guess is that the team is going to be testing these players on a regular basis. There's no reason to send people home who tests negative. If one of their guys tests positive they'll send that guy home but as long as the other ones are testing negative I see no logical reason why they will be sent home.

• Like 1

https://theathletic.com/1810807/2020/05/12/rosenthal-mlb-to-submit-health-and-safety-protocols-to-the-union-for-input-approval?source=user-shared-article

Over the weekend, St. Louis Cardinals reliever Andrew Miller said that unless Major League Baseball could assure player safety for the 2020 season, “We’re wasting our breath with everything else.”

The first major step in the league’s attempt to provide that assurance is coming.

The league, which made a presentation Tuesday to the Major League Baseball Players Association on how to restart the season, soon plans to present the union with an 80-page document outlining potential health and safety protocols for the COVID-19 pandemic, sources said.

The document is expected to cover a wide range of topics, including testing, procedures for the possibility a player or staff member becomes ill and guidelines for clubhouses, hotels and transportation. The protocols will be subject to union input and approval.

After a public back-and-forth Monday on the league’s plan to ask players to accept a one-time, 50-50 division of revenue for the 2020 season, the parties spoke about economics as well as health and safety Tuesday, but the league did not formally propose its revenue-sharing idea.

No meeting is planned Wednesday, but conversations are expected to continue in the coming days. Once the union receives the league’s document on health and safety, it likely will need time to digest the plan and prepare a response.

To proceed with the season, the league also will need approval from various federal agencies as well as state governments. League officials anticipate the need to be flexible with scheduling, knowing that even as games begin without fans, not all states will open to baseball at the same time.

Baseball’s lead medical consultant on the virus is Dr. Ali S. Khan, the dean of the college of public health at the University of Nebraska Medical Center. Khan spent nearly two decades in a variety of positions with the Centers for Disease and Control (CDC), most recently as the director of the office of public health preparedness and response.

The union also is in regular contact with medical consultants who offer a mix of government and research experience, and at least two agencies that represent players also have enlisted experts to speak with their clients.

Excel Sports Management, which represents golfers and NBA players and baseball stars such as Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke and Paul Goldschmidt, hired a former commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration and a 20-year veteran of the CDC who does not wish to be identified.

Scott Boras, whose client list includes Gerrit Cole, Max Scherzer and Anthony Rendon, arranged for a number of medical experts to speak to his players on a conference call Monday. The players spent more than two hours gathering information and asking questions on a wide range of issues regarding COVID-19, including therapeutics, eventual vaccines and the possible long-term effects of the virus.

“We want to figure out how safe we can make not only the players but our coaches who are now in an age bracket with a higher risk, our medical staff, our training staff,” one player said, speaking on the condition of anonymity. “How about all the non-uniformed players who help us perform? The analysts? The scouts? We’re not just looking out for us. It’s not right for us to look out just for ourselves.”

• Like 1

I think wearing a mask works if you are wearing it once then either throwing it out or washing it, if it is in fact washable. I am skeptical that most people are doing this. 

20 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

I think wearing a mask works if you are wearing it once then either throwing it out or washing it, if it is in fact washable. I am skeptical that most people are doing this. 

MLB should be marketing licensed washable team masks en masse.

7 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

MLB should be marketing licensed washable team masks en masse.

i believe all teams have them now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29174318/rays-ace-blake-snell-says-refuses-play-reduced-salary

I still a firm believer this season will never get going. It hurts but damnit the baseball Gods have spoken. 

I believe it is fine for players to feel the way Snell feels, however, i disagree with the way it was handled on his part. Given the situation many people not only in America, but the whole world find themselves in financially, to hear him making remarks such as ' i aint getting paid ****' along with many other greedy comments is not going to go over well for his fan base, or the baseball fanbase. To be honest, i have nothing against Snell, but, these comments really hit hard in some ways and in a very negative way. I think Snell will be the exception in the situation.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shakestreet said:

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29174318/rays-ace-blake-snell-says-refuses-play-reduced-salary

I still a firm believer this season will never get going. It hurts but damnit the baseball Gods have spoken. 

It's been apparent since before the owners voted on it the players were going to reject a revenue share model.  Tony Clark said as much.  The question now is what the Union counters with.

5 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

It's been apparent since before the owners voted on it the players were going to reject a revenue share model.  Tony Clark said as much.  The question now is what the Union counters with.

Agreed. I think it was always the belief, but, for someone to come out so bluntly and talk about not getting paid ****.. its a little jaw dropping given the situation in the world.

Just now, jonninho said:

Agreed. I think it was always the belief, but, for someone to come out so bluntly and talk about not getting paid ****.. its a little jaw dropping given the situation in the world.

The owners have a little more polish to their message - but make no mistake they are initiating the argument.

image.jpeg.49e9a49ae6412b86eeeff5b393d4d7a0.jpeg

cant wait till each player has a replica of their face on personalized mask when we start up

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, JE7HorseGod said:

The owners have a little more polish to their message - but make no mistake they are initiating the argument.

Polish matters if you're going to fight this battle in the public arena. The owners are baiting the players and this is them taking the bait. 

Naw, players are taking the health risk. Owners need to put up or just end it now. Majority will sympathize with players here. 

3 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

Naw, players are taking the health risk. Owners need to put up or just end it now. Majority will sympathize with players here. 

You're 100% right. Owners arent taking the risk. Players are.. but, just watching the Snell video, and his tone and attitude was kind of disturbing. He isnt wrong. He along with all the players are facing severe pay cuts, and taking in significant risk, although at the same time, these guys are going to be surrounded by the best doctors health care has to offer (unlike you or me would be) while still getting paid potentially millions of dollars (as is the case in Snells case, even with the pay decrease) and yet he views it as **** when somebody like you or me arent collecting a single dime.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Hanghow said:

Polish matters if you're going to fight this battle in the public arena. The owners are baiting the players and this is them taking the bait. 

I mean, Snell's being honest.  Generally speaking, "hazard pay" doesn't include giving your employer more of your salary.

The whole nation is grappling with a conversation about economics vs safety.  You can't expect a Union of hundreds of players to communicate a message better than 30 billionaires who literally have people on the payroll who work on PR.

3 hours ago, shakestreet said:

Wouldn't Snell still make 1/2 of his 2020 Salary if they played 82 games instead of 162 ? 3.5 Million vs. full salary of 7 Mill ? .....

I hope he is in the minority here. Risk yes, but no fans and earning Approx $42,683 per ballgame is nothing to sneeze at. And he would have to pitch only once every 5 days. (16 times) not counting playoffs. 

2 hours ago, JE7HorseGod said:

You can't expect a Union of hundreds of players to communicate a message better than 30 billionaires who literally have people on the payroll who work on PR.

The players have access to PR through their agents and union. The billionaires just have better messaging discipline; understandable due to age and the number of people involved and backgrounds, but it's not for lack of resources. The union would be wise to lean on their members to exercise messaging discipline right now and limit social media posts on the matter.

5 hours ago, shakestreet said:

pack it in then

F it.

on another note, baseball in such rapid decline in the world, you’d think they might do something about it. Be innovative, try some ideas...but naw, we gonna watch Blake play vids and cry over a buck when folks can’t pay for groceries. Yea man, baseball IS my favorite sport ..but this just hurts. 
talk radio saying 2020 COULD mark the year baseball quit existing...I don’t believe it, but there’s talk...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, papaphunk said:

Wouldn't Snell still make 1/2 of his 2020 Salary if they played 82 games instead of 162 ? 3.5 Million vs. full salary of 7 Mill ? .....

I hope he is in the minority here. Risk yes, but no fans and earning Approx $42,683 per ballgame is nothing to sneeze at. And he would have to pitch only once every 5 days. (16 times) not counting playoffs. 

No as the owners want it tied to revenue  players would only get a portion of the TV contract for the week. The way they made it seemed like it would be 50% of their salary but the figure is closer to probably 25%. They already have an agreement for pay that would prorate salaries based on games played (81 games would pay half of a salary). Owners say they will lose money with that. 

On 5/11/2020 at 12:11 PM, JE7HorseGod said:

I would say there are pretty good odds that this week gets ugly.

Hopefully it will lead to an agreement that gets us baseball at some point, but if seeing the sausage get made is not your bag, yeah I would tune out for a bit.

This is proving to be a rather prophetic post. I think a deal gets done in the next week but it’s not much fun right now seeing things play out in the public with everything else going on.

• Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, daynlokki said:

No as the owners want it tied to revenue  players would only get a portion of the TV contract for the week. The way they made it seemed like it would be 50% of their salary but the figure is closer to probably 25%. They already have an agreement for pay that would prorate salaries based on games played (81 games would pay half of a salary). Owners say they will lose money with that. 

Then figure the crazy amount of taxes they pay and agent/management fees...Players could be looking at netting 10%.  Sure it is still good money I suppose, but if you were Snell would you risk injury or illness while taking home 10 to 15% of your contract?  I wouldn't.

I believe we're still just looking at an initial offer which is an intentional lowball from MLB anyways.  We'll see how negotiations go.  Of course, even if they agreed to full regular game checks there will still be some player who won't want to risk it.  PARTICULARLY any player with underlying conditions.  (For example, Adam Duvall has type 1 diabetes.  He isn't a big name, but is who I thought of off the top of my head.)

53 minutes ago, meh2 said:

This is proving to be a rather prophetic post. I think a deal gets done in the next week but it’s not much fun right now seeing things play out in the public with everything else going on.

Unfortunately all too predictable given the initial posturing by the principals.

I'm still hopeful we'll get there, but we need to see if the Union offers a counter first.

Boras said it best. "Don't privatize the gains and socialize the losses."

• Like 3