meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, slowride said:

Then figure the crazy amount of taxes they pay and agent/management fees...Players could be looking at netting 10%.  Sure it is still good money I suppose, but if you were Snell would you risk injury or illness while taking home 10 to 15% of your contract?  I wouldn't.

I believe we're still just looking at an initial offer which is an intentional lowball from MLB anyways.  We'll see how negotiations go.  Of course, even if they agreed to full regular game checks there will still be some player who won't want to risk it.  PARTICULARLY any player with underlying conditions.  (For example, Adam Duvall has type 1 diabetes.  He isn't a big name, but is who I thought of off the top of my head.)

Pretty sure he would make more under the current plan if the season is canceled. 
There are several. Mancini and Carrasco are also those with underlying conditions. 

Edited by daynlokki

1 hour ago, duke of queens said:

Boras said it best. "Don't privatize the gains and socialize the losses."

...and we don't even know what the "gains" and "losses" look like, they haven't let anyone see the books.

Who would trade a fixed salary for a 50/50 split of an amount that that your "partner" wouldn't even show you?

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

...and we don't even know what the "gains" and "losses" look like, they haven't let anyone see the books.

Who would trade a fixed salary for a 50/50 split of an amount that that your "partner" wouldn't even show you?

Waiting for the owners to show zero profits and be like, well you signed off on profit sharing. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, daynlokki said:

Waiting for the owners to show zero profits and be like, well you signed off on profit sharing. 

"No no, you don't understand. My television station is a separate business entity, as is the memorabilia store, the concessions vendor, and the luxury box management company."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Profit sharing isn't a great option with private companies who likely profit off the enterprise in a number of ways; that's all. Public companies that have public filings and can get in big trouble for fudging records? Sure. Private companies with majority owners who rely on the one enterprise for income and would, again, get in big trouble for fudging tax records? Sure. Billionaire owners who profit off the enterprise in numerous ways? You have to take a guess at how much they can afford to pay and do your best to get that out of them. Anybody basing pay on profit-sharing in that situation is a sucker; you'll never get a true number out of them. They may not even know what the number is and I doubt they'll try very hard to get it for you.

Edited by Hanghow
  • Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 10:04 AM, tucker26 said:

Naw, players are taking the health risk. Owners need to put up or just end it now. Majority will sympathize with players here. 

I don't know about that.  Those of us who have taken the time to learn about the situation will probably side with the players, but John Q Public just thinks players are overpaid for "playing a game", and probably never gives a thought to who owns the team and how rich they are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

I don't know about that.  Those of us who have taken the time to learn about the situation will probably side with the players, but John Q Public just thinks players are overpaid for "playing a game", and probably never gives a thought to who owns the team and how rich they are.

1994 all over again.  Players need to get their message out a lot more eloquently than what Mr Snell had to say.  They've got a legitimate gripe,  but optics matter

• Like 4

8 hours ago, WahooManiac said:

1994 all over again.  Players need to get their message out a lot more eloquently than what Mr Snell had to say.  They've got a legitimate gripe,  but optics matter

This.

• Like 1

Latest "plan" as in still not cobbled together in total.  And yeah 10,000 tests a week?   What could possibly go wrong here.

Jeff Passan of ESPN reports that MLB plans to process upward of 10,000 COVID-19 tests per week, according to a draft of the league's health-and-safety manual.

Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich of The Athletic also reported details of the manual. The plan calls to separate people into tiers, with Tier One including players, on-field personnel and medical personnel and Tier Two consisting of other "essential" employees, like front office staff. These two groups would be tested for the coronavirus multiple times a week, as well as their families. Interestingly, MLB plans to "offer free diagnostic and antibody/serology testing" for healthcare workers and first responders in MLB cities as a public service. Other parts of the manual are focused on social distancing initiatives, such as banning the use of high-fives, first-bumps, and spitting. Players will also be discouraged from showering at the ballpark or being allowed to use taxis or ride-sharing services. Multiple sections were missing from the information provided to Passan, so this isn't a complete picture of what a potential season would look like, but what we do know sounds incredibly complicated. As of now, the hope is for a spring training 2.0 to begin in mid-June, with the start of the season coming in early July.

Source: ESPN.com                             May 16, 2020, 4:01 PM ET

Summary.  Throw in some tests for health care workers for PR reasons even though these workers are FINALLY getting testing at long last anyway but forget tests for the general public.  Sorry but the cynic in me see this as PR stuff and not real stuff to help out.  Also go home and shower and don't spit at the ball park.  If endless spitting actually ceases to be a thing at ball parks I for one will declare it the most wonderful miracle of the modern era.  So far no subsection on sunflower seed shell spitting though.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Latest "plan" as in still not cobbled together in total.  And yeah 10,000 tests a week?   What could possibly go wrong here.

Summary.  Throw in some tests for health care workers for PR reasons even though these workers are FINALLY getting testing at long last anyway but forget tests for the general public.  Sorry but the cynic in me see this as PR stuff and not real stuff to help out.  Also go home and shower and don't spit at the ball park.  If endless spitting actually ceases to be a thing at ball parks I for one will declare it the most wonderful miracle of the modern era.  So far no subsection on sunflower seed shell spitting though.

And I, for one, enthusiastically welcome the possibility of watching a Madison Bumgarner start without having to worry about seeing this: https://bumgarnersnotrockets.wordpress.com

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Nothing about hookers either.

• Haha 7

14 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It's my understanding MLB will be paying for tests that wouldn't be created otherwise.  So they're not taking tests away from the general public, which is what the players wanted.

Probably a good amount of additional revenue for the testing companies to improve their product.

Add in some additional tests for first responders & health care workers as a charitable gesture.

Really, not much of a negative here, although I'm sure plenty of people will spin it otherwise.

• Like 4

On 5/17/2020 at 10:33 AM, 89Topps said:

Nothing about hookers either.

The league would really have to hire ones that were under strict quarnetine and they'd need to get tested multiple times a day... hopefully for more than just covid. 82 game suspension for getting caught with non MLB approved hookers.  Second time full season.  Wait maybe those numbers should get cut in half with us losing half the season.

I'm suspecting we'll hear the player's union counter offer to the revenue share idea this week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Backdoor Slider said:

Astros vs Rangers everyday!