meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

Ok I stand corrected but never heard that in common talk ever.

• Like 1

There's probably a few different ways to read that the owners are waiting til tomorrow to show the final financial proposal.

One way, of course, is that they've been dragging their feet until the 11th hour so that the union has less time to read and counter.  There's probably some of that going on.

However, based on what I read on Austin Hedges (the Padres rep for the MLBPA) comments on Tuesday, it sounds like discussion has been ongoing and they already have input from the players in the hopes of a better compromise.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/story/2020-05-18/padres-hedges-optimistic-mlb-season-player-rep%3f_amp=true

“Over the last 48 hours, it really feels like we’re getting some stuff done,” the Padres catcher said Monday afternoon. “I really do believe we’re to a point where a decision will be made. … I feel very confident it’s going to happen.”

It's possible (although I'd say unlikely) this gets wrapped up tomorrow with a revised proposal.

Make that VERY unlikely this gets wrapped up tomorrow, Austin.

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the MLBPA is expecting an economic proposal early next week. 

While many of the proposed finances for the shortened seasons have been widely discussed, there's been no actual proposal from the owners. Heyman notes that the rumored 50-50 revenue split is "all but sure" to be shut down by the players, but also that the prorated agreement made in March is equally opposed by Major League Baseball. In addition to the safety precautions set forth in a 67-page document, there's much work to be done between the players and owners come to an agreement to begin the season this summer. 

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter                        May 21, 2020, 11:21 AM ET

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Make that VERY unlikely this gets wrapped up tomorrow, Austin.

LOL, that part was my own editorializing.

Yeah as I said, obviously the two sides started far apart.

What's missing from the RW blurb is the context provided by Hedges quote that they have been working on said compromise since the owners' intentions have been made public.

More Rotoworld blurbs on this stuff:

Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that the MLBPA is "livid" over a recently leaked MLB email discussed in the New York Post.

The March 26 email is from an MLB lawyer to top league officials that "documents the substance of talks between two MLB officials and two MLBPA officials," per The Post's Joel Sherman. Sherman writes that, among the seven points covered, was MLB explaining to the union officials that MLB "would need a second negotiation if games were not played in front of fans to determine pay and claims that union officials understood that concept." MLBPA executive director Tony Clark has said previously that negotiations regarding salary adjustment for players were completed in March. Meanwhile, Heyman also notes that the MLBPA has yet to receive requested economic paperwork from MLB which it requested back on March 13.

Source: Jon Heyman on Twitter                                       May 21, 2020, 3:42 PM ET

And another as this goes on and on:

Evan Drellich of The Athletic reports that the MLBPA has delivered its response to Major League Baseball's health and safety proposal.

The MLBPA has referred to its response as "wide-ranging" and among the topics it touches on, per Drellich, is "testing frequency, protocols for positive tests, in-stadium medical personnel, protections for high-risk players and family, access to pre- and post-game therapies and sanitization protocols." Obviously, there figures to be plenty of back-and-forth between MLB and MLBPA on the health and safety issues before any agreement might be reached.

Source: Evan Drellich on Twitter                      May 21, 2020, 4:12 PM ET

This will be the death of the MLB if the season does not take place. This sport can not suffer another lost season when everything else appears to be working hard to get back to their respective sport.

17 minutes ago, jonninho said:

This will be the death of the MLB if the season does not take place. This sport can not suffer another lost season when everything else appears to be working hard to get back to their respective sport.

I don't know about "death" - people still watch competitive hot dog eating contests and spelling bees.  But it's a sport that was already losing popularity amongst younger people and another work stoppage certainly won't help.

• Like 1

On the flip side of the coin it will be a massive boon for the sport if they make it happen and get on the airwaves, TV audiences are hungry for fresh content, could attract a lot more fans

Under such a scenario the real question would then become do Silver, Bettman, and Goodell sit idly by while MLB has its yearly monopoly on meaningful major league sports from around mid-June until early September, or do they think about putting a competing product on the court/ice/field that can compete during what could be a short respite between the first and second waves of the virus.

4 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Under such a scenario the real question would then become do Silver, Bettman, and Goodell sit idly by while MLB has its yearly monopoly on meaningful major league sports from around mid-June until early September, or do they think about putting a competing product on the court/ice/field that can compete during what could be a short respite between the first and second waves of the virus.

I think if they dont want to disrupt the 20-21 season too much basketball and hockey will have to start in July or Aug. Imo I dont think the world stops again if there is a 2nd wave, but I could be wrong.

21 minutes ago, duke of queens said:

I think if they dont want to disrupt the 20-21 season too much basketball and hockey will have to start in July or Aug. Imo I dont think the world stops again if there is a 2nd wave, but I could be wrong.

Everything is already disrupted for the leagues and clubs financially.  If I'm Silver or Bettman, I'm asking my clubs whether they want some money now in exchange for some possible disruption of the calendar for the next season, and I feel like a lot of clubs that are furloughing and laying off employees are going to take that offer.

3 hours ago, tonycpsu said:

Everything is already disrupted for the leagues and clubs financially.  If I'm Silver or Bettman, I'm asking my clubs whether they want some money now in exchange for some possible disruption of the calendar for the next season, and I feel like a lot of clubs that are furloughing and laying off employees are going to take that offer.

Money from who? MLB? NBA prints money they don't need it. NHL might take it but they are already talking playoffs so who knows.

Last in the negotiations:

Evan Drellich of The Athletic writes that Major League Baseball "plans to deliver a new economics proposal to the Players Association on Tuesday."

It presumably won't include any language about revenue sharing, as the MLBPA has called that idea a "non-starter" in negotiations. The two parties seem to be working toward an agreement on the health and safety aspect of the return-to-play initiative, but there are many elements to be sorted out on the financial end. Look for a more concrete update on the process around the middle of next week. MLB is apparently hoping to resume spring training around early-to-mid June before launching a shortened regular season in early July.

Source: Evan Drellich on Twitter                 May 22, 2020, 5:43 PM ET

• Like 1

Obviously, i can not speak for everybody. But, i am certainly extremely optimistic we will have a baseball season. Truthfully, i think both the union and the league realize baseball can not survive another lost season when the other major leagues are doing their parts and trying to get back to it.

Curious how long these negotiations last. Various sources are suggesting it will be a rather quick one, which, i think needs to happen if the MLB plans on getting started first week of July when taking into consideration the spring training 2.0 process.

• Like 1

I don't know.  The traditional in baseball,  like high five, cant be replaced 

21 minutes ago, jonninho said:

Obviously, i can not speak for everybody. But, i am certainly extremely optimistic we will have a baseball season. Truthfully, i think both the union and the league realize baseball can not survive another lost season when the other major leagues are doing their parts and trying to get back to it.

Curious how long these negotiations last. Various sources are suggesting it will be a rather quick one, which, i think needs to happen if the MLB plans on getting started first week of July when taking into consideration the spring training 2.0 process.

Current iteration of the plan calls for a July 4th start and a June 10th ST start.  That'd be two weeks from Wednesday.

Logistically, you'd think they'd need to have a plan ironed out by the end of next week or so to get to the church on time.

Course, they could always change the timing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, urban2014 said:

I don't know.  The traditional in baseball,  like high five, cant be replaced 

I don't care about high fives lol.  Players will get creative in ways to celebrate and could be even more fun to see.  A lot of times the Yankees players don't even do high fives alymore.  They slap forearms together.