meh2

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Baseball Impact

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that MLB owners have approved to a proposal to give to players which includes a "sliding scale of compensation."

What won't be included is the 50-50 revenue split which was agreed to by owners two weeks ago but never formally introduced to the union. Under this new proposal, the players making the most money will take the biggest paycuts while those earning the least will receive most of their guaranteed salaries. The specifics involved aren't yet clear, but players already agreed in March to be paid on a pro-rated basis, essentially forgoing half of their salaries. This new plan was supposed to be sent to the MLBPA in the afternoon as the two sides try to come to an agreement on a possible start date for the season following the coronavirus shutdown. The goal has been a mid-June spring training 2.0 and an early-July Opening Day.

SOURCE: USA Today
May 26, 2020, 11:14 AM ET
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

More negotiations:

Bob Nightengale of USA Today reports that MLB owners have approved to a proposal to give to players which includes a "sliding scale of compensation."

What won't be included is the 50-50 revenue split which was agreed to by owners two weeks ago but never formally introduced to the union. Under this new proposal, the players making the most money will take the biggest paycuts while those earning the least will receive most of their guaranteed salaries. The specifics involved aren't yet clear, but players already agreed in March to be paid on a pro-rated basis, essentially forgoing half of their salaries. This new plan was supposed to be sent to the MLBPA in the afternoon as the two sides try to come to an agreement on a possible start date for the season following the coronavirus shutdown. The goal has been a mid-June spring training 2.0 and an early-July Opening Day.

Source: USA Today                       May 26, 2020, 11:14 AM ET

PS:  We both posted within seconds, heh.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

More negotiations:

Maybe if they rephrased the word “compensation” and replace it with “salary deferment” the players might go for it.  

Sliding scale sounds like it was devised to create a wedge between the higher salaries guys and the lower salaries guys.

Owners should defer the salaries of the higher earners to next year and then we should be good to go.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

Sliding scale sounds like it was devised to create a wedge between the higher salaries guys and the lower salaries guys.

Owners should defer the salaries of the higher earners to next year and then we should be good to go.

That was my impression the instant I read it. A la the NFL's (successful) proposal. Pretty funny.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

Shortly thereafter...

https://mobile.twitter.com/STR0/status/1265409410274385921

I get that they are disappointed by the sliding scale proposal without dispensation, particularly a guy who signed a one 12 million dollar deal.  Owners have to make this right for the stars.

I suspect we'll see deferrals here as part of the next revision.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
52 minutes ago, JE7HorseGod said:

I suspect we'll see deferrals here as part of the next revision.

Agreed because if not - the season is over.

P.S. - it's the only fair solution imo and thus the only realistic one.

Edited by SuperJoint
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SuperJoint said:

Agreed because if not - the season is over.

P.S. - it's the only fair solution imo and thus the only realistic one.

Quite, in both respects.

It's certainly possible the owners will let greed get the best of them (again).  But I'm holding out hope they won't be as short sighted as they were in '94.  We'll find out soon enough.

Just now, JE7HorseGod said:

Quite, in both respects.

It's certainly possible the owners will let greed get the best of them (again).  But I'm holding out hope they won't be as short sighted as they were in '94.  We'll find out soon enough.

I think public pressure will have some impact - which will be very pro-player only because any obstacle to baseball being played is going to be the hated side from a publicity perspective. Owners care about publicity, ratings, other things that make money, etc.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SuperJoint said:

I think public pressure will have some impact - which will be very pro-player only because any obstacle to baseball being played is going to be the hated side from a publicity perspective. Owners care about publicity, ratings, other things that make money, etc.

I disagree. If you look at the comments made in media and by a lot of fans, its about how the millionaire players are selfish. I vehemently disagree with this, but it seems like the owners win this PR battle every time. Think of NFL players holding out, college players sitting out, home town discounts. Fans always get mad at the players that are held hostage by the billionaire owners. In very rare cases does the player get the benefit of the doubt.

• Like 2

Just now, Sidearmer said:

I disagree. If you look at the comments made in media and by a lot of fans, its about how the millionaire players are selfish. I vehemently disagree with this, but it seems like the owners win this PR battle every time. Think of NFL players holding out, college players sitting out, home town discounts. Fans always get mad at the players that are held hostage by the billionaire owners. In very rare cases does the player get the benefit of the doubt.

Can't disagree w/anything you say; Post-Covid throws a big wrench into how things usually work though imo. 

The NFL Draft was very highly rated this year. Any type of new, "live" programming is going to be devoured in the post-Covid media environment. 

People now more than ever are ready to completely forget bout something that's not there in favor of what is. Loyalty is gone. In order for baseball to be seen it has to actually occur - no one is going to care if they can't make a bargain and that could be a death blow for the entire operation. If I was an owner I'd be concerned about this highly unusual situation and I'd want my product displayed in this environment one way or another.

Anecdotally, it seems to me most people who are baseball fans but haven't really followed the particulars of this situation seem mad at both players and owners. 

So far, to me at least,it's been a relatively predictable negotiation - the owners hastily agreed to prorated salaries in March even though empty stadiums were on the table, they expected to get bailed out with a renegotiation, they attempted to lowball with revenue share to get the best possible deal for themselves, the players pushed back and now they are trying to meet in the middle.

But if owners don't offer deferrals or the players don't accept it things could go south in a hurry for one side or the other.

• Like 1

Fans desperately trying to just get enough food for their kids to eat and keep their homes/apts aren't on either the ultra rich owners side or the millionaire players side either.  Both of these "sides" live in an alternate universe that just plain seems obscene with small businesses closing, workers losing their jobs at those places forever, children going hungry and people starting to join the homeless ranks.  Fans can't identify with rich folk arguing over a few millions here or there.  Again, as Shakespeare would say, "A plague on both their houses."

The one set of ball players fans can identify with would be:

The A's told their minor leaguers Tuesday that they will not continue to pay them their current salary of $400 per week beyond May 31.

One would expect no more from A's owner John Fisher. A's minor leaguers will remain employees of the team, making them unable to file for unemployment, yet they'll be entirely unpaid until said time that they're suddenly expected to report to camp in tip-top shape, ready to play baseball once again. That just doesn't seem entirely fair for some reason.

Source: Jeff Passan on Twitter                           May 26, 2020, 8:04 PM ET

Those A's minor leaguers people CAN identify with because they are in  the same boat as the rest of America.  They live in the real world and not in the rich folks bubbleworld.  Not holed up in billionaire mansions or millionaire manor houses arguing over how many yachts and sports cars each side should get but rather how to provide a roof over your head and food in your belly.  Also your next door neighbor who is a nurse has seen more death and pain and suffering than soldiers on the front lines of wars usually see.  You think they care about squabbles among the rich and pampered who spend their days the last few months safely swimming in their pools and such?

Once you hit a certain amount of income it doesn't matter if it is billions or millions.  You got yours and then some.  I have no sympathy for either side in arguments over greed between the super ultra rich and the super rich.  I do have sympathy for the A's minor leagues that have been thrown to the wolves by their cheapskate owner.  Now that owner I can work up an anger over for this action.  The rest of the stuff involving wheelbarrows full of tons of money?  Not so much.

• Like 5

That post about the A's just seems like he's dying for a lawsuit.  Crazy 

1 hour ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Need some positive strides today

I think 2020 is done. At best we get like a WBC round robin tournament (which would be fun), but I don’t see any kind of actual season happening. 

4 minutes ago, bigmarc27 said:

I think 2020 is done. At best we get like a WBC round robin tournament (which would be fun), but I don’t see any kind of actual season happening. 

Keep the faith man, but at this point...i personally feel like whatevs...if they keep bickering and wanna tank what little fan base they have, then that’s on them. In today’s world, baseball is becoming more non-relevant by the day....

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Whitecloud0101 said:

Keep the faith man, but at this point...i personally feel like whatevs...if they keep bickering and wanna tank what little fan base they have, then that’s on them. In today’s world, baseball is becoming more non-relevant by the day....

Unfortunate but true. 

it’s amazing really. Baseball had a chance to really reel people in with quick action, but instead football will roll out as usual and clinch their market share even more. 

Edited by bigmarc27

Seems like there is to be a lull In the pissing match until the next revision of the proposal gets volleyed back to the owners. They are simply backing into this with low ball proposals. So it’s a bit of going through the motions. But dang, what kind of goodwill are they producing by trying to isolate high paid players from the average ones? Trying to publicly shame those players doesn’t seem like a exercise in good faith, lol. Intentional or not, they ought to know and move with some respect for the other side. It’s pretty obvious the deferment is the fair middle ground. I am confident they will find it within the next 2 weeks Baseball needs a win right now and the more this public negotiation goes the bigger the black will be left. Wrap it up and let the marketing people take over from there ;)

I think it would be better if they kept negotiations private and stopped leaking every detail to reporters. 

To much emotion involved with every new tweet.   Just tell us when there is an agreement. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Brooklyn Dude said:

I think it would be better if they kept negotiations private and stopped leaking every detail to reporters. 

To much emotion involved with every new tweet.   Just tell us when there is an agreement. 

No such thing as bad press, I suppose.

20 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

No such thing as bad press, I suppose.

I think that message needs to be heavily amended in the social media age.